Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So what's better, Targ Fealty or Targ/Lannister? Drogo and Jaime seem like awesome murderbros.

Also I really have a hardon for underdog factions and combo decks, is Martell/NW with the Wall and poo poo viable at all? Seems like Martell stuff might be controlly enough to defend the wall and they want to go second anyway. If not I'll probably make NW/Bara and just add the "kneel before Mel" module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Can Martell really still be an underdog when it won worlds?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MisterShine posted:

Can Martell really still be an underdog when it won worlds?

Yes. Almost everyone is still saying Martell and NW are the bottom two, and most are dismissing the Worlds thing as some combination of "no one was expecting it" or saying its a super high skill cap deck piloted by a master (to his credit) and the cards are still subpar. Even the guy that won seemed surprised and thought he didn't have a great matchup against the field going in.

I don't necessarily agree, but it's definitely still an underdog house.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I need to figure out what to cut from my Greyjoy fealty deck to jam in Seastone Chair card seems like a lot of pressure.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

EVERYTHING is shipping. Taking the Black, Decree of Ruin, Solo's Command... it's a Black Friday miracle!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

So what's better, Targ Fealty or Targ/Lannister? Drogo and Jaime seem like awesome murderbros.

Also I really have a hardon for underdog factions and combo decks, is Martell/NW with the Wall and poo poo viable at all? Seems like Martell stuff might be controlly enough to defend the wall and they want to go second anyway. If not I'll probably make NW/Bara and just add the "kneel before Mel" module.

I played Targ/Lannister this weekend and it kicked major rear end. Jamie helps with the killing and Tyrion helps you gain gold during the Challenges phase.

I like the concept of Martell with NW, but I think it may be better with Stark. Sansa's ability gives you another source of extra VP that you can trigger each turn if you play right. Might as well go all in on the combo.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I need to figure out what to cut from my Greyjoy fealty deck to jam in Seastone Chair card seems like a lot of pressure.

Post deck?

Also you can toss in less with Support of the People being available now too. You'll always have something you can grab with it in Greyjoy.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MisterShine posted:

Post deck?

Also you can toss in less with Support of the People being available now too. You'll always have something you can grab with it in Greyjoy.

Straight net-decking for now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Looking at that deck, I'm kinda curious on thoughts about The Kraken's Grasp. I've used it to pretty solid effect in the games where I get it, but like Risen From the Sea it tends to get lost in Intrigue challenges. Also with Support of the People, would you still run 3x Great Kraken?

I'm also not sure what Greyjoy Fealty gives you besides cheaper Balon, Euron, Great Kraken and We Do Not Sow. Those are pretty solid reasons, but compared to versatility, I dunno.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

If you go first you can use it before they can Intrigue it away. Planning!

I do Banner of the Sun and run a Paramour straight into their best intrigue person/Jamie Lannister. Going first really is a pretty great defense.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Based on the advice from our local Greyjoy expert I would say 3 Eurons is kind of a trap. He's good but ultimately Balon is where it's at. You can drop him down to one to make room for a Seastone Chair. You might also consider dropping a Great Kraken so you have room for 2 Support of the People's.

As always, YMMV.

Also, I think Wildfire isn't the optimal choice for a deck as aggressive as Greyjoy Fealty. A good player has 2 or 3 characters ready to martial in their hand and typically all you end up doing is clearing out a bunch of mooks. Instead you might include Rise of the Kraken as it can be a game winner as a turn 4 or 5 plot.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
We all know the upside of the LCG model - I have all the cards and can make any deck I want.

The dark downside though - I want to play every deck and the ADD is real.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

We all know the upside of the LCG model - I have all the cards and can make any deck I want.

The dark downside though - I want to play every deck and the ADD is real.

I hear you. I already have a Targ/Lannister and a Bara/Fealty deck built, now to proxy some Milk of the Poppy so I can build Stark/NW and Greyjoy/Something.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pinwiz11 posted:

I hear you. I already have a Targ/Lannister and a Bara/Fealty deck built, now to proxy some Milk of the Poppy so I can build Stark/NW and Greyjoy/Something.

I'm looking at:

Targ/lion or Targ/Sun
Stark/Greyjoy
Tyrell/Sun and eventually Tyrell/Stark when the knight/lady stuff is out
NW/Bara

And basically every deck I read about.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Doomtown and all of it's expansions are on sale at cardhaus today if you want to go all in (:smug:), pardner :clint:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Game of Thrones LCG 2.0 Core set is $20 today at CSI

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/215718

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
I just wrote another CardGameDB article, this time dealing with faction identities in Conquest. It's basically a revamped version of a reply that I made here on SA a while ago which I figured would be useful to newcomers - my hope is to publish something like one article a weak dealing with various fundamental gameplay tips.

We've been seeing several new Conquest players post-Great Devourer release and there's a lot of excitement about the upcoming Planetfall cycle, so my plan is to try and help those newcomers get up to speed quicker.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fetterkey posted:

I just wrote another CardGameDB article, this time dealing with faction identities in Conquest. It's basically a revamped version of a reply that I made here on SA a while ago which I figured would be useful to newcomers - my hope is to publish something like one article a weak dealing with various fundamental gameplay tips.

This is a really good primer that is of immense use to anyone starting out. I especially like the tricks and surprises section, since those tend to gently caress new players hard. I imagine it's frustrating to play and then get hit by a trick you didn't know existed, and while mastery of all of them won't likely come in the first game, it's a good heads up. Another thing that might help newbies is learning what cards are traps. I think Exterminatus is probably a good example of one, since it's really good if it hits, but the occasions for those is so vanishingly rare and pales in comparison to an Indomitable loving up my alpha strike/combat math. I also learned that Synaptic Link is a bit of a trap because losing 2 resources on turn 1 really loving sucks when you only start with 6.

One trick missing from SM is Fury of Sicarius, since that's lovely. Also, it's a debateable trick in Tyranids, but Predation is surprisingly handy, especially in conjunction with Hunter Gargoyles. Shrieking Harpy is probably worth a mention, if only because it would motivate them to put in a couple of Elite units in their deck to win the match point planet. I'm also not sure if it's a trick since it's played in the deploy phase and it's Ork, but Weirdboy Maniak is surprisingly good at decimating planets that are built up, especially if DE/Tyranids put a lot of tokens on it. But really I just want Orks to feel like they have some semblance of subtlety. Also, Staging Ground probably deserves a mention if Ambush Platform does. And the Prelate for Tau, but it's debateable whether it has any lasting power or just in my gimmick ambush Tau deck.

I just played a game that ended weirdly. My opponent was playing Zarathur, and put a 4 damage Zarathur on a planet with a (3 damage) Gleeful Plague Beast, Flamers, and a whole bunch of other stuff teetering on the brink of death vs. 2 full health Tyranid Warriors, and I just watched everything he had die. I even put a Blazing Zoathrope there to snipe out his Plague Beast post damage but I guess I didn't need to. So uh, the moral of the story is don't (effectively) Warpstorm everyone when you can't take the damage! It wasn't even a match point planet, funny enough.

I also learned that letting SM have access to card draw is a bad idea. So many tricks and shields :(

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 28, 2015

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

This is a really good primer that is of immense use to anyone starting out. I especially like the tricks and surprises section, since those tend to gently caress new players hard. I imagine it's frustrating to play and then get hit by a trick you didn't know existed, and while mastery of all of them won't likely come in the first game, it's a good heads up. Another thing that might help newbies is learning what cards are traps. I think Exterminatus is probably a good example of one, since it's really good if it hits, but the occasions for those is so vanishingly rare and pales in comparison to an Indomitable loving up my alpha strike/combat math. I also learned that Synaptic Link is a bit of a trap because losing 2 resources on turn 1 really loving sucks when you only start with 6.

One trick missing from SM is Fury of Sicarius, since that's lovely. Also, it's a debateable trick in Tyranids, but Predation is surprisingly handy, especially in conjunction with Hunter Gargoyles. Shrieking Harpy is probably worth a mention, if only because it would motivate them to put in a couple of Elite units in their deck to win the match point planet. I'm also not sure if it's a trick since it's played in the deploy phase and it's Ork, but Weirdboy Maniak is surprisingly good at decimating planets that are built up, especially if DE/Tyranids put a lot of tokens on it. But really I just want Orks to feel like they have some semblance of subtlety. Also, Staging Ground probably deserves a mention if Ambush Platform does. And the Prelate for Tau, but it's debateable whether it has any lasting power or just in my gimmick ambush Tau deck.

I just played a game that ended weirdly. My opponent was playing Zarathur, and put a 4 damage Zarathur on a planet with a (3 damage) Gleeful Plague Beast, Flamers, and a whole bunch of other stuff teetering on the brink of death vs. 2 full health Tyranid Warriors, and I just watched everything he had die. I even put a Blazing Zoathrope there to snipe out his Plague Beast post damage but I guess I didn't need to. So uh, the moral of the story is don't (effectively) Warpstorm everyone when you can't take the damage! It wasn't even a match point planet, funny enough.

I also learned that letting SM have access to card draw is a bad idea. So many tricks and shields :(

Thanks! As for the game you mentioned, I'm a little confused - you know Zarathur's reaction doesn't work on his own units, right? In that scenario the Plague Beast would only do 1 damage to all of Zarathur's stuff.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have only dabbled a little with WH40K on OCTGN, but I give you major props for doing this, it's awesome.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

Thanks! As for the game you mentioned, I'm a little confused - you know Zarathur's reaction doesn't work on his own units, right? In that scenario the Plague Beast would only do 1 damage to all of Zarathur's stuff.

I did not! In the end it mattered exactly zero since it wasn't even a first planet and next turn I brought in a Shrieking Harpy plus initiative (and I still would have been able to bloody Zarathur with the Blazing), so... Yeah.

Tyranids own and I can't wait for them to get a better one for one command unit that isn't a loving Termagant Sentry.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Am I reading Carn Dum right that if Thraudir champion has 3 sorceries revealed in staging, he gets 3 attacks?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 30, 2015

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Baron Porkface posted:

Am I reading Carn Dum right that if Thraudir champion has 3 sorceries revealed in staging, he gets 3 attacks?

He immediately attacks for each one.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Decree of Ruin just got posted in full to CardGameDB! Rumors indicate the pack itself will be out in the next 1-2 days.

Many of these cards were already spoiled on various podcasts or similar, but there are three new Eldar cards that hadn't made it into the wild yet:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I really hope this and Taking the Black are arriving at the same time because I just want this drat package shipped.

Not sure what to think of Wraithguard Revenant, but I assume they're going to do some sort of spirit-based Eldar warlord at some point where it will slot in well. If you win at a green planet that has a Void Pirate/Rogue Trader/etc on it, would you still get the unit's bonus or does Wraithguard null everything? I guess this question also applies to Archon's Palace but somehow it hasn't come up yet.

I also hope Tyranids get some sort of biomorph-based warlord as well, since they have some really loving fun attachments that almost never make the cut (besides Regen).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fetterkey posted:

Decree of Ruin just got posted in full to CardGameDB! Rumors indicate the pack itself will be out in the next 1-2 days.

Many of these cards were already spoiled on various podcasts or similar, but there are three new Eldar cards that hadn't made it into the wild yet:

these cards look neat. I should really play that game i b ought the entire run of

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Not sure what to think of Wraithguard Revenant, but I assume they're going to do some sort of spirit-based Eldar warlord at some point where it will slot in well. If you win at a green planet that has a Void Pirate/Rogue Trader/etc on it, would you still get the unit's bonus or does Wraithguard null everything? I guess this question also applies to Archon's Palace but somehow it hasn't come up yet.

Nullifies the bonus, since the bonus is an addition to the standard resource/card gain (Palace does too).

FFG also decided to release the preview of the last pack in the cycle today, so we get even more Conquest goodness, including the Eldar warlord at the end of the cycle (with an interesting signature squad featuring two different types of signature army unit):

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

My Majestic Flapflap (Baharroth) deck is so looking forward to those revenants. Real easy to take command at planets with him. Also another good target for ECT since I allied with Tau

That genestealer card gonna play real nice with the Nids too. Spore Chimney > Digestion Pool > Free crazy good 2/2

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

House Stark big box expansion announced:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/2/wolves-of-the-north/

They're changing the release schedule for deluxe expansions, I hope it's for all the games and not just GoT.

quote:

A Note on Timing

Historically, LCG® deluxe expansions have been released between cycles. We are now changing this model to aid the regular release of deluxe expansions. Because of this new model, deluxe expansions like Wolves of the North may be announced and released in the midst of a cycle. The two Chapter Packs remaining in the Westeros cycle will be announced in following months.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Also that FFG is abandoning the Deluxe between Cycle rule and are just going to release them whenever.

Uh yeah, that thing you just said. Uh, direwolves are cool I guess. Man, I wish I gave more of a poo poo about Starks.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My impression is that this would be a really great thing for wh40k

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That seems like a good step. FFG needs to step up getting orders out to LCGs. Owner was telling me he had no way to order new GoT core sets and has no idea when Taking the Black is coming in.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

That seems like a good step. FFG needs to step up getting orders out to LCGs. Owner was telling me he had no way to order new GoT core sets and has no idea when Taking the Black is coming in.

Flgs you man?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Swagger Dagger posted:

House Stark big box expansion announced:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/2/wolves-of-the-north/

They're changing the release schedule for deluxe expansions, I hope it's for all the games and not just GoT.

There's no way this applies to LotR, but it might apply to the rest of their games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't know if it's just because it's Stark, but none of the previewed cards really excite me. I was thinking whether units were inherently that exciting, or whether agendas and/or plot cards are what will dictate actual deck builds. A "loyal" House Stark agenda, for example, would probably be more interesting than Catelyn and The Blackfish, although it's good to see Stark getting some semblance of power game going on.

KidDynamite posted:

Taking the Black has been "shipping now" for about a week, so I would assume any day now? Presumably at around the same time as Decree of Ruin?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if it's just because it's Stark, but none of the previewed cards really excite me. I was thinking whether units were inherently that exciting, or whether agendas and/or plot cards are what will dictate actual deck builds. A "loyal" House Stark agenda, for example, would probably be more interesting than Catelyn and The Blackfish, although it's good to see Stark getting some semblance of power game going on.

Taking the Black has been "shipping now" for about a week, so I would assume any day now? Presumably at around the same time as Decree of Ruin?

From the front desk guy at the FFg event center:

Sorry All, but the following card packs will be delayed until next Monday, December 7th:
*Taking the Black for A Game of Thrones
*Decree of Ruin for Conquest
*Solo's Command for Star Wars

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dang, I guess we won't be getting the second pack of these cycles this year.

And yeah, Stark are probably the faction I'm most ehhh about right after Baratheon, right now at least. I like some of their individual cards but when I build decks I'm always pulled towards the high early military claim aggro build and I'm kind of tired of that. They don't have very good draw for slower archetypes, especially if you banner. They might become more interesting with those cards like Rodrik and Ward that they previewed.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Stark/Greyjoy can be quite strong - it's one-note, but my Stark/Greyjoy deck often just wipes the board in the first two turns or so.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I assume there'll be a House Tully agenda that can only go with Stark and does some power gain stuff since that seems to be what Tullys do, which doesn't strike me as very thematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

I've been wistfully poking at a Stark/NW deck of 'Direwolves and the People They Love,' so I'm quite pleased by the bigbox news.