Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?

orange sky posted:

I will love you forever if you can answer this question: do you guys know of a good MDM solution that will identify first and foremost devices (with certificates or something like that) and only then identify username/password?

We have a very security strict client that doesn't want any requests hitting Exchange from ActiveSync until the device has been proven to be safe/managed.

For the best question I'll buy an avatar gift :).

E: Also, no Domain servers on the DMZ. (just to make it challenging)

We currently use Airwatch and push the VPN settings down through it. Then we require them to VPN into the DMZ in order for them to access active sync and only from company owned secured devices. From a security stand point if the devices are not company owned and you allow them to install whatever apps they want then those apps could potentially be accessing the email synced to the device or worse if you are just dropped the devices into your network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

:boom:

Work just approved permanent 4days/week telework.

Feels good man.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone ever use BMC Performance Manager Portal? I just inherited it and want to become supreme master wizard at it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mayodreams posted:

I've met a few people who went to Northeastern, but they were not in technology, but otherwise very nice people!

Good to know. I'm worried about getting a BA from them and then finding out it's on the level for-profit college trash like devry.

related, some school finding assistance website I signed up for called me to try and find a good match. When I told them I don't want a trashy for profit college he went silent for a bit and proceeded to apologize because his zip code filter didn't pull up anything not Devry or ITTech. :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

When I took the ASVAB the recruiter told me I had the second highest math score on that round for all of southern California. I'm terrible at math so I could only wonder how bad everyone else was. He said that between my score and having a degree I could pick whatever MOS I wanted but there was always the chance my selections would be ignored and I'd just get dumped into something like 92W.

First time I took it they graded it with the wrong key. I had a recruiter calling me to chastise me for wasting their time, and would I like to join the military. Second time I took it they graded it correctly and I got a nearly perfect score. Same recruiter called me back "Uh, I guess you weren't lying when you said they mis-graded it. Want to join the military?"

Both times I told him I took it to get out of a day of class, not because I wanted to join the military. He eventually got the hint when I told him about my asthma and all time best quarter mile run time being above what a lot of people consider a reasonable full mile time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't know what the process is like now but after a few detailed talks with the recruiter he broke out a picture book. He would slowly turn each page and ask a related question. So a page might have a photo of a bunch of recruits carrying a raft dashing across a stream and he'd ask "Are you interested in joining for the adventure?" Then he'd turn the page and there would be a stock photo of a pile of gold coins and he'd ask "Are you interested in joining for the money?"

It was so strange and jarring after discussing it like two adults. Yes, please sign me up for the raft-run and pile of gold coins. :patriot:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know what the process is like now but after a few detailed talks with the recruiter he broke out a picture book. He would slowly turn each page and ask a related question. So a page might have a photo of a bunch of recruits carrying a raft dashing across a stream and he'd ask "Are you interested in joining for the adventure?" Then he'd turn the page and there would be a stock photo of a pile of gold coins and he'd ask "Are you interested in joining for the money?"

It was so strange and jarring after discussing it like two adults. Yes, please sign me up for the raft-run and pile of gold coins. :patriot:

Does the raft lead to the pile of gold? That would be the best rafting trip ever! Also, white water rafting rocks everyone should do it at some point.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know what the process is like now but after a few detailed talks with the recruiter he broke out a picture book.

I'm tempted to call shenanigans on this but at the same time given your luck it wouldn't be exactly outside the realm of possibility.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I swear it's true. I was dumbfounded. I saw plenty of weird stuff during that process, medical testing, etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Walked posted:

:boom:

Work just approved permanent 4days/week telework.

Feels good man.

Dude I'm back working another project with your parent agency and just lol, I forgot how it was.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know what the process is like now but after a few detailed talks with the recruiter he broke out a picture book.

This was all over the phone for me. Like hell I was stepping foot in one of their offices.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Someone from a law firm here reached out to me on Linkedin.

I know, yeah yeah I get these all the time skooma, but it's nice to know I'm attracting something. I'm wary though in that they haven't filled the position in a month and are actively trying to drive people to the position. It's a law firm with at least 3 offices and 90 users, so I smell a lot of concierge, remote, and on call support.

Still, it's nice to know I have options. I've been chafing a little bit at my current gig. I'm going to politely decline, add her, and check back with them when I'm ready/forced to start looking.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got a call from a recruiter today asking if I wanted to work as a camera developer for 60k a year in San Diego. When I told him that there's no way I would take that position for anything less than 120k due to the expense of living there and the nature of the work he asked me: "Are you married? Perhaps your wife can work as well!"

Yeah no thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

skooma512 posted:

I know, yeah yeah I get these all the time skooma, but it's nice to know I'm attracting something. I'm wary though in that they haven't filled the position in a month and are actively trying to drive people to the position. It's a law firm with at least 3 offices and 90 users, so I smell a lot of concierge, remote, and on call support.

Still, it's nice to know I have options. I've been chafing a little bit at my current gig. I'm going to politely decline, add her, and check back with them when I'm ready/forced to start looking.

Might as well take the opportunity and set up and interview, though? I mean, why the gently caress not right?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skooma512 posted:

gently caress lawyers and computers. Good god they're bad. At an msp I supported numerous small law firms and they're all the same.

First, they never stop working so you're on call every day all the time. I got a ticket one night that a vpn kept dropping, while the laptop was tethered to a cell phone, while driving to a remote cabin in Canada.

Second, if they want thing, they will be intolerable until they get thing. Like children. One lawyer hated his Lenovo touch pad so he spent weeks listing 30+ various 'issues' with the laptop to justify getting a new one. Company wouldn't approve a new one so I had to sink hours into responding to each individual issue. 90% were bullshit "you can't do this".

If there writing on the wall that they don't value IT work its not worth any amount of money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tehfeer posted:

We currently use Airwatch and push the VPN settings down through it. Then we require them to VPN into the DMZ in order for them to access active sync and only from company owned secured devices. From a security stand point if the devices are not company owned and you allow them to install whatever apps they want then those apps could potentially be accessing the email synced to the device or worse if you are just dropped the devices into your network.

It's looking like my org is going to go with Airwatch. I might have to pick your brain some implementation time.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I used to support a small law office in my MSP days, and it was honestly one of my better clients. The two big things were (1) got the secretary/office manager on my side almost immediately, and she would get poo poo done. She cared about doing the job well, and would work to understand when I had to explain something complex. The other biggie was (2) I was part of an MSP, and therefore billing by the hour. Billing is definitely something lawyers understand. Any minute I was working on something or explaining why something was a bad idea, they were paying for, which also meant they were paying attention.

They weren't exactly free-flowing with the money, but they weren't tight-fisted, either. A justified explanation was enough to get back-end upgrades or new services in the door.

This was a very small three-lawyer firm. Your mileage will vary.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I used to support a small law office in my MSP days, and it was honestly one of my better clients. The two big things were (1) got the secretary/office manager on my side almost immediately, and she would get poo poo done. She cared about doing the job well, and would work to understand when I had to explain something complex. The other biggie was (2) I was part of an MSP, and therefore billing by the hour. Billing is definitely something lawyers understand. Any minute I was working on something or explaining why something was a bad idea, they were paying for, which also meant they were paying attention.

They weren't exactly free-flowing with the money, but they weren't tight-fisted, either. A justified explanation was enough to get back-end upgrades or new services in the door.

The MSP I worked for supported a couple of small firms (dozen people tops) and they were actually probably some of our best clients. They were willing to spend when they needed to and weren't assholes even if they had a serious outage of something (like loving Sage Timeslips :argh: )

We also did what was effectively remote hands support for two huge law firms and they were the absolute worst.

It's like anything else where it depends if people see IT as an asset or a chore, except with people who bill at 4 figures per hour and are used to having what are effectively serfs doing their bidding!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Our MSP had a pay-per-month structure that included unlimited business hours support, which is closer to what internal IT will deal with. And let me tell you that if lawyers are told "you're paying whether you use our service or not", they will unload a pile of poo poo every time the most minor thing comes up.

Also, legal secretaries are some of the most overworked and over-pressured employees you'll experience in any field, moreso in larger firms. When their poo poo breaks it's a loving level 10 emergency and they don't have time for you to fix it. If they can't get the work done, even if it's not their fault, they could either be fired or offloaded to the newest babby attorney handling petty cases (which means their work isn't recognized and they can't advance). I always had sympathy for those secretaries because they honestly worked hard every day. At the same time, it's so hard to work with because they want you to fix stuff during lunch hours or after 6 PM.

Inspector_666 posted:

(like loving Sage Timeslips :argh: )

loving triggered

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Might as well take the opportunity and set up and interview, though? I mean, why the gently caress not right?

Serious question, how do you guys get time off for interviews that you're not serious about? I am wanting to leave come the new year and will interview, but doing so will cause some major issues, meaning:

1. I am salary, but have a 9 hour shift that I need to be present for. All time off has to be scheduled at least 2 weeks in advance.
2. I work from home, so if I am sick I ... work from home. Vacation and sick time are in the same bucket, and I don't want to cancel a vacation because I couldn't work.
3. The last time I tried to take time off for a appointment, I got it approved, came in to work early so I wouldn't have to take the time off, and then had to cancel the appointment at the last minute because an outage conference call went over.
4. I can't really just duck out, because my job is a bit high paced and time utilization on trouble tickets is tracked.

So basically unless I could schedule an interview 2 weeks out and burn a day, it would be very hard to go to a casual interview.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Serious question, how do you guys get time off for interviews that you're not serious about? I am wanting to leave come the new year and will interview, but doing so will cause some major issues, meaning:

1. I am salary, but have a 9 hour shift that I need to be present for. All time off has to be scheduled at least 2 weeks in advance.
2. I work from home, so if I am sick I ... work from home. Vacation and sick time are in the same bucket, and I don't want to cancel a vacation because I couldn't work.
3. The last time I tried to take time off for a appointment, I got it approved, came in to work early so I wouldn't have to take the time off, and then had to cancel the appointment at the last minute because an outage conference call went over.
4. I can't really just duck out, because my job is a bit high paced and time utilization on trouble tickets is tracked.

So basically unless I could schedule an interview 2 weeks out and burn a day, it would be very hard to go to a casual interview.
Lots of hiring managers will do a first-round over Skype or Google Hangouts or whatever if you explain your situation and ask nicely

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Do phone interviews when you can. Most places now seem to do at least 2-3 rounds of interviews anyway so you might as well get the first one or two casual ones done over the phone if you can. If you want you can do Skype video calls too.

Do you have a lunch? Try to schedule any interviews over that hour if you can, are you so far away at home that driving over the lunch hour isnt possible? If so just preemptively schedule an hour or two a couple of weeks out and let the prospective employers interview you then.

Finally, prepare to have a couple of "sick" days. Try and get a couple of interviews lined up for that sick day and knock them all out at once. If a place likes you enough they will work around your schedule a bit.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

MF_James posted:

Looking for any sysadmins?

I livein chicago and commute to the south suburbs, yes, it's pretty awful, not quite as bad as trying to take 90/94 west/north, but 55 is no picnic

We are. PM me.

I am in the north 'burbs and take the Metra to Union Station and am thankful I am not in driving commute hell.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mayodreams posted:

We are. PM me.

I am in the north 'burbs and take the Metra to Union Station and am thankful I am not in driving commute hell.

I'm out west (naperville) and take all sorts of back roads to avoid 88 in the morning. I don't think anybody could pay me enough to get all the way in to Chicago every day, I'd have a stress-induced heart attack within a year.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm out west (naperville) and take all sorts of back roads to avoid 88 in the morning. I don't think anybody could pay me enough to get all the way in to Chicago every day, I'd have a stress-induced heart attack within a year.

Driving, sure. The Metra's not all that bad though if your office is anywhere near a station.

Naperville to Union is about an hour out of your life though, even express.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I drive from Glen Ellyn to Lincolnshire when I go into the office. Since we're allowed to set our own hours (within reason), I basically do 6:30 to 2:30 to avoid rush hour in both directions. I'm on 355/290 from about 5:45 AM to 6:15AM in and 2:40PM to 3:10PM back on those days. No real delays at that time. But leave 15 to 20mins later I can add at least 30 mins on my commute in either direction. Any late day meetings I'll just take from home (and leave a little early to compensate).

Because gently caress rush hour around Schaumburg.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Nothing was said in our meeting today about the illegal pay docking plan or the company fun bux. My manager subsequently took the support people aside and said to ignore the boss when he does those kinds of things because he gets emotional and spouts off.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Nothing was said in our meeting today about the illegal pay docking plan or the company fun bux. My manager subsequently took the support people aside and said to ignore the boss when he does those kinds of things because he gets emotional and spouts off.
"Someone hacked my email!"

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

PBS posted:

Driving, sure. The Metra's not all that bad though if your office is anywhere near a station.

Naperville to Union is about an hour out of your life though, even express.

Yeah our office is at Washington and Clark, so its a good 10-12 minute walk from the train stations. I certainly wouldn't want to be any further than I am now. I am about 75 minutes door to door now and that really adds up, but I am not thrilled about living in the city so I have to deal with it.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

mayodreams posted:

Yeah our office is at Washington and Clark, so its a good 10-12 minute walk from the train stations. I certainly wouldn't want to be any further than I am now. I am about 75 minutes door to door now and that really adds up, but I am not thrilled about living in the city so I have to deal with it.

Yes, it's unfortunate. Your commute is a bit worse than mine, but not by much.

A train commute is not nearly so bad as a car commute IMO, at least on a train you don't have to pay attention to what you're doing. You can play around on your phone or computer for a majority of the duration of the trip.

I hate sitting in stop and go traffic for 80 minutes on my drive home every day.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I have a 45 minute commute and it feels long. You guys are hardcore.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PBS posted:

Yes, it's unfortunate. Your commute is a bit worse than mine, but not by much.

A train commute is not nearly so bad as a car commute IMO, at least on a train you don't have to pay attention to what you're doing. You can play around on your phone or computer for a majority of the duration of the trip.

I hate sitting in stop and go traffic for 80 minutes on my drive home every day.

Yup, I'm about 35-45 minutes going to the office and 35mins-1.5hrs going home, depending on when I leave, I've gotten into the habit of coming into the office around 9-10 and leaving 6-8pm because that gets me on the shorter end of the commutes. Driving does suck though, I'm literally wasting around 10 hours a week sitting in the car, if I could be on a train/bus for that time I'd be able to do other things. I can't really read while in cars/trains/planes without getting sick, but I could type up documentation or whatever, or just sit and relax.

*EDIT*

mayodreams posted:

We are. PM me.

shot you a PM

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 2, 2015

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Kashuno posted:

I have a 45 minute commute and it feels long. You guys are hardcore.

I really can't stand it, the commute and a number of other things are really driving me towards quitting. I've got my foot in the door at a large, good enough to work for company. I'm trying to ride it out long enough to find another position here.

No luck so far, not really sure if I"ll make it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

flosofl posted:

I drive from Glen Ellyn to Lincolnshire when I go into the office. Since we're allowed to set our own hours (within reason), I basically do 6:30 to 2:30 to avoid rush hour in both directions. I'm on 355/290 from about 5:45 AM to 6:15AM in and 2:40PM to 3:10PM back on those days. No real delays at that time. But leave 15 to 20mins later I can add at least 30 mins on my commute in either direction. Any late day meetings I'll just take from home (and leave a little early to compensate).

Because gently caress rush hour around Schaumburg.

I think I almost applied to a help desk position at your office, at least I think so because I didn't think there was much in Lincolnshire other then lovely rich assholes.

Is this true, and am I too green for it? I didn't see much detail on monster.

edit: probably not, but company started with a M

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 2, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Tbh since the company is covering a pluralsight membership I tend to just watch those videos during my commute because I commute via train.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

PBS posted:

It's also expensive as poo poo. Parking at the station and a monthly metra pass is way more than driving in traffic, even with tolls.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's also expensive as poo poo. Parking at the station and a monthly metra pass is way more than driving in traffic, even with tolls.

Yes, but napping and watching tv shows on your tablet of choice is frowned upon on the expressways.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Commute chat?

10 minutes in heavy traffic. :smug:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

raise your hand if you work from home and sometimes don't even get out of bed until you have to take a piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ratbert90 posted:

Commute chat?

I literally just bought a house .5 miles from my work, because :smug: