Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Owlfancier, get yourself a Desdinova and then reevaluate your opinion.

IMO Desdinovas are one of the best ships to have as the player flagship. Great speed, decent flux stats, and great firepower in a destroyer-sized package. I'm a big fan of the Hunter-Killer fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Name rings a bell, I think I might have flown one of those? I quite like the Seski and Enil at the moment, both being quite well armed and zippy.

I'm also curious what on earth the big cruiser is packing that lets it one shot things from half a mile away with a giant railgun or something.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That would be its built-in spinal mount fuckoff cannon.

"Well armed and zippy" is pretty much the faction ethos for BRDY. The Desdinova takes that to the extreme and is a ton of fun to fly.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Really happy about the upcoming changes. In my first go at 0.7 I probably managed to survive due to an early Afflictor (tie up 50 command points of enemy fleet just by scaring them with antimatter and torpedoes while the rest get cleaned) and the Independent military market in Sindria's system, which otherwise is a really poor choice of faction due to locking the remaining 90% of space behind Hegemony and Tri-Tach murder patrols. The complete drop in paying bounties after the investigations really hurts if you haven't managed to get going with a fleet that can plow through faction patrols without eating itself to death.

Is there any significant difference in tech availability between factions, except for the great Tri-Tach / rest of world divide? Otherwise factions like Sindria and the church look mostly like a difficulty toggle over Hegemony, which I don't mind but I'd love variety.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Medusas with SO, blasters, and a high-level player character should be outlawed. :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Irae posted:

Really happy about the upcoming changes. In my first go at 0.7 I probably managed to survive due to an early Afflictor (tie up 50 command points of enemy fleet just by scaring them with antimatter and torpedoes while the rest get cleaned) and the Independent military market in Sindria's system, which otherwise is a really poor choice of faction due to locking the remaining 90% of space behind Hegemony and Tri-Tach murder patrols. The complete drop in paying bounties after the investigations really hurts if you haven't managed to get going with a fleet that can plow through faction patrols without eating itself to death.

Is there any significant difference in tech availability between factions, except for the great Tri-Tach / rest of world divide? Otherwise factions like Sindria and the church look mostly like a difficulty toggle over Hegemony, which I don't mind but I'd love variety.

Tri tach get high tech ships, sindria theoretically favor midline ships more than the hegemony, they're things like the eagle and falcon, hegemony like the big dumb gunboats.

Not sure about the luddites, I think they like the hegemony tech but the luddic path like their tweaked out nitro boosted frigates a lot.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Got Nex working and it's a ton of fun. Maybe it's it's because I just came off a game where I was level 30 and had 10 combat 7 tech but vanilla ships handle like utter junk. I engaged a dark spire fleet that was fighting a neutral faction and, well :stare:

Any tips for the mod? I wen for Corvus mode fast start and tri-tach. Is there an easier starting faction?

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
I was thinking more about what they allow you to buy rather than what they use in their fleets. I haven't noticed any significant difference so far between Sindria and Jangala's military markets, they both seem to sell the big dumb stuff like Onslaughts and Conquests.

I'm ok with having to earn variety in black markets / independents / boarding, especially if I don't auto lose thousands of credits in marines every time.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Am I better off waiting for 7.1 to start modding the game or just go hog wild now? Had the game for ages but only just started playing since the update and it has finally clicked.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Anticheese posted:

Medusas with SO, blasters, and a high-level player character should be outlawed. :stare:

What is SO? I just got a Medusa myself, I just now rigged it with dual heavy blasters, PD lasers in the pack and Harpoon missiles. It is tres deadly, even in my incapable hands.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Count Roland posted:

What is SO? I just got a Medusa myself, I just now rigged it with dual heavy blasters, PD lasers in the pack and Harpoon missiles. It is tres deadly, even in my incapable hands.

The Safety Override hullmod. Among other things, it makes you dissipate flux a lot faster at the cost of not being able to vent, as well as improving your top speed at the cost of drastically reducing your peak combat readiness time. Great for berserker builds intended to get in quick and kill a lot of poo poo very fast.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tomn posted:

The Safety Override hullmod. Among other things, it makes you dissipate flux a lot faster at the cost of not being able to vent, as well as improving your top speed at the cost of drastically reducing your peak combat readiness time. Great for berserker builds intended to get in quick and kill a lot of poo poo very fast.

Ah yes. I think that is not for me, I find a lot of my battles are matters of attrition, if anything i'd go for that combat readiness mod, I forget what its called.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thanks for the BRDY love!

Starsector's slow development cycle is a blessing for modding if you started early. I've had years to polish at this point, and it's really nice to add to something that already feels quite complete. That said, the new patch basically killed SS+, so it's taken a lot of time to put the pieces back together. I'm pretty sure SS+ will come out around the time the hotfix drops, there are a lot of vanilla bugs that screw things up right now.

There's also one that makes beam effects draw wrong which is unavoidable and won't be taken care of until the hotfix, which kinda made me hold BRDY back a bit as I didn't want to release a bugged Morpheus.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 2, 2015

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I was wondering how badly SS+ got mangled due to the patch. I mean, it has a lot of moving parts (systems, mechanics, etc.) and I'm sure every major patch release completely re-writes it.

It sounds like the hotfix isn't far off so hopefully that BRDY update isn't too long... :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Irae posted:

I was thinking more about what they allow you to buy rather than what they use in their fleets. I haven't noticed any significant difference so far between Sindria and Jangala's military markets, they both seem to sell the big dumb stuff like Onslaughts and Conquests.

I'm ok with having to earn variety in black markets / independents / boarding, especially if I don't auto lose thousands of credits in marines every time.

Well much like their fleet compositions, there is a large amount of overlap between sindria and hegemony markets, because there aren't enough midline ships to field a full fleet, and both factions have access to both ship sets. Hegemony just favor shitbrick ships a bit more than Sindria do.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I really really hope there's a space station/colony building aspect eventually added in to this. It would probably be up in my top 3 of all games all time if it had that. I know there's that industry skills section... I wonder what will be developed.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Well, there's that "Outpost" button that's currently greyed out, so I'm guessing building space stations is going to be a thing eventually.

OwlFancier posted:

Hegemony just favor shitbrick ships a bit more than Sindria do.
Enforcers and Dominators are excellent ships thank you very much. :colbert:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

Am I better off waiting for 7.1 to start modding the game or just go hog wild now? Had the game for ages but only just started playing since the update and it has finally clicked.

Start now, 7.1 is supposed to be a minor update which most likely won't affect your mod unless you aim to make a total conversion mod.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Garfu posted:

I really really hope there's a space station/colony building aspect eventually added in to this. It would probably be up in my top 3 of all games all time if it had that. I know there's that industry skills section... I wonder what will be developed.

Since the settlements have various attributes, it looks like there is a sort of foundation for making your own. I assume they'd involving settling an empty world or abandoned station.

Of course, for that to work we'd need colonists! That and/or slaves would make an interesting addition to the commodities section.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

-Troika- posted:

There's a hell of a lot of anime going on in that post :v:

He knew the risks going in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Exodee posted:

Enforcers and Dominators are excellent ships thank you very much. :colbert:

They're very good shitbricks yes. There is nothing subtle about a massive block of metal covered in ballistic hardpoints but that does not mean it isn't effective.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Enforcers are my favorite non-Sunder destroyer. I even like them more than Medusas. They never have the flux capacity to handle all those medium mounts but for a few brief seconds, they bring cruiser-level firepower. I've been putting Kinetic (Autocannons, Hypervelocity Drivers, etc.) on Group 1 and HE (Maulers, Chainguns, etc.) on Group 2 and just switch when shields go down. Keeps flux within manageable levels and once I get level 5 in missile specialization, 8 Reapers await. :getin:

Sunders are still the alpha-strike kings, IMO. Autopulse with Extended Magazines (with the High Energy Focus ability!) can usually wipe out another destroyer in the first volley and put serious hurt on a cruiser. I guess a Plasma Cannon could do the same but the Autopulse does it way more flux efficiently.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can rid up an SO Sunder that can fire a plasma cannon for all 150 seconds of peak performance and then some. It's glorious.

The more I play lately the more I realize I just want to get in knife fight range with some kinetic machine guns and as many annihilators as I can cram on a hull. It's just so satisfying.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 2, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I wish there was a PD system halfway between an assault chaingun and vulcan cannon. Something with the ROF and accuracy of the vulcan but the range of the AC and frag damage somewhere in between. Or even just a non-terrible vulcan cannon, the range on it is so short by the time anything is in range you won't have time to destroy it unless you're moving away from the projectile.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Minarchist posted:

I wish there was a PD system halfway between an assault chaingun and vulcan cannon. Something with the ROF and accuracy of the vulcan but the range of the AC and frag damage somewhere in between. Or even just a non-terrible vulcan cannon, the range on it is so short by the time anything is in range you won't have time to destroy it unless you're moving away from the projectile.

Diable Avionics has the Raptor, a frankly ridiculous medium mount vulcan with 550 range, 50 damage, and 1200 rounds a minute. How to handle 400 flux per second in a single point defense mount is left as an exercise for the reader. Imperium has the similar Hailfire Chaingun, with less range, accuracy and much less flux consumption. Fleaden provides a small dual flak, considerably slower fire rate than the vulcan but 500 range and good accuracy.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 2, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

BRDY has the Shredder Battery, which has a staggering 800 frag dps and 550 range IIRC, and its flux costs are minimal. It's not super accurate, but the sheer volume of fire saturates an entire area and blows swarms of missiles away. It also chews through exposed hull ridiculously fast.

For small mount PD, the small mount Shredder MGs are quite good and have much better range than the vanilla Vulcans.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I've been away from SS so long and never got into mods...I love running Tri-Tach ships the most but that's all good to know :shobon:

Once everything's compatible with 0.7 I'll force myself to branch out a bit more.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Minarchist posted:

The Thumper is almost exactly this. It's actually pretty good at what it does - especially on crusty ships like the Enforcer destroyer, where you have more medium mounts than your flux can support.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Tarezax posted:

BRDY has the Shredder Battery, which has a staggering 800 frag dps and 550 range IIRC, and its flux costs are minimal. It's not super accurate, but the sheer volume of fire saturates an entire area and blows swarms of missiles away. It also chews through exposed hull ridiculously fast.

For small mount PD, the small mount Shredder MGs are quite good and have much better range than the vanilla Vulcans.

Was about to post this. Shredder batteries are over-sized Vulcans except they do have burst fire rather than a constant stream like the Vulcan. Still, their area denial for missiles are incredible.

I believe Imperium has the Sagitarrius: it has a long wind up and ammo but it shoots out like 400 shots in 3 seconds and chews throw anything in its path. Once armor is gone, it simply destroys stuff. It also has a most satisfying sound effect. :)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
As far as tankers go, I like to lug one around just to scoop up all the excess fuel that drops from larger fleet engagements. Someone somewhere usually needs fuel so it's a little extra cash.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

-Troika- posted:

As far as tankers go, I like to lug one around just to scoop up all the excess fuel that drops from larger fleet engagements. Someone somewhere usually needs fuel so it's a little extra cash.

If I ever see a pirate fleet wandering around with a Dram I will go after that fleet simply because Drams are probably the best source for Swarmer SRMs. I love those juicy little tankers :3:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

^ You also get a ton of fuel for blowing up Drams.

I like Shredders if you have more than one. Your PD screen can get holes in it from the reload delay if you're unlucky. Shredder battery practically does the duty of a Flak Cannon though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

^ You also get a ton of fuel for blowing up Drams.

I like Shredders if you have more than one. Your PD screen can get holes in it from the reload delay if you're unlucky. Shredder battery practically does the duty of a Flak Cannon though.

Oh yeah, back before the game expanded out of the single system fuel was like a whole extra currency since it had no other use :v: Drams were and still are a great pit stop for some fuel.

Shredders used to be Ironweavers or something like that, right? I used them in preference to all other small mount PD.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yep. That must have been back in early 2013, the age of Uomoz's.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I should probably chuck in some love for BRDY as well, I always underappreciate the quality because the actual ships are generally of zero interest to me and I don't at all like their aesthetics. But the quality of the work is stellar. I'm warming to some of their designs lately too.

OwlFancier posted:

Name rings a bell, I think I might have flown one of those? I quite like the Seski and Enil at the moment, both being quite well armed and zippy.

I'm also curious what on earth the big cruiser is packing that lets it one shot things from half a mile away with a giant railgun or something.

You are mixing up BRDY and Shadowyards. And shame on the rest of you for not noticing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I noticed but didn't bother to correct the error. It wasn't clear whether he was talking about having gotten Desdinovas from BRDY in the previous version.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

FooF posted:

Was about to post this. Shredder batteries are over-sized Vulcans except they do have burst fire rather than a constant stream like the Vulcan. Still, their area denial for missiles are incredible.

I believe Imperium has the Sagitarrius: it has a long wind up and ammo but it shoots out like 400 shots in 3 seconds and chews throw anything in its path. Once armor is gone, it simply destroys stuff. It also has a most satisfying sound effect. :)

Yeah Shredders are awesome - the fact that they're incredibly inaccurate (and the high projectile speed) is what makes them so good as PD. That's something you notice a lot with properly simulated projectiles in a PD role - many developers make their anti-missile projectile 100% accurate and that often means it never hits because missiles fired at a moving target are constantly moving. You want some inaccuracy in a proper PD weapon.

Thumpers are hugely problematic though - a spin-up time is the worst possible thing to have in a PD weapon, at least if you want something that is similar in role to the vulcan (rapid response PD that doesn't splash).

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thumpers don't have the PD tag and won't aim at missiles. I mean, you certainly can't shoot missiles through 3 thumpers aimed at you, but...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Is there any point to all the (D) ships sold on the market? Does anyone ever buy those?

It'd be nice if you could do something with them, like scrap two (D) ships of the same type to make a normal one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Some mod or another does (did?) offer the ability to refit them to full performance for a price.

Maybe the Tiandong mod?