Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

i have an old mini mac powerpc at my disposal. should i install linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Puppet Master posted:

probably not

a lovely old g4 is fast enough, but 1gb of ram isn't enough to run a proper linux desktop with a web browser and stuff

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
it could still be useful for /something/ though right. idk what. i have a mac mini from ~2009 that i want to pop an old SSD into and use for something but how many computers does one boy need??

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you can install linux on it and a desktop and click around but actually starting firefox (well, iceweasel) will make you thrash swap

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
put the last version of osx that ran on it on it then put on all the apps that never really made it over to intel dedicated oldmac box with like dropbox or whatever to show poo poo in and out of it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

is there a timemachine-esque way to backup a fedora23 installation?

we use spideroak here. i dont use it though because everything worthwhile on my system is in git.(in local branches)

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 2, 2015

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

carry on then posted:

that's the one that requires a flatten and reinstall to get the new version, right?

They've caught on that people don't want to do that and actually test upgrade paths now. Plus, you can just stick your home directory on a different partition and get all back up to speed in like ten minutes after the reinstall, if you want.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

we use spideroak here. i dont use it though because everything worthwhile on my system is in git.(in local branches)

oh hey thats a good point. all my "important" stuff is under source control, i'll just figure out how to do the same with my bespoke .emacs / .bashrc etc files.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

oh hey thats a good point. all my "important" stuff is under source control, i'll just figure out how to do the same with my bespoke .emacs / .bashrc etc files.

don't do what i did the first time and just check my whole homedir into git.

these days i just have a git repo called dotfiles with all my dotfiles and then i have a script that symlinks everything into my homedir. that way i can play around with things like i normally would and then periodically jump into the git dir and check in the things i want to keep.

heres my dotfiles. it's a mess though because that's how i roll

https://github.com/daviswahl/dotfiles

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
honestly the biggest loss in the event of something bad are private keys. what do you all do about that?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
thanks shoegaze!

as for private keys; i have, done probably the wrong thing and, put them on a thumb drive

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also dont run any of those scripts if you value your homedir

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

honestly the biggest loss in the event of something bad are private keys. what do you all do about that?

regenerate and panic *nods*

or keep them in your password manager

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

so i've been looking at sensu/influxdb/grafana for monitoring/metrics instead of nagios/munin in tyol2015

does it really expect me to compile rubby c extensions on nodes
do i really have to construct my own dashboards instead of bundling something sane by default like munin

looks like nagios/munin is still the pro choice, sadly

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the enterprisey faux-tape option

bacula pretends everything is a tape. up to and including s3.

it wouldnt be hard to replicate what time machine does with rsync hard links

rsync -avz --delete --link-dest="/backup/myshit-`date +"%Y%m%d"`/" root@le-timemachine:/home/idiot /backup/myshit-today/

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

so i've been looking at sensu/influxdb/grafana for monitoring/metrics instead of nagios/munin in tyol2015

does it really expect me to compile rubby c extensions on nodes
do i really have to construct my own dashboards instead of bundling something sane by default like munin

munin is poo poo lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Puppet Master posted:

no

you should install MorphOS and experience something everyone should at least once in their life:

being that one weird Amiga user

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

it wouldnt be hard to replicate what time machine does with rsync hard links

rsync -avz --delete --link-dest="/backup/myshit-`date +"%Y%m%d"`/" root@le-timemachine:/home/idiot /backup/myshit-today/

does rsync also support directory hard links? (do any linuxes even support them yet?)

Time Machine uses them heavily to reduce snapshot size while providing "complete" snapshots

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

munin is poo poo lol

ya. recommend me something better please.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

my stepdads beer posted:

gently caress no.

How big a setup ? For a small number of servers graphite backend, seyren or bosun for alerting , grafana for visualisation.

If you need to be recording millions of points per minute or need HA Grafana or metrilyx / OpenTSDB / Bosun

If they ever get it to work properly influx has graphite support and a better query language but they keep making breaking changes to it because the storage backend doesn't scale and clustering doesn't work.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Backed up onto a thumb drive with a very very long passphrase. Also, create a 128-bit computer-generated passphrase (use keepass) that you can store on your computer keychain.

That way, your long passphrase is never in cleartext and your computer-generated passphrase makes it easy to backup your data yet impossible for anyone to actually try and guess.

Unless you pull a debian and screw up your random number generator or something.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

flyback developer posted:

• Git cannot archive files that can't fit into main memory. So most large files are excluded from backups by default (in the preferences). Hopefully they will fix this bug soon.
  • I am not affiliated with Apple, nor have I even used Time Machine personally. Please don't sue me.

If you haven't used time machine, you don't know how easy it is. The interface is seriously magic and is worth the switch to Mac OS alone.

What I really wanted to post was the comedy option. Put your home partition on LVM and create snapshots. Your snapshots will maintain a perfect image of what your filesystem was like when the snapshot happened, and the actual snapshots are really really quick. It's like having time machine! For engineers. Once you have a need to track down a specific file version, you will be mounting and unmounting partitions like a pro.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

or just use btrfs, snapshotting there is a new world compared to lvm.

use btrfs for timemachine on linux.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

does rsync also support directory hard links? (do any linuxes even support them yet?)

Time Machine uses them heavily to reduce snapshot size while providing "complete" snapshots

umm rsync link-dest generally works the same way, the 'current' snapshot directory is only the size of the changed files

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

or just use btrfs, snapshotting there is a new world compared to lvm.

use btrfs for timemachine on linux.

yeah, this, my machines all take btrfs snapshots on every boot (though i could cron it for every day or something too), and i periodically btrfs send on my desktop | btrfs receive on my server, and clean up old snapshots every once in a while

there are like a half-dozen projects that have automated this in some nice way, but i havent really investigated them much

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i'm always a bit nervous wiht new linux filesystems. is btrfs stable yet? has its creator murdered anyone?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is there actually a desktop Linux that uses btrfs by default .. I know coreos dumped it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
rhel 7 included btrfs as a "technology preview," which must mean it's stable enough for best-effort support.

not exactly a ringing endorsement but still a lot further than reiserfs was ever going to get

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the interesting bit is whether chris mason will murder anyone as btrfs reaches maturity

p. sure this fs stuff is a 'breeds there a man' sort of situation

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
using btrfs with a old kernel (3.x) is inadvisable

i subscribe to the btrfs mailing list and there are regular bug reports and fixes, including one from today in which a btrfs dev (employee of suse i think) says "fixed in 4.4-rc1, patches tagged for backports to 4.2 and 4.3 but not applied yet"

i have had btrfs oddities even in kernel 3.19, and booting the machine with 4.2 magically fixed it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rhel 7 included btrfs as a "technology preview," which must mean it's stable enough for best-effort support.

not exactly a ringing endorsement but still a lot further than reiserfs was ever going to get

that's not completely fair, reiserfs has been successfully performing reads since 2008

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
btrfs is a *lot* better than it was even a year ago, but it still has bugs, and if you need fixes for those bugs you will need to be able to run new kernel versions that have those fixes

as loving terrible as it is that ubuntu breaks kernel ABI compatibility, i did really like that i could sidestep a btrfs issue by apt-get installing linux-generic-lts-wily, rebooting, and having the same filesystem work perfectly fine under 4.2

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

something something prison something something tail packing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pram posted:

umm rsync link-dest generally works the same way, the 'current' snapshot directory is only the size of the changed files

Time Machine will hard link both files that haven't changed and directories whose contents haven't changed, resulting in ref-counted snapshots that can be cleaned up with just an rm.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that is how the rsync command works bro

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

that is how the rsync command works bro

do linux filesystems support hard-linking directories?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your face will support my hard fist

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

do linux filesystems support hard-linking directories?

btrfs supports reflinking

cp --reflink=always

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yfspos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

But that might not be what you want. Just bind-mount the dir you want hardlinked.

e.g. mount --bind dir_i_want_hardlinked newdir