Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Devonaut posted:

I just plug my headphones in and listen to music.

What are you going to do when headphone jacks stop being standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FAUXTON posted:

Cry and stamp my feet and refuse to change.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

FAUXTON posted:

I guess I'll just keep my 2013 moto X forever.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Incidentally some foreign object is stuck in my phone's headphone jack. If only I had a good pair of bluetooth budz.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Lol at the thought of removing the headphone jack before the usb/lightning port and doing charging and data transfer wirelessly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cry and stamp my feet and refuse to change.

They can take your removable battery and SD card slot but they'll never take your phone's butthole, keep up the good fight comrade.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Premature ejacula- posted:

Just set your photos/files to sync and apps to update over WiFi only and the current data caps aren't too restrictive.

This is the sticking point. I can deal with music streaming traffic, but photos and video are brutal. My max upload speed at home is 25KB/s (which completely cripples me from doing anything else). If I take a 200meg video and 4 photos a day (which I do) that's 3 hours of upload time every day.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Jesus christ how paper thin are people making their phones to have to consider removing the headphone jack :psyduck:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Logikv9 posted:

Jesus christ how paper thin are people making their phones to have to consider removing the headphone jack :psyduck:

I imagine it's more a concern of space for battery. Lose the headphone jack and you're freeing up a headphone jack's worth of space internally, plus any various signal poo poo needed to output the audio as well as receive input from a mic that isn't just included with the infrastructure to do it via bluetooth.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

FAUXTON posted:

BT headphones and overall systems management on phones are good enough that there's basically no functional difference from wired headphones unless you're a soundsperg with $500 headphones connected to your phone with a preamp and a plug adapter.

Soundspergs always find a way. I think the majority of the portable amps nowadays use the USB/lightning port for output.

:barf:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

halokiller posted:

Soundspergs always find a way. I think the majority of the portable amps nowadays use the USB/lightning port for output.

:barf:

It appears two of those three pictures were taken on beds, and that's hilariously fitting.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Honestly the hassle of charging your earbuds every few days could well be less than that of untangling cables/cables getting snagged on jacket or doorhandles/poo poo getting trapped in headphone jack. I'm in favour if they can make the headphones also Qi-compatible

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we not just use USB-C as a way to output sound instead? Why do we even need a separate port for this?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Can we not just use USB-C as a way to output sound instead? Why do we even need a separate port for this?

Because someone is going to want to charge their drat phone while using wired usb headphones but not want to use whatever adapter that allows both.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Are there not-stupid-looking BT earbuds that last 8+ hours?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Doesn't using digital output for headphones necessitate a DAC to be integrated into the headphones? That seems lovely

Why not just use a 2.5mm jack if you need to be able to fold your phone into your wallet or whatever

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Astrotrain posted:

Why not just use a 2.5mm jack if you need to be able to fold your phone into your wallet or whatever

We all know the only logical outcome is a smartphone suppository

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So, picked up a 6P two weeks ago, as an upgrade from my Nexus 5.

Wireless charging on the Nexus 5 was an excellent feature. Many a night when I came home exhausted, I'd just slap the thing onto my Tylt Vu charger, secure in the knowledge that it would be fully charged when I woke in the morning, no dexterity required.

I don't miss it on the 6P. Battery life, quick-charging, and Doze means that my typical regimen is, instead, to quickcharge the phone for about an hour at the late night if I think I might want to, and leave the phone unplugged on the bedside all night, secure in the knowledge that it'll be ready to take on the day the next morning, and can top it up to full if I feel like it in about 15 minutes.

At this point, I'm pretty much used to the size. It won't sit in my shirt pockets without sticking out, which is a bit of an annoyance, but I'll deal with that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate wired headphones and I will be first in line for sennheiser skull implants

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'll switch to BT headphones once Sennheiser starts selling BT earbuds with super good battery life.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I look forward to the headphone jack demise because this thread will be great and react in totally normal and rational ways.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

I look forward to the headphone jack demise because this thread will be great and react in totally normal and rational ways.

When one is on the road a lot they forget how to act around normal people.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Why don't they just make a phone with all the stuff?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Devonaut posted:

Why don't they just make a phone with all the stuff?

Probably some kind of bullshit that has to do with "branding."

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FAUXTON posted:

Wait until koss starts making bluetooth portapros.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 2, 2015

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I have BT headphones for exercise and they rule. But I like my wired headphones more because they are cheaper and I can switch devices without having to gently caress with Bluetooth somehow.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I recently upgraded from a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 6P. So far the phone is great, but I'm having a weird problem. I took the AT&T GoPhone SIM out of my N4 and put it into my 6P without issue, but I don't seem to be getting LTE on my 6P. It still says HSPA or H on the cell bars. I live in a major city and I know for a fact there is LTE coverage here. Is there some setting I'm missing for the 6P to activate it?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am a pretty big cell phone newb.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Audio/Video sync is still a complete shitshow with Bluetooth and Android. I prefer to not have my video look like a poorly dubbed movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

frosteh posted:

I recently upgraded from a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 6P. So far the phone is great, but I'm having a weird problem. I took the AT&T GoPhone SIM out of my N4 and put it into my 6P without issue, but I don't seem to be getting LTE on my 6P. It still says HSPA or H on the cell bars. I live in a major city and I know for a fact there is LTE coverage here. Is there some setting I'm missing for the 6P to activate it?

Try shutting down the phone and restarting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frosteh posted:

You might need a new SIM. It could be old enough that it's not provisioned for LTE.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Astrotrain posted:

Doesn't using digital output for headphones necessitate a DAC to be integrated into the headphones? That seems lovely

That is exactly right. Having the DAC be on the headphones will either inflate the cost of the good ones, or make the cheap ones even shittier. Not to mention making analog cans obsolete without external DACs, with the same problems on top.

You could go Bluetooth, and most would. The downside for that is the same as it ever was. Namely, 2 steps of sound quality degradation, possibly flaky connection, and having to charge.

Given that the only thing you gain is a millimeter or two of thickness for the trade off, it doesn't make too much sense to me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

You might need a new SIM. It could be old enough that it's not provisioned for LTE.

It's this. The Nexus 4 wasn't an LTE device and SIMs for it (assuming the carrier activated the SIM on the Nexus 4) won't be provisioned for LTE service.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Mooktastical posted:

Given that the only thing you gain is a millimeter or two of thickness for the trade off, it doesn't make too much sense to me.

It doesn't make sense for anyone but Apple (and some spec hunter Android OEMs), so it'll soon make sense for everyone because all the manufacturers will follow suit. And the everyone will have to upgrade their lovely Beats headphones and ohmygodsomuchmoneytomake...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Didn't Oppo already release a phone without a headphone jack?

NINJA EDIT: Yep, the R5

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FAUXTON posted:

BT headphones and overall systems management on phones are good enough that there's basically no functional difference from wired headphones unless you're a soundsperg with $500 headphones connected to your phone with a preamp and a plug adapter.

Good wired headphones cost a shitload less money than comparable bluetooth headphones and there are still plenty of people who don't give the tiniest poo poo about wires.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Astrotrain posted:

No. USB-C supports analog audio out.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there any method through the OS to schedule the ambient display/notification light to turn off during night hours on stock 6.0? Or would my only method be to install something like LiteFlow?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Require More Fire posted:

Is there any method through the OS to schedule the ambient display/notification light to turn off during night hours on stock 6.0? Or would my only method be to install something like LiteFlow?

6.0 has Downtime settings you can mess with.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2995581/android/take-control-of-notifications-with-android-marshmallows-do-not-disturb-feature.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
So I've got a weird issue and I'm not sure if this is the right thread. It is Android related though, so here goes!
I just bought an Android 4.4 car stereo. So far I'm pretty stoked to be able to have all the customization and great car apps right in dash, but I have a bit of an issue with streaming music from my phone. My old stereo is a Pioneer single-DIN CD unit with BT for phone and streaming. When I use it for audio streaming over BT, I'm able to use the receiver to FF/RW tracks, and the track info displays on the stereo itself.
On the new Android model, I do audio streaming through the BT phone app. The controls are still there, but no track info is displayed. It seems like a really crappy feature to leave out in an app that is made for BT audio.
My question is this: Is there an app out there made for use in Android head units that is supposed to act as a BT music player that plays with your paired phone? My searching seems to come up with this other unrelated app that's supposed to play the same track on both devices, but I don't think that's what I actually need. I really just need an app that will control the running audio program on my phone and display the current track info, while outputting to my car stereos. Seems hard to believe my old LCD head unit can do that, but the new one leaves that out.