Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's ugly visual clutter and completely pointless to display in the PvE side of the game, that's literally the point multiple people have made. It's incredible how some have extrapolated beyond that.

ArenaNet's visual design process, apparently:

"Let's reduce visual clutter by making aura skill animations less readable even though they were never really part of the problem."

"Let's also add a bunch of icons to the screen that you can't turn off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

In the post you made before you seemed to be concerned about "lower league scrubs" being made fun of or something, so I was wondering if people simply didn't like looking at it or if there was another reason beyond that. I don't really think I'm extrapolating by asking that. I mean honestly it still seems like a really minor thing to me, especially as like maybe 25% of people have one from what I've seen, but whatever. Only displaying it in pvp seems fair enough to me if people are bothered by it. For all the complaining you've been doing about people being dismissive towards your opinions, you're pretty good at doing the same thing to people who disagree with you.

That was a joke.....

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
You can "fix" the retarded league icons by turning off names completely.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Also for some reason it bumped my fps up a bit, maybe these yellow icons are resource intensive or something.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
The only info I need to see about someone else's character is dye completion.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Visidan posted:

Also for some reason it bumped my fps up a bit, maybe these yellow icons are resource intensive or something.

Regular names are too for some reason, always have been.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One bit of *visual clutter* that I wish was a bit more apparent, are the DH immovable barriers they can poo poo all over the place, half the time they are 100% invisible and I keep bumping my head into them over and over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One bit of *visual clutter* that I wish was a bit more apparent, are the DH immovable barriers they can poo poo all over the place, half the time they are 100% invisible and I keep bumping my head into them over and over.

Do you mean the guardian staff line of warding? Or is DH not dragonhunter in this case.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you mean the guardian staff line of warding? Or is DH not dragonhunter in this case.
DH longbow skill 'Hunter's Ward'.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aesis posted:

Ohhh the vip line aoe thing.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I gave raids a shot, but it just reminded me of the stressful stuff I left behind in WoW. Not for me.

On another note, you can find the darndest things at the flax farm.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think it's that elite trap that has no visual indication where the wall part of it is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think it's that elite trap that has no visual indication where the wall part of it is.

There's the one that's the circle of swords (can't think of the name) that isn't an immovable barrier or any kind, it damages you when you enter/exit it, so I'm assuming he means the VIP line one. The elite trap is the dragon mouth trap, not a wall.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

malhavok posted:

Lol thieves got nerfed, you can't steal without a target now.
A useful thing Thieves could do for over three years and they nerf it because of a "usability issue" with action camera that no one was asking for a "fix" for (and don't document it in patch notes, of course). Prime ArenaNet.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Man if any of you guys have a high enough MMR in pvp right now you're probably pulling your hair out. I never PvP'd much so mine is low and therefore leagues right now are fine for me. They did not reset MMR before this league thing, though, so MY climb up the ranks against bad to average players is way easier than the climb of a good player because they get the same thing for winning tough matches as I do for winning easy ones. 1 pip.

Also if you queue as a team you just feast on solo queue teams. Like it seems to me the quickest way to rank up right now must be to have 4 low to average rank dudes with voice comms queue together. The queue times of a lower MMR player are waaaaaay lower than those of a higher MMR player. I would never recommend this but you can go look in a PVPers stream and see how long that poor soul waits to go play a game. They get like 2 games an hour. Coincidentally I feel like this is a big reason the game will never attract viewers. No streamer is entertaining enough to keep something going while they sit in queue that long. In MOBAs your wait may be that long but your game is also like 45 minutes in length.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's the one that's the circle of swords (can't think of the name) that isn't an immovable barrier or any kind, it damages you when you enter/exit it, so I'm assuming he means the VIP line one. The elite trap is the dragon mouth trap, not a wall.
Dragon's Maw barrier effect is hard to see if there are lots of AoE going on. You just get trapped by 6 seconds barrier and have no idea why :v:

e: As for MMR I'm pretty sure mine's low since I only have to wait 2~5 minutes. That's 3 games per hour! And yes queuing with 5 men team pub stomping is the way to go :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 2, 2015

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Oh look, dumb idiots who totally don't get it:

Strategic Tea posted:

This is like any MMO's endgame where there's nothing to do except run old content for its own sake, or grind for... what exactly? A little pvp tag next to your name (which is pretty dumb tbf)? You feel alienated because some people will have a shinier tag? Or a single set of raid armour? Or because you can't world complete in a week then do nothing until season 3?

None of the ~rewards casual players are denied~ have any value at all. Unless you're bafflingly compelled to have all your percent completions add up to a nice, comforting 100 at all times I guess.

For the record, I have no legendaries, about 50% world completion and haven't even touched the raid.

subhuman filth posted:

actually raids and pvp are hella fun and if you'd shed your mortal terror of accidentally touching anything "too hardcore" you might actually find an enjoyable experience beyond "princessing" in LA and complaining on forus.
And someone who actually does:

Geekslinger posted:

It isn't about being too hardcore, it's about being a lot of real lackluster content and design decisions that is more of a lovely grind than actual fun.
I do appreciate the army of fanboys coming out to defend a tedious and poorly thought out expansion, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aesis posted:

Dragon's Maw barrier effect is hard to see if there are lots of AoE going on. You just get trapped by 6 seconds barrier and have no idea why :v:

Gotcha. Dragon head trap rules :cool:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Do dragon hunters get more voice work? I know tempests get a ton, and I find my female norn guardian's voice acting to be boring and bland.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Aesis posted:

I thought he meant the elite trap.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Do dragon hunters get more voice work? I know tempests get a ton, and I find my female norn guardian's voice acting to be boring and bland.

Try Herald, and you too can experience Glint's roars which all sound like she was woken up abruptly.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Sprite141 posted:

I don't believe so. What would they say? "Come closer, I did not just lay a trap at my feet!"

Though, the pull on Spear of Justice should yell "GET OVER HERE!" I'd dress up like Scorpion if it did that.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

Tempests got a ton because shouts and overloads basically required them, nothing DH got really needed new voice work. Yelling "CHECK OUT THIS TRAP, YEAH!!!" might be a bit counter productive.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

malhavok posted:

Tempests got a ton because shouts and overloads basically required them, nothing DH got really needed new voice work. Yelling "CHECK OUT THIS TRAP, YEAH!!!" might be a bit counter productive.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE DRAGON, MOVE ALONG!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I actually really like what they did with Rev and having the different personalities talk to you & stuff, I just wish Glint sounded more like a dragon instead of a grandma.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Generic Octopus posted:

Try Herald, and you too can experience Glint's roars which all sound like she was woken up abruptly.

I've always thought Glint sounded more like a cigarette-y great aunt with all her throaty shouting and coughing and her 2-pack-a-day voice

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Amante posted:

I do appreciate the army of fanboys coming out to defend a tedious and poorly thought out expansion, though.

Army of fanboys? This thread is like 90% bitching and crying.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I wish your extremely embarassing ragequit had stuck.

If all of you are going to continue making GBS threads up the thread with pointless whining about how game dead anet more like betraynet, could you at least provide pictures of your fanciest alts so there'll be something worth looking at in your posts?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Illuyankas posted:

I wish your extremely embarassing ragequit had stuck.

If all of you are going to continue making GBS threads up the thread with pointless whining about how game dead anet more like betraynet, could you at least provide pictures of your fanciest alts so there'll be something worth looking at in your posts?

Please don't be such a "good tolerable thread" fanboy.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And there's the hyperbole. :munch:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

you look like a fat darth maul cosplay gleefully taking a poo poo

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

plz dont darth maul shame

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Generic Octopus posted:

plz dont darth maul shame

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

That alt's name is literally "Fat Darth Maul" (yw illu), so mission accomplished I guess! :haw:

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Necro players, I just hit 80 and need some ideas for speccing to crush HoT content solo (I'm in Euroland so I can't rely on there being people available to help with these pain in the rear end hero points)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Schpyder posted:

That alt's name is literally "Fat Darth Maul" (yw illu), so mission accomplished I guess! :haw:

Still one of my favourite looks to names of all my alts, so thanks again! You and Merc are kind and generous souls.

You are a fantastic human being.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

we'll get to see that scene in the new movie in two weeks!

My biggest beef with the xpac is I can't just hop in whenever and get HoT rewards/currency. I pretty much have to have the meta map timer open and if it's not at the right time, then I'm SOL. Overall I've had to devote bigger chunks of playtime to get anything done compared with before.

Silver waters was good because the meta was all player driven and you could get into one at anytime and it would complete.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I love you mesmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, why did they totally abandon the way that loot worked in Silverwastes? It worked really well. I mean sure you could just jump into maps and repeatedly do breach or vinewrath over and over, but then you'd lose the buffs that got you more loot and map currency.

Like right now I need a bunch of aurillium, but in order to do that I have to wait for the meta to reset, run a bunch of events to get practically no aurillium, and then sit and wait for the meta to end to actually get a good amount of aurillium from the wiggle chest. Participation feels like a step backwards compared to the stacking buffs from Silverwaste.

• Locked thread