Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Burkion posted:

BEST EARLY HEISEI RIDER SERIES INCOMING

I am probably missing an in-joke or something here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

I am probably missing an in-joke or something here

More of a personal joke. When I was watching Ultraman Nexus for the first time, it reminded me so much of the tone and style that a lot of Heisei Rider tried for before Den-O, only it did it SO much better.

That and Nexus loves his Rider Kicks.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 48

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

:toot: Another one in the can, Almost done now! 3 episodes left, right?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So I decided to download Kamen Rider Storm Heroes during finals week. Boy that was a mistake! I don't care for these gacha games most of the time, but this one's kind of fun. Anyone else tried it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

:toot: Another one in the can, Almost done now! 3 episodes left, right?

and the movie

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 49

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To celebrate further Bioman have

FURTHER ULTRAMAN NEXUS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRZIx9Hp_Ro

Such a fantastic time to be a toku fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVsk7CApVk

For those who don't know how awesome the first theme song is.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 2, 2015

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

More of a personal joke. When I was watching Ultraman Nexus for the first time, it reminded me so much of the tone and style that a lot of Heisei Rider tried for before Den-O, only it did it SO much better.

That and Nexus loves his Rider Kicks.

You sure it doesn't feel more to you like a post-Decade Rider? Because, well, take a look at these credits.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

You sure it doesn't feel more to you like a post-Decade Rider? Because, well, take a look at these credits.

I wish Post Decade Rider was like Nexus.

I wish more Toku could be like Nexus.

Honest question because I genuinely don't know- have you seen Nexus before, Az?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AzraelNewtype posted:

Well I mean I like it so it's clearly more like the old things I like and not like the new things I hate.

Speaking of Pre-Den O poo poo, I watched Ryuki recently and boy that show is a roller-coaster when it comes to quality. When it's good it's great but boy when it's not it's some really poorly made, poorly shot poo poo.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

I wish Post Decade Rider was like Nexus.

I wish more Toku could be like Nexus.

Honest question because I genuinely don't know- have you seen Nexus before, Az?

No. Have the kind of ugly but at least not T-N subs but never got around to watching it.

Keiichi Hasegawa's my boy though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I love the first few minutes of ryuki and have wanted to show it to someone unitiated.

cold open, woman is stalked and murdered by a giant spider in the mirror. If the rest of the series was like that I'd have watched it by now. (my ideal toku series is basically evil dead 2/army of darkness, hell latter even had the big silly toyetic vehicle)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well I mean I like it so it's clearly more like the old things I like and not like the new things I hate.

Speaking of Pre-Den O poo poo, I watched Ryuki recently and boy that show is a roller-coaster when it comes to quality. When it's good it's great but boy when it's not it's some really poorly made, poorly shot poo poo.

You really love to antagonize me about really dumb poo poo you seem to think I believe.

I'm not sure why. There are plenty of newer series that I love- including Garo season 4 which is fantastic. Seriously man, I'm talking about a...well it used to be new...modern series and comparing it to Modern Series. The only reason I draw the distinction between New Heisei Rider and Old is because of the very obvious, very stark tone shift between them. There is a huge difference between what Double tried to do and what Blade tried to do.

Nexus falls more in line with the latter in tone and feel.

I don't want to say much about Nexus because half of the joy is experiencing the batshit plot twists and character developments and the sheer tone and themes of the series yourself. Just know that it's way more like Agito than it is Double.

Imagine if you removed Inoue from Agito but kept the quality. It's kind of like that but better and more depressing. loving Faust man.

Nexus' main problem was that it was written as an adult show and aimed at an older audience- but got screwed over and put on the kids timeslot by the network.

This isn't bullshit from me complaining about Japanese kids shows either- this is literally the truth. The show did not do well at all in its time slot because of what they did with it, so it got cancelled ten episodes early, making the ending rushed. Still a better ending then most of Heisei Rider though.

Ironically when they later aired it on Late Night timeslots it did much, much better, and paved the way for other adult Tsuburaya shows, like Ultra Q Dark Fantasy and UltraSeven X.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm just poking fun at you because like 90% of the time you talk about how good something is you qualify it by comparing it to the older stuff that you have a very obvious love that you gravitate to.

To be more serious, Nexus feels more like the newer Garo shows or the more serious moments in Gaim or Drive. There's a lot more clarity, for lack of a better word, with how the story and characters unfold and express themselves than something like Ryuki or Faiz, which plays characters and story beats really weirdly close to their chest.

I'm expressing this thought pretty badly, but I guess it just feels a bit more purposeful than early Heisei era Rider's which felt very amateurish, like they were feeling out what they wanted to do when it came to story/script and their overall production.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'm just poking fun at you because like 90% of the time you talk about how good something is you qualify it by comparing it to the older stuff that you have a very obvious love that you gravitate to.

To be more serious, Nexus feels more like the newer Garo shows or the more serious moments in Gaim or Drive. There's a lot more clarity, for lack of a better word, with how the story and characters unfold and express themselves than something like Ryuki or Faiz, which plays characters and story beats really weirdly close to their chest.

I'm expressing this thought pretty badly, but I guess it just feels a bit more purposeful than early Heisei era Rider's which felt very amateurish, like they were feeling out what they wanted to do when it came to story/script and their overall production.

I have a hard time comparing Nexus and Gaim mostly because of the silliness of Gaim.

Though you do have a point with the more serious side of Gaim- Imagine if Gaim got to be serious 90% of the time. Like, death of Sid serious, Michi going nutso Serious.

That's about how Nexus averages out.

Garo isn't a bad comparison either, though with one huge difference I don't want to spoil.

EDIT: Oh one absolutely huge thing

Do not watch TV Nihon's subs of Nexus.

They're either Blade territory or worse.

They honest to God get a major, HOLY poo poo, plot point completely wrong and make it the exact opposite of what it was supposed to be. Thankfully you won't have to worry about those subs for much longer and there were better subs done by a different group anyways! Or at least more accurate subs

Burkion fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 2, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've gotten to episode 39 of blade, and man, this has gotten a whole lot more interesting lately. I found most of the rest of it kind of dull. Though, Tachibana's incredible eagerness to do whatever authority figures tell him to has been consistently hilarious.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 50

Ultraman Nexus 03

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I want to hug you so much.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
JyuOhger rumors say 6 (3+3) team of Red Eagle, Blue Shark, Yellow Lion and White Tiger, Green Elephant, Black Gorilla.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eagle, Shark, Lion!

Eagle, Shark, Lion!

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Dr Tran posted:

JyuOhger rumors say 6 (3+3) team of Red Eagle, Blue Shark, Yellow Lion and White Tiger, Green Elephant, Black Gorilla.

I call bullshit on Yellow Lion being the name. Toei used that in Liveman. (Also, they haven't used something other than [shared name] [color] or [color] [shared name] for the core group since Dairanger.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

FortMax posted:

I call bullshit on Yellow Lion being the name. Toei used that in Liveman. (Also, they haven't used something other than [shared name] [color] or [color] [shared name] for the core group since Dairanger.

From what I can tell they are all called Jyuoh <color>.

Also Blue is apparently a woman and gets a proper Blue suit color instead of the usual Aqua/Cyan.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Cernunnos posted:

From what I can tell they are all called Jyuoh <color>.

Also Blue is apparently a woman and gets a proper Blue suit color instead of the usual Aqua/Cyan.

That also happened in Liveman.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

FortMax posted:

ToQger?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dexie posted:

ToQger?

While this is technically true, I'm not sure them using numbers to account for a color change gimmick is really the counterexample of a 16 year trend away from unique names you're looking for.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The best part of the new Ninninjer was when Kinji was wearing plain gray socks, and Nagi was wearing USA Flag socks. I don't know why, but I thought that was hilarious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

The time where we get our first blurry look at the new Sentai!

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Waffleman_ posted:

The Zubat remake is looking great! :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gettin hyyyyyype

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Is that Duel Disk?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Turns out it's fake. What I'm getting from Twitter is it's some local hero or something of that nature.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no, I got rused!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I could tell, no gloves.
I did not share that insight because I was working on making a truly awesome joke about how it looked like he had a miniskirt

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Acne Rain posted:

I could tell, no gloves.
I did not share that insight because I was working on making a truly awesome joke about how it looked like he had a miniskirt

I was gonna say he looked like AkaRed

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is that Duel Disk?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw a slate of Yu-Gi-Oh cards in that blurry mess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm legit tempted to try to do a big effort post write up of how Nexus works and its themes and poo poo when I rewatch it on Crunchyroll.

Though the final one would be filled with regrets at what could and should have been because Christ does it sound like it would have been amazing and would have made Nexus one of the best toku series of all time. loving network screwjobs.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 51, Changeman 00, Flashman 00

FOR THE MAN!

EDIT:
Gavan 7-11

FortMax fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 5, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

yeah, gently caress yeah