Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
YOU TOLD ME IT WOULD BE LOVE DIDN'T YOU? WELL I'M loving DETERMINED!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Should have laid off the Glamburgers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I replayed HLM2 and was surprised how much I enjoyed the Beard levels this time.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skunkrocker posted:

This is pretty much what I meant. The "improved" HLM2 levels will probably be terrible. :smith:

Yeah, when did fans ever turn out a good mod? Just not possible.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Improbable Lobster posted:

No one who thinks they can recreate and "improve" the base levels will actually be good enough at level design to do so

Shrink the scale by 1/4-1/3, give half the gun enemies melee weapons and remove all of either the fat fucks or katana guys on a level. Easy.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, when did fans ever turn out a good mod? Just not possible.

Yeah, when they were creating their own content they come out great, but look at every World 1-1 remix on SMM. Suck. Pure suck. Make new stuff. Make new awesome exciting stuff. Please.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, when they were creating their own content they come out great, but look at every World 1-1 remix on SMM. Suck. Pure suck. Make new stuff. Make new awesome exciting stuff. Please.

World 1-1 was pretty good to begin with. I think you're just noticing the general rule that 90-99% of anything that comes out is going to be crap. It applies, certainly, but it's not specific to an effort to level redesign.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Lacedaemonius posted:

Shrink the scale by 1/4-1/3, give half the gun enemies melee weapons and remove all of either the fat fucks or katana guys on a level. Easy.

This is literally what you and the other 6 guys think is good HOTLINE MIAMI design? Jesus.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

World 1-1 was pretty good to begin with. I think you're just noticing the general rule that 90-99% of anything that comes out is going to be crap. It applies, certainly, but it's not specific to an effort to level redesign.

turboraton posted:

Lacedaemonius posted:

This is literally what you and the other 6 guys think is good HOTLINE MIAMI design? Jesus.

:golfclap:

Create something new and amazing, don't try to fix anything - even poo poo. You'll just make it worse.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There were too many offscreen attacks in HM2 but forcing you to switch between weapons was a natural and good move, IMO. Also generic melee enemies are basically fodder so whatever.

I'd probably just design levels so that you don't have to look ahead all the time to not just get shot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I too don't want any challenge in Holine Miami

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There were too many offscreen attacks in HM2 but forcing you to switch between weapons was a natural and good move, IMO. Also generic melee enemies are basically fodder so whatever.

This was my only issue in HM2

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm going to see if I can make challenging ranged combat areas without having guys who can kill you offscreen without warning. I feel like it's possible but that it may lead to claustrophobic and ugly looking levels.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm going to see if I can make challenging ranged combat areas without having guys who can kill you offscreen without warning. I feel like it's possible but that it may lead to claustrophobic and ugly looking levels.

It's entirely possible and was done very well with the first game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Almost all of the first game was trivially easy though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Why would I want to play through HM2 again after I suffered through the lovely versions, regardless of if it was fixed?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why won't you play my Hotline Miami AU , that's oppressive

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hotline miami australia sounds a little confusing budd

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coolguye posted:

hotline miami australia sounds a little confusing budd

It's literally just Mad Max.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Hotline Miami Australia would rule but only if you're an aboriginal in various animal masks carving a bloody swath through suburban aussie hipsters.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
8 blessings, the Aussies were our allies the war against Russia

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sleeveless posted:

Why would I want to play through HM2 again after I suffered through the lovely versions, regardless of if it was fixed?

I don't know, why would you want to go back and play HLM1 after you finish it?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I love how you guys constantly bemoan HLM2 as something "broken" that needs to be fixed, and then go on about how when the level editor comes out that you'll do just that. Has it ever occurred to you that it's not broken?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skunkrocker posted:

I love how you guys constantly bemoan HLM2 as something "broken" that needs to be fixed, and then go on about how when the level editor comes out that you'll do just that. Has it ever occurred to you that it's not broken?

poo poo dude maybe you're right. Maybe we're all wrong, maybe its all irrational, maybe the game is actually really glorious from start to finish---

*gets killed from completely off-screen 10 times in a row*

Hmm, nope, don't think that theory pans out. Its not like its all bad or anything, I enjoyed the story a lot and some of the levels were cool and it tried a lot of different things. But there were a whole bunch of frustrating moments, way way way more than HM1. Its like HM2 is HM's version of Mario: The Lost Levels (AKA the real Mario 2) its just more of the same but harder, which isn't necessarily superior to the first in any way.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skunkrocker posted:

No, because I played it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I played it too and it was an alright game :shrug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skunkrocker posted:

Sykic posted:

HotlineMiami2.gif

vvvv

To be clear, I agree with Zaphod that there are good moments of writing and gameplay, but they're absolutely mired in poor decisions about writing, design and implementation.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 2, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
we get it, hotline miami 2 doesn't have shmup hitboxes

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yes, but have you considered that it's not broken after all?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Instead of talking about how there is a cool new game that takes after the design of hotline miami, its time to repost the same tired gifs of the glitches one guy got once or that time when he TOTALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE loving DIED I WAS AROUND THE GODDAMN CORNER and complain about how the game is too different from first and also at the same time a complete rehash of the same game

this thread is pathetic, somebody gas this poo poo already

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Broseph Brostar posted:

we get it, hotline miami 2 doesn't have shmup hitboxes

There's also the swinging bats that go right through dudes and the bullets that pass through walls though :v:

Broseph Brostar posted:

Instead of talking about how there is a cool new game that takes after the design of hotline miami, its time to repost the same tired gifs of the glitches one guy got once or that time when he TOTALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE loving DIED I WAS AROUND THE GODDAMN CORNER and complain about how the game is too different from first and also at the same time a complete rehash of the same game

Maybe you should, I dunno, post about it? Nah that's crazy talk. Clearly bitching until somebody else posts about it is the way to go :thumbsup:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Broseph Brostar posted:

Hotline Kavkaz is not a cool game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

Instead of making a thread for a cool new game I want to talk about I'm going to go in a thread for a completely different game and then complain that they're talking about that game instead of the new game I want to talk about. :shittydog:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Broseph Brostar posted:

oh hey skunkrocker signed into the wrong account

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Hotline Miami 2 is one of my favorite games of this year and I still don't get the rabid need to defend it from any and all criticism. It is, at times, absolutely frustrating to play, and not everyone will want to put up with that.

For what it's worth, they did fix a lot of the bugs regarding dogs chasing their owns tails and doors/doorways being death vortexes. I couldn't tell you if the hitboxes ever got changed, though, they never seemed to bother me when I played.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I too don't want any challenge in Holine Miami

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Okay, I thought we were talking about level design. User made levels will be as buggy or worse. As far as the design goes about being shot off screen and all that... well, yeah, it's bullshit. I didn't like it either. However, it was the creators intent. You can't fix what isn't broken and improvements are based on preferred playstyle. What you think will improve Death Wish is different from what others think. Fundamentally any attempt to fix or improve what we all agree is terrible level design ultimately will fail. It is instead better, I feel, for you to create new levels with your own idea of fun and challenge for us to experience something amazing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Skunkrocker you need to realize at some point that this thread is literally only alive because you can't stop having meltdowns in it solely because people who didn't like the game exist.

This disappointing sequel is so forgettable that there's literally nothing to discuss until the level editor hits.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My memories of being shot down by countless off screen enemies are not "forgettable" you gaming history denial scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
HOW ABOUT THAT MIAMI MUTILATOR HUH GUYS

LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT THE MIAMI MUTILATOR NOW

• Locked thread