Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MrLonghair posted:

Crossposting from my Swedish forum, the guy was all "you guys and your massive halls of synths and racks"

:3::3::3:

He's missing the sample which is the best volca. :cobert:

That is legit awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MrLonghair posted:

Crossposting from my Swedish forum, the guy was all "you guys and your massive halls of synths and racks"

I need this, tell me more about it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MrLonghair posted:

Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: This Guy Just Ran Reason Through His 3D Printer And You Won't Believe What Happened!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://soundcloud.com/betaproject/predator-re-reason-rack-extension-test-122

Bought Rob Papen's Predator rack extension for Reason earlier. This thing is gonna be soooooo much fun to gently caress around with. The amount of sounds/effects you can get out of this thing is almost staggering :flashfap:

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Boutique JP08 arrived today and the thing I really want to know is - does ye olde JP8080 do exactly the same thing? They're a lot cheaper.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have no idea what the exact equivalence is in feature set but the JP8080 is pretty deep and powerful and if you can find a one for significantly less than 400 bucks, I'd consider that a goddamn steal. I've never seen one go for less than 500 here. But it's digital at its core.

If you're not married to the idea of an almost exact emulation of a specific vintage analog machine, returning that JP-08 and getting a JP8080 seems far from crazy to me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, a good JP8000/8080 is legit awesome but they have some hardware issues which are usually the ones for cheep.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
A brand new interview with some Boutique developers

.....and one with the devs of the original JX-3P/Juno 106/Jupiter 8

quote:

DO ALL UNITS IN A CHAIN CONNECTION HAVE TO BE THE SAME MODEL?

Tojo: No, they can be different. However, if you have different models in a chain you are only increasing the polyphony, whereas with the same models, the parameters will work together between them as well.

Toyama: These units come with stereo mini input jacks so you can combine their outputs even if they are connected in a chain. Any audio that enters the input jack is reproduced on the unit's built-in speaker, and since it’s digitized first, you can output the audio from the USB jack as well.

Can somebody with two different models clarify this for me? What do they mean by "only increasing the polyphony?" Will your first 4 notes sound like a JP-08 and your next 4 sound like a JX-03? Or is it just that you can't actively fiddle with the parameters while they're connected but all of the notes will sound the same?

quote:

EXPECTATIONS FOR THE RELEASE OF THE TR-808, TR-909, AND TB-303 AS THE SECOND EDITION OF ROLAND BOUTIQUE IS LIKELY TO BE GREAT TOO.

Tojo: Yes, I think so too. I think we will be getting a lot of feedback after this release, so we'd like to listen to what our customers have to say and decide on what to do next.

....wha?

You heard it here first!

Given that the TR8 exists and is, by all accounts, pretty great at its job of being an 808/909 for $499 before the 707/727 expansion pack, these are gonna have to be cheaper, right? Like, these should be Volca cheap.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You heard it here first!

Given that the TR8 exists and is, by all accounts, pretty great at its job of being an 808/909 for $499 before the 707/727 expansion pack, these are gonna have to be cheaper, right? Like, these should be Volca cheap.

Either volca cheep or in the $1k range but with a way better sequencer / internal effects / audio over usb.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Either volca cheep or in the $1k range but with a way better sequencer / internal effects / audio over usb.

Also, I forgot about the TB3- but that one's love-or-hate it enough that I could see a real demand for a straight 303 clone.

If they carry on the 'inspired by the original' aesthetic of the current Boutique range, I could actually see these all selling like hotcakes just among people who hate the AIRA aesthetic.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I'm really tempted by the Boutique series but I'm worried about the buyer's remorse of getting one and six months later them offering all of them as plugouts for the 1M instead. Talked with Roland people and they didn't entirely dismiss it, but they're a different division than Aira so I'm not expecting it either; still it keeps nagging at me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A Winner is Jew posted:

TR8 already does audio over usb, if I remember correctly.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flipperwaldt posted:

TR8 already does audio over usb, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, but apparently it's not that good. I was talking about better implementation like on overbridge, virus ti, and the xa.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

A brand new interview with some Boutique developers

.....and one with the devs of the original JX-3P/Juno 106/Jupiter 8

Can somebody with two different models clarify this for me? What do they mean by "only increasing the polyphony?" Will your first 4 notes sound like a JP-08 and your next 4 sound like a JX-03? Or is it just that you can't actively fiddle with the parameters while they're connected but all of the notes will sound the same?

My JU and JX aren't getting here until tomorrow, but I'll give it a shot when I do.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Got'em.

First of all, I'm not sure chain mode works via USB. The manual dictates you go MIDI Out to MIDI in of the next unit, and that's what I'm doing.

If chain mode is turned off, then it's literally a MIDI Thru -- notes played on my JX are also played on the JU. When it's on, then notes after the fifth don't steal from the JX but instead play on the JU. It only happens if more than four notes are played, and it's all last note priority.

I don't know if there's a way to do split keyboard or anything, but I doubt it. Would be cool though.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Does the timbre match or are the overflow notes from the JU's patch?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They're from the JU's patch. But you can get them to sound pretty close if you're willing to use their common features -- no PWM on the Juno, no second osc on the JX. The chorus on the JX sounds about the same as Chorus 1 on the Juno (I'd guess they were the same circuitry.

Now that I think about it, with chain mode off you could let one synth handle the transient and the other the sustain of a combined patch, or just one big 3-osc synth. Gotta play with that some time.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have no idea what the exact equivalence is in feature set but the JP8080 is pretty deep and powerful and if you can find a one for significantly less than 400 bucks, I'd consider that a goddamn steal. I've never seen one go for less than 500 here. But it's digital at its core.

If you're not married to the idea of an almost exact emulation of a specific vintage analog machine, returning that JP-08 and getting a JP8080 seems far from crazy to me.

I've actually set up the two here and the answer is if you're doing that Fat Roland Horn/Strings thing either will do. But the Boutique does the harsh sounds much much better. Like the cross modulation is noticeably well done. Actually if you cross mod all the way and take the pitch to the very top, the digital glitching and explosions are fantastic. The VCA in the JU08 is very hot. It overloads easily. The distortion sounds like bad analogue distortion, realistic but not musical. I have no idea if that's what Jupiter 8 sounds like.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Any suggestions for a multi-effects pedal, including distortion, for a TT-303? I remember somebody got a Tone Tattoo (analog delay, chorous, and distortion) from Electroharmonix but I don't remember how that turned out.

EDIT: soundmondo.yamahasynth.com, Yamaha's patch trading site is up in beta for ReFace series owners. The beta testers have put up some "meh" quality patches but I still find them instructive.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 6, 2015

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Today, I learned to love the MS-20's mislabeled gate & hold. Thanks, for the (old) video, Pierre Ripplinger! :)

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Can someone give me some signal routing advice?

I've got
  • Volca Keys
  • Volca Beats
  • OP-1

I'd like to record both the keys and beats with the op-1 simultaneously. I can't find any mixers that use 3.5mm connectors. do i just get a normal mixer and adapters?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Major bummer, Synthgraphics is calling it quits. But you have one last chance to get one of his TR-8 overlays that makes it look unlike dogshit.

http://www.synthgraphics.com/Roland-TR8-TR808-TR909.html

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Major bummer, Synthgraphics is calling it quits. But you have one last chance to get one of his TR-8 overlays that makes it look unlike dogshit.

http://www.synthgraphics.com/Roland-TR8-TR808-TR909.html

drat, the Xa one actually looked really great.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

A Winner is Jew posted:

drat, the Xa one actually looked really great.

I think he's still doing that one and it's the last project.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I've had my Microbrute for the past few months, and I absolutely love the layout and sequencer for coming up with some awesome jams in combination with my Volca Beats. However, I found that it sounds really dry, so I ended up getting a TC Instruments Flashback Mini Delay off Amazon last week. Hot drat does it ever make a huge difference in sound, its almost like a whole new synth and opens up tons of different soundscape possibilities.

In other news I haven't used much Electribe 2 at all in the past few months, and I'm likely going to sell it to a friend I know soon. I find the menu system to be confusing (and the manual is no real help!), and I haven't been able to come up with many interesting jams compared to with the Brute, Beats, and Bass (right now I'm experimenting with the Bass running through the Brute's filter).

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Barnyard Protein posted:

Can someone give me some signal routing advice?

I've got
  • Volca Keys
  • Volca Beats
  • OP-1

I'd like to record both the keys and beats with the op-1 simultaneously. I can't find any mixers that use 3.5mm connectors. do i just get a normal mixer and adapters?

Conventional wisdom regarding the Volca line is that the Belkin Rockstar headphone splitter makes for a cheap and decent passive mixer, meaning that you'll have to tweak the Volca's volume outputs to get your desired mix once you plug everything in.

Tangentially, I picked up a Volca Bass today, and I'm immediately lovestruck. Someday, when I'm not a poor graduate student, I might even own the whole line.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

So Math posted:

Conventional wisdom regarding the Volca line is that the Belkin Rockstar headphone splitter makes for a cheap and decent passive mixer, meaning that you'll have to tweak the Volca's volume outputs to get your desired mix once you plug everything in.

Tangentially, I picked up a Volca Bass today, and I'm immediately lovestruck. Someday, when I'm not a poor graduate student, I might even own the whole line.

thanks! yeah they're stupid fun.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
goddamn it right after i convinced myself i had enough modules MI has to go and make this :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9SmyW0_jQ

don't get into modular, kids

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

don't get into modular, kids

Don't worry, I'm into synths for musical purposes :smugbert:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

snorch posted:

:iceburn:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

snorch posted:

Got drat

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

snorch posted:

wrong thread buddy

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Two weeks after demoing the Korg Arp Odyssey and I can't get it out of my head. Goddamn does it sound good. It was the first synth I've touched that I could get really close to the bass from "Hold Me Now" on. Don't know if it's the oscillator character or the filter, but drat do I lust for that particular sound.

Also, the what-you-see-is-what-you-get interface is awesome, patch memory be damned.

I demoed a Sub 37 the same day and walked away unimpressed with the sound, notably the filter. Maybe I've just heard the Moog filter sound too much, and it's kind of "vanilla" at this point.

tl;dr: How do I convince my wife to let me buy the Odyssey?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

sliderule posted:

Two weeks after demoing the Korg Arp Odyssey and I can't get it out of my head. Goddamn does it sound good. It was the first synth I've touched that I could get really close to the bass from "Hold Me Now" on. Don't know if it's the oscillator character or the filter, but drat do I lust for that particular sound.

Also, the what-you-see-is-what-you-get interface is awesome, patch memory be damned.

I demoed a Sub 37 the same day and walked away unimpressed with the sound, notably the filter. Maybe I've just heard the Moog filter sound too much, and it's kind of "vanilla" at this point.

Buy her something that's nice and about the same price as the Odyssey.

"Look honey, the dog/cat got you this for christmas and he got me an Odyssey!"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sliderule posted:

If you live near a city, you can occasionally get one on craigslist for $5-700. Music stores online and eBay have them for anywhere from $650-$750 right now (often with a guarantee of some sort), I imagine depending on their condition. The product's less than a year old so I can't imagine there are too many beat-up stinkers out there.

Might going used soften the financial blow a bit?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I've had an oto bim sitting in a box unopened because of work insanity for weeks. :rip:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So uhh the JD-Xa came today.

:dogbutton:

I've been at it for the last 4 hours and I've only scratched the surface of the analog engine and effects. I still have the sequencer and digital parts, not to mention how they all interconnect together to mess with.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know why, but when I just hop on youtube and start browsing, nothing from Roland ever really draws my eye. I don't know what it is about their synths but I've never been grabbed by anything from Roland. Can anyone show me the error of my ways, and why I should love them as a company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know why, but when I just hop on youtube and start browsing, nothing from Roland ever really draws my eye. I don't know what it is about their synths but I've never been grabbed by anything from Roland. Can anyone show me the error of my ways, and why I should love them as a company?

You need a tuba in your orchestra?

No, sensibly, I'm the opposite. Started with Roland and worked my way towards the others. Roland is very versatile, it gets you where you need to be in the music you're making. I find a lot of other manufacturers have 'a sound' which is more than likely not going to get me where I need. Prefer Yamaha for the complex noises though.

My worst company is Dave Smith. I buy, I try, I sell again.