Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can see the divots on the wing where it hit. The base of the tower is on the left between the van and the personnel.

Why does it have a shroud over the cockpit, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

the plane got scared so they had to restrain it and cover its eyes to let it calm down

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
My buddy is a glass blower whose neighbor thinks the fumes are making their way over to his house and hurting him somehow. So he has devised an ingenious way to keep those pesky fumes away.

Yes that is a box fan

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Stall stuff
I'm amazed that they didn't know "don't pull up when you're stalling! Nose down to gain airspeed instead!" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Action taught me that as a tiny child.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dillbag posted:

For those of you can stomach it, I think this list of flight recorder last words was posted here before.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dillbag posted:

For those of you can stomach it, I think this list of flight recorder last words was posted here before.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

08 Jun 1988 VASP 168 What? There's what? Some hills, isn't there?

26 Sep 1997 Garuda Indonesia Airlines 152 Aaaaaa. Allah Akbar.

Thankfully not all of these are fatal crashes, but probably most of them are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you look at that page and it bums you out, just look at this one and remember the time good ol Sully saved everybody. :unsmith:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

08 Jun 1988 VASP 168 What? There's what? Some hills, isn't there?

26 Sep 1997 Garuda Indonesia Airlines 152 Aaaaaa. Allah Akbar.

Thankfully not all of these are fatal crashes, but probably most of them are.

I'm no linguist but I'm pretty sure one of 'Allahu Akbar's many meanings is 'oh gently caress'.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah just remember "allah akbar" is basically the arabic/muslim equivalent of saying "jesus christ", and all the various different ways we use that phrase.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

26 Jun 1988 Air France 296Q Watch out for those pylons ahead, eh. See them? Yeah, yeah, don't worry

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Think I can make it in between there?

Nope.

Oh ye of little faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcZXZ9WzBc

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

buttcoinbrony posted:

Think I can make it in between there?

Nope.

Oh ye of little faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcZXZ9WzBc

"Mayday mayday, I'm a dumbass!"

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

:(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

chitoryu12 posted:

Not as unsafe as it seems. Shotgun shells are so common for zip guns because they have a surprisingly low operating pressure (the high recoil of a shotgun is from the mass of shot being fired), so common hardware store pipe can safely be used as an improvised barrel.

I was thinking more about how close his hand is to where the explosion comes out.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That does sound like a very New Zealand thing to say during a plane crash.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

10 Apr 2010 Polish Air Force 1549 F*ckkkkkk

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know that vans exist, right?

Yes, but that's just a trade off of some safety in favor of utility vs. "gently caress it, if I tag anything, I'll just pray nobody was looking and jam out".

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Enourmo posted:

Yeah just remember "allah akbar" is basically the arabic/muslim equivalent of saying "jesus christ", and all the various different ways we use that phrase.

If it wasn't that crash, there was another one where the where the pilot where yelled "allah akbar" as they were crashing and it turned into a huge :tinfoil: clusterfuck.

:edit:

It was Egypt Air Flight 990 and he said "Tawkalt ala Allah".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

I guess he supposedly did crash the plane but it was for personal reasons, not terrorism.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 3, 2015

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Southeast_Airlines_Flight_529#Casualties

Dude axed a hole through the cockpit windshield despite a dislocated shoulder and managed to return to flying duty. :unsmith:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

The Dark One posted:

Dude axed a hole through the cockpit windshield despite a dislocated shoulder and managed to return to flying duty. :unsmith:

There was another pilot who gut sucked outside the cockpit window when it flew off mid-flight because a mechanic used the wrong sized bolts.

They managed to land the plane and he survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

FIRST TIME posted:

Yes, but that's just a trade off of some safety in favor of utility vs. "gently caress it, if I tag anything, I'll just pray nobody was looking and jam out".

I cant see out the back of the dock truck I drive at work, and I back it up all day with just side mirrors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Dark One posted:

quote:

While he was being rescued, Warmerdam said to fire chief Steve Chadwick, "Tell my wife, Amy, that I love her." Chadwick replied, "No sir, you tell her that you love her, because I'm getting you out of here." The emergency crews successfully pulled Warmerdam out of the aircraft ... Despite his injuries, Warmerdam survived the plane crash.

Hot drat, this is like seeing the stinger at the end of a movie for the first time.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

JB50 posted:

I cant see out the back of the dock truck I drive at work, and I back it up all day with just side mirrors.

Yeah but there's a reason for that and you do it every day.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FIRST TIME posted:

There was another pilot who gut sucked outside the cockpit window when it flew off mid-flight because a mechanic used the wrong sized bolts.

They managed to land the plane and he survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

Blown out, actually, as the pressure inside the plane was greater.

Also I'm sure you've watched it but for everyone else, you need to see the Air Crash Investigation episode based on this incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIQQhqpVY80

Better yet watch every episode of Air Crash Investigation, it's a great show.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

goodness posted:

My buddy is a glass blower whose neighbor thinks the fumes are making their way over to his house and hurting him somehow. So he has devised an ingenious way to keep those pesky fumes away.

Yes that is a box fan

That lovely looking house is probably mold central.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Blown out, actually, as the pressure inside the plane was greater.

Are you implying suction doesn't go toward low pressure? I don't understand the distinction you're making here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emy posted:

Are you implying suction doesn't go toward low pressure? I don't understand the distinction you're making here.

Imagine a plane on a treadmill,

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Emy posted:

It's an interesting point. Do we determine which is which based on the total volume of the higher pressure gradient? Like if it's the inside of the plane you're blown out, but you're sucked into an engine intake?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vObSEL57n2I

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sirotan posted:

Better yet watch every episode of Air Crash Investigation, it's a great show.

Seconded. I found out about the show after Air Canada made the surreal decision to include it in their in-flight entertainment options. I guess we've come a long way from cutting out scenes where a character just expresses a fear of flying, let along an air crash scene

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

stillvisions posted:

Seconded. I found out about the show after Air Canada made the surreal decision to include it in their in-flight entertainment options. I guess we've come a long way from cutting out scenes where a character just expresses a fear of flying, let along an air crash scene

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Emy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_sprinkler

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

stillvisions posted:

Ha ha, I've joked about watching Air Crash Investigation on a plane. I never knew it was actually offered by the airline. :psyduck:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

FIRST TIME posted:

Ha ha, I've joked about watching Air Crash Investigation on a plane. I never knew it was actually offered by the airline. :psyduck:

I only saw it the one time on a Toronto-Vancouver flight; the first episode was one where they land safely and I thought "oh, they're picking episodes to reassure flyers" but the next ep was a "nope everybody dies" one. Only thing I can think is because Air Canada is the official carrier for Canada "having Canadian content" somehow managed to trump "is about people dying in air crashes".

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

That happened in a grocery store I used to work at once. It was the aisle with the deodorant on it. A can of Axe broke on impact, took off like a rocket, and barely missed hitting a cashier in the head.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I need to take it easy on this thread. I've been having OSHA related nightmares the last 3 days in a row.
The airplane related ones were by far the worst.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I need to take it easy on this thread. I've been having OSHA related nightmares the last 3 days in a row.
The airplane related ones were by far the worst.
On topic of airplanes, how common are mild crash-related panic attacks during the first flight?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kalstrams posted:

On topic of airplanes, how common are mild crash-related panic attacks during the first flight?

Probably pretty drat common considering how the media screams its head off every time something bad happens with a plane. I've learned to be much more afraid of driving on the interstate than flying in a commercial airliner that's not going over active war zones.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably pretty drat common considering how the media screams its head off every time something bad happens with a plane. I've learned to be much more afraid of driving on the interstate than flying in a commercial airliner that's not going over active war zones.

One of the reasons I really enjoy watching Air Crash Investigation and urge other people to as well is it actually made me feel safer about flying. Yeah, planes crash, but they are rare and assuming your pilot isn't a moron, they along with the really advanced technology flying the plane can probably manage to save you from whatever crazy scenario you're in. Ran out of fuel at 30k feet? No worries, you can glide it to a landing strip. Pilots being attacked by a guy with an axe trying to suicide himself for the insurance money? It's ok, they can roll the thing on its belly and take it near mach 1 speeds and you'll still make it home alive. Explosive decompression from a faulty cargo door takes out a chunk of the fuselage? Well, those 6 people that went through the engine didn't have a good time, but everyone else made it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
"OSHA - Well, those 6 people that went through the engine didn't have a good time, but everyone else made it!!"

• Locked thread