Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 2, 2015

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJA3gQ6jmxc

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

There's nothing Tim & Eric do that isn't genius.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

There's nothing Tim & Eric do that isn't genius.

They've done a lot of dumb unfunny filler poo poo for a show that's less than 15 mins long but I still like a lot of their stuff

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Aesop Poprock posted:

They've done a lot of dumb unfunny filler poo poo for a show that's less than 15 mins long but I still like a lot of their stuff

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

quote:

The trial of a Turkish man accused of insulting the president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, by comparing him to Gollum has been adjourned so that a group of experts can study JRR Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings character, Turkish media has reported.

Bilgin Çiftçi was fired from his job as a civil servant in October after sharing images comparing Erdoğan’s facial expressions to those of Gollum.

According to a report in the daily newspaper Today’s Zaman, a court in Aydın has adjourned Çiftçi’s trial as the chief judge had not seen the Lord of the Rings films. The court-appointed experts have reportedly been asked to determine whether the comparison is indeed an insult.

Erdoğan’s reign has been characterised by intense pressure on the media and the prosecution of many local journalists. They have decried what they say is the worst crackdown on the press in the republic’s history, saying the Turkish president has little tolerance for mockery or dissent.

Gollum is known for his grotesque appearance, his split personality, eating raw fish and disliking rabbit stew and potatoes, but also for assisting the hobbits Frodo and Sam in their quest to reach Mount Doom to destroy the Ring of Power, thereby defeating the evil Lord Sauron and ushering in an era of peace in the fictional world of Middle Earth.

Some social media users have accused Erdoğan of being “precious” – a favourite word of Gollum – over any mockery. Others pointed out that a more apt comparison would be to compare Erdoğan to Denethor or Saruman, two tragic characters in JRR Tolkein’s trilogy who are undermined by their own ambitions.

Real life continues to be way weirder than anything an author could come up with.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Merry Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Pn16dCWIg

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Specific signs that goons may be radicalized: buying a phone, being critical of foreign policy and the media.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

The Dark One posted:

Specific signs that goons may be radicalized: buying a phone, being critical of foreign policy and the media.

So, just going by the right column, basicvally:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
thoughts and prayers

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This guy is retweeting people's calls for prayers with how much money they received from the NRA. Like half my twitter feed is people retweeting this dudes retweets at the moment.

He's totally cashing in on a tragedy though

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Dark One posted:

thoughts and prayers

1 Be careful not to parade your uprightness in public to attract attention; otherwise you will lose all reward from your Father in heaven.

2 So when you give alms, do not have it trumpeted before you; this is what the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win human admiration. In truth I tell you, they have had their reward.

3 But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing;

4 your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

5 'And when you pray, do not imitate the hypocrites: they love to say their prayers standing up in the synagogues and at the street corners for people to see them. In truth I tell you, they have had their reward.

6 But when you pray, go to your private room, shut yourself in, and so pray to your Father who is in that secret place, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

7 'In your prayers do not babble as the gentiles do, for they think that by using many words they will make themselves heard.

8 Do not be like them; your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Dark One posted:

thoughts and prayers

Guess what

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dirt posted:

He's totally cashing in on a tragedy though

Who isn't right now? There are several prominent Democrats that get money from the NRA too so it's not just a Republican thing. Also, I recall Obama calling for prayers after shootings and just about everything else too.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Who isn't right now? There are several prominent Democrats that get money from the NRA too so it's not just a Republican thing. Also, I recall Obama calling for prayers after shootings and just about everything else too.

I was joking about cashing in on a tragedy. Should of included some sort of emoji to show sarcasm. I'm sorry.

Also, if I had to guess, I would say Republicans probably get considerably more money from the NRA than Democrats do.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Only took about a hour and a half for Clinton to cash in.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dirt posted:

I was joking about cashing in on a tragedy. Should of included some sort of emoji to show sarcasm. I'm sorry.

Also, if I had to guess, I would say Republicans probably get considerably more money from the NRA than Democrats do.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dirt posted:

You're right. The Republicans are extra, EXTRA bad. :colbert:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Yes, yes they are

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is he using a water bottle for a level there?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

spacetoaster posted:

Is he using a water bottle for a level there?

He's re-wetting mortar so he can tap the misaligned brick into place.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

spacetoaster posted:

This, but unironically.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

e: double post

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 3, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn in his younger days before the press started following him around and yelling at him for not wanting to bomb people or whatever.

This makes me so loving mad and I'm not even American and I have no idea what gun control policies should be enacted. But what is it about this topic in American politics that makes everyone suddenly start talking like Donald Trump?

A serious politician can't get away with saying "we have to do something about Syria" and offer no specifics or actual ideas. Like, throw out a loving policy! Start an actual discussion instead of just telling everyone they need a discussion.

"Guys, we have to do something about [x]" is as much of a political position as "I don't like lettuce".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

This makes me so loving mad and I'm not even American and I have no idea what gun control policies should be enacted. But what is it about this topic in American politics that makes everyone suddenly start talking like Donald Trump?

A serious politician can't get away with saying "we have to do something about Syria" and offer no specifics or actual ideas. Like, throw out a loving policy! Start an actual discussion instead of just telling everyone they need a discussion.

"Guys, we have to do something about [x]" is as much of a political position as "I don't like lettuce".

When the hotly debated issue is whether you should even have a national discussion on gun control, going on record with "we need to do something" is actually a valuable statement. The goal is not to propose a specific policy, the goal is to get people to realize you need to change something in the first place.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

botany posted:

When the hotly debated issue is whether you should even have a national discussion on gun control, going on record with "we need to do something" is actually a valuable statement. The goal is not to propose a specific policy, the goal is to get people to realize you need to change something in the first place.

What the gently caress is a "national discussion"? How is that different from people voting for politicians that support their side of the issue and/or contributing to groups lobbying on their behalf? Because that's something that's already being done. Mama and papa government don't need to sit us all down in the national living room and give us a stern lecture, goddamn.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've been staring for over a minute and I still can't find the hidden black dude in the picture.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A black person in a photograph with Dave Agema? Are you mad?

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/01/ken_braun_dave_agemas_white_su.html

• Locked thread