Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh, okay. The OP's like not to post anywhere else so wasn't sure how to take it.

That said, sweet, they're translating Nomi Joshi too. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh! Lord Jesus is new and wacky. Only two chapters translated so far.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I know I'm like... a decade late to the party, but I'm 11 chapters into Kimi ni Todoke and I don't like this Kurumi girl trying to manipulate our dear Sawako :mad:

edit:

Terper posted:

Kind of assumed that image's context would totally change my assumption, but nope!

Hocus Pocus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 30, 2015

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Terper posted:

The panel worried me, but this is a fun spin on the assertive/tsundere gal. and g-g-ghoooooosts! :ghost: I like it, thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hocus Pocus posted:

I know I'm like... a decade late to the party, but I'm 11 chapters into Kimi ni Todoke and I don't like this Kurumi girl trying to manipulate our dear Sawako :mad:
Kimi ni todoke is really good and then gets really bad

It's a drat shame

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't say it gets BAD bad, I mean I still feel compelled enough to read it which is waaaaaaay more than I could say about other romance series I've started->loved->dropped like Skip Beat. It's just gone on about 3 times longer than it should have and needs to realize the only relationship we care about is Sawako's.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 30, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anyone still reading the Boys Over Flowers and Fruits Basket sequels? The former is kind of bad, frankly, but I'm not sure it's worse than the original which while I have heaps of nostalgia for is kind of a distillation of a lot of bad shoujo cliches and tropes. The latter I guess is fine, if exceedingly unoriginal as it's literally introducing new characters as "Hey, remember that Sohma? Well here's his son that looks and acts just like him!".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

I wouldn't say it gets BAD bad, I mean I still feel compelled enough to read it which is waaaaaaay more than I could say about other romance series I've started->loved->dropped like Skip Beat. It's just gone on about 3 times longer than it should have and needs to realize the only relationship we care about is Sawako's.

I actually cared about the other ones too but not to the extent the author has dragged them out for

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Nate RFB posted:

Anyone still reading the Boys Over Flowers and Fruits Basket sequels? The former is kind of bad, frankly, but I'm not sure it's worse than the original which while I have heaps of nostalgia for is kind of a distillation of a lot of bad shoujo cliches and tropes. The latter I guess is fine, if exceedingly unoriginal as it's literally introducing new characters as "Hey, remember that Sohma? Well here's his son that looks and acts just like him!".

I'm really liking the boys over flowers sequel, personally. But sometimes I just want shoujo cliches v:shobon:v

but I'm also bad at keeping up with it, so I haven't read it in like a month.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like this has the original creator made any other manga? Also, glasses guy :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

I like this has the original creator made any other manga? Also, glasses guy :3:

Nothing else listed for them on mangaupdates so I guess not.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Does Sing Tomorrow for me get any better later on? I think I'm up to ch 30+ and I see that they have a few volumes already scanlated so someone must like reading this. I figured I'd like SoL story and indecisive MC but it's really slow as in I don't see anything interesting going on.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

YES YES YES

edit: in case it's not obvious this means there is a new chapter of Please Love the Useless Me

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 1, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Flower and the Star is very good and cute, but good god I think it's setting a new standard for girls not realizing they like each other.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mikl posted:

Also go read Kaguya wants to be confessed to right now because it's awesome.

New chapter of Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to. And yes, it is awesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

How many chapters behind are we at this point, anyways?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

We're two chapters into volume 4 of the 7 that exist so however many that is.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Holy crap that was so good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish Haru x Kiyo would get licensed so I could buy it and read a coherent translation. New chapter out btw.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 1, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Daidai Boshi
This looks like it'll be cute, only one chapter so far though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry, but I'm still not recovered from Stretch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Sorry, but I'm still not recovered from Stretch.

with that one page they acknowledge that there is something going on there, which is further than goddamn stretch ever got

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Captain Invictus posted:

If you can read spanish, there are translations that are much more up to date.

Telenovela music optional.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I have a language/context question! In Kimi ni Todoke there's a lot of talk of Kazehaya being 'refreshing', or Kento thinking himself 'refreshing'. Originally I took this as Kazehaya has a personality that lifts the atmosphere/enlivens people. But In chapter 66 he's sitting with Kento asking if it is okay that he isn't 'refreshing'.

Am I missing some framing for their usage of 'refreshing'? Or can I read it as Kazehaya being worried about being to gloomy/distant?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Serious Frolicking posted:

with that one page they acknowledge that there is something going on there, which is further than goddamn stretch ever got

Those two are dating in everything but name, and everybody else pokes them about obviously crushing super hard on each other.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another fantastic new chapter of Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

JosephWongKS posted:

She really, really wants his wiener.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

She's gonna end up with the other girl.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

P good

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

JosephWongKS posted:

It's amazing. You'd think the joke would start to wear thin after a few chapters, instead it just keep getting better :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They're so smart they wrap around to being super dumb.

Crossover with Jitsu wa when?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any yuri-ish stuff that started out vague and subtexty where the girls actually did get together in the end? I guess you can maybe-possibly argue for Girl Friends (at least, in the early chapters), but that's the closest I can think of. Maybe Utena? Haven't watched that, so I'm not clear on how heavily telegraphed Utena and Anthy's relationship was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing that really springs to mind, as a general rule if you want yuri you write yuri, if you just want subtext you write subtext.
The closest thing is probably Nanoha, which starts of as subtext and ends up with them living together and raising a child, of course no-one actually says the 'L' word or confirms in universe that they're married or whatever. I think the writer went on record as saying he considered them a couple though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Nothing that really springs to mind, as a general rule if you want yuri you write yuri, if you just want subtext you write subtext.
The closest thing is probably Nanoha, which starts of as subtext and ends up with them living together and raising a child, of course no-one actually says the 'L' word or confirms in universe that they're married or whatever. I think the writer went on record as saying he considered them a couple though.

Yeah, I was just thinking because there's a lot of folks ITT who get seriously disappointed when heavily-teased homoerotic relationships in shows/manga don't pan out, and while I'm not blaming them for that, I was just curious if there had ever been cases where it had become an actual gay relationship.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's why I'm worried about Euphonium season two because I can think of more than one show that went the other way and started out subtexty before deciding to drop the whole thing for whatever reason.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That's why I'm worried about Euphonium season two because I can think of more than one show that went the other way and started out subtexty before deciding to drop the whole thing for whatever reason.

You've read that creator interview, right? It's not happening. It's just a very close, very important friendship that transcends (implicitly heterosexual) romance. Brace yourself now.

Actually, come to think of it, would Madoka count for what we're talking about?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eeehhh, personally I'd say no, Madoka and Homura's relationship is way more complex than 'just' romantic feelings and Kyoko/Sayaka is still only (for me) heavily implied subtext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sakurazuka posted:

Eeehhh, personally I'd say no, Madoka and Homura's relationship is way more complex than 'just' romantic feelings and Kyoko/Sayaka is still only (for me) heavily implied subtext.

I'd say the third movie turns the romantic subtext into text at least on Homura's side of things, but it also definitely doesn't end with them as a couple so it's still not the best example if what someone wants is a story where the characters actually get together.

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe Utena? Haven't watched that, so I'm not clear on how heavily telegraphed Utena and Anthy's relationship was.

Well, I mean, technically they're engaged to be married as of the end of the first episode...

When you think about it, Utena is pretty much a magical girlfriend series: main character unwittingly draws a girl into their life, who ends up making their life a whole lot more complicated as the girl's unusual nature causes all sorts of problems but they're unable or unwilling to just walk away from the situation. All the usual story beats are there, it's just the protagonist is a girl.