Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I enjoyed the Vader issue because of the lack of traditional power creep. In the ol EU he'd throw a mountain at them or something in the issue he basicaly pulls the pins from their grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Anyone else think this Star Wars issue felt a bit too.... slapstick?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I mean BeeTee escalated quickly from "has a big blaster in his head" to "he fits multiple miniguns and missile launchers in his body how?" Also the whole Beehive gag. I dunno, maybe I'm just in a sourpuss mood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with you, that gif is just what I think of when I think of Star Wars slapstick.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The slapstick didn't bother me, the rapid switch from "lol space bees" then back to Motherfucking Darth Vader choking fools and beating down scrubs was a little jarring though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zdarsky variant.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Star Wars Annual #1 dropped today. I enjoyed it, and now I have a new character I really dig and hope we get more development soon, and we don't have to wait until next year.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Zdarsky variant.

I am surprised as poo poo that the green rabbit man in a red and yellow spacesuit is an original Star Wars character and is not in any way Bucky O'hare, captain of the Righteous Indignation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Predates him by a year in fact.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nabbed that whole arc for a dollar a piece. I've been sitting on it for a couple months, but I think it's about time to read it this weekend. I heard it's a take on Seven Samurai with Han Solo, Chewbacca, and a green rabbit man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the characters is a senile old man who became enamoured of the tales of the Jedi Knights (this being when it was assumed that the Jedi had been dead and gone for quite a long time, rather than 20 years) and decided to emulate his idols. His name?

Don-Wan Kihotay.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the characters is a senile old man who became enamoured of the tales of the Jedi Knights (this being when it was assumed that the Jedi had been dead and gone for quite a long time, rather than 20 years) and decided to emulate his idols. His name?

Don-Wan Kihotay.

poo poo, that's great.

Ahaha, look at him, this guy is the best

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 10, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bloodly posted:

Because he's only one man and can only send him to one place at a time. Which makes you wonder why he didn't go in for that whle 'Sith Army' bit he spouted at Dooku. Then again, machines can't turn on you as much as humans can, and Vader's 'special' anyway, even at half-power.

Yeah, a Sith army is a bad idea. Sure, the "rule of two" is really stupid, but a whole army of Sith who would love to overthrow you at a moment's notice would be hard to handle. At least droids do what they're told. Or well, they at least try to and frequently fail utterly due to ineptitude but it's the thought that counts, right?

Lurdiak posted:

Expanded universe power creep makes a lot of the stuff in the original films seem pointless.

The Force Unleashed pretty much shits over everything that happened in the OT and is like DBZ without the humor or sense of irony. The story in it is worse than the prequels and I stand by that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The force unleashed has stupid super force powers because its a video game, I recall watching a making of video or some such where one of the devs says "if we were making this story in another medium, the force powers would be more restrained".

Of course, the story sucks too, but the powers were fun, IMO. At least in the first one, didn't play the second.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The force unleashed has stupid super force powers because its a video game, I recall watching a making of video or some such where one of the devs says "if we were making this story in another medium, the force powers would be more restrained".

Of course, the story sucks too, but the powers were fun, IMO. At least in the first one, didn't play the second.
The gameplay in the second is better (and more hilarious), except for a bullshit platforming section and un-fun boss fight in the last level of the game. If nothing else it's worth playing through it on Easy and steamrolling the enemies with ridiculous Force powers, it's super fun.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Mind you, my hatred of that game probably stems from the fact that I got the Wii version. Not a good choice.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mind you, my hatred of that game probably stems from the fact that I got the Wii version. Not a good choice.
drat son, you hosed up.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

drat son, you hosed up.

Yeah.

But I can't help but feel that I'd like the game a lot better if you played as Darth Vader throughout instead of Mr. Mary Sue original character Do Not Steal Starkiller.

A Darth Vader game would just be really friggin' cool, because Darth Vader owns. I don't need to tell you that, you've seen the movies and read his comics. I would probably eat up a whole movie starring Darth Vader hunting down Jedi and being a bad dude.

Granted, I think people are hesitant to do a Vader game as throughout the movies, he was never shown to be very acrobatic and or very fast (he was never shown running ever) and they might be worried that Darth Vader might be too slow. Who are we to say that Darth Vader can't run? He just never had the need to. He just sauntered around being large and in charge and oozing swagger. He has robot legs and his suit breathes for him, so it isn't like he's going to run out of breath.

..maybe it's that Darth Vader would look kinda silly running around and might trip on something, because after all, he is wearing a full mask with little eyeholes and a cape. If he ran around, it would probably mess with his badassitude. Especially if he tripped over a mouse droid or something. He goes after people in an almost Jason Vorhees kind of way.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 17, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The comics have never tried to get Vader right so I don't know why the games would care.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I'm thinking Lenlil Yu should just go ahead and take over the regular ongoing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I haven't read the Vader annual yet. Does Yu manage to sneak in Howard the Duck into a splash page? If anyone was going to get Howard into a Star Wars book it'd be him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Force Unleashed pretty much shits over everything that happened in the OT and is like DBZ without the humor or sense of irony. The story in it is worse than the prequels and I stand by that.

And still people came out of the woodwork to whinge about the Rebels cartoon because "STARKILLER FORMED THE REBELLION!" :qq:"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

And still people came out of the woodwork to whinge about the Rebels cartoon because "STARKILLER FORMED THE REBELLION!" :qq:"

Thanks for reminding me. :barf: :barf:

I am so glad they threw the old continuity in the trash.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

zoux posted:

So I'm thinking Lenlil Yu should just go ahead and take over the regular ongoing.

Incidentally I hope it turns out lots of heads of planets got bits of Alderaan as diplomatic gifts/vague threats. That seems like something the Empire would do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thanks for reminding me. :barf: :barf:

I am so glad they threw the old continuity in the trash.

Wasn't it during the production TFU (or TFU2) where George Lucas stopped by at LucasArts to see how things were going and they invited him to suggest some names for Starkiller's Sith persona and he came up with "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius" and none of them cold tell if he was being serious or not?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes, that was those games. And Lucas is a masterful troll at times.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I may be mis-remembering, but in the Lego Star Wars: Yoda Chronicles series running on Disney XD (which is friggin' hilarious, btw) at one point Luke sees holocron footage of Yoda, Obi-Wan and Dooku and says something like "Dooku? They sure had some dumb names back then!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Wars has some really good names too though: lightsaber, Darth Vader, Jedi, Sith, all cool neologisms.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Horse's Legacy comic, while quite good, ran out of "Darth" names pretty quick.

No one's ever gonna top the Emperor's mentally ill (inasmuch as he was a pacifist, which the Emperor considered a mental illness) illegitimate son, whose defining feature was that he had tree eyes - "Triclops".

He was from the notorious Jedi Prince / Glove of Darth Vader series for young readers. There was another guy with three eyes who tried to impersonate Triclops, called Trioculus. He was assisted by an Imperial officer called Grand Moff Hissa. Another Imperial in the same series was called Grand Admiral Grunger. His aim was to procure the titular glove of Darth Vader, so the Prophet of the Dark Side would give him his "dark blessing" and proclaim him Palpatine's rightful heir.

There is a scene where Trioculus marries a robotic duplicate of Princess Leia in an Imperial wedding officiated by Grand Moff Hissa, who reads from a Dark Side Bible he obtained from the Church of the Dark Side. The robot Leia shoots him with her laser eyes.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 17, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dark Horse's Legacy comic, while quite good, ran out of "Darth" names pretty quick.

No one's ever gonna top the Emperor's mentally ill (inasmuch as he was a pacifist, which the Emperor considered a mental illness) illegitimate son, whose defining feature was that he had tree eyes - "Triclops".

He was from the notorious Jedi Prince / Glove of Darth Vader series for young readers. There was another guy with three eyes who tried to impersonate Triclops, called Trioculus. He was assisted by an Imperial officer called Grand Moff Hissa. Another Imperial in the same series was called Grand Admiral Grunger. His aim was to procure the titular glove of Darth Vader, so the Prophet of the Dark Side would give him his "dark blessing" and proclaim him Palpatine's rightful heir.

There is a scene where Trioculus marries a robotic duplicate of Princess Leia in an Imperial wedding officiated by Grand Moff Hissa, who reads from a Dark Side Bible he obtained from the Church of the Dark Side. The robot Leia shoots him with her laser eyes.

:allears: go on

I remember those two made-for-TV Ewok movies, they were pretty disturbing for Ewok-themed "kid" movies, lots of characters died.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 17, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh geez, I hadn't realized they rehashed that tired plotline again. :rolleyes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Moff Hissa there is in a Professor X hover chair because his legs got eaten or melted or something when he and Trioculus decided to take a break from their hunt for the glove of Darth Vader so they could go and poach endangered wildlife on a planet they happened to be passing.

Right. So, the thing that really kicked off the EU in the 1990s was Tim Zahn's Heir to the Empire / Thrawn trilogy. However, the man who probably had the biggest impact on what the EU looked liked in the decade was a guy called Kevin J. Anderson, who wrote several novels and comics but also had a fair amount of influence as an editor and contributor to the reference books that defined a lot of the EU at a time when it was the only new Star Wars there was.

One of his most notorious novels, in many ways the apotheosis of every cliché about the Star Wars EU in the Bantam Spectra era, was Darksaber. Yes. Darksaber. In this novel, we meet Durga the Hutt. He schemes to steal the Death Star plans and build his own superweapon in the asteroid field from ESB - the Darksaber. Because it's shaped like a giant lighsaber. Except he's evil, so it's called the Darksaber. When the New Republic finds out, they send a strike team commanded by General Crix Madine (one of the officers who briefed the Rebels on the planned attack on the Death Star in ROTJ) to investigate and sabotage the station. He is captured and shot dead (he is, in fact, the first named movie character to be killed off in an EU story). Only it's a massive shaggy dog story because the space jellyfish Durga is using to build the thing are incompetent, and as soon as he tries to pilot it out of the asteroid field the main gun fails and it gets smashed to pieces. All this happens independently of anything the heroes actually do.

Meanwhile, Luke is accompanying his girlfriend du jour, Callista (who is the disembodied mind of an Old Republic Jedi that Luke fell in love with while she was trapped in the computer core of another Imperial superweapon called the Eye of Palpatine for 30 years reincarnated in the body of one of Luke's Jedi students) to locations from the movies where he felt a strong connection to the Force to help her re-establish her own lost Force sensitivity. He takes her to Hoth, where he escaped the wampa cave and saw Obi-Wan's spirit telling him to go and train with Yoda, when they find a party there to hunt wampas. Suddenly, they're attacked by a massive horde of wampas, who are under the command of the one Luke dismembered back in Episode V, which has apparently been waiting all this time to take revenge.

There's a third plot where one of Anderson's other recurring characters, Admiral Daala (Grand Moff Tarkin's ex-girlfriend, who is supposed to be a military genius but is actually brain-damaged) tries to use her fleet to attack Luke's Jedi academy, only for his students to use some kind of Force amplifying technique to Force push a dozen orbiting star destroyers to the far side of the system. There's some other stuff but it's pretty dull by comparison.

And people wonder why Disney wanted rid of this stuff. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 18, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the stuff that the EU lords are threatening a spoiler campaign to save.

That is to say, make canon, they are free to read as much EU stuff as they want.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Also the Death Star designer, who had been repeatedly executed and cloned by The Empower. Pretty much rendered irrelevant by the Death Star plans showing up in AotC. Anderson also conceived of the Sun Crusher superweapon, like a diamond lined starstarfighter with missiles to blow up suns.

I remember Zsinj being a decent villain, but the warlords and Imperial remnant were a mess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Grand Moff Hissa there is in a Professor X hover chair because his legs got eaten or melted or something when he and Trioculus decided to take a break from their hunt for the glove of Darth Vader so they could go and poach endangered wildlife on a planet they happened to be passing.

Right. So, the thing that really kicked off the EU in the 1990s was Tim Zahn's Heir to the Empire / Thrawn trilogy. However, the man who probably had the biggest impact on what the EU looked liked in the decade was a guy called Kevin J. Anderson, who wrote several novels and comics but also had a fair amount of influence as an editor and contributor to the reference books that defined a lot of the EU at a time when it was the only new Star Wars there was.

One of his most notorious novels, in many ways the apotheosis of every cliché about the Star Wars EU in the Bantam Spectra era, was Darksaber. Yes. Darksaber. In this novel, we meet Durga the Hutt. He schemes to steal the Death Star plans and build his own superweapon in the asteroid field from ESB - the Darksaber. Because it's shaped like a giant lighsaber. Except he's evil, so it's called the Darksaber. When the New Republic finds out, they send a strike team commanded by General Crix Madine (one of the officers who briefed the Rebels on the planned attack on the Death Star in ROTJ) to investigate and sabotage the station. He is captured and shot dead (he is, in fact, the first named movie character to be killed off in an EU story). Only it's a massive shaggy dog story because the space jellyfish Durga is using to build the thing are incompetent, and as soon as he tries to pilot it out of the asteroid field the main gun fails and it gets smashed to pieces. All this happens independently of anything the heroes actually do.

Meanwhile, Luke is accompanying his girlfriend du jour, Callista (who is the disembodied mind of an Old Republic Jedi that Luke fell in love with while she was trapped in the computer core of another Imperial superweapon called the Eye of Palpatine for 30 years reincarnated in the body of one of Luke's Jedi students) to locations from the movies where he felt a strong connection to the Force to help her re-establish her own lost Force sensitivity. He takes her to Hoth, where he escaped the wampa cave and saw Obi-Wan's spirit telling him to go and train with Yoda, when they find a party there to hunt wampas. Suddenly, they're attacked by a massive horde of wampas, who are under the command of the one Luke dismembered back in Episode V, which has apparently been waiting all this time to take revenge.

There's a third plot where one of Anderson's other recurring characters, Admiral Daala (Grand Moff Tarkin's ex-girlfriend, who is supposed to be a military genius but is actually brain-damaged) tries to use her fleet to attack Luke's Jedi academy, only for his students to use some kind of Force amplifying technique to Force push a dozen orbiting star destroyers to the far side of the system. There's some other stuff but it's pretty dull by comparison.

This stuff sounds so interesting. Instead we get this boring poo poo. Makes me sad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He probably had a hand in the World Devastators (flying factories that suck up minerals from a planet and convert them into droid TIE fighters, which is actually a pretty fun idea) from Dark Empire, which was mainly written by Veitch. I'm pretty sure the Galaxy Gun (a gigantic space station that can fire planet-destroying missiles anywhere in the galaxy through hyperspace) and the Eclipse (the Emperor's personal flagship, a massive star destroyer with a planet-destroying Death Star laser on its prow) were all him, though.

Zsinj was fun because when he was introduced (in The Courtship of Princess Leia a.k.a. The Erotic Adventures of Luke Skywalker), he was almost entirely incidental, and portrayed as an incompetent nincompoop (he even looked sort of like Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army) who only had power because he had a super star destroyer and a superweapon that allowed him to block planets off from their stars (his main henchman was an Aryan with platinum fingernails he used as torture instruments) but then Aaron Allston decided he liked the character and used him as the main villain in some of the X-Wing books, which retconned it so Zsinj is basically a Bond villain, and he and his subordinates were all former military intelligence operatives who play up their cartoon supervillainy to misdirect their enemies.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read those books! I was a child.

I remember Admiral Daala. She was on the cover.

She purty.

You know who was space-Namor? Xizor. I... just got the name. Just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I liked Warlord Zsinj. He was a good baddie because he was different than the typical stock Imperials. Zsinj, Thrawn and Isaard are really the only EU Imperials worth mentioning. And I guess Sate Pestage, too.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sometimes I try to think up Sith Lord names but I just can't think of any that don't sound really silly. Vader, Bane, Maul and Sidious and I guess Tyrannus are all right. Of course, it seems like to make a Sith name, you find a word that means something bad, then take off the first couple letters and\or add an "s" on the end. Invader. Insidious. Plagueis. Tyran(t)us.

Darth Krayt is also a really lame name.