Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Elmnt80 posted:

Are all people from jersey/new york like this?

Based on my experience with people from NY/NJ (I had a manager from NJ at a previous job for about three years) this is remarkably calm - had you led with the geographic origin of this customer I would have expected the story to end with the wiper blades being thrown across the counter at your head and a string of expletives that would embarrass a sailor being screamed at nobody in particular while he stormed out of the store in a fit of rage after he found out how much replacement assemblies cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

I remember from last year :v: i'm a big fan of this one:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Elmnt80 posted:

super special mercedes OEM wiper blades ... Which were $90 because :mercedes:.

I really want to see these wiper blades, like how...?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bajaha posted:

The majority of the new ones use those mono blades that are like one long piece of curved rubber. I see OEM ones listed for around $100 or Bosch replacements for $40. Is that what they're talking about? Or are we talking the W201-style ones that are like standard blades inside a big plastic armature?

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just got frontpaged on Jalopnik, Orlove promoted one of my insane stories (thankfully with a photograph that I took).

I tried for awhile to do this with actual serious literal writing on Opposite Lock, but uh, this is fine too. It's fine.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-overhead-fluorescent-lights-flickered-to-life-sett-1744631178

I loved that, thanks.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bajaha posted:

Usually they're not much different than regular wipers, they just have a proprietary connector with the wiper arm that allows the manufacturer/dealer to extort 3-4 times the value of a normal set of blades out of owners.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

The majority of the new ones use those mono blades that are like one long piece of curved rubber. I see OEM ones listed for around $100 or Bosch replacements for $40. Is that what they're talking about? Or are we talking the W201-style ones that are like standard blades inside a big plastic armature?

I pay $12.50 a piece for the monoblades at Costco (Goodyear Assurance ones) - and that's A$ in Australia. Those stupidly high prices are just what the manufacturer gets to charge while under warranty or what they charge people who go to stealerships for maintenance even after the warranty is up.

piss boner posted:

I loved that, thanks.

Then you'll love his tumblr! http://seat-safety-switch.tumblr.com/

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

Usually they're not much different than regular wipers, they just have a proprietary connector with the wiper arm that allows the manufacturer/dealer to extort 3-4 times the value of a normal set of blades out of owners.

Its just so the owners can say "Oh my wiper blades are Mercedes branded, you have to go to the dealer to get them, they come from Germany" ooouuuhhhhhh :allears:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My Mercedes only has one wiper blade.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Three straight days of rain has revealed either my top has a leak or the drain behind the drivers seat is clogged, because there is an intensely unpleasant mildew smell and some wet carpet on the back shelf thing. :smith:

Edit: 1/4 inch drain snake from work fit in the drain holes perfectly and now they're nice and clean. Just gotta dry it out now and I should be good to go :toot:

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 3, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CharlesM posted:

My Mercedes only has one wiper blade.

My Scirocco was the first year that had two wipers. :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Spent the past 2 days chasing a math problem.

Ugh.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Geoj posted:

Bingo, it was on a '05 C240 if you wanna look at the fronts yourself. :v:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Any Atlanta goons mind checking out a car for me? Will gladly PayPal some gas money or whatever. Looks to be northwest Atlanta-ish...between Marietta and Cumming.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cumming on Marietta?

:v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Day three of Dealer Track.

I want to shoot myself in the face.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the gently caress?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You dissin' on Joey?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Guys I'm 33 for ~24 hours. So far it's the same as 32.

Actually it's totally different. I'm married, have a car over 200HP again, live with the wife and I'm doing a different job.

I also realized I've been posting on this forum for over 10 years. Holy gently caress where does time go.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You've been posting on this forum for 13 years.

I didn't know what a forum was until I was 13.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

Time to outlaw guns regulate gun ownership waffle and moan about how this isnt the time while mourning to the world "who could possibly have predicted this thing that's happened dozens of times this year alone?"

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf

Still hovering just above 50% of the firearm-related homicide stats from the mid 1990's, non-fatal firearm crime victimization is down to 1/3 of what it was then.

Media's going to scream because it's popular to scream, and blood sells, but the murder train isn't nearly up to speed yet.

Worst part about this whole thing is that we're starting to get right-wing domestic terrorism, though. poo poo's hosed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I get that crime's down across the board, it's just guns seem to do a whole lot more harm than good these days. You can't regulate evil out of the human experience, but you can make it a whole lot harder to hurt others.

Honestly I dislike gun enthusiasts blowing wind on facebook after events like these more than I do the very idea of gun ownership.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

bjs.gov is not nearly as fun as I initially thought :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

I get that crime's down across the board, it's just guns seem to do a whole lot more harm than good these days. You can't regulate evil out of the human experience, but you can make it a whole lot harder to hurt others.

Honestly I dislike gun enthusiasts blowing wind on facebook after events like these more than I do the very idea of gun ownership.

They've learned to start making their position known early and often, because sitting quietly got them the laws that the SCOTUS has been very publicly striking down for the last few years. When the gun control side of things is very, very open about their strategy being incrementalism towards total bans, there's really not much other option than to argue.

Personally, I'd rather this sort of poo poo didn't happen, and we didn't rush to make celebrities of the killers, but that's now how the world works. Never was, really.

More fun wondering who's the next celeb going to end up drunk and trunk first in a tree that's on fire. :)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
East coast goons: cars driven in the winter in DC or Cape Cod would be 99% likely to have undercarriage rust, correct?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

East coast goons: cars driven in the winter in DC or Cape Cod would be 99% likely to have undercarriage rust, correct?

Considering the number of recent recalls for fatal rust problems, i think it's actually going to be closer to 113% likely.

Somehow even the plastic can rust.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

Considering the number of recent recalls for fatal rust problems, i think it's actually going to be closer to 113% likely.

Somehow even the plastic can rust.

Confirmed. My Michigan Suburban has a super rusty bumper and the plastic piece below it is now covered in rust. Rust runs deep.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My town is handing out gift certificates to the local car wash as a way to encourage people to save water at home. I prefer to wash at home, but I'm kind of shocked at actually getting service from my local government.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just cried my eyes out after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7PuuukzxY

dogs are the best people, and i'm so glad she has such a good friend.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought aspergers wasn't a real thing?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

literally a fish posted:

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_67201.html this thing works pretty well. I just bought a Garmin Dash Cam 20 for $99US with a now-expired sale to see if it's any good, too.

Thanks for that link. I've been meaning to buy a dash cam for a while. I bought the all-black capacitor version for about a dollar more (which is still $10 less than Amazon, even with free shipping) headed over to Amazon for a micro-SD and a hard-wire kit.

I like the one Geirskogul (sp) posted, and the little Spy-tech (a buddy uses one of those on his motorbike), but right now cheaper is better. I only commute 12 miles each way, usually, anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

It is, but they decided to just lump it in with full-on autism now. Because it wasn't quite stigmatizing enough, I guess.
(full disclosure: my daughter is near-Aspergers, and I suspect I should have been, had I ever been evaluated. She's so similar to me in behavior it's scary.)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Darchangel posted:

It is, but they decided to just lump it in with full-on autism now. Because it wasn't quite stigmatizing enough, I guess.
(full disclosure: my daughter is near-Aspergers, and I suspect I should have been, had I ever been evaluated. She's so similar to me in behavior it's scary.)

They're all "autism spectrum disorders" now, which is a nicer way of saying "we discovered that autism isn't a binary thing, oops, sorry about that", and yes, assburgers is one of the disorders "on the spectrum"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just got drunken noodles delivered. They asked how spicy. I said "as hot as you can make them, then make them hotter".

They got it perfect. I got hiccups after a few bites, and I can feel the burn slowly making its way down my throat and into my stomach. My morning poop will involve a lot of cussing.

I was wondering what took so long tho (about an hour and 20 minutes, they're only a 10 minute drive away). Driver told me he had 5 orders in the car, all going to different cities. :stare: At two-loving-thirty in the morning!

Two of them are right by another location they have. :wtc: Maybe that other one isn't open until 3am tho (it's right down the street from one of my old apartments, they would be suicidal to be open after about 9pm in that neighborhood).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Given how many loving idiots self diaged themselves and used it to blame their own lovely choices and attitudes..... it's hilarious it got put (correctly) in the Autism spectrum. Real Aspergers sufferers get professional diag and help, the non Autism suffering idiots get scared of being associated with Autism and STFU.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

gently caress man I am sick as a dog. At least I am not throwing up every 30 minutes like yesterday. My snot is neon green. So much medicines. Ughghghgh.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

8 more hours of wiring the garage because I keep changing and adding stuff. I dream of Romex.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Boss took one look at me and sent me home. I need soup. Blah.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its just so the owners can say "Oh my wiper blades are Mercedes branded, you have to go to the dealer to get them, they come from Germany" ooouuuhhhhhh :allears:

I don't think anybody has said this ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, went and picked up both volumes of the Bentley repair manual for the A4 platform and these things are impressive in real life. I'd been using a PDF but for me using a hard copy is so much easier. Previous owner of the manuals is another tall dude in a Golf (6' 7").

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Boss took one look at me and sent me home. I need soup. Blah.
Soup good. Soup real good. So are bagels. But that's for hangovers.

• Locked thread