Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Jenny Angel posted:

Supercar's post is accurate, but something else that might be confusing you is that this clip is probably some kind of "What if?" scenario that depicts Batman's fear of an unchecked Superman, and we're most likely seeing it either because Batman's head is getting hosed with by Luthor or just because he's that paranoid. So if you're asking "Does Superman actually have an underground prison in the desert guarded by Super-Gestapo that he strides menacingly past in order to unmask Batman and then scowl at the cowl", the answer is "nah, probably not".

Ah. Understood. I didn't get that from the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Is Supes gonna snap Batman's neck, is the real question.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Also, the name of the licensed BvS Batman figure clad in the trench coat and goggles heavily suggests the scene from the teaser is part of a dream/nightmare sequence. See below:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Steampunk Batman will brandish a clockwork smokebomb from his utility belt and escape moments later.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Please don't remind me of Gotham by Gaslight

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's probably inspired by Red Son and the radical Capitalist Batman arc from that story.

confused posted:

Ah. Understood. I didn't get that from the video.

The entire film is probably going to be heavily informed by Brian Azarello's Luthor, which is worth tracking down. It's the Superman v. Lex Luthor conflict told from Luthor's point of view, and at one point, he manages to basically engineer a situation where Batman battles Superman.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vagabundo posted:

It's probably inspired by Red Son and the radical Capitalist Batman arc from that story.

The entire film is probably going to be heavily informed by Brian Azarello's Luthor, which is worth tracking down. It's the Superman v. Lex Luthor conflict told from Luthor's point of view, and at one point, he manages to basically engineer a situation where Batman battles Superman.

Is that different from Man of Steel (the Azarello comic)?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is that different from Man of Steel (the Azarello comic)?

Nope, different names for the same thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lady Naga posted:

Please don't remind me of Gotham by Gaslight

What's wrong with it? It has great art

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"Knightmare"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should release the Marvel and the DC movies on the same day because the drama surrounding that would be at least as interesting as the story of either movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vegetable posted:

They should release the Marvel and the DC movies on the same day because the drama surrounding that would be at least as interesting as the story of either movies.

BvS and Civil War (I think its those two) were scheduled on the same release date, but one of the studios blinked and moved their film up a week. (BvS I think?)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MacheteZombie posted:

BvS and Civil War (I think its those two) were scheduled on the same release date, but one of the studios blinked and moved their film up a week. (BvS I think?)

Warner Bros moved BvS up 2 months.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

lol 2 months is much sooner than a week. My bad.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm not complaining. It seems like a smarter play since Cap 3 is everyone fighting everyone else and they already have built-up followings and goodwill given the past 10 years of movies, and I doubt many people would see two movies about superheroes arbitrarily fighting in one weekend.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That wasn't a correction, just a clarification. Somebody was going to do something. No way those films opened on the same day.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Would probably make for a fun double-feature afternoon though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

bobkatt013 posted:

What's wrong with it? It has great art

Steampunk poo poo gives me a headache.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Electromax posted:

Would probably make for a fun double-feature afternoon though.

That's just what they want. The ultimate mega-conglomerate deal will be signed the following day.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lady Naga posted:

Steampunk poo poo gives me a headache.

It was the very start of steampunk before it became a thing. I think James Blaylock's Digging Leviathan was the only modern piece earlier.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Get ready for the death of Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViIi3gie2c

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm one of the few who actually really likes Zack Snyder as a director (aside from Sucker Punch, obviously), but this looks terribly lovely.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dillbag posted:

I'm one of the few who actually really likes Zack Snyder as a director (aside from Sucker Punch, obviously), but this looks terribly lovely.

Did you miss out on the brief but insightful Sucker Punch discussion in the Comic Book Movie thread? Snyder will not let you down, even if the movie somehow looks lovely to you.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Opinions seem to be all over the place on that trailer. Personally, I thought it was pretty great and am down for Affleck's Batman, but I had hoped for some one-act thing where it's just a straight fight. All these other characters (aside from Eisenberg who seems to be in love with chewin' that scenery) are kind of dragging it down for me.

drat cinematic universes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

So much potential, but I can already see it will be an overblown mess of a story. It may prove me wrong, but I somehow doubt it will.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I love a good old fashioned trailer that simply exists as an abridged version of the movie. It looks like a right steaming pile of garbage, lmao.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
I feel like the second trailer just demolished most of the excitement the first trailer gave me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I had pretty much the opposite reaction to most of you to that trailer, apparently. :confused: I was lukewarm on the first trailer but this one pretty much sold me.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
That trailer just confused me. I also feel like I just saw all the major plot points. Looks pretty though. :shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Maybe there's more to a movie than the plot.

Maybe.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i don't know, i was only aware vaguely of "superman and batman do punchsports, wonder woman may turn up for some reason, lex luthor is mark zuckenberg"

so now we are given almost the whole plot, including the (i'm not sure, likely?) twist of how the two idiots' punchings are resolved?

Plot:
Batman doesn't like Superman the alien immigrant
Superman doesn't like Batman the NRA millionaire
Lex does a thing making them fight
They fight
Batman accidentally lets DoomHulksMan out
Wonder Woman appears from a Deus Ex Machina, saves them
A Team-Up Must Occur
They save day
Status quo retained

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I thought for sure one of them was going to murder the other.

E: As is common in other VS situations (eg: Mortal Kombat 1, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3,,Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Mortal Kombat 4, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Mortal Kombat: Arcade Collection, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, Mortal Kombat 9, Mortal Kombat X, etc.)

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 3, 2015

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pretty bad trailer just for giving too much away, but Lex Luthor acting like a Tim Burton Batman villain in a movie where everyone else is a dour sourpuss kind of makes me want to see it just for laugh potential.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

computer parts posted:

Maybe there's more to a movie than the plot.

Maybe.

Until we live in a post-spoiler society this won't be true.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Until we live in a post-spoiler society this won't be true.

??? Why can't you just be ur own person?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
In general it's really depressing that people care way more about the destination than the journey but nerd media in general is obsessed with treating media like a puzzle to be solved and then thrown in the garbage.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Batman's about to get destroyed and a person with a circular shield who participated in a World War swoops in to save him. Which is funny because Captain America 3 is gonna crush this movie. The first teaser was really good, but man, this falls flat at every turn.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm still not a huge fan of Affleck as Batman, he looks kinda puffy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

In general it's really depressing that people care way more about the destination than the journey but nerd media in general is obsessed with treating media like a puzzle to be solved and then thrown in the garbage.

This is a nerd movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hakkesshu posted:

This is a nerd movie

Which is why I said anything to begin with yes.

• Locked thread