Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Bandire posted:

That's a pretty good idea. I've definitely spent more gems on keys at this point then the worst case 205 gems arena cost.
If you already have the other two troops on the arena team leveled up, buying the hobgoblin only costs 60-70 gems. That's how I got mine. Not sure if there is a difference in the price if you have them at 15 instead of 10.

If you already have all three troops leveled, it costs 1 gem to buy the team. That would be a cheap way to get duplicates to turn ultra-rares into epics after the patch, if you get tired of grinding gold with invasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ninguno posted:

Do you guys ever scout troops? All these hammers and antibrown troops might do something if people did, but all I have is a hammer (goblin shaman + 3 goblins) so everything looks like a brown and green nail anyway.

I don't bother. My goblin massacre doesn't give a gently caress about anything other than the 25% chance to devour guy going on a very lucky streak (happens about once a month).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

grrarg posted:

If you already have the other two troops on the arena team leveled up, buying the hobgoblin only costs 60-70 gems. That's how I got mine. Not sure if there is a difference in the price if you have them at 15 instead of 10.

If you already have all three troops leveled, it costs 1 gem to buy the team. That would be a cheap way to get duplicates to turn ultra-rares into epics after the patch, if you get tired of grinding gold with invasions.

This would be a lot less grindy if you could buy the troops before your eighth victory. I just tested it, and both retiring and losing twice did not offer me the chance to buy the troops I used.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Grundulum posted:

This would be a lot less grindy if you could buy the troops before your eighth victory. I just tested it, and both retiring and losing twice did not offer me the chance to buy the troops I used.

I've just been starring an arena run, winning one match and retiring if I don't draw a Hobgoblin. It's break even on gold with dragon armor. I was curious if I had to finish the run to be allowed to buy it, so thanks for answering that question.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I've definitely experienced this a few times on PS4.

Me too.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

lol

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

How bad would it suck to lose to that team?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've been successfully invaded by that team before but I just have a level 1 dire wolf as my defense team.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
With all the team bonuses, that becomes a very fearsome quartet. Prior to 1.0.7 that was about as close as you could come to a "walk right in" team.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

seems like a good defense team because they actually get attack and you'd probably get some wins from the other person just saying "gently caress this" and quitting out

FYI team rockworm is still OP even below level 15, add a deep borer as an extra way to jumpstart things

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

grrarg posted:

When was the last time anyone got a Hobgoblin or Goblin Rocketeer out of either a chest or Arena team? I have never seen either in all my time playing to date.

As an aside, I've been holding onto my extra souls for a while. Maybe once the new patch drops and we have an idea of how valuable souls are in a post-crafting world, it would be worth it to level all of my rares and ultra-rares to level 10. Buying my choice of three ultra-rares for a single gem is a sweet deal; heck of a lot cheaper than buying a magic key, though I do miss out on the chance at an epic or legendary troop. Those last five levels are something like 70% of the leveling cost anyway, right?

Edit: just ran the numbers because I was bored. The cost to go from level 1-10 is 38.3-38.5% of the total cost to go from 1-15. Yeah, agreement to 2 decimal places, for all five rarities.

Edit 2: v you son of a bitch. v

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 27, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I've had two or three hobgoblins in arena in the month or so that I've been playing. Not that I have the gems to buy them of course.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Just did an arena run to test. Common was level 15, rare and ultra-rare were level 10. Offered gem cost was 33 to buy all three. So there is an additional discount given if the troops are leveled all the way to 15. Balls.

Edit: very next run I got a Hobgoblin. I swear to God I can influence random number generators by bitching in public.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 27, 2015

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I finally got a hobgoblin after about a dozen one done arena attempts.

They were added to chests and arena maybe a month ago, but I had zero luck after maybe a couple hundred iron keys and several dozen magic keys.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Grundulum posted:

When was the last time anyone got a Hobgoblin or Goblin Rocketeer out of either a chest or Arena team? I have never seen either in all my time playing to date.
Rocketeer isn't available that way yet. According to this post it will not be in chests until at least January.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

That's my defensive team. What's your in game name? I'll check my revenge list. Unlikely, but it would be a funny coincidence.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Has the treasure hunt been rejiggered recently? I feel like lately green & red chests have skewed a lot more heavily towards souls/glory and away from gold/gems. At the very least my gem counts are increasingly inconsistent with a 25% chance out of a green chest.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Has the treasure hunt been rejiggered recently? I feel like lately green & red chests have skewed a lot more heavily towards souls/glory and away from gold/gems. At the very least my gem counts are increasingly inconsistent with a 25% chance out of a green chest.

It feels like it has. I've noticed more keys at least out of red chests.

notmetalenough
Feb 26, 2010
can I get a guild invite? invite code: NOTMETALENOUGH

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

notmetalenough posted:

can I get a guild invite? invite code: NOTMETALENOUGH

Invited to Gem Boiz.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Well I played Puzzle Quest a decent amount and that scratched a bizarre itch. Invite BUTT_5 if you get a chance.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
So if I have enough honor, should I buy the weapon? It sounds decent enough, I'd just like to be sure before I spend it all.

E: Okay, bought it.. Seems pretty crazy if you can get it charged. 4 Damage to all and 1 Magic for 16 Yellow/Brown? Seems pretty dumb actually.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 29, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pleads posted:

Well I played Puzzle Quest a decent amount and that scratched a bizarre itch. Invite BUTT_5 if you get a chance.

That invite code doesn't exist, it seems.

Edit: the Bear Totem is ridiculous. 5 damage, and increase magic by 1, which is boosted by green gems. Except the boost is to the magic gained, which means that all future damage is higher. All that for only 9 mana.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 29, 2015

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Always buy the honor rewards if you can afford them. It is worth getting multiples of particularly good troops as well.

Honor rolls in pretty fast if you can hit rank one in PVP every week. Getting all your kingdoms leveled up to at least mid-level gets you a lot of honor from tribute too.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I was getting ready to boot someone from Gem Blossums due to inactivity, but I noticed something strange. They're showing 58 days since last login and no trophies earned this week, but they are PVP rank 9. How do you go up in PVP rank without doing a battle that would reset the login counter?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Grundulum posted:

I was getting ready to boot someone from Gem Blossums due to inactivity, but I noticed something strange. They're showing 58 days since last login and no trophies earned this week, but they are PVP rank 9. How do you go up in PVP rank without doing a battle that would reset the login counter?

It keeps the last one you got, until you reset it (by logging in). That's why Monday mornings will have Rank 1s still even though its rolled over to a new event.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wuntvor posted:

So if I have enough honor, should I buy the weapon? It sounds decent enough, I'd just like to be sure before I spend it all.

E: Okay, bought it.. Seems pretty crazy if you can get it charged. 4 Damage to all and 1 Magic for 16 Yellow/Brown? Seems pretty dumb actually.

Well, it does get a bit stronger as your hero levels up and gains Magic; mine starts at 7 damage to all.

Also, the Magic boost is pretty nice when combined with the right units. For instance, Sunwalker gets pretty darn good once she starts boosting your guys' stats by, like, 15 per skill activation.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Invite code CRASHCAT looking for a home. Rolled a Rock Worm with my first key, heck yes

edit: got it, thanks

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 30, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I stumbled across this thread while looking to see if there were patch notes since Steam downloaded something larger than the usual weekly event update. They want to have the 1.08 patch out by mid-December or before Apple's holiday update deadline. This is also interesting:

quote:

We're planning some blogs & possibly a video before 1.0.8 comes out.

Because of the significant changes to keys, we want to make sure we give players the chance to either use them or hoard them, based on their preference.

When 1.0.8 hits we'll be doing a conversion from the old keys to the new keys... personally I think the conversion gives a slightly better result, particularly for long-time players, but we'll give you guys the info in advance to let you make up your own minds.
I guess I will start hoarding everything instead of using iron keys to get more duplicates.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

DaveWoo posted:

Well, it does get a bit stronger as your hero levels up and gains Magic; mine starts at 7 damage to all.

Also, the Magic boost is pretty nice when combined with the right units. For instance, Sunwalker gets pretty darn good once she starts boosting your guys' stats by, like, 15 per skill activation.
Sorry, I just used confusing words.. With dumb I actually meant something like "stupidly strong". But yeah it makes some combinations pretty interesting, like my Alchemist/Valkyrie combo that I mostly use to get more souls and gold from challenges. Too bad that gold gained seems to be capped at 116, unless I am overlooking something obvious. Still a lot of fun as it boosts the number of souls and gold received.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
This is pretty fun, although I don't have enough gold to play any modes right now. I tried out the PvP based on the OP's advice, but it matched me with someone way higher level and I got destroyed. Would appreciate a guild invite - code is TRETIAK.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr. Met posted:

This is pretty fun, although I don't have enough gold to play any modes right now. I tried out the PvP based on the OP's advice, but it matched me with someone way higher level and I got destroyed. Would appreciate a guild invite - code is TRETIAK.
Yeah, we need to fix that advice in the OP. Should be unlock and play arenas first, then do the rest when you have some good cards

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
I got a DS just for Puzzle Quest, and it's still the only DS game I've ever played (not that I ever completed the campaign before burning out on the grind... :unsmith: )

But now it's on my phone with more things to overthink! So uh, invite Kross_2 please :D

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mr. Met posted:

Would appreciate a guild invite - code is TRETIAK.

RubberBands Hurt posted:

But now it's on my phone with more things to overthink! So uh, invite Kross_2 please :D

Sent. Welcome to the club. :unsmigghh:

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

Grundulum posted:

Sent. Welcome to the club. :unsmigghh:

In, thanks!

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Getting so tired of Deep Borer with 3 Rock Worm teams. It's the only team I just close the game on and I have been seeing more and more of them lately.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Depends posted:

Getting so tired of Deep Borer with 3 Rock Worm teams. It's the only team I just close the game on and I have been seeing more and more of them lately.

On the ps4 version our bimonthly weapon is the skulldagger 12 brown 3 damage to top 2 boosted by skulls so my to go team has been 2 rock worms...a poo poo, warlock? The guys that make more skulls, and my hero. I've run into a surprising amount of under lvl 50 folk with lvl 15 legendaries and epics, so they kill me off before i poo poo brown and skulls everywhere, but I guess it's a good sign that people are spending money on it. Shoutout to our goon guild which has managed to stay around 45th place on the trophy board!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Depends posted:

It's because rockworms are still OP, particularly after the patch. It's fun using them for a while, but they still take a while to whittle down the enemy.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It's hilarious watching a team of rock worms do literally nothing as you collect all the brown mana, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Jibo posted:

It's hilarious watching a team of rock worms do literally nothing as you collect all the brown mana, though.

4 rock worms I can handle no problem unless they get a lucky match, only needing to deny 1 color isn't too bad. 3 worms with a deep borer I have yet to beat. I can't take all the brown, red, and blue gems. A couple red/blue matches and the brownsplosion starts and never ends.
If they weren't so tanky with the bonuses it wouldn't be as bad but the amount of extra hp they get is too much.