Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MF_James posted:

Druids were fine once POP hit and you got the good quick heal and the "complete" heal, I played one from kunark through some expansion like TDS TBS or TSS something like that, and main healed the whole way through without issue.

That wasn't my experience, but I'm glad that it was yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

How do necro pets compare to mage pets in terms of damage output?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Test update tonight. Details to come.

Update Notes

*** Highlights ***

- We are re-enabling True Box on Test for the upcoming Phinigel server. This means that only one client will be usable from each physical machine until our tests are done at which time we will disable this functionality. There is no current ETA of when this will be disabled.

*** Progression Server Raid Instancing ***

- The first iteration of instancing intended for the Phinigel server is now on Test. Please try these instances out and let us know what you discover. There are currently some issues with the Plane of Hate (NPCs spawning under the world) and the Plane of Air (NPCs spawning on zone up that should not). These are being fixed. To access these instances, seek out the Agent of Change in Lavastorm, Cauldron, Everfrost, Paineel, Feerrott, South Ro, and East Freeport. Each of these should send you to instances of raid zones you would find in nearby zones. For example, go to Everfrost to find the Agent of Change that will send you to an instance of Permafrost.
- Lockouts should be given for each "boss" killed. Also, a 2.5 day replay lockout will be given when the instance is given and increased by 4 days if the boss is killed.
- There will also be a "lockout" for the "basepop" in these instances given once one of those NPCs is killed. This lockout will prevent looting of those NPCs in instances obtained after the lockout is given.

From test patch notes just now. This will be the place to be for sure now, especially in a few years if you want to come and run through old world content and have a shot at getting some stuff for epics or shits and giggles.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Republicans posted:

How do necro pets compare to mage pets in terms of damage output?

In classic their dps is pretty equal but their tanking is worse. And necro bar is a lot more useful than mage spell bar, so necro having pet heal memmed is a bigger disadvantage.

On live, main pets are pretty much the same, except beastlords and mages have better pet burns I'm pretty sure.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 3, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

darkhand posted:

In classic their dps is pretty equal but their tanking is worse. And necro bar is a lot more useful than mage spell bar, so necro having pet heal memmed is a bigger disadvantage.

On live, main pets are pretty much the same, except beastlords and mages have better pet burns I'm pretty sure.

Both classes are good, but yeah the mage pet tanks better, you'll end up kiting with the necro pet a bit. Necros are generally better from what i recall outside of soloing too, although it's been a long time since I did the classic/kunark/velious kind of dance, but I remember velious mob HP went up a lot so necro dots were more effective.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Givin posted:

Test update tonight. Details to come.

Update Notes

*** Highlights ***

- We are re-enabling True Box on Test for the upcoming Phinigel server. This means that only one client will be usable from each physical machine until our tests are done at which time we will disable this functionality. There is no current ETA of when this will be disabled.

*** Progression Server Raid Instancing ***

- The first iteration of instancing intended for the Phinigel server is now on Test. Please try these instances out and let us know what you discover. There are currently some issues with the Plane of Hate (NPCs spawning under the world) and the Plane of Air (NPCs spawning on zone up that should not). These are being fixed. To access these instances, seek out the Agent of Change in Lavastorm, Cauldron, Everfrost, Paineel, Feerrott, South Ro, and East Freeport. Each of these should send you to instances of raid zones you would find in nearby zones. For example, go to Everfrost to find the Agent of Change that will send you to an instance of Permafrost.
- Lockouts should be given for each "boss" killed. Also, a 2.5 day replay lockout will be given when the instance is given and increased by 4 days if the boss is killed.
- There will also be a "lockout" for the "basepop" in these instances given once one of those NPCs is killed. This lockout will prevent looting of those NPCs in instances obtained after the lockout is given.

From test patch notes just now. This will be the place to be for sure now, especially in a few years if you want to come and run through old world content and have a shot at getting some stuff for epics or shits and giggles.

These TLP related patch notes are just as big as the recent patch notes for the just released, horribly broken expansion.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
"There will also be a "lockout" for the "basepop" in these instances given once one of those NPCs is killed. This lockout will prevent looting of those NPCs in instances obtained after the lockout is given."

Anyone able to decipher this ?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Baconroll posted:

"There will also be a "lockout" for the "basepop" in these instances given once one of those NPCs is killed. This lockout will prevent looting of those NPCs in instances obtained after the lockout is given."

Seems like they prevent others from entering the instance and looting corpses after the mobs have been killed? It's pretty vague though, so I'm not positive.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
^^^This sounds like it too, prevent people from splitting up your guild into 10 different instances of the same zone and then funneling no drop gear to specific people after they zone in to come loot it.

Loot lockout for named mobs that spawn in raid zones, like the named in Kedge or SolB?

I guess to prevent you from clearing the zone (or zoning in and checking for named with track) then requesting a new instance in order to force a re-pop, thus giving you another chance for named spawns?

suuma fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 3, 2015

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Or to stop a guild from farming hate/fear trash and gearing up insanely quickly.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Stanos posted:

Or to stop a guild from farming hate/fear trash and gearing up insanely quickly.

This is how I read it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It already said there's a 2.5 day lockout when given an instance though. Isn't that what's stopping a guild from farming? I think the second part is referring to something else.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I took it as you receive a lockout to a mob and can't get look off it until your lock expires if somehow you do get to fight it for whatever reason. I don't know. It could mean any one of a billion things.

:soe:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

We need a Daybreak Gaming version of this. Oh wait, we already have one. :goatsecx:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Full FAQ up:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/true-box-progression-server-faq.228779/

Buy the bags! Give us money!

Also the people spergin about 12 vs 13 weeks for unlocks is hilarious so far.

Remind me to not start in Freeport too, thanks. That zone is Bad.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Baconroll posted:

This might finally be their solution to instance cascading.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Stanos posted:

Full FAQ up:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/true-box-progression-server-faq.228779/

Buy the bags! Give us money!

Also the people spergin about 12 vs 13 weeks for unlocks is hilarious so far.

Remind me to not start in Freeport too, thanks. That zone is Bad.

I would seriously pay an expansion price if they just let us zone back into old Freeport, knowing that any quest made after the revamp won't work there.

Seriously. I miss Real Freeport.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If you don't start in gfay

U r a gay

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If you don't start in gfay

U r a gay

Straight from East Freeport.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress. Reading that FAQ actually made me want to play this poo poo game again. How many people are planning on playing? I only have one computer so I will be single boxing as :soe:, I mean... Daybreak intended.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

gently caress. Reading that FAQ actually made me want to play this poo poo game again. How many people are planning on playing? I only have one computer so I will be single boxing as :soe:, I mean... Daybreak intended.

It's looking like Phinny is shaping up to be a really popular server choice for people. They've already mentioned load balancing and possibly opening a second server if it gets overwhelmed.

For my own perspective, touching base with my old guildmates from Fippy, we've got like 160 people that have registered for Phinny with us, and at least half are committing to one or more box alts.

I bought 90 days of game time for this launch, sight unseen when they had the special pricing on Monday and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone in for a full year.

I'm legit excited, wonderful fuckups and all.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

RCarr posted:

I'll be there as a single-box Enchanter.

I'm also interested in joining a guild, so if anyone is in one that's open please let me know.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
With the current buff to raid mobs staying and the new debuff to pets on raid mobs, what will happen when these guilds are unable to use the pet walling tactic?

From what I could decipher on the forums, there were some legit bosses that did way too much damage for tanks to handle. Is this actually the case, or is it just laziness on the guilds part to find an actual tactic with a real tank?

Also, I had misread the part about Nagafen not being instanced and only being up regularly instead. The correction, that I originally failed to comprehend, is Nagafen will be up both in the instance and regularly. That makes me happy, and I might actually start a new character on this server.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I mean you could set up 1-sec (or less) CHeal chains with like 30 clerics but it sounds like the raid instances actually have a 72 player cap now, which wasn't present in Vanilla at all.

There's also the long game: Since raid bosses don't have to be killed in-era for the server to progress, just wait 3 months, level up, then go back and do them like the non-bleeding edge guilds did on Live. The fact that raids are instanced and expansion locks are all 90 days might not remove a lot of the dumb SERVER FIRST!!! uber guild poo poo but will allow guilds to actually kill things on their own schedules.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

For those who played on the first TLP servers, can you compare the leveling to P99?

e: I really only care about the expansions that aren't on P99, but I want to be level cap so that when they release I can participate. PoP DoDH Prophecys of Ro. Basically all the expansions that I never got to play.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 4, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

boho posted:

I'll be there as a single-box Enchanter.

I'm also interested in joining a guild, so if anyone is in one that's open please let me know.

If I play I would love to get in a guild with some goons. I'm interested in this as well.

Not sure about which class I will play. I've done Shaman, Enchanter, & Monk from scratch in the past. Plus messing around with Mages/Wizards in box crews. I kind of want to play a Cleric, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy playing a strictly healer class. Maybe I'll try a bard.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Bahanahab posted:

With the current buff to raid mobs staying and the new debuff to pets on raid mobs, what will happen when these guilds are unable to use the pet walling tactic?

From what I could decipher on the forums, there were some legit bosses that did way too much damage for tanks to handle. Is this actually the case, or is it just laziness on the guilds part to find an actual tactic with a real tank?

Also, I had misread the part about Nagafen not being instanced and only being up regularly instead. The correction, that I originally failed to comprehend, is Nagafen will be up both in the instance and regularly. That makes me happy, and I might actually start a new character on this server.

Pet walling still works just fine. It's just slower.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Its probably worth avoiding a 2nd server if they spin up another due to the number of players. They seem to wither a lot quicker.

With the instancing a very busy server is much more preferable in my opinion.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

RCarr posted:

I kind of want to play a Cleric, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy playing a strictly healer class. Maybe I'll try a bard.

I played a bard in classic... they were very rare and very valued, and at one point I was one of only about 8-10 max-level Epic'd bards on my server and the only one not in a major guild, but I don't think that I could go back to song twisting as we used to. I'm thinking of trying this for a bit over winter break, and I'm leaning towards cleric because they are incredibly valuable in classic EQ or enchanter because they were also very valued and I played one on Live to 105 and it was a ton of fun even if CC isn't very important anymore.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I didn't even think about twisting. Is /melody going to be disabled until whatever expansion it came with?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

RCarr posted:

I didn't even think about twisting. Is /melody going to be disabled until whatever expansion it came with?

oh god, the carpal tunnel.

:negative:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RCarr posted:

If you're not twisting Cassindra's Chant of Clarity with itself on cooldown since for some reason each cast gave the mana back in the day, then you're a bad bard. That's double the mana regen! 4 per tick instead of 2!

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
I think /melody counts as one of the base systems that doesn't require items in order to use (like fellowships), so it should? be there from the beginning.

I hate to say it but with the Overwatch beta being offlined until late January, I'm tempted to give this a go with a Warrior, Ranger, Shaman trio with a few laptops I have sitting around.

I also wonder if this will outright kill Ragefire/Lockjaw.

Edit:

Devor posted:

If you're not twisting Cassindra's Chant of Clarity with itself on cooldown since for some reason each cast gave the mana back in the day, then you're a bad bard. That's double the mana regen! 4 per tick instead of 2!

I thought they changed that to be a buff like all other mana songs that just increased your mana regen by 2 instead.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE

lemonslol posted:

For those who played on the first TLP servers, can you compare the leveling to P99?

e: I really only care about the expansions that aren't on P99, but I want to be level cap so that when they release I can participate. PoP DoDH Prophecys of Ro. Basically all the expansions that I never got to play.

It's significantly faster. I got to 34 on my SK in about 50 hours played and probably 1/3 of that was travel. You can easily hit 50 in a few weeks if you have a lot of playtime. 50-60 takes about as long as 1-50, so another few weeks to get to 60.

The curve is a little bit flatter so the first few levels feel very slow, but then it doesn't ramp up nearly as rapidly as P99 does. In the mid 30s in a good group you can get about a level every 1.5-2 hours.

With boxes harder to do and more instancing I think this server will be really good. I'm hoping single groups can make instances of Sol B, PoH etc and take down non-raid targets once a week. Would make epics a lot easier for sure.

e: It looks like a full group can create an instance of raid zones (so for classic, the planes, Sol B, Permafrost, Kedge keep) with a 2.5 day lockout. The 6 day lockout only applies if raid targets are downed. So I guess this means every 2.5 days you can get your friends together and get a private instance of those zones and roll the dice on getting some drops from nameds. Pretty neat.

Dracneir fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 4, 2015

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Has there ever been a list of dates that each server has awoken the sleeper from Velious? I've been trying to find one without luck.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does the instanced thing on the new server mean the Sleeper can be awoken multiple times?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah melody is in classic on tlp. Pretty sure each caster has a spell or 2 they aren't really supposed to have as well, and mana regen seems more substantial.

Also rangers are complete dogshit.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
On one hand I'm glad to have melody, on the other actually having to mez/lull/etc on pulls makes it a lot more annoying to use.

Although I'm not sure how much pulling bards will do considering monks are pretty overpowered (for melee) so there's gonna be a lot of them.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

darkhand posted:

Also rangers are complete dogshit.

Really? poo poo. Viridi was tearing up the charts in Convorteum and HoT T1/2/3, was hoping it wasn't so bad at lower levels.

Not sure what I should use for my 'dps' slot if I'm three boxing then.

Edit: I suppose I could do something comical like warrior shaman bard and just recruit dps all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Rangers are pretty bad til you get all of the Archery AA (so Luclin or maybe even PoP) and then go back to full time melee at least through Gates of Discord iirc.