Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nomex posted:

Jesus 250k kms and it's a 2013!
That looks in great condition for an ex cop car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Trashcan was one out of control spending decision after another. When the money was flowing in.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Powershift do you have the ability to see if this car was previously at one of the auctions ?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1117268115

Wondering what they picked it up for.

Also, anyone in the Edmonton area I could slip a few bucks to, to go check out the condition and take some pictures ? I'll pay $40. I would want pictures of all the blemishes as well as a 20 minute road test.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not without a vin, i went to their "website" and noticed a familiar logo.

http://easymotors.ca/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/still-buyer-beware-when-buying-a-used-car-consumer-says-1.2602720
http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business-reviews/auto-dealers-used-cars/peace-motor-in-edmonton-ab-161617#govtaction
http://www.amvic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/09-18-1366675-Alberta-Ltd.-dba-Peace-Motor.pdf

And you're not going to believe this, but they have the same address and phone number. :allears:

Maybe they got tired of people googling their name and finding all the shady poo poo they did. maybe they lost their amvic number and they're selling stuff illegally now. either way, run the gently caress away.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Not without a vin, i went to their "website" and noticed a familiar logo.

http://easymotors.ca/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/still-buyer-beware-when-buying-a-used-car-consumer-says-1.2602720
http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business-reviews/auto-dealers-used-cars/peace-motor-in-edmonton-ab-161617#govtaction
http://www.amvic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/09-18-1366675-Alberta-Ltd.-dba-Peace-Motor.pdf

And you're not going to believe this, but they have the same address and phone number. :allears:

Maybe they got tired of people googling their name and finding all the shady poo poo they did. maybe they lost their amvic number and they're selling stuff illegally now. either way, run the gently caress away.

Thanks, came back to say nevermind because I checked the google reviews

https://www.google.ca/search?q=easy...sm=122&ie=UTF-8

First half are obviously fake positive feedback, then the real reviews hit

Edit: Update the reviews with your links. gently caress these guys and thanks for saving me a 10 hour round trip.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 1, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You know it's a truly shifty auto business if even AMVIC rules against you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

You know it's a truly shifty auto business if even AMVIC rules against you.

I'm looking at getting an amvic license right now, and there are a whole bunch more questions and requirements than the last time i looked into it.

Really obvious poo poo that should have been asked for the last 20 years. It seems they have grown some teeth with the insane number of corner lot dealerships popping up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
South Deerfoot Suzuki/International Motor Cars is another one of the seedy dealerships that changed their name (on the sign, at least) to avoid negative interwebs opinions.

AMVIC is one of the targets in the class action suit against Treadz Auto, because they were negligent in the view of the class. They also showed up back in April because they had some seedy stuff going on in the newly-formed investigations department, which was created because back in 2013 they cleared house after a scandal regarding regulatory capture by dealership principals. Before the April 2015 scandal it was also revealed in March 2015 that the head of AMVIC had been appointed by MLA Manmeet Bhullar, a close personal friend.

quote:

When asked about the case in the Alberta Legislature Monday, [newly appointed NDP] Service Alberta Minister Deron Bilous said AMVIC would be reviewed as part of the new government's ongoing review of all the province's agencies, boards and commissions.

You better believe they're turning up the dial on what you need to open a dealership now.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 2, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My default is to assume they're all crooks. Does this make me a bad person? :ohdear:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Scotch posted:

My default is to assume they're all crooks. Does this make me a bad person? :ohdear:

No. Realestate agents and car salespersons are the worst scum of the western world. If a child ever goes missing and turns up dead in a field somewhere, just question the closest car salesman. If he/she isn't the killer, they sure as hell work with the monster.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks TekSavvy for telling me that you needed a tech on site for the install when you actually don't.

El Scotch posted:

I think those two jobs in particular favor compulsive liars for whatever reason. I bought my SVX from a car salesman who swore up and down the speakers and stereo were from Nakamichi. Nothing to gain from that since we already had a deal in place.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 3, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

Thanks TekSavvy for telling me that you needed a tech on site for the install when you actually don't.
To be fair, it's probably not Teksavvy insisting on that as much as it was Telus or Shaw.

quote:

I think those two jobs in particular favor compulsive liars for whatever reason. I bought my SVX from a car salesman who swore up and down the speakers and stereo were from Nakamichi. Nothing to gain from that since we already had a deal in place.
It's really too bad. When we bought our Legacy from the Subaru dealer, I traded in my 4Runner because the price they offered me was literally the same as the asking prices on Kijiji so I couldn't be bothered to sell it. The transaction with them in general was pretty good.

Anyhow, it sold within a week or so and I started to see it driving around town. Once I was on my bike and saw him in the parking lot I was in so I stopped to chat with him for a sec. He said "Oh, you're the insurance adjuster" and I said no, I"m not. He then said "Subaru told me that the PO was an insurance adjuster and wanted to get rid of it because your wife wanted a car because the 4Runner was hard to get into"
:what:
I am not an insurance adjuster and my wife is drat near as tall as me. Why would you weave some bizarro lie for literally nothing to gain. The real story was I was given a company Tacoma 4x4 which literally made the 4R redundant.

Real Estate agents have an aura of deserving those 3.5% commissions (or whatever the hell it is) on a home where their "work" is literally take mediocre 6-10 photos, put on MLS and wait for another buyers agent to show it. Which is too bad, because the ones I've dealt with are generally pretty nice but seem to think they really earned that $15K.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I used to work at a server farm, and for awhile we were also doing basic web support for this service which built websites for real estate agents.

1) they cannot not mention they're real estate agents in any conversation.

2) its not a very hard course to get your license, but they seem to think they're these Harvard grads who are movers and shakers.

It's really bad in Vancouver. They're closing on million dollar homes, but every home is a million dollar home, and they act and want everyone to think they're the wallstreet brokers of BC.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I dislike Uber as much as the next guy, but if there ever was an industry in need of some not-entirely-legal disruption, it's real estate.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The real estate agent ads are absolutely hilarious. Using boogy man scare tactics to convince people they're worth it.

Yeah, those truck depots are just popping up in residential neighborhoods like daisies eh. And high rise condo's spread like wild fire blocking your magnificent lake views. :rolleyes:

They must feeling it pretty hard being replaced by the internet and commission free listing. They sound so desperate.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Anyhow, it sold within a week or so and I started to see it driving around town. Once I was on my bike and saw him in the parking lot I was in so I stopped to chat with him for a sec. He said "Oh, you're the insurance adjuster" and I said no, I"m not. He then said "Subaru told me that the PO was an insurance adjuster and wanted to get rid of it because your wife wanted a car because the 4Runner was hard to get into"

Salesmen are professional liars, no matter what they're selling. Pretty sure his approach here was that insurance adjuster sounds like a "safe" PO, you don't tend to think insurance adjusters would be very exciting people so you some they're less likely to abuse it or go off road. Selling because of his wife implies it was well maintained and would have been kept if not for spousal issues. Gives the buyer something to relate to as almost everyone has had to give up something for someone else at one point.

It's a bunch of psychological tricks to make it seem more desirable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

I dislike Uber as much as the next guy, but if there ever was an industry in need of some not-entirely-legal disruption, it's real estate.

The government needs to hold a gun to the head of MLS until they produce a decent public API.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So shockingly I didn't have internet in my home. Going to blame Shaw for this one since it looks like they do this all when they disconnect their service.

MrChips posted:

The issue is if you're going it alone you're likely going to be dealing with a Realtor who just got an erection at the thought of keeping all the commission to himself.

Seriously how much does it cost to take the exam? I'm thinking it's probably less hassle to get licensed, do everything yourself then get a slice of the commission.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously how much does it cost to take the exam? I'm thinking it's probably less hassle to get licensed, do everything yourself then get a slice of the commission.

Quoting for Manitoba, but a friend did it. Its a few grand to get "certified", then your license is a yearly fee of a few grand as well. Its a scam the whole way down. But, with that being said, I've had great luck with realtors, so ymmv. I've only bought 2 houses and sold 1 though, so its been limited.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

So shockingly I didn't have internet in my home. Going to blame Shaw for this one since it looks like they do this all when they disconnect their service.

Called it.

Tell the CRTC. Your keywords are "anticompetitive action."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Called it.

Tell the CRTC. Your keywords are "anticompetitive action."

Yeah if I don't hear back from Teksavvy by noon I'm starting the whole CRTC thing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The government needs to hold a gun to the head of MLS until they produce a decent public API.

That will never happen considering the real estate industry is like the #1 contributor to political candidates.

1500quidporsche posted:

All that separates you from being a real-estate age- err, sorry, a REALTORŪ, is about $6600.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Crisis averted for now. Apparently I don't understand technology at all since factory resetting my router made it work. No clue why connecting the modem directly to my PC gave no internet this morning.

MrChips posted:

All that separates you from being a real-estate age- err, sorry, a REALTORŪ, is about $6600.

Not going to lie I'm aiming to move next summer and if I wasn't going to get hosed on taxes from the commission it'd probably pay itself off.

Having experience with group insurance brokers who pull in $200k in commissions a year but can't be bothered to turn their loving cap locks off when sending in RFPs I'm absolutely convinced its possible to just bullshit your way through your own real estate deal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Insurance salesman and Financial "advisors" are just as much in the mix of shifty professions and I would rate about as highly as used car salesman. At least a real estate agent isn't as likely to be getting all expenses paid vacations from lovely mutual fund d'jour and making massive commissions in addition to yearly maintenance fees even if your life savings is going in the toilet. Thankfully that industry IS changing and becoming more competitive due to the Internet and online brokerages and sharing of knowledge that it isn't voodoo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Without getting into it too much I would say, having to deal with them on a day to day basis, insurance and financial advisors are the absolute bottom of the barrel scum of the earth.

I'd like to say it is getting better but it isn't, at least on the group insurance side of things. If anything the internet is making it worse because its lowering the barrier to entry to the point where anybody can door knock, promise 15% off whatever they're currently paying then shoot off an email to 8 different insurers and let them fight among themselves to get the lowest rate possible. I'm a handshake is a deal kind of a guy and I get hosed over by these assholes atleast two to three times a month because I'll say we can do something as a favor off the record and they'll distort that into something entirely different then get the account manager to email my manager over it. They're all sleazy as hell with zero hard skills, hell 90% of them don't even know how this business works and they're the ones driving everything.

Its funny when I first got into this role I figured I should try and get into an Account Management position but being exposed to them day in and day out made me realize these guys are burnouts and unemployable anywhere else and need to keep up a lifestyle/possible drug habit so they're stuck in these positions where they work stupid hours, bend over rear end backwards for these lovely advisors and grab whatever garbage gets sent in for a quote. The only guy who's normal never meets his sales targets, has about 3 good advisors who send him good business, does his 8 hours in the office, turns off his phone/email and goes home.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

It's weird because Real Estate agents hate MLS just as much as consumers. Everyone everywhere hates this loving service and yet because Canada it's somehow unchallenged except maybe by Comfree.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

1500quidporsche posted:

Crisis averted for now. Apparently I don't understand technology at all since factory resetting my router made it work. No clue why connecting the modem directly to my PC gave no internet this morning.

Huh. That's pretty similar to my setup with Teksavvy - hard reset of the router and everything was happy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Most modems will lock to the mac address of the first device they connect to, requiring a reboot to connect them to a new device.

Now sanity would dictate loss of network link resetting the ARP "table", but no.....that would be too much like a well engineered product.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thinking of shipping a vehicle from Ontario to Calgary. Windsor Ontario to Calgary ? 1900 bux. Toronto to Calgary ? 850.

Toronto has the terminals for MVS and LHF carrier companies. Is there another service I could look up ?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My cousin lives just outside of Windsor, I visited last weekend (i.e. 8 days ago) to check out a car in Windsor for a friend of mine who lives in Saskatoon. It was a Volvo V70R 6-speed, in lovely shape, but my friend decided to pass for reasons that have more to do with his mother than with the car.

If the car is road-worthy and road-legal I'd be happy to help you get it from Windsor to a cheaper terminal. I'm in Waterloo, ON, about 3.5 hours from Windsor.

\/\/\/ a service I can provide if requested, schedule permitting.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 8, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Word of advice in case you are buying a car sight unseen from Ontario, get photos of underneath it. I've seen 3 year old Ontario cars with more rust than a 25 year old Alberta car, no joke.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

slidebite posted:

Word of advice in case you are buying a car sight unseen from Ontario, get photos of underneath it. I've seen 3 year old Ontario cars with more rust than a 25 year old Alberta car, no joke.

Yes sweet gods this. You guys think you know salt, but you know nothing. Its loving stupid in this gods-forsaken lovely excuse of a province. They salt BARE loving PAVEMENT. When its +11 out. And we haven't had snow in a week, and none in the forecast.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My uncle is a part-time snowplow driver for Milton, ON. I was talking to him last night and he explained that they salt only the intersections when it's above freezing. It's a pre-emptive thing, the intersections are obviously the most important places to keep ice-free if the temperature *might* drop overnight.

Of course, that tiny bit of restraint on the salt-slathering doesn't make one bit of difference to the overall rust-in-front-of-your-eyes effect of driving on Ontario roads.

That Volvo I checked out for my friend was immaculate except for the trailer plug, which was a green blob (the seller claims to have never pulled a trailer in ~3 years of ownership) and one of the pinch welds near the back-right wheel, which was clearly starting to get grotty. I can only assume he washes that thing religiously, because he said he drives it in winter.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

My uncle is a part-time snowplow driver for Milton, ON. I was talking to him last night and he explained that they salt only the intersections when it's above freezing. It's a pre-emptive thing, the intersections are obviously the most important places to keep ice-free if the temperature *might* drop overnight.

And if they did it when there was any chance of it mattering, I'd be slightly less annoyed. But nope, contractors out on the weekend, in stupidly-nice weather, salting every street.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My folks are getting up there and stepdad had hip replacement surgery so he didn't quite feel up to clambering up a ladder to hang his lights, so he got some of those moving display lights to shine on the house as an easy way to decorate this year.

Yeah, it might be a bit gawdy but they like lighting up their house so it makes them happy.

Well, it isn't gawdy anymore because some thieving gently caress in St. Albert stole their lights last night. :mad:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"let's put a $200 party light unattended on our front lawn OH poo poo IT GOT STOLEN"

~everybody who bought one of those shits this year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

"let's put a $200 party light unattended on our front lawn OH poo poo IT GOT STOLEN"

~everybody who bought one of those shits this year.

$19.99 Walmart light is hardly a $200 light party, but garden stuff that are actually worth something are never taken, but something plugged in? loving gone in 2 days. Like, the extension cords are worth 2x as much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well that's not bad, i guess. the laser ones are $180-220 at canadian tire and thieves seem to loooooooove them.

I would imagine if they're actually laser, there are going to be a ton of potheads going blind over christmas in their amateur basement raves.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I guess it's not surprising that thieves by definition are going to be opportunistic, but it's still just disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Vehicle road test in Linden AB, tonight. I'll PayPal you $

Anyone up for it ? It's a 2008 awd CTS