Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Trundel posted:

Does anyone have a good explanation of how Estate's function?

If one is loyal, it gives you empire-wide bonuses (cheaper dev costs, better tax mod, etc). If it is instead disloyal (below 30) it gives you empire-wide penalties and will periodically revolt (rebels and bad stuff). If one has an influence 80 or higher, a disaster clock will begin and it will eventually launch a coup.

You can reduce their loyalty / raise their influence through a set of fixed, controllable decisions to gain one-shot bonuses (a dose of monarch points, or a cheap advisor of a fixed type, for example), which recharge every ten or twenty years. But this is of course dangerous (see above).

Alternatively, giving them land (by assigning a province to one of the estates) raises both the loyalty and influence of its new controller. In exchange, the province gets a permanent autonomy minimum of 25 and a bonus (e.g. assigning the nobility a province adds to that province's manpower).

Finally, random events modify loyalty and influence as well.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Epinephrine posted:

Haven't had a chance to play since update, but isn't that a good thing (for Castille)? Subjects making colonies for you, and all.

It's actually a net nerf because they are different colored and it ruins your mapgame symmetry.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Sorced posted:

Thats how its supposed to work now.

Thanks for the heads up. Rough on me for having zero forts.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xotl posted:

Alternatively, giving them land (by assigning a province to one of the estates) raises both its loyalty and influence. In exchange, the province gets a permanent autonomy minimum of 25.

It should also be noted that giving a province to an estate also gives it a bonus, like giving the nobility a province adds to that province's manpower.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pakled posted:

It should also be noted that giving a province to an estate also gives it a bonus, like giving the nobility a province adds to that province's manpower.

As I recall it's pretty worthwhile to give all your important fort-provinces (that you don't mind the autonomy in) to the nobles/kshatriyas/whatever. They give a sizable fort defense bonus.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As I recall it's pretty worthwhile to give all your important fort-provinces (that you don't mind the autonomy in) to the nobles/kshatriyas/whatever. They give a sizable fort defense bonus.

Haven't seen that but merchants/burghers/whatever faction gives a hefty trade power bonus though they can be greedy assholes when you JUST FUCKIN DON'T HAVE 10-DEV PROVINCES gawd.

Influence is really hard to reduce so be loving careful pushing it close to 80. Events can shift it the various coup disasters are all pretty nasty.

Edit: like it's probably better to have a disloyal low-influence faction than a loyal 80+ influence disaster zone faction

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They should make some of the estate interactions be able to drop influence, because it's way too easy to edge on 80.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

As poland, I am at war with the Livonians. I am sieging Goldingen.

Suddenly, Danish Pretender Rebels teleport from... somewhere. Into Goldingen, in the Livonian order. There is no relation between any of us and Denmark. That was odd.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sorced posted:

Thats how its supposed to work now.

Something tells me it probably shouldn't work that way though. Here I moved to Zhangye to reinforce Uzbek (who were stack wiped before I could arrive), but now cannot retreat from this fort, at all. That makes little sense.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I just wanted to say, I'm glad you still have that avatar.

I need to go reread that thread.

Like gently caress I'm spending money to replace it. Besides, it's a nice reminder to improve my rapping ability

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Whoever said there was no new comet option was wrong. Forget all the bugs, DLC redeemed.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Colonial expansion is probably the best event ever for gaining two hundred settlers for very little change.

I have had it happen at least twice on all my colonies on my shady ideas guy run in the random new world. The new native focus also does not seem to work, least if your on the new world, as I have set it to oppress the native, and have yet to see any attacks

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 3, 2015

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Who the hell is this guy?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

This Mongolia game is fun as hell. Ming is a thundering juggernaut, but having learned my lesson from the last war, I'm hoping I can bait their stacks in and wipe them out on my turf should they attack again. The hordes around me are next to useless; I'm just hoping Buryatia is going to fall to internal strife soon. I don't know how their Horde unity isn't zero, seeing as they haven't attacked anyone all game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

Something tells me it probably shouldn't work that way though. Here I moved to Zhangye to reinforce Uzbek (who were stack wiped before I could arrive), but now cannot retreat from this fort, at all. That makes little sense.

That's WAD I think, they mentioned it in one of the dev streams. Personally I think it's stupid design is all. I never understood the complaints about the old system, I thought it was pretty intuitive and way better than this one; the only issue was forts not overlapping ZoCs but surely they could've fixed that without redoing the entire drat thing.
poo poo like this especially:

Xotl posted:

I built the great mountain chain of Level 8 forts two deep across the mountains of northern Italy--all garrisoned--and Austria and all its allies are walking across them like they're escalators with armies of any size they please.
just makes me sad.

Pellisworth posted:

Haven't seen that but merchants/burghers/whatever faction gives a hefty trade power bonus though they can be greedy assholes when you JUST FUCKIN DON'T HAVE 10-DEV PROVINCES gawd.

Influence is really hard to reduce so be loving careful pushing it close to 80. Events can shift it the various coup disasters are all pretty nasty.

Edit: like it's probably better to have a disloyal low-influence faction than a loyal 80+ influence disaster zone faction

Clergy give unrest and missionary strength too, the province bonuses are all really worthwhile. It's important to remember though, even more dangerous than the global effects, when you get low loyalty you get +8 unrest to all that estate's owned provinces.

Also I really haven't had a problem staying close to 80 yet. I might be eating my words when I hit my first coup, but it takes a long damned time for that disaster to actually tick up. Being just a few points over 80 usually isn't a problem, you're pretty sure to get an event that jumps it down.

e: unrelatedly, Paradox has simultaneously gotten me to care a huge amount about score and introduced a whole mechanic based around score but put them each in separate parts of the game. I hope a multiplayer leaderboard is in the cards soon. The singleplayer one has gotten me feeling real self conscious about how someone managed to get the same score as me in about half the time though :argh:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 3, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

PittTheElder posted:

This Mongolia game is fun as hell. Ming is a thundering juggernaut, but having learned my lesson from the last war, I'm hoping I can bait their stacks in and wipe them out on my turf should they attack again. The hordes around me are next to useless; I'm just hoping Buryatia is going to fall to internal strife soon. I don't know how their Horde unity isn't zero, seeing as they haven't attacked anyone all game.

The Buryatians aren't a horde, they're a Siberian clan like the Kamchatkans (only they can't migrate because they have more than one province, obv)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

So is the permanent regency council bug just another hardware configuration Paradox couldn't possibly be expected to support? :v:

Real talk how is the Estates system functioning? That is probably the feature I'm most excited about.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Dikkfor posted:

Who the hell is this guy?

I can't help but think that this guy is like Wallenstein, except he's obsessed with big halls for some strange reason.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Performance on my laptop seems to have been hit pretty hard, anybody else having issues?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

That's WAD I think, they mentioned it in one of the dev streams. Personally I think it's stupid design is all. I never understood the complaints about the old system, I thought it was pretty intuitive and way better than this one; the only issue was forts not overlapping ZoCs but surely they could've fixed that without redoing the entire drat thing.
poo poo like this especially:

Well I'm definitely in the camp that thought the old system had serious issues. Especially because forts exerted no ZOC outside their own borders, it was really easy to use military access to shortcut fort lines entirely. Overall I like this new system a lot more, I just think they need to add an exception that will always allow you to retreat back along whatever route you came in (assuming it hasn't been cut off by a recaptured fort in the meantime).

Allyn posted:

The Buryatians aren't a horde, they're a Siberian clan like the Kamchatkans (only they can't migrate because they have more than one province, obv)

Well that makes a lot of sense. Should make them a lot easier to take down too. They've already developed their provinces up to absurd levels, so I cannot wait to take the gold mine and burn the rest.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Wait why did the nobility suddenly control one of my recently taken land? I took Skåne from Denmark and suddenly the Nobility had control over it which was very bad because it pushed their influence over 80. Is this something that can happen automatically? Or is it because I raised autonomy in the province?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hryme posted:

Wait why did the nobility suddenly control one of my recently taken land? I took Skåne from Denmark and suddenly the Nobility had control over it which was very bad because it pushed their influence over 80. Is this something that can happen automatically? Or is it because I raised autonomy in the province?

It's because if the enemy has the same estates as you, they will maintain control over a province. So it came that way.

Also, Austria and the Ottomans ally each other every time they aren't rivalled at the start, now.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Ok thank you. I need to watch out for that

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So are the various new bugs just for people trying out the new DLC, or am I gonna have a bad time trying this game out for the first time in the next couple of days?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Actually I don't like that at all. Makes it very hard to juggle the influence and loyalty of your estates.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

So are the various new bugs just for people trying out the new DLC, or am I gonna have a bad time trying this game out for the first time in the next couple of days?

Estates require the DLC, the fort stuff effects everyone. But these are not game breaking issues, you'll be as fine as you would at any time (not fine).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hryme posted:

Ok thank you. I need to watch out for that

I'm hoping it's a bug.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's not. they've talked about it on the forums. It's only for when you conquer provinces of your religion though, it's like in CK2 with you inheriting the old system. It makes a lot of sense honestly and when we get more used to it it'll be pretty easy to watch out for; just click the provinces ahead of time and you can see the estates on them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Has anyone found that getting caught fabricating a claim postpones the completion date for fabrication by one day every day? So it can never finish? I've had this across multiple games, v. weird

e: Oh actually it's just most days so it slows it down enormously. Was this in the patch notes?

Allyn fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 3, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Koramei posted:

It's not. they've talked about it on the forums. It's only for when you conquer provinces of your religion though, it's like in CK2 with you inheriting the old system. It makes a lot of sense honestly and when we get more used to it it'll be pretty easy to watch out for; just click the provinces ahead of time and you can see the estates on them.

Does it tell you how much it will increase your estates influence by when you conquer it? I don't want to have to manually add up the development of all the land I have given to each estate and spreadsheet whether or not it will push me over 80% influence.

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Does reloading the game unconfuse them?

GreyPowerVan posted:

reloading might help

Forgot to mention that reloading does not help.

I did figure out a workaround though - move an army of your own into one of the provinces they're stuck in of and enable "Attach to this army", and they'll start following it around. (I tried the same yesterday but without moving the army into one of the provinces, just had it standing next to one :downs:)

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

GlitchThief posted:

Dude I just started playing a few days ago and after a bunch of trial and error I'm at least not overtly loving things up and exploding my empire (I'm probably slowly setting the stage for my empire to implode). I think I'm starting to get a handle on the mechanics and holy gently caress this game is good. :getin: asap.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Allyn posted:

Has anyone found that getting caught fabricating a claim postpones the completion date for fabrication by one day every day? So it can never finish? I've had this across multiple games, v. weird

e: Oh actually it's just most days so it slows it down enormously. Was this in the patch notes?

Yeah, it is working as intended. I think it's three times slower or something like that.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Welp, 40 years into my idea man run I notice the achievements button is greyed out. I mouse over and it tells me that I'm supposed to be playing as Japan.

At least I was able to save my ideas :unsmith:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

It's dumb, I conquered that place, I killed the local clergy/burghers whatever and I will impose MY new system on that province.

Overall I am not a fan of the estate system, maybe I am bad at math but it doesn't really seem nice. At this point I am considering turning of the expansion because estates just feel so poo poo. Woohoo I get some lower revolt risk and missionary strength but I lose 25% of my production and tax income and 25% manpower? So not loving worth it. Same with the tax increasing faction, I have to suffer huge income losses on on production on 20% of my development for them to give me 10% useless tax increase?

25% Autonomy is just too much, not to mention there's no proper ways to control all of the estates to keep them in check, you rely on random events. It just feels like I am being punished for a small benefit that I can game now and then. This has been worst in my Burgundy game and I am gonna try turn into a Republic asap so I can see if that gets rid of estates.

Anyone who likes the system feel like doing some explaining on how you use the estate actions and how you pass out land, and why you think you have a net gain from the system?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I haven't dug super deep into it yet, but after ~150 years with estates playing as a fairly large nation I'm liking them. People who have experimented and done the math properly can go into more detail but so far I haven't had any trouble keeping all 3 estates happy by just constantly giving them only enough land to hit the minimum 10/10/20 cutoff. Merchants get every trade port and 10+ dev province if they need it for the minimum (this is the hardest one usually because of the 10 dev/5 TP requirement), clergy are almost always given newly conquered lands so that they convert faster and rebel less, and military gets forts and other scraps just to get the manpower recovery bonus (if you want to min/max give them the highest manpower provinces, but :effort:).

The 25% autonomy seems harsh at first but it's really not that bad because it basically boils down to you exchanging money for much more useful things like trade power, missionary strength, and manpower. Also keep in mind that you can take provinces away from estates relatively painlessly once the year or whatever the time limit is up. Give a bunch of newly conquered land to the clergy, convert it all, redistribute it to the other estates. Getting a potential +4% missionary strength bonus (with the advisor) on any province is pretty huge in some cases, especially early game when you haven't hit admin 8 yet and haven't taken religious.

VDay fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 3, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

GreyPowerVan posted:

It's because if the enemy has the same estates as you, they will maintain control over a province. So it came that way.

Also, Austria and the Ottomans ally each other every time they aren't rivalled at the start, now.

That's the biggest Byz nerf since they lost half their cores

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

420 Gank Mid posted:

That's the biggest Byz nerf since they lost half their cores

The really annoying part of that change was that it doesnt stop Greek Separatism giving provinces to Byzantium, even though they aren't actually the primary culture of Greek

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

I just had my ally immediately rival me after we won a war and I gained a bunch of "favors". Cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
When supporting rebels in a country, what does the percentage next to the flag represent? I'm supporting Styrian rebels in Austria (who have revolted) and it says +40% but there's no tooltip.

• Locked thread