Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Kurzon posted:

Like, whenever do the people of Earth lose sleep over the abilities of Black Adam, a Superman-like villain who actually took over a nation? Where is America's anti Black Adam program?
There was one. They ended up killing his wife and brother-in-law and incited Adam into a massive global rampage.

Kurzon posted:

Or what about Martian Manhunter, a guy with Superman-like powers who can also read minds, shapeshift and walk through walls? Lex Luthor hates Superman not because of Superman's powers but because people love Superman more than him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4knWZ6yVs

You're right that people should and would be pretty frightened of Martian Manhunter if they knew about him though. The idea that the people of Earth trust Superman more than Manhunter because he looks more like them is something that J'onn himself brings up periodically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

BrianWilly posted:

There was one. They ended up killing his wife and brother-in-law and incited Adam into a massive global rampage.
Oh wow, I'm going to go find this comic.
The people of Earth either don't know MM exists or they don't know what he can do. Otherwise, every criminal headquarters or military installation would be put candles everywhere like how peasants warded of vampires with garlic.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

Superman terrifies the people who know what they would do with that kind of power the most.

Who know they could not be trusted and cannot trust others with it.

Funny that

The old adage: If you want to know how someone would fare with power, give them just a little of it.

It's not just the power that terrifies people, it's knowing that they would never be Superman given the power. Unlike mere mortals, Superman [ostensibly] does not crack under the pressure or fly off the handle and simply take the easy way out. His moral fortitude is stronger than his nigh-invulnerability.

^^^^

Case-in-point. Martian Manhunter is as equal a threat as Supes but he's even more "alien" than the Kryptonian. For whatever reason, J'onn is accepted as an alien and doesn't have the pretense of being human. Superman is "enough" like us that we've accepted him as our own. Thus, Lex competes with him and not the "alien," though both are legitimate outsiders. As for Lex desiring love from the masses, I've not gotten that vibe but he is an egomaniac and if not outright fearing him, he does want people to respect his ambition and intelligence. On any other world, he would be the alpha but Superman comes along and supplants Luthor using gifts and abilities Luthor can't ever have. Second-place for a perpetual champion is the most bitter pill of all, and through no lack on Lex's part. Lex's best is simply not good enough. It would be maddening for a guy like that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kurzon posted:

Or what about Martian Manhunter, a guy with Superman-like powers who can also read minds, shapeshift and walk through walls? Lex Luthor hates Superman not because of Superman's powers but because people love Superman more than him.

Lex should hate MM because he is a man and MM hunts man: https://youtu.be/0QKsvzw2fIw?t=53s

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wtf is up with this thread

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

FooF posted:

On any other world, he would be the alpha but Superman comes along and supplants Luthor using gifts and abilities Luthor can't ever have.
Martian Manhunter could LITERALLY supplant Luthor. MM can impersonate anybody. He is Mystique, Kitty Pryde, Professor X, Sue Storm, and Superman rolled into one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Remember when I said Doomsday was going to be in this movie?

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 3, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Remember when I said YAYAYAYA was going to be in this movie?

...what happened

What got revealed

Burkion fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 3, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

^I spoilered my post in case people want to be surprised.

Burkion posted:

...what happened

What got revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViIi3gie2c

:stare:

:gizz:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope they call him Bizzarro...that or he just keeps coming back and mutating further. That'd be cool.

So consider me all in on this one. Lex is loving fantastic, Supes and Bats are great, Wonder Woman is a class act, and the humor is actually on point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yep. Bruce Wayne's completely down the xenophobia path. Stuff like the clear loathing in his voice when he says "alien" and things like "He brought the war to us!" really emphasize it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay I was pretty sold by the time Lex finished his first sentence and really loving sold by that ending. Like, high-pitched squealing sold.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
That was not the trailer I was expecting to see. In a good way.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The tension between Cavill and Affleck during that party scene was amazing. Eisenberg chewing up the scenery like that to break their tension was not something I expected at all. His Lex is going to be amazing, lmao. I love how you can tell all three of them know each other's secrets and poo poo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Why did they decide to create two very different trailers, then just smash them together into one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Trailer 3 is fun, is insane

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Trailer was great, I just wish Wonder Woman would say something. Like anything at all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I like the slight growling that Batman has, shows that they recognize how silly the Bale Batman voice was.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I have tingles.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That trailer was a lot funnier than I expected it to be.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hooooly loving poo poo. And Bats got a gun!!!!

This movie is taking things in such a fantastic direction, It's not my Batman but I loving love it so far.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

That trailer was a lot funnier than I expected it to be.

I was going to make a joke about DC beating Marvel at the quip game, but it wasn't actually quipping. Both were entirely sincere and that's what is hilarious

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
It spoiled the whole movie but drat if it doesn't look fun.

Cavill and Affleck's exchange + Lex was quite good. They were both sizing each other up and Lex...he seems to know about both of them (identities, etc.)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, I liked almost everything except for the fact that the trailer revealed a little too much with Doomsday and how they team up. Granted, some of that's to be expected, but it would have been nice to leave more until release. In some ways the trailer seemed slapdash (the music and those awkward stutter-cuts in places), but I like what I see as far as most everything else goes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Can anyone make out what Lex says right after "Do you know what the greatest lie in the world is, Senator? That power can be--" something I can't make out after repeating it for three minutes straight.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

McSpanky posted:

Can anyone make out what Lex says right after "Do you know what the greatest lie in the world is, Senator? That power can be--" something I can't make out after repeating it for three minutes straight.

Innocent

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
So it's just the Avengers now, neat

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There are so many greatest lies in the world. Pick one and stick with it, Lex.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I though it was omniscient.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I wish the trailer didn't spoil the whole drat thing but wow, the more I watch this trailer the more I am really excited for this movie. The tension between Clark and Bruce at that party is incredible. I feel like Lex, Clark, and Bruce all size each other up pretty much perfectly from the outset in that scene and it just adds to the escalating tension of the situation. Great gag with Clark not even so much as blinking when Lex swats his chest. WW looks incredible too.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Imagine how nice it would have been if this stuff had come up during the movie.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

teagone posted:

I though it was omniscient.

Hm, could've been.

I'm pretty excited for this, but the trailer seems so tonally different from the first two it's crazy. I guess it's meant to show this universe has more levity than the last one (which could be a point in its favor), but it felt more like a TV spot that you'd see a week before release than a trailer trailer, if that makes sense.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
what are the things flying around when batman is in the desert? or is it all just part of the dream sequence?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Racial caricatures, in some readings.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The trailer makes Wonder Woman looked like she was shoehorned into the story.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
PG-13, for Intense Sequences of Violence and Action Throughout, and some sensuality.

Sensuality

SENSUALITY

I guess now we know what happens next in that tunnel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I will be 100% shocked if she wasn't. I mean based off the trailer (which could be misleading but whatevs) the first time she meaningfully interacts with the two of them is during the final loving battle.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I will be 100% shocked if she wasn't. I mean based off the trailer (which could be misleading but whatevs) the first time she meaningfully interacts with the two of them is during the final loving battle.

Unless her dance with Bruce happens at the VERY end of the movie I can't see that being possible

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kurzon posted:

Looked like? Of course she, is along with Aquaman that's supposed to appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Unless her dance with Bruce happens at the VERY end of the movie I can't see that being possible

I am assuming she appears in limited ways throughout the movie but is not actually presented as Wonder Woman until that scene and since both characters are like "Did she come with you?!" they're not actually aware until that point.

• Locked thread