Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The idea behind simple commons isn't that new players won't ever see stumpers, it's to limit the number they see per pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, it's not that ichor slick is literally impossible to figure out (although it is complicated by the final casting mode not actually being spelled out on the card), it's that it comes up fairly often in a set full of headscratchers across all rarities. You can open up a pack of timespiral and have to read most of the cards in the pack to understand what they actually do.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Niton posted:

Ichor Slick isn't actually that complex, either? Aside from the oddity of Madness exiling, Cycling and Madness interact exactly how you'd expect them to, and are actually a really cool combination of keywords.

Processing the two abilities, the thing the card actually does, the 4 possible mana costs, and the different effect you get from each mode is a lot of mental energy to spend on a single card. After all that you still need to put it all together and evaluate whether the card is good or not. Doing that 14 times seems exhausting. I agree the design is great though.

Angry Grimace posted:

This is the problem that entrenched players underestimate by far the most in my experience - you would not believe how much players learning the game hate having to read all the loving cards every single time to figure out what they do.

I never really understood the whole problem with complexity until someone I was drafting with said to me "do you ever just not play a card because it's got too many words and can't figure out what it does?". I asked what card it was and said I could probably explain it to them. She showed me Abbot of Keral Keep and I was like oh that card is a bomb you should definitely play it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Well done to any goon judges recognised in the new exemplar program wave.

I hope you all make good use of the foils instead of just selling them on, but it's entirely your right.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mehall posted:

I hope you all make good use of the foils instead of just selling them on, but it's entirely your right.

I got recognized :D
I also used one of my recognitions on a judge who I think is one of the most undervalued in my region. Wave 4 though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I would also like to point out that there's an extra part to flanking no-one has mentioned yet but which could plausibly come up in games. It seems like a pretty bad mechanic to not reminder.

I can see the problem, having to read and comprehend a bunch of weird mechanics every time you see a new pack could make it exhausting to draft (evaluating power levels can be hard enough even with simple cards). If there's just one complicated mechanic in a set (like Bestow or Awaken) then it might cause you some pause on your first pack but at least from then on you'll be fine.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

sarmhan posted:

Yea, it's not that ichor slick is literally impossible to figure out (although it is complicated by the final casting mode not actually being spelled out on the card), it's that it comes up fairly often in a set full of headscratchers across all rarities. You can open up a pack of timespiral and have to read most of the cards in the pack to understand what they actually do.

little munchkin posted:

Processing the two abilities, the thing the card actually does, the 4 possible mana costs, and the different effect you get from each mode is a lot of mental energy to spend on a single card. After all that you still need to put it all together and evaluate whether the card is good or not. Doing that 14 times seems exhausting. I agree the design is great though.

Yeah, that's fair - I grew up with both Madness and Cycling, so it really pops to me, but you definitely have to read it a couple of times to really "get" it if you've never seen it before. I still think Ichor Slick would be fine to reprint at common in the right set, though - it works exactly like you think it does, and that counts for a lot when dealing with complexity issues.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I would also like to point out that there's an extra part to flanking no-one has mentioned yet but which could plausibly come up in games. It seems like a pretty bad mechanic to not reminder.

I can see the problem, having to read and comprehend a bunch of weird mechanics every time you see a new pack could make it exhausting to draft (evaluating power levels can be hard enough even with simple cards). If there's just one complicated mechanic in a set (like Bestow or Awaken) then it might cause you some pause on your first pack but at least from then on you'll be fine.

Yeah, Flanking is absolutely nothing like Bushido, a similar-looking mechanic introduced two blocks earlier - Flanking only works while attacking, only works when the defending creature doesn't have flanking, and triggers once for each blocking creature. That's a really complex ability to not have reminder text.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 3, 2015

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Niton posted:

Yeah, that's fair - I grew up with both Madness and Cycling, so it really pops to me, but you definitely have to read it a couple of times to really "get" it if you've never seen it before. I still think Ichor Slick would be fine to reprint at common in the right set, though - it works exactly like you think it does, and that counts for a lot when dealing with complexity issues.
The problem is that it's going to be a big leap for newer players to get that cycling and madness interact with each other, so a lot of them won't see the fourth casting mode until it's explained to them. In general designers have said that difficult cards are often ones with alternate casting costs, with enough players just not checking for them until they were going to cast them anyway to be a problem.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I have generally found that the rules for games, especially reasonably complex games, seem unintuitive until I have learned them, at which point they become intuitive. Well, peace out.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think Ichor Slick could be a reasonable common--it's a touch on the complex side, but I'd say it's within the budget for common removal. Of course, that would require a set that had both cycling and madness, which is pretty unlikely.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

JerryLee posted:

Fair enough, I got confused and thought we were still focusing on suspend!

Re: Ichor Slick. I guess I don't see it as a problem that the card has several different options, any more than something like a Charm is a problem (I guess Charms usually aren't common but let's be real; if charms are a problem, it's a problem that's going to come up for a casual player trying to buy packs during RTR block or KTK).

Yeah, you might not see the synergy between Madness and Cycling, but that's not a problem either because the game doesn't try to divide by zero if the new player just plays it exactly like they would if it were Expunge. Someday, they'll notice the synergy (or have it pointed out to them) and they'll feel really cool, but it doesn't have to happen on the day they fan out their first booster pack.

New players still expect the cards to do something. If they know that a card does a thing, but not why it does a thing, that's not fun. You need to understand basically everything ichor slick does in order to make sense of it. No player is content to read a card and think "oh it has a random mishmash of disparate abilities, that's cool." They want to give it a purpose. Look at a maro favorite in rescue from the underworld. That's a card that does a bunch of things and has a bunch of words on it, but you can read it and think "oh it gets me my guy back in a flavourful way" and then you're done thinking about it, but there's still lots more to discover about the card beyond that.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

little munchkin posted:

I never really understood the whole problem with complexity until someone I was drafting with said to me "do you ever just not play a card because it's got too many words and can't figure out what it does?". I asked what card it was and said I could probably explain it to them. She showed me Abbot of Keral Keep and I was like oh that card is a bomb you should definitely play it.

People who discuss magic online fail to realize that literally makes you the 1%. Actual pro players are the 0.1%. Wizards caters to the 98.9% because they buy more packs and supplemental products.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

New players still expect the cards to do something. If they know that a card does a thing, but not why it does a thing, that's not fun. You need to understand basically everything ichor slick does in order to make sense of it. No player is content to read a card and think "oh it has a random mishmash of disparate abilities, that's cool." They want to give it a purpose. Look at a maro favorite in rescue from the underworld. That's a card that does a bunch of things and has a bunch of words on it, but you can read it and think "oh it gets me my guy back in a flavourful way" and then you're done thinking about it, but there's still lots more to discover about the card beyond that.

Why does any card have cycling or madness?

Why is it a failure state for a new player to play Ichor Slick as though it only had cycling or madness, or even just as a "vanilla" removal spell, until one day when they have an epiphany about the interaction?

Anecdote: When I was learning to play Magic eons and eons ago, there was a Slippery Karst in the deck I was using to learn to play. It took me so long (relatively speaking) to figure out that I ought to cycle it if I already had more than enough land. It still tapped for mana just fine in the meantime.

Yes, it's really dumb to play a CIPT land with no plan to take advantage of its other benefits, but that just makes past me even more naive, and thus hopefully an even better case study.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

Why does any card have cycling or madness?

Why is it a failure state for a new player to play Ichor Slick as though it only had cycling or madness, or even just as a "vanilla" removal spell, until one day when they have an epiphany about the interaction?

Anecdote: When I was learning to play Magic eons and eons ago, there was a Slippery Karst in the deck I was using to learn to play. It took me so long (relatively speaking) to figure out that I ought to cycle it if I already had more than enough land. It still tapped for mana just fine in the meantime.

Yes, it's really dumb to play a CIPT land with no plan to take advantage of its other benefits, but that just makes past me even more naive, and thus hopefully an even better case study.

The failure isn't "a card can't have cycling and madness that interact" it is what rarity is it? How much complexity is in the set overall? Cards don't exist in a vacuum. They're part of a set, and if there are a few complex things to spend some thinkin power on, and some things that are pretty straight forward, you still get the reward when you figure out the complex thing, but the game isn't an unfun pile of poo poo until you do get it. If there are a lot of complex things, the game is an unfun pile of poo poo until you get it. If you already get it, then you can accept almost any level of complexity and in fact probably enjoy things more when they're more complex. However, sales tell Wizards that more people don't get it than do.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Insane local magic drama: the local high level judge got To-catch-a-predator'd last night and relinquished his drat self to police custody today.

What this means for future GPT's is unclear!

I was going to make a second insensitive joke about all PPTQ's being cancelled because it doesn't stand for Pre-Teen qualifiers, but I'm not going to.

Well this is going to be a hard one to top.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mezzanon posted:

Insane local magic drama: the local high level judge got To-catch-a-predator'd last night and relinquished his drat self to police custody today.

I was going to make a second insensitive joke about all PPTQ's being cancelled because it doesn't stand for Pre-Teen qualifiers, but I'm not going to.

Pretty hosed up that this guy's ability to participate in Magic: the Gathering tournaments has been negatively impacted by a few rapish indiscretions that have nothing to do with the card game Magic: the Gathering.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Pretty hosed up that this guy's ability to participate in Magic: the Gathering tournaments has been negatively impacted by a few rapish indiscretions that have nothing to do with the card game Magic: the Gathering.

please source your reddit quotes

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Is this a reference to that other rapey guy?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

probably not. the forums are a place for sincerely defending rapists and not a place for jokes

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

probably not. the forums are a place for sincerely defending rapists and not a place for jokes

This is presumably a joke but uh, did you see some of the posts last time?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

This is presumably a joke but uh, did you see some of the posts last time?

i didn't read this thread back then but writing a bunch of words about how it's important that the card game you play also gets played by a rapist who you've never met seems like a good use of time. much better than say, watching television or going outside.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
DCI ban list update. G.Fab suspended 6 months. Still wonder if the story about him showing a judge how he knew his opponent cheating by cutting into a foil in his own deck was true. If so, duh?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

UberJew posted:

please source your reddit quotes

Mezzanon posted:

Almost assuredly yes, but also almost assuredly a phrase written in earnest originally. LoB is the brave soul that ventures forth to darker realms (MTGS) and comes back with whatever morsels of insanity (s)he finds only to casually drop them in this thread with no mention of their source. It's sort of his(her?) deal. I think of it as a valuable service, reminding us what we could become if we aren't watchful.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

So I've decided I'm going to collect MTGO redemption boxes of foil sets from Khans going forward, but I don't know when the best time to buy is in terms of any price dips that typically happen. "Black Lives Matter" is racist.

Right now Khans is around $500, Fate around $250 and Dragons around $325. These prices seem very fair when you look at the value of the cards, but will the value of the cards go down once these sets rotate? I can't imagine Khans going down because the bulk of its value is the foil fetchlands. Am I right on that? What about the other two? When is generally the best time to purchase complete foil sets? Well, if you look at the incidents that Black Lives Matter protests, you can find plenty of equivalent examples with white cops and white citizens, black cops and white citizens, and black cops and black citizens.

Thanks! So, when they protest ONLY those where it was a white cop and a black citizen, they're really only sending one message: White people cannot touch black people, no matter what, and white policemen specifically aren't allowed to hold black people accountable to the law.

Edit: If the Khans block will be a little cheaper in the months after they rotate, I might go ahead and get the Theros block now instead. Then get Khans in a year. I would say it's a racist message.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

for the record the source is every post ever made about zackary "at least I'm not a pedophile" jessie

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

for the record the source is every post ever made about zackary "at least I'm not a pedophile" jessie

I think you missed my post where I just said "im gay" over and over

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

JerryLee posted:

I think you missed my post where I just said "im gay" over and over

Does anyone know how the MTGO redemption sets are packed? You found the only exception, because it was a group of six. I was of course familiar with the case. Had they all been black you would have never known the name Freddie Gray.

Are they compiled by machines from the same print sheets that are used for boosters, and then put mechanically in the white boxes? Or do people put them together and put them in the white boxes by hand? That is the official dogma, but it's inconsistent with the actions and protests of Black Lives Matter. They didn't give one whit about Dillon Taylor, killed by a black officer two days after Michael Brown was killed. Oh, and Taylor was not committing any crimes, and never tried to take the officer's gun.

Finding out for certain one way or another is very important to me, because if they are mechanically packed that means that they are in the same brand new condition that cards in booster packs are, and I can then obtain them occasionally to add to my 'brand new, never before touched by humans hands' collection. But cops do not treat different racial groups differently when you control for the behavior of the purported victims.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

This is important. Is he a Star Trek fan? Does he play blue? Does he have a lantern control, Merfolk, or miracles deck?

Write back ASAP

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Man you can't get away with nuffin', no matter which thread, huh?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kizudarake posted:

This is important. Is he a Star Trek fan? Does he play blue? Does he have a lantern control, Merfolk, or miracles deck?

Write back ASAP

Maybe.

Yes.

Possibly.

Definitely plays turbo turns.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Someone posted this on Tumblr yesterday.

It isn't perfect, but dang, I wish I'd done this first.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
No great loss.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

your honor, emrakul told me she was 18/18

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Serperoth posted:

God damnit... Hahaha

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Serperoth posted:

Throughout the ages, this has never gotten less funny.

:allears:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I really don't get the joke? Those look like completely random cards to me.

e: oh, I think I figured it out. Magical jokes are often harder for the man.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

e: oh, I think I figured it out. Magical jokes are often harder for the man.

This is why it never gets less funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

Thanks :3: was quite surprised to get one. Been a good month or so, what with this and making L2

My main issue is working out what the hell to do with 8 recognitions a wave now :psyduck:

• Locked thread