Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Should be Smith smiling and then the mustache falls off and he's sad Smith

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Toshimo posted:

What's the emoticon for the crushing despair of having your trasnformo-stache taken away?

: ( ( ==> : (

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Bongo Bill posted:

I can't keep track of any of those drat robots from panel to panel.

Yeah, I bought the first three trades on the strength of the panels posted here, but I must have some sort of robot face blindness because I have no idea who is who from page to page. I find myself repeating the names of everyone in the current scene to myself, trying to memorize them. Rodimus, Prowl, Chromedome... Rodimus, Prowl, Chromedome...

It's not really helping and there's so many robots.

Another thing I'm having trouble getting over is the time scale. Are Cybertron years different from Earth years? Because when one dude doesn't recognize another dude even though the other due was his psychiatrist for six thousand years it kind of beggars belief. And later, a different dude says, "Finally, someone I recognize!" after being in stasis for six million years. What?! How?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

lowercase16 posted:

Yeah, I bought the first three trades on the strength of the panels posted here, but I must have some sort of robot face blindness because I have no idea who is who from page to page. I find myself repeating the names of everyone in the current scene to myself, trying to memorize them. Rodimus, Prowl, Chromedome... Rodimus, Prowl, Chromedome...

It's not really helping and there's so many robots.
It never quite goes away, but you'll learn to recognize most of the important characters.

lowercase16 posted:

Another thing I'm having trouble getting over is the time scale. Are Cybertron years different from Earth years? Because when one dude doesn't recognize another dude even though the other due was his psychiatrist for six thousand years it kind of beggars belief. And later, a different dude says, "Finally, someone I recognize!" after being in stasis for six million years. What?! How?

They are immortal robot people who just ended a civil war that lasted for millions of years and killed hundreds of billions of innocent people and they are all a little hosed up as a result.

The guy who blacked out for six million years is better off than most of them, since he got to sleep through the war and the millions of years worth of PTSD.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Probably, being machines, their faces change over the years as they change? Upgrades, new alt modes, damage to be repaired. Some would change it deliberately, to cut ties with their pasts or a 'gently caress you' while switching sides.

Or we're putting more thought into it than the writers were and they use big numbers of years for dramatic purposes :v:

E: also what the guy above me said

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

lowercase16 posted:

Because when one dude doesn't recognize another dude even though the other due was his psychiatrist for six thousand years it kind of beggars belief. And later, a different dude says, "Finally, someone I recognize!" after being in stasis for six million years. What?! How?

It's two different things, actually.

The psychiatrist one is a in-comic, long running joke that nobody ever notices Rung is there or acknowledges him much, but specifically on that one part, Red Alert who is a paranoid freak is pretending not to know Rung.

The other is about the little bot who stayed in stasis for six million years. Six million years ago the only one of the Lost Light's crew that existed was Cyclonus, who was a national hero for being part of the First Ark's crew. That's how the little dude recognized the latter.

Regarding the time scale, most of the characters you will meet were born/created before or after the great war started, four million years ago. This date is important and will kept being referenced.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anyway, the hardest problem with the comic is the huge cast, no debate about it, but people who stick with will memorize most of the characters fast. At the start you need to know only these:

* Rodimus, the moronic ship captain and his two in command:
* Ultramagnus, huge battle bot that used to be a space cop
* Drift, former enemy now reformed, who believes in a bunch of spiritual mumbo jumbo
* Chromedome and Rewind, they are a couple
* Whirl, troublemaker on the extreme
* Ratchet, the ship's medic and one of the oldest in the crew

As you keep track of those above you will end up recognizing some of the others sooner or later:
* Tailgate, the little bot who spent six million years in statis
* Swerve, a really annoying hyperactive guy
* Skids, mysterious bot with some sort of secret agent past
* Cyclonus, thought to be an enemy, but just a guy who's not adjusting to modern reality
* Brainstorm, arrogant weapon maker who's an old friend of Chromedome

That's 12 people. There will be more of course, but it's a 40+ issues series so they will be introduced properly in time. It's the start that is a bit bumpy. Please keep at it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Yeah, I basically didn't know anything about Transformers outside of the movies and the little bits everyone knows, and I jumped in with the Humble Bundle a while back and it didn't take long to be able to tell the important characters apart. All the major characters have fairly distinct faces.

It's totally worth it too, MTMTE is fantastic.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Everyone talking about Transformers and nobody posting Megatron and Ravage from MTMTE? Shameful.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's been posted before, that's all. It's still a pretty strong character moment.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And of course, my brain ruins it by thinking, "He's pining for the fjords."

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

lowercase16 posted:

As far as I know this has never been brought up. I'm waiting for that to be a big twist- that if you translated it into Earth years the war was only 50 years long or some poo poo.
Alternatively, the timeframe could be being auto-converted into Earth time in the same way their dialogue is auto-translated from Cybertronian to English for the benefit of the reader.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Diet Poison posted:

As far as I know this has never been brought up. I'm waiting for that to be a big twist- that if you translated it into Earth years the war was only 50 years long or some poo poo.
Alternatively, the timeframe could be being auto-converted into Earth time in the same way their dialogue is auto-translated from Cybertronian to English for the benefit of the reader.

Yeah, I'm having to think of it like... metric time, or something. It really does slam me right out of the story. Like, some writer with no sense of scale just slapped a bunch of zeroes on a date 30 years ago, and everyone since just has to keep it up because it's canon.

4,000,000 years is crazy, but if I think of it like 400 metric years, it seems about right to me. 400 years is really loving long war, but still something essentially-immortal robots who can replace blown-off limbs might, conceivably, survive.

Which if I apply it to the scene with the psychiatrist, would mean the guard was seeing Rung for... seven months? Which makes more sense while still maintaining the joke.

Anyway, sorry for the derail.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

The war really was four million years long, but the transformers didn't invent faster-than-light travel until very recently, so most of that was spent in transit between stars. Please make my No-Prize out to cash; I am between banks at the moment

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the immortality thing is just a caveat of writing this race. No matter the continuity, transformer are beings that are millions of years old. This is accepted.

Might as well actually use it as part of the story and think about how such lives would work instead of just continually repeating it without meaning anything by it.

I guess it's one of those things easier to accept if you've grown up with those kinds of stories. I wasn't part of the pokemon craze and I don't think I could be told a story from that without being distracted by questions like "but how does an ecosystem with superpowered animals work" or "so these are kids who go around having animals beat up other animals until they're too weak to fight back and then imprison them and the animals actually accept or even welcome this fate because why"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

the immortality thing is just a caveat of writing this race. No matter the continuity, transformer are beings that are millions of years old. This is accepted.

Might as well actually use it as part of the story and think about how such lives would work instead of just continually repeating it without meaning anything by it.

I guess it's one of those things easier to accept if you've grown up with those kinds of stories. I wasn't part of the pokemon craze and I don't think I could be told a story from that without being distracted by questions like "but how does an ecosystem with superpowered animals work" or "so these are kids who go around having animals beat up other animals until they're too weak to fight back and then imprison them and the animals actually accept or even welcome this fate because why"

Because friendship.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Didn't the Autobot Decepticon war whittle the number of cybertronians down from the billions to the thousands?

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Cybertron in the IDW comics is literally one city, the entire rest of the planet is an inhospitable wasteland. Megatron has personally killed literal millions of Cybertronians, there's and entire planet dedicated purely to being a war-memorial the war was so huge. Cybertronians are basically considered the single most loathed race in the universe because they have basically destroyed multiple civilizations as a byproduct of the war.

Also, the earlier IDW things make a point to show the war being more low-key, with pretty small squads of Cybertronians fighting each other, not big unified armies. The Earth takeover force was like...4 Decepticons, and that was expected to be enough. It was assumed that a single one of Megatron's big enforcer 'bots could reasonably pose a threat to the entire military threat of Earth because the only way to hurt him would be straight nukes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whoa whoa, Cybertronians are the SECOND most reviled race after the Ammonites.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They have been at war for sixteen million years. Six-teen! That's ridiculous. That's a ridiculous number.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Depends how much of it was a hot war. Sixteen million years of immortal stand-off.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Depends how much of it was a hot war. Sixteen million years of immortal stand-off.

There's a fair share of dialogue throughout IDW's books to suggest the 4 million year Cybertronian war was like this. Hundreds of thousands of years without a shot fired, punctuated by horrible massacres that left planets burning.

The 16 million years Saoshyant mentioned were between the Ammonites and Terradores, an entirely different set of big transforming robots, who in a few gag panels in one issue, trumped every thing about the Transformers. Whirl, the sociopathic camera-headed blue guy, ended their war off-panel and in seconds when he shot their version of Optimus Prime right in his face. I think that all got posted in the funny panels thread when the issue came out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, well, even though it's kind of not in the topic of this thread, a good laugh is still good for ya, so:

Also, even though it's just a few pages gag it will come to bite them in their robotic butts both in the same issue and later on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anyway, more in line with this thread, the following are the last pages of Mark Waid's awesome run on Daredevil and I don't remember ever seeing them here:

I hope that in years from now people will refer to this run of the character as defining as Frank Miller's, because it was really, really good and worthy of such accolades.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
While we're still in MTME derail county, can I ask a stupid question?

All I know about Transformers I know from the 80s cartoon and movie. So I'm pretty confused seeing the multiple panels referencing Megatron and Galvatron as two different people. What's up wit dat? I guess is what I'm asking.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

All I know about Transformers I know from the 80s cartoon and movie. So I'm pretty confused seeing the multiple panels referencing Megatron and Galvatron as two different people. What's up wit dat? I guess is what I'm asking.

Not a stupid question since most people just remember the cartoon, but in comics continuity, even before IDW, those two have always been different characters.

Megatron was a miner that questioned the class system the cybertronians were forced into, where those who weren't part of the scientific class were pretty much garbage. He's basically Karl Marx and Lenin rolled in one character.

Galvatron is an ancient warrior before all of the above. He took off the planet with the Prime of his time, Nominus, in what would be the first attempt to subjugate other races in the universe as a plan for expansion/conquest. Instead he and his crew got stuck on something called the Dead Universe(tm) and stayed there until recently.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

I hope that in years from now people will refer to this run of the character as defining as Frank Miller's, because it was really, really good and worthy of such accolades.

Much like Waid's Flash and Fantastic Four runs it'll be almost completely unchampioned by people who liked it in favor of hipper, edgier runs and the only people who will contribute to discussion on it will be to poo poo on its relatively minor faults. Meanwhile Frank Miller's run will continue to be seen as the only defining run and sell like hotcakes because the world never runs out of mental 13 year-olds in desperate need of that particular brand of macho power fantasy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ But it is defining for Daredevil. It introduced all the elements that made Daredevil popular. Without him there would be no Kingpin, Elektra, Stick, Hand, and Born Again.

Saoshyant posted:

Anyway, more in line with this thread, the following are the last pages of Mark Waid's awesome run on Daredevil and I don't remember ever seeing them here:

The four most important runs of Daredevil are Miller, Bendis, Waid, and Bru

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really need to get the last few Waid DD TPBs. I missed one and then they just kept adding up. :smith:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Choco1980 posted:

While we're still in MTME derail county, can I ask a stupid question?

In the IDW universe they are not the same characters and they have vastly different backstories.

It only REALLY matters in the other Transformers series running right now because John Barber likes revisiting past continuity and also fixing "continuity errors" and Galvatron is running around in there right now.

I don't remember that many details of him. Simon Furman, the first guy to write IDW Transformers comics, introduced him nearly right away and it was loving years ago.
One of Furman's gimmicks was starting the Transformers off without their gimmicks and giving them new origins, and Galvatron having absolutely nothing to do with Megatron was one of them.

I don't care that much. Right now he's kind of written as an rear end in a top hat, he's did a great deal in old, old times before even the functionist senate (mostly murdering transformers he saw as aberrant, like ones with transforming heads or that turned into animals or combined, that poo poo disgusts him).
Then got last in an alternate hell dimension, came back and hosed things up further,
and now he runs the Decepticons since Megatron gave up. Though Soundwave is the brains of the operation, really.

Really IDW continuity is VASTLY different than the cartoons or other comics.
tfwiki's a good place to get a bead on what has happened, but it's best you just forget them and pay attention to what the characters are talking about.
MTMTE is mostly its own thing though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Optimus is cool because he turns into a truck.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Lurdiak posted:

Optimus is cool because he turns into a truck.

no he's cool because he turns into a gorilla

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Is Optimus dead again

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is Optimus dead again

Worse, he's a politician now.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Acne Rain posted:

or combined, that poo poo disgusts him).

My favorite transformer is Garnet.

Ha ha. I am funny.

The discussions of transformers and the relationships and stuff actually almost make me want to read it. I never liked anything else that was transformers though. Robots and cars are not super cool to me. But I love good character development

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

KittyEmpress posted:

My favorite transformer is Garnet.

Ha ha. I am funny.

The discussions of transformers and the relationships and stuff actually almost make me want to read it. I never liked anything else that was transformers though. Robots and cars are not super cool to me. But I love good character development

Grab the Last Stand Of The Wreckers TPB, it's by the same writer (well, he co-wrote it). Then just go through each TPB in order but I found personally that it takes until ~ issue 12 that it starts hitting it's stride, and I've read everything in the IDW canon so far

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

KittyEmpress posted:

More than Meets the Eye has some of the best Starscream character development of any Transformers books. He lies and cheats his way to the top of the decepticons, then he lies and cheats his way almost to the top of the autobots, then he lies and cheats his way into basically being king of the loving transformers. Like, I literally think he has a loving crown at one point. Then he realizes that he's accomplished everything he could ever want, and that his lying and cheating is a massive ten-ton tiger that's about to bite him in the rear end, and he has a mild psychotic break before deciding that "gently caress it, I am goddamned Starscream and I can do this poo poo." and he actually manages to end up being not-a-complete-piece-of-poo poo. It's kind of awesome, and as great as Megatron's development has been I think I still like Starscream's better. He goes from sniveling toady to king of the world, and has to man the gently caress up in order to remain there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

goatface posted:

Also depends on how long it takes Cybertron to orbit it's sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Whoops, looks like I was wrong, the Starscream stuff is actually part of "Robots in Disguise" not "More than Meets the Eye" but they kind of take place around the same time frame, I think? Basically, issues 30-40~ish.