Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd give them the credit, if only it was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006

Kiwiblog publishes an article calling for the immediate cessation of Muslim immigration, hides behind "it was a guest post! I don't endorse it!"

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"

David Garrett posted:

The prevailing sentiment among both the political elites and the population of Britain at large was then, as ours is now, one of tolerance, or at least wilful blindness to the dangers posed by the rising tide of fascism in Germany.

This analogy is fascinating and terrible and what the gently caress. Also, even if you don't click through to read the post (don't), knowing that it's Garrett will probably tell you a lot.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
If giving this Saudi $4m as well as sending 900 pregnant sheep, most of which don't successfully deliver, wasn't good enough, we're now buying the guy a $2.5m slaughterhouse.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/291259/govt-to-build-saudi-businessman-an-abattoir

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

So uh why are we giving this guy millions of dollars I don't get it? Are we trying to bribe him for something?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He has photos of Stephen Joyce personally inseminating the sheep.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

truther posted:

If giving this Saudi $4m as well as sending 900 pregnant sheep, most of which don't successfully deliver, wasn't good enough, we're now buying the guy a $2.5m slaughterhouse.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/291259/govt-to-build-saudi-businessman-an-abattoir

Why? I don't understand this at all.

At least the money they're spending on the flag change they can at least argue that it has something to do with our country, but what does giving this guy millions do for us?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Saros posted:

Are we trying to bribe him for something?

Yes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In return for what though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Laverna posted:

Why? I don't understand this at all.

At least the money they're spending on the flag change they can at least argue that it has something to do with our country, but what does giving this guy millions do for us?

Our government is corrupt.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

"free trade"

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Um excuse me, it's not bribery because that would be unethical. It's paying money to a Saudi in a position of power in the hope he will use his influence to secure a favourable outcome.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Not releasing the photos of Stephen Joyce and the sheep.
At this point it is the only logical explanation.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

More accurately, their government is corrupt and ours is having to basically pay bribes to get our exports there. I guess that also makes our government corrupt?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fong posted:

More accurately, their government is corrupt and ours is having to basically pay bribes to get our exports there. I guess that also makes our government corrupt?

Yeah that's pretty much how corruption works.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Shouldn't they try to be at least a little discreet about it?
Corruption and bribery is supposed to be all hush hush, right? They could at least make an effort, come on!

They aren't even good at being corrupt, ugh.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fong posted:

Please note that we are not paying bribes to get our exports there. We are employing one particular man to keep opposing our exports getting there.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who are we sending to do these negotiations? Not Mr I couldn't get into the WTO while spying on everyone and couldn't get milk from the TPPA?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

fong posted:

We already had numerous other examples. This is more notable for the shift to open corruption.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't think corruption is the right words tbh. Corruption is when the government behaves illegally. Like what they're doing to get our exports into Saudi is dodgy and pathetic and reflects poorly on us as a country, but I don't think it's corrupt.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Paying bribes to someone in order to get something done in this manner is illegal and is a fairly textbook definition of corruption.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Under what law is this illegal?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://www.sfo.govt.nz/legislation

Apparently there are loopholes if the value is low and it is to expedite a task that would happen anyway. Which doesn't cover this case.

So paying some guy millions of dollars in order to influence potential trade negotiations would be covered.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The difference in this case is where the guy's role ends as a representative of the Saudi Arabian govt, and where his private interests begin. If this were to go through normal diplomatic routes it wouldn't be particularly unusual, its fairly common for states to seek some kind of compensation if another state's laws have disadvantaged them (and individual businesses). The difference is that this dude is a private interest as well as a govt official. It'd be like if Murry McCully also owned Zespri or something.

I don't really know why I'm arguing this because, like I said, I think its dodgy, pathetic and degrading. I guess its because I don't think you can expect our government to just refuse dealings with corrupt individuals.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

fong posted:

I don't really know why I'm arguing this because, like I said, I think its dodgy, pathetic and degrading. I guess its because I don't think you can expect our government to just refuse dealings with corrupt individuals.

It's good to try to feel through the issues from the other side. It makes it clearer in your own mind why you believe what you do.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fong posted:

The difference in this case is where the guy's role ends as a representative of the Saudi Arabian govt, and where his private interests begin.

It seems like they're continuous with each other, given Saudi Arabia's status as a kleptocratic monarchy where only members of the house of Saud can hold important positions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fong posted:

I don't think corruption is the right words tbh.

"Morally bankrupt" are the right words, hth.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

At this point, Hostis humani generis would also be a cozy fit.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

fong posted:

I guess its because I don't think you can expect our government to just refuse dealings with corrupt individuals.

Why not? If everyone refused, then those corrupt individuals would find themselves with no power at all. Except people do deal with them, so they get to enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else.

Insert typical "But if I don't do it someone else will!" response that bad people do to justify their horrible actions.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh loving boy it's time for THAT argument again :munch:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hey guys. Here's the thing. Free trade, as a notion and with any country, isn't a cornucopia that will produce good times forever. It's a double-edged sword that both parties grip as tightly as possible to see who bleeds least.

It's definitely not something a tiny country who likes to brag about punching above its weight and being a respectable citizen of the world should be bribing individual members of a corrupt theocratic fundamentalist regime in pursuit of, let alone one that John "We don't back the rapists and murderers" Key should be pursuing given its abominable human rights records on raping and murdering, and its widely 'known' but diplomatically uncomfortable ties to the fundamentalist terrorism networks that make John Key wet himself over deploying troops.

That our government will continue to make overtures that fundamentally contradict our expressed values as a nation and the values expressed as his own by his honour John Key the Prime Minister of New Zealand should come as no surprise given Nationals extensive history of providing perks, positions, jobs, and paybacks to its own party members, friends, partners and piggybanks throughout their term in power.

All the best, please eat the rich instead of each other.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I would, but Exclamation Marx gets grumpy when I start making suggestions.

Even though I don't see anyone else providing alternatives.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ghostlight posted:

given Nationals extensive history of providing perks, positions, jobs, and paybacks to its own party members, friends, partners and piggybanks throughout their term in power.

This is the traditional form of corruption in NZ btw, rather than accepting monetary bribes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Why not? If everyone refused, then those corrupt individuals would find themselves with no power at all. Except people do deal with them, so they get to enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else.

Insert typical "But if I don't do it someone else will!" response that bad people do to justify their horrible actions.

Its a bit more complicated than that though, because for our govt to have no dealings with them that would mean no kiwis allowed to travel there or do business there, and any kiwis living there either having to leave or be cut loose.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's almost as if the real world isn't so black and white that "just don't talk to the corrupt people" isn't a viable option. It'd be nice if it was, but alas.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

fong posted:

Its a bit more complicated than that though, because for our govt to have no dealings with them that would mean no kiwis allowed to travel there or do business there, and any kiwis living there either having to leave or be cut loose.

But there's a bit of a gulf (heh) between "don't acknowledge the existence of Saudi Arabia" and "don't give millions of kickbacks to corrupt officials, lie to cover it up and then fail to even achieve the goal you wanted to get out of this bribe". But everyone knows that giving up on chasing the free trade dream in this case is unpalatable because John Key is a good business man and would never completely fail to achieve an objective such as this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I mean, it's literally something we did in protest of Fiji's military coup but reality is too grey to contemplate black and white solutions such as that, nice as they would be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

I don't disagree with you but every time I see/hear an argument like this my brain shuts down because I always think of that hoary old primary school lesson: if everyone picks up one piece of rubbish a day, there won't be any rubbish anywhere and it never loving happens.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Aaaand Judith Collins back as police and corrections minister.

What the actual hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

should come as no surprise given Nationals extensive history of providing perks, positions, jobs, and paybacks to its own party members, friends, partners and piggybanks throughout their term in power.

• Locked thread