Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think by "impression" he means "wig".

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ppl think this bcuz u write like ur really angry. There's a way to disagree without like...seeming really pissed.

Like uh, this? It's rude...ur insulting the dude

I don't think you need to be angry to be sarcastic or rude.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It is kind of an odd trailer, It seems to show substantial sequences more or less in order, rather than jumping around. It's nice. It tries to preserve the pacing the scene will likely have in the film.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I don't think you need to be angry to be sarcastic or rude.

I guess you can be a dick just to be a dick but I don't see how that's better

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I guess you can be a dick just to be a dick but I don't see how that's better

Did you forget what website you're on or something?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Did you forget what website you're on or something?

It's not "The Internet makes you rude"!!!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well, Wonder Woman blocking that attack with her shield and standing there like it was nothing with an "I'm going to wreck your poo poo" facial expression has me hopeful that they'll at least get the rear end-kicking side of Wonder Woman right.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Martman posted:

Same reason other people did.

As far as the Reddit response, the second highest comment in the r/Movies post is:

I'm seeing a lot of responses of people thinking it's just not right somehow in vague ways. There's also the people mad at spoilers, of course.

r/movies is embarrassing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Martman posted:

I'm starting to love the idea of a Batman who's grown up in a world of "small" supercrime (people like the Joker) essentially being super grumpy about being dragged into the world of Superman-level conflicts. I still hope there's some other large-scale villain to fight besides a Zod-based Doomsday, though, since that could leave Batman still blaming Superman for bringing all of this to Earth in the first place.

I doubt that Batman will blame Superman for Doomsday because Doomsday is clearly Lex' creation. It'll probably be Wayne kinda working with Lex to stop Superman and unwittingly helping him to gather poo poo to create Doomsday. Then when he finally refuses to destroy Superman, Lex pulls the trigger and Batman finally realizes what an idiot he has been.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

I doubt that Batman will blame Superman for Doomsday because Doomsday is clearly Lex' creation. It'll probably be Wayne kinda working with Lex to stop Superman and unwittingly helping him to gather poo poo to create Doomsday. Then when he finally refuses to destroy Superman, Lex pulls the trigger and Batman finally realizes what an idiot he has been.

Yeah, it's clear that Wayne primarily blames Superman for the destruction of Metropolis, kind of in a similar way how in Jessica Jones one client tries to kill her because she's a "superhero" like the ones that destroyed NYC except obviously Clark is much more directly connected.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So, Superman is just gonna be depicted totally blameless, then. Exonerated of all culpability.

Sigh. If we must.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Superman's culpable for the violence other people did, somehow?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So about that shot from the first trailer that references batman pose tdk style, we were led to assume in the first trailer that it was superman firing his laser vision at batman, are we now thinking it's doomsday instead?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hbomberguy posted:

He shouldn't have been wearing that outfit, obviously.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So about that shot from the first trailer that references batman pose tdk style, we were led to assume in the first trailer that it was superman firing his laser vision at batman, are we now thinking it's doomsday instead?

I've been thinking that for a while. I didn't see Superman doing something that would actually kill Batman if he didn't dodge it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
How can you miss somebody when your weapon is laser beams from your eyes?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hbomberguy posted:

Well, I was hoping the film might explore the answer to that question, and that the answer wouldn't simply be that he isn't that bad because his detractors are just as bad as him. The concept of culpability isn't just a matter of enforcing responsibility, it also begs the question: how do we compel responsibility? What happens when Superman does commit a crime? Who does he ultimately answer to? Who supermans the Superman?

(The answer, apparently, is Wonder Woman. And I suppose I'll have to be satisfied with that.)

I remember that in the last MoS thread, a question was asked of me: what happens if Superman decides that he doesn't like the death penalty and wants to abolish it? I know what comic Superman might do. But what would this Superman do?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurzon posted:

How can you miss somebody when your weapon is laser beams from your eyes?

They already established in MoS that the heat vision shoots straight out ahead and if you grab hold of a Kryptonian's head and move it around you can steer their heat vision like a laser pointer.

"Ima write my name on the wall with your eyes LOL"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The real question is, can he/it see anything while the lasers are blasting, or if you just need to aim as good as possible and let loose.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't wait for this movie and I am very excited but that trailer was cut so poorly. I hate this loving "bang bang bang" edit style coming up more and more (watch the Creed trailer for another example).

They also should not have blown their load with Doomsday in the previews. :/

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Jesse Eisenberg is the loving man and he's awesome here and I can only hope his Lex Luthor angers nerds who can't appreciate a fun-but-different character

Agreed though that the editing in this trailer is loving awful

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 3, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hbomberguy posted:

We do this every single day to entire groups of people. The concept is not hard to understand.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
unless you guys keep forgetting superman is jesus, so he's...awesome, praise the lord

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I wish they had given Doomsday more to do than be the tacked on baddie for cliche ten minute "wait a minute we shouldn't be fighting each other, the REAL bad guy is that roaring Hulk monster over there" finale. Cue monster overpowering for seven minutes, Superman saving Batman's rear end from certain death (or the other way around? what a twist!), and ending with the Batman & Superman realizing that they can only beat Doomsday through the power of teamwork :toot:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

935 posted:

I wish they had given Doomsday more to do than be the tacked on baddie for cliche ten minute "wait a minute we shouldn't be fighting each other, the REAL bad guy is that roaring Hulk monster over there" finale.

He's a terrible character though who is most notable for killing Superman and completely misrepresenting the concept of evolution.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

BrianWilly posted:

Well, I was hoping the film might explore the answer to that question, and that the answer wouldn't simply be that he isn't that bad because his detractors are just as bad as him. The concept of culpability isn't just a matter of enforcing responsibility, it also begs the question: how do we compel responsibility? What happens when Superman does commit a crime? Who does he ultimately answer to? Who supermans the Superman?

(The answer, apparently, is Wonder Woman. And I suppose I'll have to be satisfied with that.)

I remember that in the last MoS thread, a question was asked of me: what happens if Superman decides that he doesn't like the death penalty and wants to abolish it? I know what comic Superman might do. But what would this Superman do?

What makes Superman culpable for the violence in Man of Steel?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know people hate this, but it's not unheard of for Superhero movies to have the bad guy barely be a notable character in the film, and to make the film more about the superhero(s) themselves and their personal struggles. Which is probably going to be Batman vs. Superman. If Doomsday is barely a character in the film then I am okay with that because I am not expecting this movie to be about the bad guy.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

935 posted:

I wish they had given Doomsday more to do than be the tacked on baddie for cliche ten minute "wait a minute we shouldn't be fighting each other, the REAL bad guy is that roaring Hulk monster over there" finale. Cue monster overpowering for seven minutes, Superman saving Batman's rear end from certain death (or the other way around? what a twist!), and ending with the Batman & Superman realizing that they can only beat Doomsday through the power of teamwork :toot:

this is literally what the movie was always going to be from day one of yellow-fingers hitting the keyboard and typing "BATMAN VS SUPERMAN ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY"

there will not be one single story beat in the movie that you won't see coming so if you wanna get any enjoyment at all out of this thing you need to make peace with that

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doomsday is a weapon, Lex is the villain.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Trailer is bad, film looks bad, *except* for Jesse's Lex, who is proving to be the most enjoyable and interesting thing they've shown to date. Way more hyped for Suicide Squad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

935 posted:

Hey you never know. Maybe Superman is actually going to die in this movie and its his death that will motivate Wonder Woman to form the Justice League.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

teagone posted:

Hey you never know. Maybe Superman is actually going to die in this movie and its his death that will motivate Wonder Woman to form the Justice League.

*Jeremy Irons hands Wonder Woman blood-stained pogs*

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The trailer is good and the film looks really good. Like, visually rich and well-directed.

The last 2 pages since the trailer was posted (along with the last couple pages in the comic book movie thread) has been the most :goonsay: experience I've had in a while.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

teagone posted:

so space jesus dies and they form space christianity because he died

sounds about right

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Like literally Doomsday is the archetype of an 8 year old's character.

"My guy can grow laser beams and has super healing so you can't beat him ever!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

computer parts posted:

Like literally Doomsday is the archetype of an 8 year old's character.

"My guy can grow laser beams and has super healing so you can't beat him ever!"

Seems to fix Lex's character perfectly.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Darko posted:

Doomsday is a weapon, Lex is the villain.

Yeah, bemoaning the (still theoretical) lack of attention the deep and fascinating character that is Doomsday is pretty headscratching.

The best thing this movie could do with Doomsday is just killing him off so that no one else can use him in the future.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The last 2 pages since the trailer was posted (along with the last couple pages in the comic book movie thread) has been the most :goonsay: experience I've had in a while.

Hot takes!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

What happens when Superman does commit a crime? Who does he ultimately answer to? Who supermans the Superman?

Superman lies dazed on the ground, weakened from the fight with Doomsday. Seeing her opportunity, Wonder Woman grimly raises her shield then slams it down, decapitating the last son of Krypton. She turns to Batman, "Like you said, he's too dangerous to let live."

"Well, actually, I sort of thought after we teamed up there that..."

DAWN OF JUSTICE

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
After years of Clancy Brown as Luthor its very difficult for me to accept Eisenberg's skinny, squeaky voiced version of the character.

I assume at some point the idea of just having the movie be a story about Superman getting infected with whatever that kryptonite is(red?) that makes him go crazy was tossed around and rejected in favor of having a gigantic monster that the two heroes can brawl with. I would have preferred more of a two part story where the entire first film is about Superman and Batman learning about each other and then fighting at the end, and then a second film where a major villain comes into the picture for them to team up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

After years of Clancy Brown as Luthor its very difficult for me to accept Eisenberg's skinny, squeaky voiced version of the character.

I assume at some point the idea of just having the movie be a story about Superman getting infected with whatever that kryptonite is(red?) that makes him go crazy was tossed around and rejected in favor of having a gigantic monster that the two heroes can brawl with. I would have preferred more of a two part story where the entire first film is about Superman and Batman learning about each other and then fighting at the end, and then a second film where a major villain comes into the picture for them to team up on.

A second film? Good god.

• Locked thread