Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

kazil posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/mIpQY

Hey guys here's a lot of words about memes.

Somebody spent a lot of effort on something containing the words 'citizens of the internet' :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

kazil posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/mIpQY

Hey guys here's a lot of words about memes.

Apparently "meme" means "fad" now?

Also

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mu Zeta posted:

Imgur seems to be getting more cynical by the day and can immediately call out bullshit

http://imgur.com/gallery/ghrMbDS

While this story is stdh it is the most plausible stdh which is weird that they will call this out but not more ridiculous poo poo. I had a landlord who did this one year. He did really well that year and gave me and my neighbors (it was a duplex) nov + dec rent free as a christmas present. He gave us christmas presents every year just not always something so insane. That's like 2k out of his pocket and i dunno if he owned more property he was doing it to. I've had dozens of other landlords in my life and not a single other one gave christmas presents or even a card even if I gave them a card they just usually mutter thanks and don't reciprocate.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Puppy Time posted:

Also

:rolleyes:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Puppy Time posted:

Also

This person hasn't been outside in years.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Turn on your monitor.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

twistedmentat posted:

I think it's better that way.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Uh why would I ever go out if I can instead be part of the golden Internet civilization reading dank memes?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Turn on your monitor.

Oof.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Life is like a meme, don't you think? At first, it so funny, create much mirth and happiness in your heart. After some time it become not so happy creating, it become stale. But the meme (LIFE) continue. It becomes difficult to bear, it hurts in your stomach to see. Unlike life meme cannot die, it is eternal suffering. Meme hell.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Shayu posted:

Life is like a meme, don't you think? At first, it so funny, create much mirth and happiness in your heart. After some time it become not so happy creating, it become stale. But the meme (LIFE) continue. It becomes difficult to bear, it hurts in your stomach to see. Unlike life meme cannot die, it is eternal suffering. Meme hell.

:agreed:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've noticed the worst of the worst hate content on imgur tends to hit the frontpage at around Saturday night. Normal, well-adjusted people have better things to do then, I guess.

Well, content anyway: http://imgur.com/gallery/3gGgSTI

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Dec 3, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

"The solution to gun violence is more guns!"

Its funny how these guys never seem to acknowledge that countries with stricter gun laws than ours all seem to have very few incidents like the ones we have every week.

Also, has there ever been a situation that's been resolved by a bystander who was carrying at the time? I mean, they all claim it's the answer so it seems like there should have been maybe one or two but I sure as hell can't think of any.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

The Mentalizer posted:

like the ones we have every week.

More like everyday https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/30/there-have-been-334-days-and-351-mass-shootings-so-far-this-year/

The Mentalizer posted:

Also, has there ever been a situation that's been resolved by a bystander who was carrying at the time?

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texas-good-guy-with-a-gun-shoots-carjacking-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/

:v:

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

The Mentalizer posted:

Its funny how these guys never seem to acknowledge that countries with stricter gun laws than ours all seem to have very few incidents like the ones we have every week.

Also, has there ever been a situation that's been resolved by a bystander who was carrying at the time? I mean, they all claim it's the answer so it seems like there should have been maybe one or two but I sure as hell can't think of any.

There was one case where a guy with a concealed carry tried to take down a shooter, but then he realized the person he was aiming at was trying to pull the gun away from the shooter. So these people like to think they're all badass but I'm guessing the fear of accidentally hitting an innocent person is stopping them from living their self defense fantasies. So good on them for that?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
There was the case of a lady in Michigan firing her concealed weapon at a car that was driven by someone who had shoplifted. Luckily the gun people had the good sense to admonish this behavior and I believe she got her CCW license suspended or revoked.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
There was also at least one guy who was carrying during the Oregon shooting who said he didn't use his weapon out of (understandable) fear of being mistaken for one of the suspects.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
There was a shootout in the 80's where a guy with body armor and an actual AK killed his wife and iirc her lawyer on the courthouse steps. A bystander shot and hit him but the armor stopped it and the gunman killed the guy.

Also I think only a tiny tiny percentage of people actually carry. Even a small gun is super uncomfortable to carry concealed and I personally know a ton of people who have permits but don't actually carry.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

I couldn't remember where I saw that chart before so I went with 'every week' to be safe, but goddamn.

I can't help but laugh at this even though I know I shouldn't. I like that the guy had the presence of mind to collect his shell casings before getting the gently caress out of there.

Borden posted:

There was one case where a guy with a concealed carry tried to take down a shooter, but then he realized the person he was aiming at was trying to pull the gun away from the shooter.

I remember hearing about that, wasn't it from the Gabrielle Giffords shooting?

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

The Mentalizer posted:

I remember hearing about that, wasn't it from the Gabrielle Giffords shooting?

Yep. Basically the guy realized what the person was doing by the time he lined up the shot. The shooter would have been able to reload and the concealed carry guy would have those people's deaths on his conscience.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Mentalizer posted:

In Colorado Springs (no, not this time, about a decade ago) there was a guy who had shot up some sort of religious camp. The next day he went into a church, started shooting, and someone with a carry permit shot him. There was also a shooting at Appalachian state or something like that where one of the school administrators had a gun in his car and held the shooter at gun point until the cops got there. I also remember hearing about someone in South America running off several people armed with AKs without killing any of them. But that one I have zero evidence of it ever happening.

Most of the self-defense uses of guns don't really get on the radar because nobody gets shot. Most people don't want to do stuff enough to risk getting shot for it.

But like the guy above me said, I wouldn't be surprised if most people with carry permits just had them as proof of background check approval. And then even more people take the classes and don't get their licenses. I took a class as a condition of my dad buying me my first .22 because it doubled as a safety, handling, and maintenance class.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Borden posted:

Yep. Basically the guy realized what the person was doing by the time he lined up the shot. The shooter would have been able to reload and the concealed carry guy would have those people's deaths on his conscience.

Both CCW classes I've been in were very specific about not intervening in poo poo because You Are Not A Cop and You Don't Know What's Going On. Your gun is for You and the people you are with.

The link to the study this goes off of is down, and it's from a "reddit community", so I'm wondering how many of the 'mass shootings' are gang/drug related, or whatever the term is for stuff the news doesn't care about until it's useful for a study like this.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Atmus posted:

The link to the study this goes off of is down, and it's from a "reddit community", so I'm wondering how many of the 'mass shootings' are gang/drug related, or whatever the term is for stuff the news doesn't care about until it's useful for a study like this.

It also uses a different definition of mass shooting than the one the FBI uses. I believe the FBI defines a mass shooting as when four or more people are killed in an incident (not counting gang/drug related, I think) whereas the information gathered for that study is incidents where four or more people are actually shot. I think it ignores gang/drug related shootings.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

It's just "three or more people shot" because it shouldn't really matter how deadly the shooting was if they at least attempted to kill a bunch of people. They count gang and drug related shootings because there's not really any reason to not count them. It's not like those aren't a problem too.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
The movie Reservoir Dogs has a girl try to shoot two criminals and shoots the under cover cop in the stomach then the other bad guy kills her. I thought this was a cool movie, would not have been as cool to view if there were no guns. So this is a good reason for guns to be allowed .

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

CommunistPancake posted:

It's just "three or more people shot" because it shouldn't really matter how deadly the shooting was if they at least attempted to kill a bunch of people. They count gang and drug related shootings because there's not really any reason to not count them. It's not like those aren't a problem too.

Yeah, but it's a "Different" (albeit probably worse) problem. The root problems and solutions to gang and drug violence are vastly different than the ones for spree shooters/domestic terrorists, so it's kind of dishonest to include them. It's like using lake and bathtub drownings in a report about why pool drownings are so bad. It's an editorial based on a subforum's project, so I guess I should be happy they bothered to spellecheck it.

This isn't even a 'stop demonizin mah gunz' thing for me, it's just really irritating that they only sorta care about that issue now, while it's useful for them.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Atmus posted:

I should be happy they bothered to spellecheck it.

Please tell me this is not on purpose :allears:

I dunno getting shot with a gun is getting shot with a gun. Is the cause that important when you want to show there is a problem about the number of people getting shot with guns ?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Fathis Munk posted:

Please tell me this is not on purpose :allears:

I dunno getting shot with a gun is getting shot with a gun. Is the cause that important when you want to show there is a problem about the number of people getting shot with guns ?

Well at least I don't pretend I'm a professional! :(

The root cause of the problem does kinda matter if you want to solve the problem and not just treat the symptoms. But the article's main goal was to get traffic, so I guess it was a success.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's a bit cynical I guess. I just figured it was another attempt to raise awareness as to the high level of gun violence in the US. And even if they are due to different causes, it doesn't change that there are mass shooting events with an alarming frequency. Anyways, maybe I'm being too naive and of course part of the reason was just to drive traffic. Still think the point is valid and I'll stop here for this derail.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Atmus posted:

Yeah, but it's a "Different" (albeit probably worse) problem. The root problems and solutions to gang and drug violence are vastly different than the ones for spree shooters/domestic terrorists, so it's kind of dishonest to include them. It's like using lake and bathtub drownings in a report about why pool drownings are so bad. It's an editorial based on a subforum's project, so I guess I should be happy they bothered to spellecheck it.

If the argument is "guns are too easily available and lead to too many people getting shot", then there is no reason to not include gang/drug shootings.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This got to their front page again:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Yellow people! :argh: (IE; Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans, etc.)

Brown people! :argh: :argh: (IE; Puerto Ricans, Hondurans, Mexicans, Argentinians, etc.)

Black people! :argh::argh::argh: (IE; Nigerians, Haitians, etc.)

White people! :geno: (IE; Scots-Irish, German, Armenians, Russians, I'm bored with this gag.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's gotta be a way to make that seem like an insult, like phrasing it along the lines of not believing white people were so sensitive that they needed their feelings constantly thought off because they're not all pussies or something but guess they need trigger warnings just like everyone else.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

kazil posted:

If the argument is "guns are too easily available and lead to too many people getting shot", then there is no reason to not include gang/drug shootings.

No, there wouldn't be, if that was their argument. That piece doesn't even imply that, which is weird considering any article involving guns related violence is either blatantly pro-gun, or blatantly anti-gun. This reads like it can't decide between being impartial facts (though I still believe it's taking liberties) or merely stating that there's too many mass shootings. It doesn't really draw any conclusions so it's either avoiding it deliberately, or it assumes its readership is already on board and that doing so would be unnecessary. Having looked at a few other editorials on that site, they don't seem to have a unified opinion.

Having said all that, I agree with Pan Z, Imgur people shouldn't be expressing opinions either way.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

One of the comments on that article:

quote:

How many of these newly defined "mass killings" were caused by criminals?
What? What are they even asking? Mass killings are a crime, right?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Laverna posted:

Sorry you must be new.

"Criminal" means black man.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

kazil posted:

Sorry you must be new.

"Criminal" means black man.

I was going to ask if criminal is a euphemism for "thug" but I thought no way that's not what they mean. :(

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

There's gotta be a way to make that seem like an insult, like phrasing it along the lines of not believing white people were so sensitive that they needed their feelings constantly thought off because they're not all pussies or something but guess they need trigger warnings just like everyone else.

Here's a good idea, person with 2 pages of posts lamenting misogynist racists om imgur, what if you don't hilariously think up ways to "seem" to insult any races at all.

Idiots on Imgur: we have met the idiots, and they are us.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nick Rivers posted:

Here's a good idea, person with 2 pages of posts lamenting misogynist racists om imgur, what if you don't hilariously think up ways to "seem" to insult any races at all.

Idiots on Imgur: we have met the idiots, and they are us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Laverna posted:

Probably as in "a person with a prior criminal record," versus someone for whom the shooting was their first criminal act.

• Locked thread