Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Alteisen posted:

are they really invisible?

Obviously not or else how could you find them on the trading post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Still bullshit to be honest, it's pretty common to have players disconnect for reasons totally outside of their control, network issues, etc, and no one should be punished as a result.

This. The solution is to make it so DCs don't protect you from losing.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I was going to play Guild Wars 2, but then I realised the game crashes whenever I try to enter spvp.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Waci posted:

I was going to play Guild Wars 2, but then I realised the game crashes whenever I try to enter spvp.

its trying to save you

the new grief:

do a hard, high level daily fractal (like cliffside) then at the end when you free the dude and click the chest click the "return to lobby" button on the right and people will click "yes" and not get their chests

a guy did this to me it was honestly pretty funny (only level 7 though)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dreggon posted:

its trying to save you

the new grief:

do a hard, high level daily fractal (like cliffside) then at the end when you free the dude and click the chest click the "return to lobby" button on the right and people will click "yes" and not get their chests

a guy did this to me it was honestly pretty funny (only level 7 though)

I've had that happen with Jade Maw pre-HoT, so it's not new. Some fractals take forever to apply credit, and if you leave before that, :rip:, and people just hit OK when a prompt comes up after the fractal is "done".

In fact, in the old system it was even more fun because you didn't just lose a single fractal's reward, you lost the whole set reward and possible levelup :classiclol:

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 3, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm just waiting to confirm the WvW patch is more deathblow than overhaul so I can uninstall this case study in terrible product management.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

boho posted:

I'm just waiting to confirm the WvW patch is more deathblow than overhaul so I can uninstall this case study in terrible product management.

Send your stuff to Nilgoow.1037 before you do.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

ItBurns posted:

Send your stuff to Nilgoow.1037 before you do.

Dedicated WvW players don't have anything to give away.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
from reddit: "Weird hairstyles can be made to work, and no, he isn't meant to be a joke."

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Thumbtacks posted:

from reddit: "Weird hairstyles can be made to work, and no, he isn't meant to be a joke."

Well he certainly thinks he is. What a happy fella.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Erdricks posted:

Dedicated WvW players don't have anything to give away.

True. WvWers should just follow xushin around Cursed Shore instead. There are plenty of NPCs to kill and the loot is way better.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Winning games makes you lose, and throwing games makes you win. Very good. Excellent. I may have a shot at this, now.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

hahahaha turns out the invisible dragonhunter trap walls are being caused by bad LOD

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/pvp/Invisible-Dragonhunter-knockdown-walls

turn the option off to induce MORE effects and you'll be able to see them

good job anet

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I knew I wasn't crazy, invisible barriers knocking me on my rear end with every dodge roll.

I sorta wish instead of just trying to taxi into maps in the 5 seconds before the group fills up, you could choose which current instance of the map you wanted to enter.
Basically thinking a drop down menu that would be:
Sparkfly Fen 1 200/200
Sparkfly Fen 2 133/200
Sparkfly Fen 3 43/200

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I sorta wish instead of just trying to taxi into maps in the 5 seconds before the group fills up, you could choose which current instance of the map you wanted to enter.
Basically thinking a drop down menu that would be:
Sparkfly Fen 1 200/200
Sparkfly Fen 2 133/200
Sparkfly Fen 3 43/200

There was a game that did this. I'll let you guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

... Oh.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Axialbloom posted:

Also from reddit

"TL:DR Won games until I was 2 pips from emerald. Then just began to lose games intentionally. Probably 18-20 games in all. Tanked my MMR, then won another 15 games, and since you can't lose "tiers" or whatever they are called, just lost a bunch of games intentionally again, tanked my MMR back to ez win games, and won a poo poo ton of games. Science boys. See you in legendary."

Guy has hit Tier 3 already and still going strong.

So he's just playing games to win, not to advance to the next tier of epeen?

Generic Octopus posted:

City of Villains did that. Maybe without saying the number of players, been 10 years since I played it.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 3, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Generic Octopus posted:

I think I played this recently with Neoman. Hmm...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just go back and add jumping to GW1 and I'll play that instead.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Never mind jumping, being unable to cast spells while moving would be the real deal breaker for me.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

effectual posted:

You can't lose tiers but you can lose progress towards the next tier, so he's tanking his MMR to be able to win a bunch of games consecutively and just hop into the next tier by cleaning house against newer players or whatever.

(You might be able to lose tiers at higher ranks, the rules change apparently.)

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

effectual posted:

No, the opposite. Because you can't go down a tier, it doesn't matter if you lose. The only thing that it affects is the quality of players you are matched against. Thus, the ranks are more indicative of games won in terms of absolute numbers rather than competitiveness. In contrast, the ladder season was more heavily weighted on MMR, so your gain/loss was based on who you were matched against, making throwing games a poor strategy as winning easy games wouldn't make up for the games you lost to get to the scrub tier.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3vajhn/gorseval_no_glider_challenge/

quote:

We had this idea during our first Clears of the Raid and wanted to see if its possible to do Gorseval without any Updrafts by Phasing him fast enough.

Yesterday we managed to do it and decided to share this Strat that I haven't seen done by anybody yet. We decided to go for a "normal" Teamcomp that we use for our usual runs as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US33l-SMKrM

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

You can't lose tiers but you can lose progress towards the next tier, so he's tanking his MMR to be able to win a bunch of games consecutively and just hop into the next tier by cleaning house against newer players or whatever.

(You might be able to lose tiers at higher ranks, the rules change apparently.)

You can lose tiers at higher ranks, but never divisions, and 15 matches is well within the length of a win (or loss) streak before your MMR changes significantly if you play a lot.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yeah so basically, once you move up division (apart from Division 1 where you don't lose tier or points) you can just start mass losing to tank MMR (and still don't lose division), then start mass winning to move up division, repeat. If you care about PvP rank in leader board then this is a very bad thing to do, but if you only care about going up division then it's a plausible (but selfish) method.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Waci posted:

You can lose tiers at higher ranks, but never divisions, and 15 matches is well within the length of a win (or loss) streak before your MMR changes significantly if you play a lot.

I just started the new tournament stuff, but is the division the gem type or whatever, and the tier the number in that? So someone could go from emerald 3 to emerald 2, but not from emerald to whatever is below that? Just as an example? The terminology is new.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just started the new tournament stuff, but is the division the gem type or whatever, and the tier the number in that? So someone could go from emerald 3 to emerald 2, but not from emerald to whatever is below that? Just as an example? The terminology is new.

Yeah division is the gem, tier is the three five win tiers in each one. Tanking as soon as you go up a division carries zero drawbacks because you can't drop divisions.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

yes

divisions have tiers
tiers have pips

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Got it, thanks.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

malhavok posted:

Yeah division is the gem, tier is the three five win tiers in each one.

All divisions but amber have 5+ tiers.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Finally 5 ranked wins with Warrior/Berserker. I had 150 out of 270 ranked wins only playing zerker Warrior (solo Q) pre-HoT, but it's insanely harder now to even get 40% win rate with Warrior. There are just way too many conditions and cc being applied compared to pre-HoT, as well as more skills doing high burst of damage. Totally not ideal scenario for Warrior when survival skills have long rear end cool down.

Crimsonbeak
Nov 7, 2004

Aesis posted:

Yeah so basically, once you move up division (apart from Division 1 where you don't lose tier or points) you can just start mass losing to tank MMR (and still don't lose division), then start mass winning to move up division, repeat. If you care about PvP rank in leader board then this is a very bad thing to do, but if you only care about going up division then it's a plausible (but selfish) method.

Your MMR is shared between ranked and unranked. So what people are doing is they are just going in to unranked and losing there.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Crimsonbeak posted:

Your MMR is shared between ranked and unranked. So what people are doing is they are just going in to unranked and losing there.
Wow I thought it was separate :stare: That is dumb.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I stand by my rant about WTF were the developers who wrote and code-reviewed the ranking algorithms even loving thinking in light of this further information (ah ha ha I'm kidding myself about the code reviews aren't I?) and where the gently caress were the QAEs during this process. Actually, what TPM designed this? And why did their devs and QA not spot any of these loopholes?

Crimsonbeak
Nov 7, 2004

Visidan posted:

Guild Insignia have been added to Guild Armour 2 vendor in the guild hall, SFD peeps go check it out. The recipe itself is actually reasonable

Now you just need to hope and pray that you get the shards from mining your guild node.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Crimsonbeak posted:

Now you just need to hope and pray that you get the shards from mining your guild node.

I've gotten 8 in total, and I mine every single goddamn day. Cletus got like 12 in one day alone.

The worst part about the guild armour crafting isn't those shards, it's the fact a full set per armour type requires 240 crystalline ore.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kenshin posted:

I stand by my rant about WTF were the developers who wrote and code-reviewed the ranking algorithms even loving thinking in light of this further information (ah ha ha I'm kidding myself about the code reviews aren't I?) and where the gently caress were the QAEs during this process. Actually, what TPM designed this? And why did their devs and QA not spot any of these loopholes?

Sounds like standard QA testing (test intended functionality using a script).
They need to add in some ideas from security testing and test for unintended functionality and emergent exploits, you know, like people who actually play the game.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

The worst part about the guild armour crafting isn't those shards, it's the fact a full set per armour type requires 240 crystalline ore.

That's insane, you get maybe 15-20 per DS run.

Crimsonbeak
Nov 7, 2004

Aesis posted:

Wow I thought it was separate :stare: That is dumb.

I was wrong. A developer posted in the reddit thread that they are separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Not that it matters, you can still super tank your mmr at the start of each division.

• Locked thread