Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I love my rx100ii but I also have an slr so it's not my only camera. I bring it anytime I hike or travel though because it takes great photos and it's small.

If I was just getting into photography I would probably prefer a detachable lens system though as it offers more flexibility (not limited to one lens) but that's not to say you can't still take great photos with the rx. Someone in the landscape thread just posted some ridiculous photos in there with an rx100 so keep in mind that the camera isn't the limiting factor ... but digging through menus and settings in a point and shoot will slow you down versus having dedicated buttons on a body.

Just my two cents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ryand-Smith posted:

This is a a more lens related question but I could have sworn I saw something absurd like an 18-300 2.8 or something like that, do fast zooms even exist in that huge a range or any larger range than the 200-500, 20-70 or so?

You could do a Canon 35-350mm f/4-5.6L with a Metabones Speed Booster - that would get you to an equivalent range of f2.8-f4. That's the only way to get that kind of zoom range.

There's a variety of 24-70 lenses at f/2.8. One of those with a speed booster would get you to a 17-50 f2 equivalent lens. There's also the Sigma 24-35mm f2 lens, which would work out to be a 16-24mm f/1.4 with a speed booster. And there's also the Tamron 24-105 f/2.8, which would work out to be a 16-70mm f2 with a speed booster. But that's not as wide a zoom range as you asked.

There's pretty much nothing in the middle, it's really hard to make a zoom lens that fast over that wide a range, let alone while keeping a constant aperture. You're lucky to get f/4-5.6 and you're definitely lucky to get good optical quality.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 30, 2015

cats
May 11, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

You could do a Canon 35-350mm f/4-5.6L with a Metabones Speed Booster - that would get you to an equivalent range of f2.8-f4. That's the only way to get that kind of zoom range.

There's a variety of 24-70 lenses at f/2.8. One of those with a speed booster would get you to a 17-50 f2 equivalent lens. There's also the Sigma 24-35mm f2 lens, which would work out to be a 16-24mm f/1.4 with a speed booster. And there's also the Tamron 24-105 f/2.8, which would work out to be a 16-70mm f2 with a speed booster. But that's not as wide a zoom range as you asked.

There's pretty much nothing in the middle, it's really hard to make a zoom lens that fast over that wide a range, let alone while keeping a constant aperture. You're lucky to get f/4-5.6 and you're definitely lucky to get good optical quality.

Canon's also got a 28-300 f/3.5-5.6L which seems to be an update/replacement for the 35-350. Saw a dude shooting with it on a 5d3 at a show at a local dive bar, he let me play around with it a little bit and the combination was so huge and heavy that all I could think was "if I was carrying this and got mugged on my way home I could probably defend myself and still take pictures of the crime scene after."

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pianist On Strike posted:

Canon's also got a 28-300 f/3.5-5.6L which seems to be an update/replacement for the 35-350. Saw a dude shooting with it on a 5d3 at a show at a local dive bar, he let me play around with it a little bit and the combination was so huge and heavy that all I could think was "if I was carrying this and got mugged on my way home I could probably defend myself and still take pictures of the crime scene after."

Metabones has a list of lenses that are compatible with the Speed Booster to various degrees. I specifically said the 35-350 because it's on Metabones' autofocus-compatible list for the Speed Booster. The 28-300 isn't on that one, the "autofocus disabled" list, nor the "requires modification" list. So YMMV and good luck, but I wouldn't count on it autofocusing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 30, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Any good Cyber Monday gear deals?

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hey so I used to be big into film photography in the early aughts with a bunch of nikon and hasselblad gear (since sold off) but haven't really been active for more than 10 years.

What'd be a good camera to get me back in? My budget is flexible but I'm thinking no more than $1500 used. It has to be tripod mountable and have good low light performance. Other than that I'm flexible. Might even be open to a smaller non-slr camera as apparently some of them are really nice now and it might be fun to be able to (more easily) take a camera with me when I'm out and about.

Posted this question a while back and most people recommended micro 4/3rd setups.
The Sony DSC-RX100 and Fuji x100 were specifically recommended.

But can micro 4/3rds systems do portraiture and shallow depth of field?
It looks like they can't, really.

So what are my DSLR options then?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Micro 4/3 has a 75mm f/1.8 lens that would be fantastic for portraits.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Size is always a payoff, I think the M4/3 system is great if you need to have a small a camera as possible for logistical reason but the smaller you go with the sensor the worse performance you're going to get with regards to low light/noise, cropped focal lengths, and depth of field/aperture. That f/1.8 lens on a 2x crop camera is not going to give you the same results as a f/1.8 on a FF camera, even if you recompose the image so it fills the frame in the same way.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Next year some new Oly pro lenses will be announced, likely fast primes. Currently there's also the panny 42.5 f/1.2 or panny 25 f/1.4. The Oly 45 1.8 and Panny 25 1.7 are cheap as hell too.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Any camera can take any picture. :colbert:

That said, shallow DOF and its use in classical-style portraits is a particular strength of larger image sensors (either film or digital). For DSLRs, that means something from a manufacturer's "professional" level, with attendant costs.

At the cheap end, but by no means a bad camera in any way, is a second (or third, or fourth...) hand Canon 5D. The current new version is the Mark III, but you could find a Mark II or Mark I for considerably less. I'm pretty sure people have been flogging Mark I's in the Buy-and-Sell thread in the past little while, for prices around $500.

Nikon and Sony both have a back-catalogue of "full frame" DSLRs, and Pentax has announced they will release their first entry into that market "real soon now".

But, do you really *need* full-frame for the pictures you want to take? Are you setting up a studio? Will you be selling big-rear end prints of your work?

If your budget is still about $1500, and I'm assuming you already have some accessories like a tripod (all current cameras that aren't also phones are tripod-mountable), you've got a pretty nice range of options. A quick look at eBay suggests you could get a 5D Mark II plus a couple of lenses for that and have some cash left over.

Or, you could get a "prosumer" level APS-C DSLR, like a Canon 7D Mark I (about 5-6 years old at this point) plus a couple of lenses and have $500 left over to go hog wild with lighting.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I guess I should go ahead and post the obligatory Fuji recommendation, even though I don't have any Fuji ILCs myself. I've drooled over the X-Pro1 and X-T1/10 so much and I can tell you that they seem to be everyone's favorite cameras.

Oh, and since the post before this one was, incidentally, such a good setup for this pitch, PM me if you're interested in a 5Dmkii, 100mm macro, and 35mm f/2, all within your price range. I was just thinking about posting in the buy/sell thread.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Size is always a payoff, I think the M4/3 system is great if you need to have a small a camera as possible for logistical reason but the smaller you go with the sensor the worse performance you're going to get with regards to low light/noise, cropped focal lengths, and depth of field/aperture. That f/1.8 lens on a 2x crop camera is not going to give you the same results as a f/1.8 on a FF camera, even if you recompose the image so it fills the frame in the same way.

fair points, all

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
A lot of bodies these days have a portrait mode/scene that artificially blurs the background to simulate shallow DOF

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KEH's deal today is kind of hilarious

20% off BGN grade
40% off UGLY grade
80% off AS IS grade

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
OK, I have a friend looking for a DSLR (or equivalent) in the $3-400 range. He's previously shot Nikon film cameras. I'm obviously recommending he go used. Whats the best bang for buck there in the Nikon world?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
$400 should get you a D7000. He can probably use many if not all of his film lenses with it if he still has them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BANME.sh posted:

$400 should get you a D7000. He can probably use many if not all of his film lenses with it if he still has them.

Thanks. Pointing him that way.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
My black friday keh order finally shipped today, after being in "processing" status for almost two weeks. This ever happen with anyone before?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

My black friday keh order finally shipped today, after being in "processing" status for almost two weeks. This ever happen with anyone before?

Yes.

I also tend to get poo poo quality LN or EX lenses, but the BGN ones outperform what the rating system is so I don't even know anymore. I try not to buy from them anymore.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

Mine took a few extra days but that was because my debit card had changed and I accidentally used the old expiration date.

WugLyfe posted:

I also tend to get poo poo quality LN or EX lenses, but the BGN ones outperform what the rating system is so I don't even know anymore. I try not to buy from them anymore.

That's weird, they're usually fantastic about their ratings. I just had an EX lens arrive today and it looks pristine. BGN is almost always great too. What did you get?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I had to go round and round over Nikon 70-200 f/2.8s. They were all LN or EX and surprise surprise they were all unusably soft. So I got a new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and the thing is wwaaaayyyy sharper.

The BGN Tamron 90mm macro I got is aces, though.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I picked up a refurb 6d body for $700 by stacking coupons from the Halloween sale on the Canon site. My only lens is a 50mm f/1.8 that I've had for about 6 years and it's all I have ever shot with. I'm taking a trip to Tokyo in a few months and I'd like something for wider shots but I'm not sure what I should get. I'll probably just wind up renting something but some direction would be helpful.

I like using a prime and don't really know my way around a zoom lens so I was looking at Canon, Sigma, and Tamron's 35mm options.

I did find the Canon 17-40mm F/4 L and it looks impressive. Is there anything wrong with this lens that makes it such a bargain or is it just really barebones for an L?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

The Flying Milton posted:

I picked up a refurb 6d body for $700 by stacking coupons from the Halloween sale on the Canon site. My only lens is a 50mm f/1.8 that I've had for about 6 years and it's all I have ever shot with. I'm taking a trip to Tokyo in a few months and I'd like something for wider shots but I'm not sure what I should get. I'll probably just wind up renting something but some direction would be helpful.

I like using a prime and don't really know my way around a zoom lens so I was looking at Canon, Sigma, and Tamron's 35mm options.

I did find the Canon 17-40mm F/4 L and it looks impressive. Is there anything wrong with this lens that makes it such a bargain or is it just really barebones for an L?

If you want a 35mm F1.4 Canon recently released a new one so the previous version one is probably quite cheap on the used market. Another good option is the Sigma 35mm F1.4 ART.
If 50mm is what you know how to use why are you stepping down to 35mm? I would say you are better served with a 24-70 which is a great focal range for "touristy stuff". Good options here is the Canon 24-70 F2.8 version 1(the version 2 is quite a lot more expensive) or their 24-70 F4 with IS. Tamron has a 24-70 F2.8 with IS which is good.

As for the price of the Canon 17-40, it is simply a good deal. Its a good lens and you get a lot of bang for the buck. The other ultra wide angle lenses they offer (16-35 F2.8 or 16-35 F4) are slighly better and/or offer IS, but are twice the price.
I would stay away from a UWA if you don't have a specific vision in mind. It is difficult to create good/interesting photos at their wide ends, and at their narrow end they perform worse than a normalzoom 24-70 which is a lot more versatile.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 9, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Strobist is saying the Orbis is no more. So get your unwieldy $200 speedlight ring flash adapter for only $129 on amazon.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BANME.sh posted:

Yes. I ordered at 23:57 EST and my order arrived like Tuesday.

WugLyfe posted:

Their absurdly strict rating system is definitely starting to slip, they must have fired whatever :spergin: ran their warehouse.

That said it's still head and shoulders above anyone else, and head-shoulders-knees-and-toes above eBay.

There's never been a good reason to order anything but BGN. I busted my P67 55/4's filter ring a while back, it's still workable but it's tight to screw a filter in. I ordered a replacement on BF, my BGN model cost me $157 shipped. It has a single coating scratch on the front element. I originally picked my first one up for $100 because it had a bunch of light coating scratches (idiot seller scotch-taped a 58mm lens cap on a 77mm lens and it rode around in shipping), but I'm pretty satisfied with that as a replacement cost.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 11, 2015

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

If you want a 35mm F1.4 Canon recently released a new one so the previous version one is probably quite cheap on the used market. Another good option is the Sigma 35mm F1.4 ART.
If 50mm is what you know how to use why are you stepping down to 35mm? I would say you are better served with a 24-70 which is a great focal range for "touristy stuff". Good options here is the Canon 24-70 F2.8 version 1(the version 2 is quite a lot more expensive) or their 24-70 F4 with IS. Tamron has a 24-70 F2.8 with IS which is good.

As for the price of the Canon 17-40, it is simply a good deal. Its a good lens and you get a lot of bang for the buck. The other ultra wide angle lenses they offer (16-35 F2.8 or 16-35 F4) are slighly better and/or offer IS, but are twice the price.
I would stay away from a UWA if you don't have a specific vision in mind. It is difficult to create good/interesting photos at their wide ends, and at their narrow end they perform worse than a normalzoom 24-70 which is a lot more versatile.

I'll look into the 24-70mm f/2.8 L 1. It seems like it would be pretty solid. I'm not too terribly interested in anything ultra wide so that seems to be a more useful range. Now I guess I'll just have to find one and not break the bank!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Their absurdly strict rating system is definitely starting to slip, they must have fired whatever :spergin: ran their warehouse.

A year ago, I ran into 3-4 problems with their ratings system to the point where I haven't bothered to buy from them since. Ebay from Japanese camera stores has been cheaper and given me better results, ymmv.

edit: granted, KEH was awesome about the returns process, but it was still annoying

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Well my KEH order arrived today, BGN 105 3.5 black D lens for my Mamiya C220 and also a BGN prism finder. Both are in fantastic shape.

I am pretty excited to try out the 105 3.5 because it's apparently a heliar design. Gonna see what kind of swirly bokeys I can get out of it.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

BANME.sh posted:

Well my KEH order arrived today, BGN 105 3.5 black D lens for my Mamiya C220 and also a BGN prism finder. Both are in fantastic shape.

I am pretty excited to try out the 105 3.5 because it's apparently a heliar design. Gonna see what kind of swirly bokeys I can get out of it.

How's the prism finder? Thought about getting one for my 330, but heard it just makes the whole setup super heavy, and I kinda like composing on ground glass. It'd be easier to use with the goofy grip though...

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It's.... awkward haha

It's obviously darker than the ground glass (but apparently not as dark as the porrofinder), and granted, I am testing it out in my dim basement.

Holding it up to your eye while focusing and also keeping a finger near the shutter switch is awkward, though. I'm sure I'll probably only ever use it with a tripod.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BANME.sh posted:

With the above caveat I've noted nothing but gold stars from KEH. They eventually upgraded my broken GS645 to a working model and my BGN units have had nothing worse than coating damage or scratches in the enamel.

I love the prism on my Rolleiflex, reversed is awkward as crap but it's super accurate for focusing and dat Xenotar :swoon:

Post some pics with the Heliar. I've been mulling over the idea of getting a Medalist II converted before the Bald Mountain guy gets old and dies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Amazon is doing a "mystery" deal on a camera again. Basically it's unlisted at a discount and they drop hints all day long as to what it is.

They've included a snippet to a dpreview review which, once googled, seems to link to a Canon SL1 review.

So it looks like they're selling the Sl1 at $100 off if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZYB7E4K?ref=tsm_1_fb_s_amzn_300800769&linkId=19455528#dpr-review-summary-widget

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Post some pics with the Heliar. I've been mulling over the idea of getting a Medalist II converted before the Bald Mountain guy gets old and dies.

I probably will around christmas break when I get a chance to develop the film. I took some portraits of my parents this weekend so hopefully they turned out decent. I am horrible at focusing without a split focus screen.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

BonoMan posted:

Amazon is doing a "mystery" deal on a camera again. Basically it's unlisted at a discount and they drop hints all day long as to what it is.

They've included a snippet to a dpreview review which, once googled, seems to link to a Canon SL1 review.

So it looks like they're selling the Sl1 at $100 off if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZYB7E4K?ref=tsm_1_fb_s_amzn_300800769&linkId=19455528#dpr-review-summary-widget

Didn't they do this with the same camera last year as well?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

tau posted:

Didn't they do this with the same camera last year as well?

Yes indeedy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the reviews are even there from August.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend leaving on safari for his honeymoon in 2 weeks and he asked me about cameras and lenses. He's interested in general dad photography after they have kids, but really wants to get good stuff on his safari, so kind of trying to please opposite goals. Also money's not really an object for him.

Anyway, I told him to get a 7D2, the 18-55 kit and either the 70-300 or if he wanted to get stupid, look into renting a 100-400 once he's there. He wrote me back today and said he sister was going to loan him her T3i, kit, and 55-250. Considering he has no camera experience, I'm inclined to tell him that's just fine, but he specifically asked again about the big lens and I'm not sure what to tell him.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Huxley posted:

I have a friend leaving on safari for his honeymoon in 2 weeks and he asked me about cameras and lenses. He's interested in general dad photography after they have kids, but really wants to get good stuff on his safari, so kind of trying to please opposite goals. Also money's not really an object for him.

Anyway, I told him to get a 7D2, the 18-55 kit and either the 70-300 or if he wanted to get stupid, look into renting a 100-400 once he's there. He wrote me back today and said he sister was going to loan him her T3i, kit, and 55-250. Considering he has no camera experience, I'm inclined to tell him that's just fine, but he specifically asked again about the big lens and I'm not sure what to tell him.

55-250 is probably good enough. I like my STM version.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Huxley posted:

From the Canon thread a while ago. I have the 55 250 stm and a t3i.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I own this exact lens, got it grey import from Hong Kong cause it was $400 AUD otherwise, and I love it. It gives about as much reach as a 400L on a full frame, for way less cost. I find it excellent for bird shots, however, for some of the more skittish species, it's not enough.

Magpie headshot by me, on Flickr

Open that fully, thats at 250mm f/5.6 (wide open at 250). It's a nice lens. Don't mind the beak being blurry, I focused on his eye and thats just the range of the depth of field at 250mm/f5.6. If you check my flickr out, all of the bird shots are with this lens. I have a t3i but from what I understand, we have identical sensors.

Make sure you friend knows to tighten the aperture and push the iso if he uses it at 250, it was babies first big lens for me but it took me a while to get used to such a small dof even at f 5.6

Satin Bowerbird

Thats 1600 iso on a rainy day, f 8. Far from the unusable trash people would have you believe it is.

IMHO, its a nice lens and good for general dad photography and some bird/animal stuff, but if this is a safari, it does not have enough range unless the animals are close.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I brought my monopod on a safari and it made a world of difference especially at the long distances sometimes.

Oh and tell him to click click click, then set down the camera and look at it in real life. I would hate to only see a safari through a lens. It's a once in a lifetime trip for some so make sure to actually experience it in real life too.

300 on a crop should be enough for most scenarios. I only had my 70-200 2.8 on a canon crop body and it was fine. Honestly the biggest issue is light. Most safaris are driven in the morning and evening. Early mornings can be dim but usually okay. Evenings start bright and get too dark to shoot with any usable iso, basically pitch black.

God I want to go on another safari ... :smith: