Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Pirate Jet posted:

Skunkrocker you need to realize at some point that this thread is literally only alive because you can't stop having meltdowns in it solely because people who didn't like the game exist.

Post of the year. Give this man an award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LORD OF BUTT posted:

HOW ABOUT THAT MIAMI MUTILATOR HUH GUYS

LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT THE MIAMI MUTILATOR NOW

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I think the game Broseph was having a meltdown over was 12 is Better Than 6 which looks like Hotline Wild West.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
While I wouldn't doubt that some fan remakes of official maps could do it better, it'd take a while and several dozen attempts that go too far in the other direction and make it a cakewalk. By that point, I'd get sick of them even if it was better than the original. I'd much rather that people not bother with that at all and simply make their own levels and wow us that way since there are bound to be people out there who have some great ideas for a level layout. I'm still excited for these levels, just slightly less so.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I think the game Broseph was having a meltdown over was 12 is Better Than 6 which looks like Hotline Wild West.

That looks mildly interesting, kind of MadWorld in art but Hotline in game play?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like hotline miami 2 thanks for reading

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A Bystander posted:

While I wouldn't doubt that some fan remakes of official maps could do it better, it'd take a while and several dozen attempts that go too far in the other direction and make it a cakewalk. By that point, I'd get sick of them even if it was better than the original. I'd much rather that people not bother with that at all and simply make their own levels and wow us that way since there are bound to be people out there who have some great ideas for a level layout. I'm still excited for these levels, just slightly less so.

Well, that's fine, nobody's going to make you play them. You can just wait until something good comes out, which won't be after the editor first releases. This will also be true of maps that aren't fan remakes. It'll all be on Steamworks, and you don't actually have to experiment with bad levels just to wait for that evolution to happen. I wouldn't even play it for the first couple weeks, unless you want to explore every single variation of maps shaped like dicks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I will play Hondo Miami 2

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Instead of talking about how there is a cool new game that takes after the design of hotline miami, its time to repost the same tired gifs of the glitches one guy got once or that time when he TOTALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE loving DIED I WAS AROUND THE GODDAMN CORNER and complain about how the game is too different from first and also at the same time a complete rehash of the same game

this thread is pathetic, somebody gas this poo poo already

you should really get some preparation h at this point your rear end is clearly chapped from it getting whipped so many times

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Coolguye posted:

you should really get some preparation h at this point your rear end is clearly chapped from it getting whipped so many times

What does this even mean? Why are you projecting your own butthole on other posters?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

I tried it last night and its actually pretty bad. The visuals are great and the gunplay is kinda cool cause you have to cock your revolver before every shot with rmb or bolt your rifle, but it just leads to you hiding behind corners and shooting everybody when they come into view. Enemies don't shoot you until they are on screen and you can take a little bit of damage so it plays a little bit different than Hotline Miami but not in a way that feels like a marked improvement.

There's a knife that you always carry with you, but its only good for stealth killing unaware or sleeping enemies since you can't reach far enough to slice them from the front. If you try to bait them towards you you'll be swinging at nothing as they shoot you dead. There's also a couple levels where you exclusively use a melee weapon but only on those two levels can you actively use melee.

It's a decent game on its own, but if you go into it expecting Hotline Miami you'll be disappointed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

What does this even mean? Why are you projecting your own butthole on other posters?

MY BUTTHOLE IS ETERNAL

but your butthole is shriveled and weaeping

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mods please rename this thread the butthole comparison and discussion thread and move it to gbs tia

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

I tried it last night and its actually pretty bad. The visuals are great and the gunplay is kinda cool cause you have to cock your revolver before every shot with rmb or bolt your rifle, but it just leads to you hiding behind corners and shooting everybody when they come into view. Enemies don't shoot you until they are on screen and you can take a little bit of damage so it plays a little bit different than Hotline Miami but not in a way that feels like a marked improvement.

There's a knife that you always carry with you, but its only good for stealth killing unaware or sleeping enemies since you can't reach far enough to slice them from the front. If you try to bait them towards you you'll be swinging at nothing as they shoot you dead. There's also a couple levels where you exclusively use a melee weapon but only on those two levels can you actively use melee.

It's a decent game on its own, but if you go into it expecting Hotline Miami you'll be disappointed.

Westerado had a similar shooting mechanic (one button to pull out the gun, one to cock the hammer, one to fire, and needing to reload each cylinder individually afterward) and it ruled because everyone dies in one hit and it played with the 2d perspective for lining up shots and you used hats as health so there was a risk/reward system of going for a quick and easy gut shot or trying to shoot off someone's hat at the risk of getting shot as you line it up.

Westerado is rad as hell and everyone should play it.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Sleeveless posted:

Westerado had a similar shooting mechanic (one button to pull out the gun, one to cock the hammer, one to fire, and needing to reload each cylinder individually afterward) and it ruled because everyone dies in one hit and it played with the 2d perspective for lining up shots and you used hats as health so there was a risk/reward system of going for a quick and easy gut shot or trying to shoot off someone's hat at the risk of getting shot as you line it up.

Westerado is rad as hell and everyone should play it.

Sounds like 2D Receiver, but better

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

Mods please rename this thread the butthole comparison and discussion thread and move it to gbs tia

haha you are probated

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lacedaemonius posted:

Sounds like 2D Receiver, but better

Also you can pull out/cock your gun at any time in any conversation and every NPC has a unique reaction to both, up to and including completely changing how different quests play out.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Well, that's fine, nobody's going to make you play them. You can just wait until something good comes out, which won't be after the editor first releases. This will also be true of maps that aren't fan remakes. It'll all be on Steamworks, and you don't actually have to experiment with bad levels just to wait for that evolution to happen. I wouldn't even play it for the first couple weeks, unless you want to explore every single variation of maps shaped like dicks.

Yeah, I know what to expect from what's in store. Though dick maps would be good for a five minute laugh, I guess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

"These lovely levels with bad design were the developers intent!" is not a good argument, by the way. Like...The Phantom Menace was 100% George Lucas' intended film, but it's still a piece of total horseshit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please slay this zombie thread

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I like Hotline Miami 2.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

This disappointing sequel is so forgettable that there's literally nothing to discuss until the level editor hits.

I do disagree. I think this was a great sequel and the Hard Mode was ultra challenging enough (with some levels being a total bitch). Once you get the hang of the game you can beat ALL levels of Normal without being scared (firing and forgetting) and when you blend that with the music/sometimes the story it becomes a beautiful experience.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 6, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I only even find it disappointing in comparison to the first. The first was a tight, well designed game with awesome music and style. This was bigger, but it wasn't better, and most of the changes they made actively took away from it, and there are just baffling choices with enemy placement. Like it would still be #10 on a top ten games list from me this year, but the first one was #1 the year it came out.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think offscreen enemies actually worked OK in the beard levels for creating a different gameplay experience. It meant you had to play cautiously and plan ahead, but you also had a super powerful weapon that was effective at those ranges.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

the music was also p good

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think offscreen enemies actually worked OK in the beard levels for creating a different gameplay experience. It meant you had to play cautiously and plan ahead, but you also had a super powerful weapon that was effective at those ranges.

If they were only in the Beard levels I'd have been fine with it, but they were everywhere.

And yeah, the music is pretty dope.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'll assume that all of this "enemies off-screen" complains are for Hard Mode, because on Normal Mode off-screen enemies are Combo Extenders©.

Srsly any game that allows me to do this is a Good Game in my book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-SsRWqTNQw

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

"These lovely levels with bad design were the developers intent!" is not a good argument, by the way. Like...The Phantom Menace was 100% George Lucas' intended film, but it's still a piece of total horseshit.

Um. Okay. I mean not a lot of people are disagreeing with you here. Are you lonely, Joker? Do you just need someone to talk to? Cause we're here. You don't have to try and start an argument with someone over nothing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"are you lonely", asks monomaniac arguably responsible for dead thread's continued existence

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Real bad thread but HLM soundtrack continues to make me find good music I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. Also it's a good game

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

"are you lonely", asks monomaniac arguably responsible for dead thread's continued existence

Level editor beta releases in six days! :toot:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is it possible to report an entire thread?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Butt Ghost posted:

Start here and work your way down?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Butt Ghost posted:

a butt hurt butt ghost

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skunkrocker posted:

Um. Okay. I mean not a lot of people are disagreeing with you here. Are you lonely, Joker? Do you just need someone to talk to? Cause we're here. You don't have to try and start an argument with someone over nothing.

Disagreeing with you is not trying to start an argument. What you just did with this post, however, namely being super condescending, is in fact trying to start an argument. But I don't want to argue. My point was that just because something can be 100% successful at following an artists vision doesn't mean it can't also be a failure at being good. They are not mutually exclusive. When we say that the levels could be fixed, we don't mean fixed as in made more in line with the developers vision for what the game should be, we mean fixed in that they could be made more fun to play, because if a game isn't fun what the developer wanted doesn't matter.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Disagreeing with you is not trying to start an argument. What you just did with this post, however, namely being super condescending, is in fact trying to start an argument. But I don't want to argue.

I want to point out that I honestly thought you were going on about something else entirely, so I will apologize. That said, I'm condescending? Take a look at your post history, man. Anyway, I think you missed my original point but you don't want to argue so I'mma let it go. You're a cool dude.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Eaten by Tigers posted:

I don't regret making this

Dude.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Skunkrocker posted:

I want to point out that I honestly thought you were going on about something else entirely, so I will apologize. That said, I'm condescending? Take a look at your post history, man. Anyway, I think you missed my original point but you don't want to argue so I'mma let it go. You're a cool dude.

Ugh, you are awful. Just stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hotline Miami 2 is an improvement over the original in every way, including level design and gameplay.

• Locked thread