Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm trying to do an Ideas Guy run in the random new world but I've hit a bit of a snag. The income from a 3 development province is too low to afford colonies. So am I supposed to start near native opm, gobble them up one by one and then start colonising? Or is there some other method I'm overlooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

I'm trying to do an Ideas Guy run in the random new world but I've hit a bit of a snag. The income from a 3 development province is too low to afford colonies. So am I supposed to start near native opm, gobble them up one by one and then start colonising? Or is there some other method I'm overlooking?

Set your colonial growth slider halfway and grow solely from colonist ticks. You should have enough money for that and in the beginning the settler growth is almost negligible anyways. Just be wary of the -settlers from tropical/arid/arctic.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sorced posted:

Set your colonial growth slider halfway and grow solely from colonist ticks. You should have enough money for that and in the beginning the settler growth is almost negligible anyways. Just be wary of the -settlers from tropical/arid/arctic.

I didn't even know colonies get ticks. Shows how many game mechanics in this are still a mystery to me. thanks!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

Start in the mountains adjacent to all the Aztec nations in Mexico. Your lone starter province has a high chance of gold, beat up the Aztecs and take their five (!) gold mines too.
Edit: also don't slot your custom +colonist ideas until second or so. You want to concentrate on expanding and conquering natives for the first couple decades, you're simply not going to have enough land and income to fund colonies right out of the gate.

VDay posted:

I haven't dug super deep into it yet, but after ~150 years with estates playing as a fairly large nation I'm liking them. People who have experimented and done the math properly can go into more detail but so far I haven't had any trouble keeping all 3 estates happy by just constantly giving them only enough land to hit the minimum 10/10/20 cutoff. Merchants get every trade port and 10+ dev province if they need it for the minimum (this is the hardest one usually because of the 10 dev/5 TP requirement), clergy are almost always given newly conquered lands so that they convert faster and rebel less, and military gets forts and other scraps just to get the manpower recovery bonus (if you want to min/max give them the highest manpower provinces, but :effort:).

The 25% autonomy seems harsh at first but it's really not that bad because it basically boils down to you exchanging money for much more useful things like trade power, missionary strength, and manpower. Also keep in mind that you can take provinces away from estates relatively painlessly once the year or whatever the time limit is up. Give a bunch of newly conquered land to the clergy, convert it all, redistribute it to the other estates. Getting a potential +4% missionary strength bonus (with the advisor) on any province is pretty huge in some cases, especially early game when you haven't hit admin 8 yet and haven't taken religious.

My initial impressions on Estates is they're not too bad to manage and kind of an interesting mechanic with two exceptions:
1) burghers/merchants estate wants 20% of my nation but is super picky in taking only 10+ development or 5 trade power provinces. That really fucks over early game for some nations that don't have many high development or trade provinces, it doesn't really make sense to me why the burghers are most restricted in which provinces they take like that.
2) no good way to actively lower Influence that I've found. You're pretty much reliant on events or taking provinces away (which lowers loyalty which if it dips below 30 all that estate's provinces get +10 RR).

I guess I like estates they probably need a few balance tweaks though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pellisworth posted:

Start in the mountains adjacent to all the Aztec nations in Mexico. Your lone starter province has a high chance of gold, beat up the Aztecs and take their five (!) gold mines too.

I'm not sure how I can estimate which mountains have a chance for gold and which ones don't in a random new World. Do the aztec-cultured random nations have a higher chance for gold mines, too?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

I'm not sure how I can estimate which mountains have a chance for gold and which ones don't in a random new World. Do the aztec-cultured random nations have a higher chance for gold mines, too?

I missed the part about you doing random new world, in that case I'm really not sure.

You might double check the Ideas Guy achievement even works with RNW

Edit: I checked and it does count with RNW. You might just wanna do a few restarts, pick a mountain province adjacent to some natives and hope for gold. Otherwise wait until mil tech 4 and you can start fighting them anyway but you'll have a lot slower start.

I recommend for your custom ideas something like

+10% Discipline, +20% Army Morale starting traditions
+20% Production Efficiency or -0.20 yearly inflation
+2 Colonists
etc

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 3, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think taking provinces away is a fine way to lower influence. If you do it right, they won't even get that mad about it, you just gotta plan a bit. Before Cossacks came out I went and did a few blobby games because I thought they'd be super tedious with estates, but I've got a 1500 development country now and estates in it aren't any more complicated than they were when I started. Since I'm expanding into heathen land now and it doesn't inherit them when I conquer it might make it a bit easier there though.

I do think I kind of agree about the autonomy being too much; there are enough potential penalties to worry about already that it feels kind of needless. I guess it makes sense to represent them actually wanting land though.

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Before you start a real game, create a random OPM nation, click on the trade good icon and hover your mouse over empty provinces. It will show the percentage chance for each trade good (this is new since the patch.) That's how I belatedly learned that Siberia no longer has a chance at copper.

Has anyone had issues where your allies never ask you to join their wars?
I started a custom nation in eastern Siberia. I allied the Siberian Tribal nation there (Burynsomething) as well as Korea. The aforementioned was only allied to me but they decided to attack a blobby Mongolia and its vassal without any help. They got annexed in the process. I made sure to not make them a protectorate for the very reason I wanted to keep them around if they got in trouble. Korea has been in multiple wars and despite good relations they never ask for my help either.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I was kinda hoping that a plutocratic coup could eventually transition me to a republic, but it looks like all that happens is they do is sit on their asses after seizing power.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Blackluck posted:

Has anyone had issues where your allies never ask you to join their wars?
I started a custom nation in eastern Siberia. I allied the Siberian Tribal nation there (Burynsomething) as well as Korea. The aforementioned was only allied to me but they decided to attack a blobby Mongolia and its vassal without any help. They got annexed in the process. I made sure to not make them a protectorate for the very reason I wanted to keep them around if they got in trouble. Korea has been in multiple wars and despite good relations they never ask for my help either.
If you're manually managing relations with them, did you check the "I will join your offensive wars" box?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
New dev diary on pricing of the expansions.

It's interesting seeing them list army templates as a major feature, I guess it took a lot of effort to make.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I remember seeing a lot of moaning on the Paradox forums and some on the EUIV reddit when Cossacks came out (I was looking for all the RNW pics to see what people got) and it is nice that Paradox gave a full response. The price point for Cossacks is entirely fair imo. I've paid more for less, and very very rarely paid less for more. I know I am going to play this game for probably some 50-100 hours before the next expansion comes out, and the features all work. Feels like value to me.

I really appreciate the transparency in the reasoning behind things that you get from Paradox though.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

I posted about this a couple days ago: does the 'trick' where you cut off stuff with vassals no longer work, or is the Caspian just loving things up somehow?

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
So that liberty desire relative power thing started happening again, and now won't go away! Why is this happening? Am I missing something?
My army is at 149 and my navy at 135, so I'm way more powerful than any of my colonies.

Edit: I have 1464 total development, and my next nearest vassal has 338, so It's not that either.

kukrunkarmaskin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 3, 2015

az
Dec 2, 2005

VDay posted:

I haven't dug super deep into it yet, but after ~150 years with estates playing as a fairly large nation I'm liking them. People who have experimented and done the math properly can go into more detail but so far I haven't had any trouble keeping all 3 estates happy by just constantly giving them only enough land to hit the minimum 10/10/20 cutoff. Merchants get every trade port and 10+ dev province if they need it for the minimum (this is the hardest one usually because of the 10 dev/5 TP requirement), clergy are almost always given newly conquered lands so that they convert faster and rebel less, and military gets forts and other scraps just to get the manpower recovery bonus (if you want to min/max give them the highest manpower provinces, but :effort:).

The 25% autonomy seems harsh at first but it's really not that bad because it basically boils down to you exchanging money for much more useful things like trade power, missionary strength, and manpower. Also keep in mind that you can take provinces away from estates relatively painlessly once the year or whatever the time limit is up. Give a bunch of newly conquered land to the clergy, convert it all, redistribute it to the other estates. Getting a potential +4% missionary strength bonus (with the advisor) on any province is pretty huge in some cases, especially early game when you haven't hit admin 8 yet and haven't taken religious.

How do you manage to redistribute estates? I tried that last night in my France game, all my estates are seriously over minimum lands but every province that I could take from them would drop them by up to 15% loyalty and into the negative and I really can't seem to get their loyalty up to save my life.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

KoldPT posted:

I posted about this a couple days ago: does the 'trick' where you cut off stuff with vassals no longer work, or is the Caspian just loving things up somehow?

I think it's just an issue of needing adjacent cores.

Before Cossacks when I was doing that strategy I had Persia as a vassal and had to snake north of the Caspian and down through central Asia to continue conquering east of Persia since you need a neighboring core to 1) take a province in a peace deal then 2) core it.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I think it's just an issue of needing adjacent cores.

Before Cossacks when I was doing that strategy I had Persia as a vassal and had to snake north of the Caspian and down through central Asia to continue conquering east of Persia since you need a neighboring core to 1) take a province in a peace deal then 2) core it.

I suppose I can try that after I eat Iraq. Thanks.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

So that liberty desire relative power thing started happening again, and now won't go away! Why is this happening? Am I missing something?
My army is at 149 and my navy at 135, so I'm way more powerful than any of my colonies.

Edit: I have 1464 total development, and my next nearest vassal has 338, so It's not that either.

I think "relative power" is a measure of the power of all your subjects versus you.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

az posted:

How do you manage to redistribute estates? I tried that last night in my France game, all my estates are seriously over minimum lands but every province that I could take from them would drop them by up to 15% loyalty and into the negative and I really can't seem to get their loyalty up to save my life.

That almost sounds like a bug or something, are you sure you're reading the tooltip right? I just checked and taking away some random province from the clergy in my game gives me a 0.3 loyalty hit. I would think France is big enough that taking away a single province wouldn't immediately tank an estate's loyalty.

If that's not the case then I would think that giving them a different similarly-developed province would give back the same amount of loyalty that you're taking away.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Another question, has anyone given colonies to an Estate that then turn into a Colonial Nation? Like if I were to start passing out Australia to the nobility and Australian France gets created, is Aussie France stuck with those states being controlled by the nobility, and might my nobility get pissed because they suddenly have fewer provinces?

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think "relative power" is a measure of the power of all your subjects versus you.

That's how it's calculated for vassals, but for colonies it's per colony. Also the value is different for each of my colonies, it just feels miscalculated by some factor.
Oh well, they don't seem to be starting wars anyway since my army is big.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

That's how it's calculated for vassals, but for colonies it's per colony. Also the value is different for each of my colonies, it just feels miscalculated by some factor.
Oh well, they don't seem to be starting wars anyway since my army is big.

Could it be that the high-desire colonies are allied with one another and are thus calculating the combined power of this alliance versus you?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So I think the best way to manage horde unity is to take territory without razing or coring it immediately. Instead, you keep it in reserve for razing when your unity gets low enough to get the full benefit, because any horde unity you get over 100 is wasted. You can deal with the overextension by increasing autonomy and giving the uncored land to your tribes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hotfix 1.14.1 is out: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hotfix-1-14-1-checksum-e78b.894642/

- Nerfed Putting out System Event for Burghers
- Fixed a Burgher event that could trigger without Burgher owned provinces despite requiring that to work.
- Province Conversion Mission should not target Dhimmi provinces.
- Pope can no longer use interaction to send envoy to the pope.
- Fixed RNW country names not saved properly.
- Reduced loyalty impact for revoking provinces from estates and estates not having enough provinces assigned.
- Fixed bad province color in tile that would mess up regions, areas and trade nodes in worlds using that tile.
- Fixed Bug in Tile Mef 2 that would mess up pathfinding and regions/tradenodes/areas in all worlds using that tile.
- Tengri_local_plight modifier will no longer apply a country level tax reduction in each province it exists totaly removing all tax income for a Tengri Country.
- Fixed a very nasty CTD that resulted in saves being deleted.
- Monarch Generals can no longer accidentally turn into regular Generals when loading a save game.
- Fixed achievements being disabled when loading Ironman games saved with previous version of the game.
- There is now a Backup.eu4 copy of prior save for local saves and CloudBackup.eu4 copy of prior save for cloud saves (meaning that if game CTDs during save, you can recover save).
- Fixed supported_version disappearing from Mod when uploading.
- Forming a new nation no longer breaks achievements.
- Fixed exploit: you can no longer call allies into wars without spending favors or promising territory.
- Fixed CTD: game does not crash anymore when you hover over the Siege Won Effects text for some rebels.
- Memory optimization to remedy GUI elements "disappearing" after playing for a few hours.
- Revoke Elector peace treaty, Form Personal Union peace treaty and Concede Colonial Region peace treaty now gives aggressive expansion again.
- Fixed not being able to move capital and add seats to parliament due the estates even though The Cossacks DLC is not enabled.
- Added province null check in GetFullDescription for province modifiers.
- Tweaked Zones of Control to work more like they did before, with no free wandering around fort, but with additional logic to still try and cut down on weird paths.
- Forts can no longer control territory in countries whose owner is at war with the fort province's owner. Note that this only applies to ownership, so for example if Poland is at war with Lithuania, forts in Poland cannot project a ZoC over Lithuanian-owned land, but if Poland takes control of a Lithuanian fort it can then project a ZoC in Lithuanian land despite being controlled by Poland. This should fix the issues with units starting 'stuck' because they were in a ZoC when war was declared.
- Fixed useless go to siege view icon appearing in unit interface.
- Fixed selecting army in a siege sometimes selecting the siege instead.
- Fixed an issues where forts from the Cossacks Content Pack would not appear..
- Fixed issue with some heirs refusing to grow up due to wrongly set birth date.
- Reduced size of rebels somewhat in countries that don't have large forcelimits (huge empires still get the same amount as before).

e: Not sure about the exact numbers for the loyalty buff/nerf but the province I checked right before that would cost me 0.3 loyalty to take away now only costs 0.1. A 20 development center of trade only costs me 1.0 loyalty to take away from the merchants.

e2: Dismissing events still unpauses the game for me despite the fact that I have the one option turned off and it used to work but stopped at some point. Wiiiiiiiiiiz he;lp

VDay fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 3, 2015

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

Werewhale posted:

Could it be that the high-desire colonies are allied with one another and are thus calculating the combined power of this alliance versus you?

They are indeed allied with each other, but the Relative Power value displayed is different for each of them, between 64 and 98 percent. Also I'm pretty sure I had this same thing happen back when I only had one colony.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

VDay posted:

- Pope can no longer use interaction to send envoy to the pope.

This should've been bolded because :paradox:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

quote:

- Tweaked Zones of Control to work more like they did before, with no free wandering around fort, but with additional logic to still try and cut down on weird paths.

:peanut:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I really hope they add a way to save/share RNW seeds soon.

E: Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the complete relaunch of the game thing now.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 3, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If you achievements were broken before the patch the saves are marked as "edited" so you can't more :(

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The downside of gaining morale when you win:

It's blocked by the box but my army shattered and ran to Nantes. With a slightly better dice roll I probably would've won that battle and eventually won the war but French morale immediately filled back up and wiped my whole 64 regiment army.

E: There's also an allied-in-war Brittany fort in Anjou so I don't even see how the French ran to Nantes because they ran into its zone of control when they walked into Armor and right past it when they walked into Nantes. Hopefully the hotfix deals with that? I don't understand ZoC. I assume it's because they have a fort in Normandy but I don't get why that makes them able to ignore the fort in Anjou.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 3, 2015

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Trujillo posted:

The downside of gaining morale when you win:

It's blocked by the box but my army shattered and ran to Nantes. With a slightly better dice roll I probably would've won that battle and eventually won the war but French morale immediately filled back up and wiped my whole 64 regiment army.

E: There's also an allied-in-war Brittany fort in Anjou so I don't even see how the French ran to Nantes because they ran into its zone of control when they walked into Armor and right past it when they walked into Nantes. Hopefully the hotfix deals with that? I don't understand ZoC. I assume it's because they have a fort in Normandy but I don't get why that makes them able to ignore the fort in Anjou.

It used to be that if you walked into a fort zoc, you could only move into the fort or back out. On Cossacks release they changed it so that if you entered a fort's zoc, you could go anywhere inside of that zoc or something. But it sounds like it just got switched back in the hotfix

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Little Abigail posted:

Whoever said there was no new comet option was wrong. Forget all the bugs, DLC redeemed.

Yesssssssss the DLC does include a Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks reference.

Although I would have preferred "crick in our dick." But this suits me just fine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kersch posted:

It used to be that if you walked into a fort zoc, you could only move into the fort or back out. On Cossacks release they changed it so that if you entered a fort's zoc, you could go anywhere inside of that zoc or something. But it sounds like it just got switched back in the hotfix

I kind of liked the intended Cossacks zoc mechanics, but fixing the bugs is more important.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Little Abigail posted:

Whoever said there was no new comet option was wrong. Forget all the bugs, DLC redeemed.

I'm kind of bummed that I can't sacrifice a human heart to appease it anymore.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lori posted:

Yeah I was kind of hoping the dialogue and selections would just keep getting longer and longer until it became a scroll box

EDIT: loving sweet, since the hotfix any game I start instantly crashes me to desktop. Deleted local content and reinstalling, hope that fixes it.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 3, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That was a drat quick hotfix for some of the more annoying issues. Really regardless of the mechanics I like or dislike Paradox does a good job at keeping this game alive and fun. People who complain about DLC pricing need to realize that an expansion is like 6 months of work that somehow need to be paid.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

That was a drat quick hotfix for some of the more annoying issues. Really regardless of the mechanics I like or dislike Paradox does a good job at keeping this game alive and fun. People who complain about DLC pricing need to realize that an expansion is like 6 months of work that somehow need to be paid.

Pay someone? For continued release of content?

Hahahahahha are you crazy or what

EDIT: Whelp, I deleted all content and reinstalled and it still crashes when I try to start as any country.

Guess I'm done until that's fixed :(

sstrickl
Feb 16, 2011

Lori posted:

I actually got the human heart text and did not get the devil's kith and kin one in my game. I was playing as a Norse High American custom nation in NA, perhaps you get slightly different choices based off tech or something else? My culture was Danish, so probably not that. :shrug:

e: And I was definitely getting hit by the disappearing UI elements after long play bug, so I'm glad to see that's in the patch. :toot:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sstrickl posted:

I actually got the human heart text and did not get the devil's kith and kin one in my game. I was playing as a Norse High American custom nation in NA, perhaps you get slightly different choices based off tech or something else? My culture was Danish, so probably not that. :shrug:

nah that's pretty much peak Danish, tear your beating heart out while chain smoking and eating pickled fish and pastries

GreyPowerVan posted:

Pay someone? For continued release of content?

Hahahahahha are you crazy or what

Yeah it's great that they extend the replayability of the game, I get tens of hours at least out of each DLC.

Though doing some sort of season pass would be cool for when they eventually release EU567 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Man, playing as a horde is pretty drat fun. I started a game as Jianzhou because I never really played in the China region (other than a Japan game long ago) and you can just expand so fast.

It's 1461 and I'm already large, and I've won a defensive war against Ming despite them having more than twice the number of troops. Granted, I do need some manpower to come back, but war is just too much fun.

Forming Manchu turns you confucian, but I'm assuming I could just incite some Tengri rebels to flip back like with any other religion. Taking the decision gives cores on a chunk of Ming land which is pretty nice. No sense in doing it until I'm good and ready to fight them though.

Razing all those provinces also let me tech up to mil tech 4 long before anyone else.

• Locked thread