Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

I came in ready to poo poo all over him for that, but he's not wholly wrong. According to the NFPA, the most common causes of house fires are, in order:

1. Cooking (42%)
2. Brush/grass/forest fire (37%)
3. Home heating system
4. Kid playing with fire
5. Arson
T-6. Lightning
T-6. Wiring and lighting
8. Smoking
9. Candles

Having the FD show up to put out an actual fire should hardly be considered an inconvenience, especially so if you live in a multi-unit dwelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

Having the FD show up to put out an actual fire should hardly be considered an inconvenience, especially so if you live in a multi-unit dwelling.

The inconvenience isn't having the FD come (although since it turned out to be a false alarm, it was in this case). The inconvenience comes because you failed to take basic precautions and loving set something on fire in the first place. Yes, I will certainly look down on anyone who sets a fire (or comes very very close, enough to trip the alarm) while cooking breakfast. You are not competent to live on your own at that point, sorry!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I think you can be both really happy that they've come to make sure you don't suffocate in polyester fumes while everything you own turns to wet plastic dust, and still be pissed off at the dumb prick who was too lazy to get out of bed to satisfy his 2 AM nic fit.

Also you can generate silly amounts of smoke while cooking and still be nowhere near what it takes to start a fire.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Ikantski posted:

a) Mincome would be impractical to roll out all at once because of the sheer amount of money needed ($700b or 3 full years of federal tax revenue to pay every canadian $20k). Why not take the first step by mincoming parents? You get the additional economic relief of helping them get back to work and you can prove that writing cheques to millionaires is more efficient than setting up a bureaucracy to means test every parent (twice because they're already tested by income tax).

b) It does take care of the tax problem. UCCB mails you a cheque every month whether you have a job or not. It does count as income. If you don't have a job, you're in the minimum tax bracket and don't pay any tax on it. If you make 100k a year from your job, you pay the 100k tax rate on that extra UCCB income. Or looking at it another way, it helps offset the other tax you pay. It's better to pay it to people monthly than annually though because uh canadians and money.

c) You improve it from there. Make tax progression sharper, add seniors to the recipients, cut welfare, add everybody, cut pensions, increase the amount.

If you restrict it to people over 18 only you are looking at a cost of 560 billion or so right now(at 20k a person which is fairly resonable). You would have to start smaller though you're right.

Would you raise minimum exemptions in that case? You would need to get all the provinces on board and make it 20k across Canada in that case, especially if you want to push the rich in higher tax brackets. I would almost go as far to do it Bi-Weekly, 770 dollars bi-weekly is a decent standard of living in some places.

It would be interesting to model, but make it a true progression curve. Make the minimum exemption 20k. Then start with 15% on the first 40k and increase by 2% every 10k you go up, capping it at 60%? It would interesting to model and find what the balance would be. You would want to keep and maybe even raise GST back upto 7% and remove some of the exemptions to get back the money that people all of a sudden have and are spending. Cut Welfare, cut the billion tax credits, maybe roll municipal taxes into the year tax forms, cut EI(why would you need it if you are always guaranteed money), simplify taxes completely. I would keep CPP, but cut OAS/GIS. Seniors should get enough through CPP/Mincome to live pretty steady plus whatever they get from private pension money.

It's such a radical shift and you would have to reform so much that's why I think no one has touched it. Plus it would bring out a lot of the "People getting ma tax dollars :bahgawd: " crowd pretty hardcore, but its such a better system than Welfare.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 3, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

I think you can be both really happy that they've come to make sure you don't suffocate in polyester fumes while everything you own turns to wet plastic dust, and still be pissed off at the dumb prick who was too lazy to get out of bed to satisfy his 2 AM nic fit.

Also you can generate silly amounts of smoke while cooking and still be nowhere near what it takes to start a fire.

Indeed, that's why there a fan thingy above that large magic box what makes things hot.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

The inconvenience isn't having the FD come (although since it turned out to be a false alarm, it was in this case). The inconvenience comes because you failed to take basic precautions and loving set something on fire in the first place. Yes, I will certainly look down on anyone who sets a fire (or comes very very close, enough to trip the alarm) while cooking breakfast. You are not competent to live on your own at that point, sorry!

PT6A posted:

Indeed, that's why there a fan thingy above that large magic box what makes things hot.

It seems you have found the trade off of living in a multi-unit residence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

It seems you have found the trade off of living in a multi-unit residence.

Yeah, pretty much. It's actually one of my biggest fears that one of the imbeciles that lives around here might do something stupid and cause some level of destruction to my apartment or its contents through no fault of my own.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Mine doesn't vent outside :confused:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Your hood fan just recirculates air in your apartment/house? That seems like a really bad idea and I can't imagine it's up to code.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

You uh, might want to get that fixed then since its a huge fire risk.

Please tell me your dryer and bathroom fans at least vent to outside.

e: Is this senate member leaving the Conservative caucus one of the good ones or bad ones?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

God forbid we expect people living by themselves to be minimally competent at basic life skills such as cooking, right?

Uhhhhh minimally competent is exactly what you don't want. People who are minimally competent tend to suffer from illusory superiority and overreach, making mistakes like causing fires or posting on the SomethingAwful forums.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The wiring on the 220v plug looks original, but the stove backs on the inside of the house and as best as I can tell there's never been an exterior vent. I hate the sound of fans anyway so it's basically never turned on; we just don't cook smokey things and if someone screws up then we open a window.

Of course, this was the same house where the jackfuck imbecile homeowner installed a dryer vent using 4" plastic flex venting all the way to the exterior wall (no), run in-common with a bathroom fan (noooo) that didn't have a damper to stop it from blowing air towards the dryer (nooooooo) and the whole thing was packed with a giant lint wad a foot long that I honestly thought was a sweater someone had jammed in there (what in several fucks). I'm not entirely un-handy and I managed to unfuck it safely by drilling a second vent hole, but that was a job made easier by the fact that I had eye-level access on both sides. Hacking a wall in the side of our kitchen eight feet above grade into the intra-flooring space is something I'd be hiring The Guy to do.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

The wiring on the 220v plug looks original, but the stove backs on the inside of the house and as best as I can tell there's never been an exterior vent. I hate the sound of fans anyway so it's basically never turned on; we just don't cook smokey things and if someone screws up then we open a window.

Of course, this was the same house where the jackfuck imbecile homeowner installed a dryer vent using 4" plastic flex venting all the way to the exterior wall (no), run in-common with a bathroom fan (noooo) that didn't have a damper to stop it from blowing air towards the dryer (nooooooo) and the whole thing was packed with a giant lint wad a foot long that I honestly thought was a sweater someone had jammed in there (what in several fucks). I'm not entirely un-handy and I managed to unfuck it safely by drilling a second vent hole, but that was a job made easier by the fact that I had eye-level access on both sides. Hacking a wall in the side of our kitchen eight feet above grade into the intra-flooring space is something I'd be hiring The Guy to do.

Sounds like a job for Mike Holmes!

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
At least you guys don't have some dumb gently caress pulling the fire alarm at three am. It's happened 3 times in the last two months. It's gotten so bad the rental company is putting up cameras to watch all the pull stations. I just know it's going to result in a rent increase at the first opportunity.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

Sounds like a job for Mike Holmes!

I'm pretty sure the stuff I uncovered when I went into the wall to stop the supply lines that idiotstick ran to the basement bathroom fixtures would've left the poor man on the ground crying.

Kleenex is not a building material.

Also I can't find anything in the OBC that says an electric cooktop must be vented to the outdoors, and also I fail to see how not having such a fan would be a fire hazard. If anything, having the fan on when the cooktop catches fire would just suck combustion-temperature gases into an exhaust pipe that's probably layered with fine residue of cooking oil, making the whole vent pipe go up and starting a second fire between the walls :supaburn:

e: but seriously if I ever catch up with that dumb bastard I'm going to club him with a level and then stab him with an easy-square because I know there's no way he'll be able to describe those weapons to the cops.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 3, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Isizzlehorn posted:

Curious, what's your solution to reducing electricity costs in this province without burning fossil fuels? Something lucid without shitposting about Wynne would be appreciated, tia.

That's an excellent question, I will do my very best. The AG has made several dozen good recommendations in different areas over the years where we could save money and I'm not going to re-type them all. They're definitely worth reading because they're good ideas and she does a great job explaining the system so I'll edit them in at the end. None of them would actually really reduce electricity costs though, the best we could hope for is to slow the increase because of our provincial strategy. I'll list some major divergences in strategy if Ikantski was in charge.

1) Acknowledge that our rapidly rising cost is a problem that needs fixing. The current government hasn't even done this. Our provincial energy vision is "conservation first". Higher prices for consumers means more conservation. Higher prices for businesses means less manufacturers and... conservation. I would change our underlying strategy from "Stop people from using so much electricity" to "Provide green energy for all our needs".

2) Stop forcing ratepayers to create an industry. OLP's goal was never just to have Ontario using all green energy. Their goal was to get ratepayers to subsidize the global green energy industry. That's why OPG was never allowed to bid on Green Energy projects. That's why hydroelectric dams aren't considered "Green Energy" in Ontario and entitled to the same perks. That's why "Compared to U.S. prices, the cost of wind power in Ontario is double and solar power is more than triple. The 2010 Green Energy Act, Ms. Lysyk said, failed to take advantage of low electricity prices and instead mandated higher prices for wind and solar power companies than they had received previously." I'd include hydroelectric with solar and wind and I'd allow OPG to bid on all renewable projects. At least the inflated electricity costs would stay in the province instead of flowing to Samsung and the rest of the foreign owners.

3) Remove government interference from the electricity system as much as possible. "[Chiarelli] said the draft long-term plans that the OPA created and the province killed were too “cumbersome” and did not include enough consultation. When he became minister in 2013, Mr. Chiarelli said, he changed the planning process and created a new type of plan that will manage the system in the future." That's awful. We have (and pay) experts to design a good electricity system according to our needs and we ignore what they say. OLP has actually just formalized their intent to do exactly this and control the system exclusively, http://www.canadianenergylawblog.com/2015/11/05/the-bill-135-governance-model-all-roads-lead-to-the-government/.

Those are the big ones that would have major impacts on what we pay and where the money goes.

4) Vastly increase oversight of our distribution and generation. These things are essential services for consumers and businesses and it will have long term repercussions if they continue to prey on Ontarians. Right now, we're removing oversight of both of these as fast as possible. We lose auditor general and ombudsman oversight of Hydro One tomorrow due to the privatization. We still have oversight of OPG but we are reducing their share of generation by not allowing them to bid on green projects. Soon we'll have no auditor or ombudsman oversight over the majority of our distribution and generation. I'd have full time auditors at both these multi billion crown corporations.

5) Right now, Hydro One and OPG profits flow to the government, not the ratepayer. There's an added economic incentive for the government to raise rates. With the above auditors in place, I'd return the profits to the ratepayers instead of the government. It's ridiculous that Hydro One can make $700m a year in profit and then go to the OEB and say "We need to raise delivery fees because we need to build this new equipment" and get approved every time. That equipment cost should obviously come out of the profit. They should actually install that equipment too.

6) What I said above about OPG not being allowed to build green projects isn't quite true. The agreement is actually "OPG will not pursue investment in non-hydroelectric renewable generation projects unless specifically directed to do so by the Shareholder". The shareholder of course is the government. I would consider things like the deal below to be a conflict of interest that could potentially be seen as corruption and tarnish the Ikantski green energy plan so maybe I'd put a rule in place like "Hey, people actively involved in government decisions probably shouldn't directly profit from them".

quote:

Crown-owned Ontario Power Generation (OPG), under the watchful eye of the Wynne government, is expanding into utility-scale, ground-mounted solar projects at three Ontario locations. Earlier this month, OPG announced partnership with Missouri-based SunEdison. SunEdison has special connections at Queen’s Park.

Minister of Transportation Steven Del Duca’s wife, Utilia Amaral, is vice chair of the Canadian Solar Industries Association board of directors and is Managing Director, Strategic Affairs (Canada) at SunEdison.

Amaral has deep Queen’s Park connections. She was director of policy in the minister’s office of the Minister of Consumer Services. She was also a director of policy in the MInistry of Environment.

AG electricity reports

2011 - Green Energy Act seems retardedly more expensive than they estimated - http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_en/en11/303en11.pdf

2013 - OPG mgmt are basically embezzling - http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_en/en13/305en13.pdf

2014 - Smart meters, dumb politicians - http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_en/en14/311en14.pdf

2014 - Hydro One and OPG what the christ are you paying yourselves? - http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/pension/electricity-sector.html (not the AG but a good read)

2015 - Seriously, how are these people not in jail? - http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_2015_en.htm

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Liberal tax-switch plan could mean $4B in lost revenue, study suggests

quote:

"The Liberal election platform said that these changes would be more or less revenue neutral," said the report's author, C.D. Howe research director Alexandre Laurin.

"However, we estimate the federal tax changes could result in national tax receipts falling short of commitments for both federal and provincial levels of government by more than $4 billion, meaning higher taxes elsewhere, unplanned spending cuts, or larger increases in government debt," he said.

Laurin said the problem is that high-income taxpayers can take many steps to reduce their taxable income — things like changing income sources, putting off taxable transactions or moving to lower-tax jurisdictions. His analysis cites examples from other jurisdictions where top-income taxpayers changed the way they acted when their marginal tax rates were increased.

Because of that, he says the extra tax revenue raised by the higher rate on the top income earners could bring in less than $1 billion — far less than the $2.8 billion than the Liberals had forecast in their electoral platform document.

At the same time, the analysis suggests the lowering of the middle-class rax rate could cost the federal and provincial governments a total of $4.9 billion ($3.5 billion federally and $1.4 billion provincially).

who saw this coming?

e: here's the actual study: https://www.cdhowe.org/shifting-federal-tax-burden-one-percenters-losing-proposition

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

High income earners could leave, and if they do, then tax revenue could go down.

:aaa:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's actually one of my biggest fears that one of the imbeciles that lives around here might do something stupid and cause some level of destruction to my apartment or its contents through no fault of my own.

I completely agree with you on that cooking fire poo poo. Back in July, some loving moron 10 floors above me (and I'm on the 20th) set their unit on fire because they're too retarded to hard boil a loving egg. The sprinklers/fire measures worked as they should, and put the fire out, but the water from it flooded half my building, damaged over 150 condos, destroyed an elevator, and we're still dealing with the effects of that in December. Make sure you get insurance, I'm so thankful I had it, anyone living anywhere without insurance is very irresponsible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I completely agree with you on that cooking fire poo poo. Back in July, some loving moron 10 floors above me (and I'm on the 20th) set their unit on fire because they're too retarded to hard boil a loving egg. The sprinklers/fire measures worked as they should, and put the fire out, but the water from it flooded half my building, damaged over 150 condos, destroyed an elevator, and we're still dealing with the effects of that in December. Make sure you get insurance, I'm so thankful I had it, anyone living anywhere without insurance is very irresponsible.

Oh, you better believe I carry full insurance.

How do you set a fire cooking an egg? How is that even possible?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

High income earners could leave, and if they do, then tax revenue could go down.

:aaa:

Yeah because when someone works for me in Ottawa I'm ok with them changing countries to avoid paying as much in tax.

People who can leave because they are self employed or consultants are already not paying much in tax.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
So when does C.D Howe get audited for partisanship and removal of its non-profit status.

PT6A posted:

superheating oil, like setting the stovetop to high to heat the oil faster :what:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Honestly, between poo poo like that and Vancouver drivers, the level of idiocy in the general population never ceases to amaze me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

So when does C.D Howe get audited for partisanship and removal of its non-profit status.

superheating oil, like setting the stovetop to high to heat the oil faster :what:

But... it's a hardboiled egg. You don't cook that in fat, you cook it in water. There shouldn't be flammable material involved at any point.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PT6A posted:

But... it's a hardboiled egg. You don't cook that in fat, you cook it in water. There shouldn't be flammable material involved at any point.

Don't underestimate the intelligence required to cook safely.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I think the takeaway from that study isn't so much that raising taxes on the rich is pointless, but rather that the "tax break for the middle class" (mainly benefiting people making between $85K to $200K a year) will be hugely expensive and it's naive to think that they can make up the difference by increasing taxes on the top 1%.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Seriously? Heat is required to cook an egg. Heat can be derived from or cause fire. Accidents happen everywhere, including around heat sources. It's pretty straightforward.

It would be nice if people were minimally competent in imagination and connecting the dots.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

I think the takeaway from that study isn't so much that raising taxes on the rich is pointless, but rather that the "tax break for the middle class" (mainly benefiting people making between $85K to $200K a year) will be hugely expensive and it's naive to think that they can make up the difference by increasing taxes on the top 1%.

It's just a setup for future Lib libbing. Three years from now: "Oh no, we now have to balance the budget and our tax cut turned out not to be revenue neutral after all. Better privatize something somewhere because we sure as hell can't reinstate those taxes!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sliderule posted:

Seriously? Heat is required to cook an egg. Heat can be derived from or cause fire. Accidents happen everywhere, including around heat sources. It's pretty straightforward.

It would be nice if people were minimally competent in imagination and connecting the dots.

I think it's safe to say that if you set your home on fire cooking a hardboiled egg, you might actually be functionally retarded.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One reason I like my apartment is that there's a landlord screening everyone with decades of experience weeding out dangerous or annoying idiots. In a condo anyone with money can buy in and if you find out they're awful later it's really really hard to get rid of them.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think it's safe to say that if you set your home on fire cooking a hardboiled egg, you might actually be functionally retarded.

Appliances never malfunction. People who are not functionally retarded never cause accidents or make mistakes. I'll note these things in my big book of Facts Which Are True.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sliderule posted:

Appliances never malfunction. People who are not functionally retarded never cause accidents or make mistakes. I'll note these things in my big book of Facts Which Are One True.

It's a brand new building with brand new appliances with glass tops that literally cannot cause fires on their own. You'd have to, like, move your pot of water and literally put flammable material on the glass top while turned on high. I cannot fathom how you think it's an understandable mistake to set a building on fire like this.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a brand new building with brand new appliances with glass tops that literally cannot cause fires on their own. You'd have to, like, move your pot of water and literally put flammable material on the glass top while turned on high. I cannot fathom how you think it's an understandable mistake to set a building on fire like this.

The human body is infallible. Nobody has ever encountered a temporary, permanent, or intermittent condition that inhibits their cognitive or motor skills. All noted facts.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, you got in an avoidable vehicular collision? The only possible explanation is that you, sir, are functionally retarded.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, I hope I never live in a building with you.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Or anyone with any sort of physical impairment, apparently.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

sliderule posted:

Wow, you got in an avoidable vehicular collision? The only possible explanation is that you, sir, are functionally retarded.

Funny you mention this, two days prior I narrowly avoided an accident after two collisions occurred within 30 seconds due to fog :angel:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus, I hope I never live in a building with you.

He probably lives in a single family residence, whereas you condo/apt dwellers are forever angry at cloud for living in essentially a commune of intelligence to paraphrase your opinion.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So because I was pissed that someone wasn't able to cook a hardboiled egg, therefore setting their condo on fire and flooding half the tower costing millions of dollars worth of damage and inconveniencing and/or displacing hundreds of people, that makes me someone who doesn't want to live around anyone with a disability and only around smart people?

Holy gently caress :psyduck:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, that's an accurate read of the conversation. :psyduck: indeed.

vvv --- what's that crazy talk?! Of course very smart and not functionally retarded people are immune to accidents.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

CLAM DOWN posted:

So because I was pissed that someone wasn't able to cook a hardboiled egg, therefore setting their condo on fire and flooding half the tower costing millions of dollars worth of damage and inconveniencing and/or displacing hundreds of people, that makes me someone who doesn't want to live around anyone with a disability and only around smart people?

Holy gently caress :psyduck:

Smart people aren't immune to accident, another noted fact.