Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Erwin posted:

What are there, like 7 total?

There are only 7 that matter but broadbandnow.com lists 444 cable providers, and over 800 DSL providers (do people really still use DSL???).

Suprisingly, AT&T U-verse is available to more subscribers than Comcast, but I believe that is only the potential subscribers instead of the actual number of customers. I know I sure as hell will not go back to AT&T, the speed and the equipment both suck. All the modems they have sent out have been slow and flaky, the wireless TV box constantly needs reset, and the DVR, which is connected to the modem via Ethernet, constantly looses it's connection. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Yay, I can join the Cryptolocker'd at Work club!

Fortunately the desktop support guy pulled it off the network and blitzed it instantly, and the damage is only contained to some unused/temporary files plus our backups are up to date.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

There are only 7 that matter but broadbandnow.com lists 444 cable providers, and over 800 DSL providers (do people really still use DSL???).

You live outside of a city? You bet your rear end you use DSL!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

People still use dial up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I had training once from some representative from SCTE with a PHD is internetology. Guy was retired but occasionally took contract work for training seminars with SCTE because he liked it so much.

This man was in the right place at the right time to make a career out of developing the equipment modern ISPs use to function as they do today. He's an expert in everything RF and Optical related and has worked for basically every company that develops equipment for ISPs.

I found it wildly ironic that he lives on a farm in George with no internet access. He even has a basement full of fiber/nodes/coax/line extenders/ whatever else you need to make the plant function that he's collected over the years and even offered to just hand it all over to Comcast so they could use it to get cable to his house but they refused.

He also said Time Warner is the the loving worst because their management are typical bureaucrats who have no interest in knowing how anything works.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Crotch Fruit posted:

(do people really still use DSL???).

Running our business over DSL -right- -now-.

At least it's not got our VoIP traffic being juggled over it anymore! :v:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
We're doing a VPN upgrade soon. The new version's clients aren't backwards-compatible with the old version.

I send a nice detailed e-mail to our VPN users, including instructions on how to make the transition.

An e-mail came in:

quote:

Subject: VPN
Body: I'm not doing any of that.

Ok, then.

Forwarded to all supervisors. I'm waiting for either the fallout, or the immediate begrudging about-face.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Renegret posted:

He also said Time Warner is the the loving worst because their management are typical bureaucrats who have no interest in knowing how anything works.

As long as they keep delivering their 300Mbps connection to my apartment I am fine with them having their heads up their asses. In the 7 years I have had them never really had a bad experience, the only long term issue was when they were building out the infrastructure for the new internet tiers the old connections suffered and I had lovely internet almost all summer, then toward the end of August they flipped a switch for the new stuff and it's been smooth sailing since then. Also when I had TV from them their DVR/TV Schedule menu was great, but anything is great compared to the pile of poo poo that is Verizon Fios TV.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Crowley posted:

Almost all municipality admin staff is off to handle today's EU election. I've handled all my tickets, and my documentation is in order.

I'm bored enough to take pictures of my office, and now you get to suffer too!

Thank god for D list priorities! Now, where did they put the stapler oil?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gothmog1065 posted:

You live outside of a city? You bet your rear end you use DSL!

No, though? Cable has wider coverage out in nowheresvilles, because DSL dies with distance from the CO. Whole lotta places where your only choices are dialup, cable, and a satellite provider (so really, your choice is cable).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Crowley posted:

Almost all municipality admin staff is off to handle today's EU election. I've handled all my tickets, and my documentation is in order.

I'm bored enough to take pictures of my office, and now you get to suffer too!

I've gone whole-hog with my office Christmas decorations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

MJP posted:

Yay, I can join the Cryptolocker'd at Work club!

Fortunately the desktop support guy pulled it off the network and blitzed it instantly, and the damage is only contained to some unused/temporary files plus our backups are up to date.

We just blocked all the big webmails at the proxy this week. We were up to one crypto-infection a day, all of them from attachments via private mail accounts.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alighieri posted:

As long as they keep delivering their 300Mbps connection to my apartment I am fine with them having their heads up their asses. In the 7 years I have had them never really had a bad experience, the only long term issue was when they were building out the infrastructure for the new internet tiers the old connections suffered and I had lovely internet almost all summer, then toward the end of August they flipped a switch for the new stuff and it's been smooth sailing since then. Also when I had TV from them their DVR/TV Schedule menu was great, but anything is great compared to the pile of poo poo that is Verizon Fios TV.

Yeah honestly I haven't had a problem with them as a customer either, outside of one problem that was textbook upstream utilization during peak times due to too many customers in an area. It took a few months to fix which sucked, but at the same time I know just how much money, work, and time that's needed to fix an issue like that.

Their NOC though, ohhhhh boy are they terrible. I'll have to call them once every few months, and whenever I have to I just know I'm going to have a miserable day.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Sony's out of warranty repair vendor is Geek Squad, what the gently caress?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

uPen posted:

What do they care? Best buy pays them for the privileged.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I used to live in a town with a public Telco and they were universally loved by all. Great services and speed at a great price. I dont understand at all the amount of fear and loathing people have about public utilities. Then you read stories about Telcos lobbying to make municipal internet illegal, it's really disheartening. I hope at some point the barrier to entry gets low and more municipal services could start up.

I wish I could quote this times a million. The cable coop in my old town was amazing. And their competition was a partially-public telco. I had infinitely better speeds and service at lower price than most other places in Canada, and they were still both insanely profitable. I miss that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

An e-mail came in:

Ok, then.
Ok, enjoy not being able to work remotely then. :shrug:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

uPen posted:

Haha yeah, I found this out and was like :psyduck: too when they told me that.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

I'm just sorry that you're having to deal with a Sony laptop in the first place. I've used my very limited power to ban any future Sony purchases in my department after dealing with one of them.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want to roll out surface books to my entire company I love this thing

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Haha yeah, I found this out and was like :psyduck: too when they told me that.

Why is it surprising? Geek Squad's (along with every other 3rd party retail support outfit) MO is pretty much to support computers that the OEM won't for whatever reason...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inspector_666 posted:

Why is it surprising? Geek Squad's (along with every other 3rd party retail support outfit) MO is pretty much to support computers that the OEM won't for whatever reason...

Also because it's an easily identifiable brand. "Just take it to best buy" is easier to tell someone than "hey look up your nearly friendly locally owned computer repair shop no I do not know where that is".

I worked at Geek Squad for about a year and a half. Easily the worst job I've ever had. Not a single person worked there who wasn't turned into a raging alcoholic within several months.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Also most people think Geek Squad is actually good. I get comments from the distant family that tell me I should apply for Geek Squad, they make so much! Yes they might charge you $200/hr but that guy isn't making that. It's seriously treated like the gold standard by a good number of non technical people.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The ticketing system used by Geek Squad was the most hilariously awful thing I've ever used, too. It had a couple drop downs that would just lock up the entire computer if you selected it by accident, and since they ran on POS machines, they'd take a half hour to reboot.

I heard they replaced it shortly after I left and somehow made it worse.

e: Nothing will beat the mini BedlamDL3 we had when someone from corporate accidentally added every employee on the entire east coast. The whole thing was made worse by giving reply-all power to a bunch of bored college students with nothing to lose and a clear hatred for their jobs.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 3, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have prior cisco training, and MTA, a CS degree, and still those geek squad "pre-qualifiers" are bullshit. I was a gold agent in my department, I filled out everything for the loving CSA position and at the time I my stats were great.

I didn't get the position because my competition at the time was a young, pretty, but ultimately stupid girl and my boss was male. Like seriously, this girl would accept returns, not even loving check the contents, then go put it back on the shelf. Later, the customer would eventually bring it back and complain it was missing parts, I'd look up who accepted the return. Surprise! I brought this to management and nothing happened.

This was not an isolated incident. gently caress best buy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Didnt they also get busted for pirating a bunch of their software to use in "fixing" computers? Like ccleaner or recuva or something?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The tech they do is literally "pops disk in, run tools on disk, if they fail, send computer elsewhere to fix or wait weeks for expensive parts that may not exist". If it's a small store, and a mac, they don't do poo poo because they "can't afford the tools" and they ship it to someone else to deal with.

Also in the geek squad place you're not allowed to have your phone back there, but the actual GS agents will blast music off their phones there all the time.

Their solution to not being able to figure something out is typically to wipe the drive and start over. (though having worked with customers who have worked with best buy previously, I'm not really surprised they end up doing that once I knew what kind of person I was dealing with)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have prior cisco training, and MTA, a CS degree, and still those geek squad "pre-qualifiers" are bullshit. I was a gold agent in my department, I filled out everything for the loving CSA position and at the time I my stats were great.

I didn't get the position because my competition at the time was a young, pretty, but ultimately stupid girl and my boss was male. Like seriously, this girl would accept returns, not even loving check the contents, then go put it back on the shelf. Later, the customer would eventually bring it back and complain it was missing parts, I'd look up who accepted the return. Surprise! I brought this to management and nothing happened.

This was not an isolated incident. gently caress best buy.

I have reread this a few times and I can't help to come to the conclusion that this was your fault somehow. Seems adequate punishment for staying at geeksquad while being so overqualified. If this injustice pushed you to another job at a real company than your boss basically did you a favor.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pixaal posted:

Also most people think Geek Squad is actually good. I get comments from the distant family that tell me I should apply for Geek Squad, they make so much! Yes they might charge you $200/hr but that guy isn't making that. It's seriously treated like the gold standard by a good number of non technical people.

It's brand recognition mostly, also there's no real competition at Geek Squad's level. Computer repair shops are mostly small places, at the largest a local franchise.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The tech they do is literally "pops disk in, run tools on disk, if they fail, send computer elsewhere to fix or wait weeks for expensive parts that may not exist". If it's a small store, and a mac, they don't do poo poo because they "can't afford the tools" and they ship it to someone else to deal with.

Also in the geek squad place you're not allowed to have your phone back there, but the actual GS agents will blast music off their phones there all the time.

Their solution to not being able to figure something out is typically to wipe the drive and start over. (though having worked with customers who have worked with best buy previously, I'm not really surprised they end up doing that once I knew what kind of person I was dealing with)

From what I understand GS people (especially the CSAs) are salesmen first, repairmen distant second. It's all about the upsell, maximizing profit while minimizing expenses and effort. The optimum service is one that doesn't exist. My favorite is assigning IP addresses to 3D glasses.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 3, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sickening posted:

I have reread this a few times and I can't help to come to the conclusion that this was your fault somehow. Seems adequate punishment for staying at geeksquad while being so overqualified. If this injustice pushed you to another job at a real company than your boss basically did you a favor.

Well yeah, eventually. But it was still clearly bullshit and should not have happened (though yes..."that's not how the world works" and all that poo poo).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

fishmech posted:

No, though? Cable has wider coverage out in nowheresvilles, because DSL dies with distance from the CO. Whole lotta places where your only choices are dialup, cable, and a satellite provider (so really, your choice is cable).

Anything outside of a populated city/town/municipality is DSL around here. You might get cable if there's is enough people, but when you start getting further out, it's DSL or when DSL runs out, it's Dialup or Satellite.

They might be able to run further out, but sure as gently caress don't because they're no longer making money hand over fist.

I have a few people that can see the cable drops from their house, but cable won't run it because they're outside city limits or some poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, apparently someone shoulder-looked one of the admins here and found the password for the service administrator account and started giving it to their buddies.

Anyway, we already changed it across all the workstations to a long and nonsensical passphrase, but would anyone know if there's a way I can hunt down who started it in Spiceworks or another tool? No one will narc on who started it. I figure it'd just be something like scanning the EventVwr for someone authenticating with that account, and if I see something we wouldn't have installed, I'd have it pinned down. They just made a whole bunch of extra work for me so I want vengeance.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know but that's funny

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

So, apparently someone shoulder-looked one of the admins here and found the password for the service administrator account and started giving it to their buddies.

Anyway, we already changed it across all the workstations to a long and nonsensical passphrase, but would anyone know if there's a way I can hunt down who started it in Spiceworks or another tool? No one will narc on who started it. I figure it'd just be something like scanning the EventVwr for someone authenticating with that account, and if I see something we wouldn't have installed, I'd have it pinned down. They just made a whole bunch of extra work for me so I want vengeance.

Couple of things.

Since you are asking this question you probably don't have anything but the default events settings enabled. Depending on how far back this goes it might already be gone. The events you probably want to look for are "msilinstall" events under "source" in the application logs in event viewer. The event codes are possibly 11707 or 1033 , but they could be different ones. This is probably going to time consuming going this route.

I would install pdq inventory asap. The free version will give you a real inventory of the software all the computers in your environment (as well as lots of other very useful info) and running reports for applications should help figure out who has unauthorized software. If you are administering this type of environment you should have a better handle on this already but this is a good place to start.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Zero VGS posted:

Just let it go. You're throwing extra work at extra work, there's no justification for it. Even if you find the guy what's management gonna do? Tell him not to do it again?

A company-wide email from a C level explaining that unauthorized use of administrative credentials is grounds for discipline should be enough. Just wipe your hands of it, tell your admins to watch for shoulder-lookers, and report them as necessary.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's probably someone "working around" a real or perceived inefficiency rather than being actively malicious. Users will ignore policies to get their jobs done.

Tracking down the users who used that account without access means that you can address them directly and try to resolve the actual underlying issue before the exact same problem happens again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zero VGS posted:

Anyway, we already changed it across all the workstations to a long and nonsensical passphrase

So it's a local account? Is it possible they backed up the SAM file (booting into another OS) and just bruteforced it at home?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

pixaal posted:

So it's a local account? Is it possible they backed up the SAM file (booting into another OS) and just bruteforced it at home?

No way somebody smart enough to do this is dumb enough to pass the credentials to idiots around the office. Shoulder-looking is so much more likely from non-technical guys.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
That moment when the engineer in the WebEx has no idea what an iDRAC Virtual Console is or what it does.

Yes Timmy, it shows you the entire boot process. It's a very nice tool used to get into your servers when your software hangs them.

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

That moment when the engineer in the WebEx has no idea what an iDRAC Virtual Console is or what it does.

Yes Timmy, it shows you the entire boot process. It's a very nice tool used to get into your servers when your software hangs them.

:bang:

The first time I got to use an iDRAC (this was last year) was a complete :aaaaa: moment for me.

• Locked thread