Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sa forums > games > starbound thread: oddium is the best poster and i want to kiss her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

won't work, we're trying to actually get people to post in this thread

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Games > Starbound: In the year 2525, if Starbound is still alive...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Starbound: What is Unfinished May Never Play (and be reviewed)

To avoid being a thread title suggestion shitpost: did they ever stick to that design of having races literally just be exclusive undroppable costumes? I always thought that was a meh concept. Did they ever grant unique traits to them? People mentioned extreme temperatures and protective suits, it would be cool if, for example, the Robot race can simply walk into harsh cold planets early on (and build their freaky doctor doom medieval castle there). Cannibal plant race automatically being friendly with plant monsters, authoritarian ape race having an easier time taming monsters, etc.

I think what they decided on (for the time being) is that each race will have their racial armor sets give you that bonus. So only that race can naturally craft those armors to get the bonuses, but you can like pass them around and your bros can benefit too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Reiley posted:

What exactly is it that you believe a rocket launcher is supposed to do?

I'd have less complaints about "blow yourself up in one shot" if one that strong also didn't take about 3 to blow up the average enemy.

EDIT: "RISK VS REWARD :byodood:" mindsets frequently hate the second part coming anywhere close to the first part. See also, the official Elite Dangerous forums.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 2, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BillmasterCozb posted:

Games > Starbound: In the year 2525, if Starbound is still alive...

I approve of this.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

oddium posted:

sa forums > games > starbound thread: oddium is the best poster and i want to kiss her

agreed

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Section Z posted:

I'd have less complaints about "blow yourself up in one shot" if one that strong also didn't take about 3 to blow up the average enemy.

EDIT: "RISK VS REWARD :byodood:" mindsets frequently hate the second part coming anywhere close to the first part. See also, the official Elite Dangerous forums.

See also: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, aka Edmund's dream of nerfing everything that was ever usable

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BillmasterCozb posted:

See also: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, aka Edmund's dream of nerfing everything that was ever usable

In TF2 terms it would be "If I rocket jump I die instantly, but it takes me three rockets to kill an enemy soldier. Because ??? balance ???"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think we should continue to pull our thread titles from supernorn, the real hero

Starbound: Yes, you should definitely be taking this thread seriously.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Second.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Patware posted:

i think we should continue to pull our thread titles from supernorn, the real hero

Starbound: Yes, you should definitely be taking this thread seriously.

This goon is on to something

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Starbound: A Study in buyers remorse on the internet

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I remember a younger, brighter-eyed me firing up Starbound day 1 of beta, and playing it for hours and hours. I thought to myself, "I'll shelve this game for six or so months until they can put more features in so I don't play it until I hate it like with Minecraft." Oh, what an idealistic youth I was.

Starbound seems to be what happens when you let the UX/UI people "plan" your whole project.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
is there seriously talk about starting a new thread for this dumb bad awful game

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Starbound: is there seriously talk about starting a new thread for this dumb bad awful game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

trip report: dwarf fortress update is really good

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

trip report: dwarf fortress update is really good
Oh I forgot about that, what's new?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

dort fort posted:

Here is the new version we've been working on all year! The flow of fortress life is quite a bit different now -- specific breaks and parties have been replaced by taverns and performances and needs and inebriation. You can designate a tavern, temple or library from a meeting area zone, bedroom or dining room using the new Assign Location option. The location list ('l') will let you know what sort of furniture and items you need, and you can set tavern keepers, scribes and other occupations there as well. You'll need to set up a drink stockpile and a chest for goblets in taverns for drink service to work properly, but dwarves can still drink without a tavern as before. You can assign multiple rooms/zones to a single location. There's a lot more -- see the feature list below.

The bug fix list below is partial. Large chunks of the game were changed, which has a way of making old bugs go away while bringing in new ones to take their place. We'll be focusing on bugs old and new in subsequent releases, starting with crashing saves and moving down the list. The next set of bug-fix releases will be measured on a scale of days and weeks rather than months, as usual.

New stuff

Ability to designate taverns, temples and libraries in the fortress
Taverns and libraries also exist in adventure mode and world generation
Tavern keepers can serve drinks in both modes, goblets can be used by dwarves to drink (in taverns or otherwise)
Performances include stories, poetry, music and dance (you can view activity descriptions from the unit/job list)
Art forms are randomly generated for each civilization
Instruments are now all generated, instruments can be used in both modes
Most instruments are constructed from multiple pieces using different materials
Personalities and values lead to needs which can be met by various actions in both modes
The fort has visitors, residency petitions and eventual citizenship, including non-dwarves
Tavern visitors include mercenaries, monster slayers, bandits, diplomats and performers
Can set details for clothing/armor jobs to make them for other races that can equip items
Monster slayers can petition your fortress to go down and fight monsters once you discover the underground
Performance troupes are active in world generation and into play, visiting the fort, can be formed in adventure mode
New knowledge system divided into nine branches (though it has very few practical effects so far)
Fortress scholars can advance knowledge, form master-apprentice relationships and write down their findings
Fortress scribes can copy works in your library
Scholars can visit your fortress libraries, bringing knowledge from around the world
Devoted historical figures can visit your fortress temples
Three forms of writing material: papyrus sheets, paper sheets and parchment sheets
Papyrus sheets are made directly from the plant at the farmer's workshop
Paper is made from pressed slurries (start at the quern/mill, then go to a screw press)
Parchment is made from hide and milk of lime at the tanner's (bake quicklime at a kiln, then make milk of lime at an ashery)
Sheets are used to make quires or with rollers to make scrolls -- these are then used for writing
Quires can be bound into codices with bindings after they contain writing
Dwarves read books in the library (they don't need to be scholars)
Values can be passed in writing (both modes) and through adventure mode arguments (uses some conversation skills)
Animal people are playable as adventurers, arrive as fort visitors and sometimes live in towns in (playable) populations
Children play with toys now, and they can also play make believe, in both modes
Personality can be customized/randomized in adventure mode, appearance can be randomized as well
Temples can be defiled in both modes, dwarf temples can be assigned to particular gods
Adventurer can rent rooms in inns
Adventurers can compose new poems, music and dances
Adventurers can write material down on empty quires or scrolls
Alcohol causes inebriation, erratic behavior, unconsciousness, death
Festivals occur in world generation, though we haven't gotten them out of there yet
Dwarves will wear trinkets again

Major bug fixes

Fixed some army pathing issues
Goblins have mounts again
Fixed long-standing flow bug with unit occupancy
Stopped some issues with brawls escalating to non-lethal

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Looking at reaction screen for redded-out reactions in workshop will indicate missing reagents now
Fixed inversion problem with half of the child/parent conversation thoughts
Lots of historical figures that weren't around from the beginning didn't have deities when they were supposed to
Allowed site finder to look for 1x1 sites
Human civilizations now have randomized values
Added ability to set invasion wave cap size

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Jyrraeth posted:

some of these books are pretty great

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I haven't played this game since the updates were called some variation of Koala. I remember not being able to build a whole lot and mostly relying on magic bone swords (in a sci-fi game?) to grind enough o money to build that thing to contact spaceships, only to get massively owned by the penguin UFO and having to start again on another planet becsuse those fuckers would not respawn.

Is the game good now? Has it at least improved?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
try reading the last few pages

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Gotcha, thanks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guys...

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-now-lets-you-delete-games-from-your-library/

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao don't actually delete starbound unless you can get a refund

just hide it if you don't want it

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It's about making a statement.
The statement that starbound sucks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah you'll sure show those devs that already have your money. maybe if enough people do it they can band together and make a steam group called 'Currently Not Playing Starbound Because We Don't Own It Anymore' and maybe kotaku will talk about it in 20 years.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

what if starbound gets good some day?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I dont think that merits consideration given the circumstances.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

You people are still here?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Yes, were else would we go to hate StarBound?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

whoa who hates starbound here ??

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I like Starbound and want it to do well for itself.

It's the man in charge I hate.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Im going to reload this game when the next patch goes stable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/585/
I haven't tried it personally but if you actually do want to enjoy Starbound this mod seems like a good bet. It adds about a thousand things and makes countless tweaks, like removing the slowdown when walking backwards, re-adding bosses, disabling content gates, and reintroducing old features that were removed for re-balancing and then never re-added. Might be cool if you like that kind of thing.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/585/
I haven't tried it personally but if you actually do want to enjoy Starbound this mod seems like a good bet. It adds about a thousand things and makes countless tweaks, like removing the slowdown when walking backwards, re-adding bosses, disabling content gates, and reintroducing old features that were removed for re-balancing and then never re-added. Might be cool if you like that kind of thing.

If anything, this is a nice list of stuff showing how terrible starbound is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

pwnyXpress posted:

If anything, this is a nice list of stuff showing how terrible starbound is.
But in a way isn't that true of every Starbound mod

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Whats with all the pushback on slowed backward movement? We cant kite everything to death so........anger?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's something that would only work if the combat itself was even remotely worth a poo poo. as of now it's just damage blobs hopping at you constantly, which kinda makes slowed backwards movement lovely and bad. it's a symptom of them trying to make things more like ~dark souls~ but not realizing that it's a loving 2d pixel platformer. not like they're even sticking to that philosophy given that they added damage on touch back in, so, who the hell knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The biggest issue is that they're designing the game to have a big focus on exploration and platforming (see: Jumping Puzzles) and the slowed backwards movement also applies to air controls and it's just not a fun game design mechanic. You can't kite everything to death anyway since ammo is tied to energy and a lot of things have ranged attacks or they can fly or they're faster than you and there's better ways to deal with player mobility than removing player mobility.

Another big thing is that the game actually didn't have slower backwards walking once upon a time so the issue isn't so much "the game would be more fun to play without being slowed when moving backwards" as it's "the game actually was more fun to play when you weren't slowed when moving backwards".

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 7, 2015

• Locked thread