Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SnowblindFatal posted:

I haven't met a right-wing-oriented person who didn't think he was somehow better than everyone else. The ones that are well off typically actually believe it's because of their own merits and not just having better circumstances in life overall.

http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_piff_does_money_make_you_mean

If even this kind of extremely clear case makes people oblivious of their advantages, how about the much more abstract real life?

I haven't met a left-wing-oriented person who didn't think he was somehow unfairly screwed out of success in life and/or motivated by jealousy. Even the ones that are well off typically just look at people who are even better off than them and get jealous.

(insert some link about middle-class Finns complaining about being poor and how incompetent their bosses are)

That was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Nenonen posted:

You're right, Stubb should have instead just stabbed the rear end in a top hat in self defence.

He could've taken it like a man, and settled the matter in private and not even think about starting a lawsuit and wasting the time of everyone involved. I could maybe understand if the guy threw a full glass bottle at him but he just sprayed the contents of a cup on his clothes. Coke on your clothes, a pie to the face, piece of styrofoam to the crotch, I can understand him being pissed off about that but really, who cares? Just move on.

if some kid shoots a pumpulipallo with a ritsa at him he would probably sue that kid as well.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
viime vuoden pyörätelinemiehet sai ehdollista

mitähän markot mahtaa keksiä tänä vuonna

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I haven't met a left-wing-oriented person who didn't think he was somehow unfairly screwed out of success in life and/or motivated by jealousy. Even the ones that are well off typically just look at people who are even better off than them and get jealous.

(insert some link about middle-class Finns complaining about being poor and how incompetent their bosses are)

That was easy.

Yo, I know I'm privileged as gently caress by having a supporting family and being able to do technical university studies with ease. My future is set as gently caress. Yet I'm still a leftist!? :0

E: OH gently caress I replied to you. Geriatric Pirated again!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

Ne kai aikoo häiritä ja ampua ritsoilla sitä 612 kulkuetta.

Sehän ei käy, että jotkut väärällä tavalla funtsivat marssii niinkin kamalan asian kuin itsenäisyyden puolesta. Olisi ollut paljon parempi jos Stalin ois saanut rulettaa. Mutta ei hätää, meillä on onneksi EU ja monikulttuuri nyt, ei tarvi naapurin johtajaa ja kommunismia.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ligur posted:

Ne kai aikoo häiritä ja ampua ritsoilla sitä 612 kulkuetta.

Sehän ei käy, että jotkut väärällä tavalla funtsivat marssii niinkin kamalan asian kuin itsenäisyyden puolesta. Olisi ollut paljon parempi jos Stalin ois saanut rulettaa. Mutta ei hätää, meillä on onneksi EU ja monikulttuuri nyt, ei tarvi naapurin johtajaa ja kommunismia.

ai niin, olin ihan unohtanut sen kulkueen, siitä voikin tulla hauskaa

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

ai niin, olin ihan unohtanut sen kulkueen, siitä voikin tulla hauskaa

sinne vois mennä ottamaan ritsasta päähän, messissä?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I'll be the dude carring a huge sign with the letters: "LIGUR"

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Finnish independence is a joke. There isn't a single year in our "indenpendent" history, when we didn't take orders from either Germany or Russia.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fish of hemp posted:

Finnish independence is a joke. There isn't a single year in our "indenpendent" history, when we didn't take orders from either Germany or Russia.

Wrong. Between November 1918 and ca. March 1940 we took our orders from United Kingdom.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yo, I know I'm privileged as gently caress by having a supporting family and being able to do technical university studies with ease. My future is set as gently caress. Yet I'm still a leftist!? :0

E: OH gently caress I replied to you. Geriatric Pirated again!

You're jealous as gently caress lol, it comes through so obviously every now and then. I remember in the previous thread you said something like "I think I knew you from high school, did your parents buy you an apartment at 17?" (of course, they didn't, nor did we go to the same high school) but it's just so obvious that you're a "leftist" because some kids in high school got more than you did and that's not fair.

The funniest thing about you is once you finish your studies, get a real job, earn some money for a few years, buy a house and car and all that stuff you'll be voting Kokoomus for the rest of your life

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Geriatric Pirate posted:

You're jealous as gently caress lol, it comes through so obviously every now and then. I remember in the previous thread you said something like "I think I knew you from high school, did your parents buy you an apartment at 17?" (of course, they didn't, nor did we go to the same high school) but it's just so obvious that you're a "leftist" because some kids in high school got more than you did and that's not fair.

The funniest thing about you is once you finish your studies, get a real job, earn some money for a few years, buy a house and car and all that stuff you'll be voting Kokoomus for the rest of your life

not necessarily, many rich people vote for greens

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

We had two Markos at work and called them "Marko ja Tosimarko" welp that's my Marko story god bless the United States of America.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Geriatric Pirate posted:

some kids in high school got more than you did and that's not fair.

This kind of thing actually is not fair. Pretty solid base for solidarity based voting.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

This kind of thing actually is not fair. Pretty solid base for solidarity based voting.
Not fair for whom? And why is it not fair? What would "fair" be? To me the kid at the elite high school looking at his richer classmates has nothing to do with a sense of fairness, even if it is somehow technically unfair that some people are only born upper middle class, and everything to do with jealousy.

It also doesn't hurt you at all except through reference utility/jealousy (if you're smart, you make friends with the rich kids and go to nice houses to party), but I guess it does make a nice base for you to throw in a few left wing votes until you get a real income and have to start worrying about things like taxes

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 3, 2015

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Well look at you, real income earner.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Don't project, not everybody is a petty soulless husk of a human being.

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

For example dogs and primates refuse to cooperate if they are given unequal rewards for the same activity. Is it so outlandish to imagine that a similar moral behavior might be present in humans too? Beep boop I am a rational robot.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Pussy Noise posted:

Beep boop I am a rational robot.

When did "rationality" started to mean "being a super oval office"?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pussy Noise posted:

For example dogs and primates refuse to cooperate if they are given unequal rewards for the same activity. Is it so outlandish to imagine that a similar moral behavior might be present in humans too? Beep boop I am a rational robot.

lol that is such bullshit

dogs will do anything that they're trained to do

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

The funniest thing about dogs is that once they finish doggy day-care, get some obedience training, play some fetch for Hau-Hau snacks for a few years and all that stuff they'll be voting Kokoomus for the rest of their lives.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Not fair for whom? And why is it not fair? What would "fair" be?

The ones with rich parents might end up subscribing to a just world fallacy and find notorious vampire Stubb attractive. Seems pretty unfair to them really.

Fairness is hyvinvointivaltio, tulonsiirrot and all the rest of the things Kok is ideologically opposed to.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reminder that it has been proven beyond any doubt whatsoever that who you vote for is 95% influenced by upbringing whereas actual political views are based on whether you're a literal caveman (in which case you end up with what you think are right-wing views but which are actually knee-jerk reactions because your brain lacks the capability for higher reasoning) or a healthy modern human being (in which case you don't).

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
kyllä kokoomus kannattaa tulonsiirtoja

esim silloin kun työväenluokka maksaa rikkaiden lasten yliopistotutkinnot, tai kun yksityinen terveydenhoito on kelakorvauksen piirissä

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pussy Noise posted:

Oh man, I forgot that jealousy is normal. Silly me, I guess it's perfectly ok to base your worldviews on jealousy. I mean if dogs and monkeys are doing it...

doverhog posted:

The ones with rich parents might end up subscribing to a just world fallacy and find notorious vampire Stubb attractive. Seems pretty unfair to them really.

Fairness is hyvinvointivaltio, tulonsiirrot and all the rest of the things Kok is ideologically opposed to.

Oh no, not the just world fallacy :(

And no one in Finland, none of the political parties, not even Libera, opposes those things. But I'm not sure what someone getting a house from their parents has to do with any of that.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hogge Wild posted:

kyllä kokoomus kannattaa tulonsiirtoja

esim silloin kun työväenluokka maksaa rikkaiden lasten yliopistotutkinnot, tai kun yksityinen terveydenhoito on kelakorvauksen piirissä

lol @ "työväenluokka"

those guys vote kokoomus now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

And no one in Finland, none of the political parties, not even Libera, opposes those things. But I'm not sure what someone getting a house from their parents has to do with any of that.

They sure are doing everything they can to ruin those things though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Oh no, not the just world fallacy :(

:( indeed. It's a pretty terrible mode of thought to be trapped in.

If everyone with a job or a car votes Kok why aren't they the majority party?

doverhog fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 3, 2015

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
My guess is that right wingers like GP like to rationalise their awful self-centered behaviour by imagining a world where everyone else is a piece of poo poo too.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fukken lol, is GP really doing that old "you're a smelly layabout and when you grow up and get a job you'll see things my way" that rightwingers always fall back on when they have no arguments left?

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!
Alright Gertti Pertti. i'll bite. Why exactly did you vote for the Kok?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
For the record, I just got a job and I think I'll stick to the 3 day working week even after I graduate. I'll get by and have plenty of extra dough for whatever frivolous poo poo I want.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

:( indeed. It's a pretty terrible mode of thought to be trapped in.

If everyone with a job or a car votes Kok why aren't they the majority party?

Well, for one, less than half of the population actually works. But even then, I was focusing on the SnowblindFatal type of "leftist", i.e. educated and Helsinki based and whose biggest complaints about the current system ("student benefits are too low", "housing in Helsinki is too expensive") are ones that are going to look pretty trivial when you're voting for how to spend your money instead of how to spend everyone else's money. Of course countrysiders will vote Kesk and union dudes will vote SDP and the Swedes vote RKP and so on.

Jyppe posted:

Alright Gertti Pertti. i'll bite. Why exactly did you vote for the Kok?

There are 3.5 parties in Finland that have economic policies that are somewhat in line with what anyone who's got a clue about economics would vote for. One is too focused on the countryside, another is too focused on a language group and while the greenies are usually ok they seem to be swinging to the left a bit and doing the whole "students are so poor" thing now. So that leaves Kokoomus.

edit: read this http://www.libera.fi/blogi/vaatimattomia-toiveita-oppositiolle/ , even though it's targeted at the opposition it pretty reads like a "why I support kokoomus" document and I agree like 100% with it (also, it does a pretty good job of dispelling the myth that the cuts announced target poor people like this thread likes to complain)

SnowblindFatal posted:

For the record, I just got a job and I think I'll stick to the 3 day working week even after I graduate. I'll get by and have plenty of extra dough for whatever frivolous poo poo I want.

lol

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 4, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2015112820745174_uu.shtml
http://nyt.fi/a1449120063220?ref=hs-art-luetuimmat-#2
http://www.hs.fi/politiikka/a1449119445189

:lol: this government jesus gently caress

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mitäs jos piraatti menisit vaan omalle pihalle huutelemaan

Ovat varmaan jo kotona huolissaan

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pussy Noise posted:

The funniest thing about dogs is that once they finish doggy day-care, get some obedience training, play some fetch for Hau-Hau snacks for a few years and all that stuff they'll be voting Kokoomus for the rest of their lives.

And when they get too old to be useful anymore you can just put them down. You don't even need to take them to the vet, you can just shoot them behind your mansion.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

aika velikultia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Rappaport posted: