Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

To be fair, TOS has two and a half main characters, so even that was a pretty big step up

Yeah, but then the TNG movies came along and it turned into the Picard & Data show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
In some parallel quantum dimension, there's a really awesome TNG movie that is mostly about Riker, Geordi and Dr. Crusher.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, but then the TNG movies came along and it turned into the Picard & Data show.

The average American Movie Goer can't comprehend more than 2 main characters.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Met posted:

The joke is that Uhura is black. Well done.

The joke is that he's so stupid he thinks the south are the ones who decided slaves should only count as 3/5ths of a person.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kitchner posted:

The average American Movie Goer can't comprehend more than 2 main characters.

Nah, there's been plenty of good, successful movies with more than two main characters. It's a failure of the writers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Nah, there's been plenty of good, successful movies with more than two main characters. It's a failure of the writers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

1. Avatar - Main dude and blue lady, everyone else is the bad guy or extras
2. Titanic - Irish dude and rich bitch
3. Jurassic World - Star Lord and the woman
4. The Avengers - OK you win this one
5. Furious 7 - Haven't watched this but I'm going to guess there's a guy and a love interest
6. The Avengers 2 - Same as last time
7. Harry Potter 6: 2 - Harry and Voldemort
8. Frozen - Two sisters
9. Iron Man 3 - Iron Man and his wife/PA
10. Minions - haven't seen this either, do individual Minions matter?

That's like 7 out of 10 with two main characters.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Kitchner posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

1. Avatar - Main dude and blue lady, everyone else is the bad guy or extras
2. Titanic - Irish dude and rich bitch
3. Jurassic World - Star Lord and the woman
4. The Avengers - OK you win this one
5. Furious 7 - Haven't watched this but I'm going to guess there's a guy and a love interest
6. The Avengers 2 - Same as last time
7. Harry Potter 6: 2 - Harry and Voldemort
8. Frozen - Two sisters
9. Iron Man 3 - Iron Man and his wife/PA
10. Minions - haven't seen this either, do individual Minions matter?

That's like 7 out of 10 with two main characters.

3. Kids were in half the movie
5. There's Dead Guy, The Rock, and love interests,
7: Hermoine and Ron are bad guys and extras.
10: There's 3 main minions

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Hans has just as many lines as Elsa and Anna.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
With a score of 9 goonfats out of 10, smuglord has defeated the idea that there are plenty of good movies with multiple main characters by successfully obscuring his eyes with cheek fat when somebody tries to use the word "plenty" to mean "not on the top 10 list of highest grossing movies"

Also, apparently Hermione Granger wasn't a main character. Neither were any villains whatsoever.

Actually, it sort of looks like "main characters" can only mean "the two with the most screen time" so I sort of wonder why anyone even got in the ring with the one fat idiot on earth in charge of defining this poo poo, right?

Anyway, Smuglord's thesis, that normies are all stupid and he's not, remains fixed to the earth like it weights three hundred and thirty pounds, until the Day of the Fatal Sleep Apnea.

congrats bro

Tujague fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 30, 2015

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tujague posted:

With a score of 9 goonfats out of 10, smuglord has defeated the idea that there are plenty of good movies with multiple main characters by successfully obscuring his eyes with cheek fat when somebody tries to use the word "plenty" to mean "not on the top 10 list of highest grossing movies"

Also, apparently villains and Hermione Granger wasn't a main character. Neither were any villains whatsoever.

Actually, it sort of looks like "main characters" can only mean "the two with the most screen time" so I sort of wonder why anyone even got in the ring with the one fat idiot on earth in charge of defining this poo poo, right?

Anyway, Smuglord's thesis, that normies are all stupid and he's not, remains fixed to the earth like it weights three hundred and thirty pounds, until the Day of the Fatal Sleep Apnea.

congrats bro

your posts should be hauled away

as gaaarbaaaaaage

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The other thing to mention is every single one of those films is that they make use of a lot of big effects, CG or action scenes, too.

Going off that list, the first films that sort of 'doesn't' fall into that category is The Lion King at #24, maybe, but it's still animated which I don't know...

The last year where a non-animated, non-heavy action/FX film was the highest grossing film of the year appeared to be 1990 with Ghost.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Also, apparently Hermione Granger wasn't a main character. Neither were any villains whatsoever.

congrats bro

Why are you so very angry

You were mean to Terry Dax and now you're mean to whatever the gently caress people

You should relax. Get your peenie slickled.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'd be friends with any one/any thing named "Terry Dax".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tujague posted:

congrats bro

Man if I knew that post was going to trigger you so badly I'd have posted it sooner.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'd be friends with any one/any thing named "Terry Dax".

Im sure the Dax symbiont would immediately wriggle out the abdomen of anyone called Terry.

Terry sounds like a London taxi driver. Looks like Dax will just have to wait for a hot woman or autistic engineer to become available....although having an encyclopedic knowledge of London's roads would be valuable knowledge that would enrich the symbiont and also be useful to pass onto the next host

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sadly, according to Facebook, the only enriching that real person Terry Dax will provide is how to sit around in camo and get real thrilled about the murder a wild turkey.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tujague posted:

congrats bro

I know that hyperbole is all over SA, but there's one part of this post that is completely reasonable and accurate and not exaggerated.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also its a bit off topic but lol, just lol if you think Ron loving weasley or Hermione "hot in the later movies so make sure you watch in the right order" granger were ever a "main character" and not a ginger bitch and major nerd respectively.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It's like saying that Scotty was a main character in a show that almost exclusively featured Kirk and Spock.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I've yet to find a way to work in a good long bellow of "The higherrr... The fewerrrrr" into my life and its causing me distress.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

i mean on TNG they went from a main cast of nine at the beginning to seven by the end of fourth season, and i don't think they ever considered adding anyone.

I'm trying to think of who the ninth character was, is it Wesley? I never considered him really a main cast character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kitchner posted:

Also its a bit off topic but lol, just lol if you think Ron loving weasley or Hermione "hot in the later movies so make sure you watch in the right order" granger were ever a "main character" and not a ginger bitch and major nerd respectively.

More main than loving Voldemort was. That's like saying the giant flaming vagina was a main character in Lord of the Rings.

Kitchner posted:

It's like saying that Scotty was a main character in a show that almost exclusively featured Kirk and Spock.

And McCoy just as much as Spock if you ever tried watching it. The balance of those two and Kirk was kinda the whole point.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 1, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

More main than loving Voldemort was. That's like saying the giant flaming vagina was a main character in Lord of the Rings.

We are just talking about the very last HP movie here, Voldemort was definetly the second main character. He was in a whole ton of scenes.

quote:

And McCoy just as much as Spock if you ever tried watching it. The balance of those two and Kirk was kinda the whole point.

I have watched it and yeah McCoy is definetly there but I'd say he's in third place. Calling him a main character on the level with Kirk and Spock isn't accurate in my view.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I've yet to find a way to work in a good long bellow of "The higherrr... The fewerrrrr" into my life and its causing me distress.

Sounds like you need to have more conversations about economics.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MikeJF posted:

McCoy is less of a main character than Spock, but definitely still ahead of Scotty and Uhura and way ahead of Chekhov and Sulu in terms of screentime. I love the crazy old coot but he is pretty much an afterthought that Kelley created out of thin air, who got more screentime as the series progressed because he was really good at bouncing off Shatner and Nimoy and most writers saw how their three-way clash of personalities could be fun. He doesn't even get a place in the opening credits at first, he never gets a backstory in the same way Kirk or Spock do, and though he frequently takes a supporting role, episodes are only very rarely centered on his character (the only ones I can think of are The Man Trap and the one where he gets space cancer but gets cured by the asteroid people). I don't want to call him a comic relief character because he has some good dramatic material as well, but his character is generally lighter and more whimsically drawn than those of heroic, moral Kirk and brooding, rational Spock. I don't think he is a main character in the same way as those two.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EngineerSean posted:

I'm trying to think of who the ninth character was, is it Wesley? I never considered him really a main cast character.

Picard
Riker
Data
Dr. Crusher
Troi
Yar
LaForge
Worf
Wesley

Denise Crosby left in the first season. Wil Wheaton left in the fourth season.

Gates McFadden left after the first season because producer Maurice Hurley was sexually harassing her. Diana Muldaur came on for second season as Dr. Pulaski, and then she left and McFadden came back starting the third season.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
It works for TOS but I don't think it's exactly accurate to say that TNG as a whole has main characters. Some are certainly featured more than others, but it's better to consider each episode individually.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Gates McFadden left after the first season because producer Maurice Hurley was sexually harassing her.

Watch Shatner's new documentary on Netflix to see interviews with this shithead. Also a bunch of people poo poo talking Gene's rear end in a top hat lawyer and rejoicing at his death, complete with offensive caricature

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mondian posted:

Watch Shatner's new documentary on Netflix to see interviews with this shithead. Also a bunch of people poo poo talking Gene's rear end in a top hat lawyer and rejoicing at his death, complete with offensive caricature

Is that that bridge show about "fans" being really mad that they made next generation? I should have known that dumbass would be responsible.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, Chaos on the Bridge. The whole thing is just bitching about how awful Hurley and Maizlish were and how they were just firing people left and right and rewriting scripts and going through like 30 writers in two years or something? Then they all hosed off and the show became watchable.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 2, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mondian posted:

Yeah, Chaos on the Bridge. The whole thing is just bitching about how awful Hurley and Maizlish were and how they were just firing people left and right and rewriting scripts and going through like 30 writers in two years or something? Then they all hosed off and the show became watchable.

Yeah. It has to be admitted, Berman absolutely saved Trek, pulling the production out of that mess. He was a good producer, he was just an awful creative.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mondian posted:

An hour ago I didn't know this existed. I knew the show had a rocky couple of years, but I had no idea it was that bad. Great Documentary, for someone who doesn't like Star Trek, Shatner always does insightful stuff about it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I hope you relish it as much as I!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I like that they kinda alluded to Roddenberry being a creep but not saying that because probably financing legal issues. Where can one learn more about his weirdness perhaps in documentary form or a short read thats not a complete biography?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

From wikipedia:

In the late 1980s, Roddenberry was likely afflicted by the first manifestations of cerebral vascular disease and encephalopathy as a result of his longstanding recreational use of legal and illicit drugs, including alcohol,[160] cannabis, diazepam, secobarbital, methylphenidate, Dexamyl, and cocaine (which he had used regularly since the production of Star Trek: The Motion Picture).[122] He had routinely used stimulants to work through the night on scripts, especially amphetamines.[161] The effects of these substances were compounded by deleterious interactions with diabetes,[160] high blood pressure, and antidepressant prescriptions.

Gene was on a lot of stuff.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
No wonder he balked on Ellison's drug dealin' Scotty* script.

*(Yeah, I know, it wasn't Scotty...)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
wasn't he a huge womanizer too? :allears: truly the 23rd century is the place to be

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just saw "Measure of a Man" for the first time.

Data is cool, Picard is cool, Ryker and his beard are cool. This 2nd season of TNG is noticeably better than the first, and it becomes so quickly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

wasn't he a huge womanizer too? :allears: truly the 23rd century is the place to be

he banged every female guest star

there's a theory that he assaulted Grace Lee Whitney and that's why she stopped appearing on TOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
Dukat wept.

• Locked thread