Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Sooooo, is Hal ok? He hasn't posted since th election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

His program was deactivated and placed in long-term storage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was actually just the Harper's cats hooked up to keyboards.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

No longer being funded from the PM household budget, decomissioned

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Christy Clark, BC's worthless toad of a premier, says Trudeau's senate plan doesn't "address our concerns" (whatever those are) so we're just not going to participate. The senate doesn't represent our interests and she's gonna make sure that remains the case for years to come.!

Also, strong economy and jobs.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Who cares if it's a step in the right direction, it's not a perfect solution that makes everything totally fair and rosy in an afternoon so we hate it, we're folding our arms and if you try to make us go we're going to throw such a tantrum.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

bunnyofdoom posted:

In fairness, I don't exactly remember you hanging around here when your party was down in the polls.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

In fairness, I don't exactly remember you hanging around here when your party was down in the polls.

Really? I remember that.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

He's a fair weather poster you can't tell me otherwise :colbert: I remember a long silence in the summer between about Bill C-51 and the election.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me too, and it was based on him getting poo poo on constantly, if I remember correctly.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Poor widdle natural governing party. Heavy lies the crown.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

flakeloaf posted:

Who cares if it's a step in the right direction, it's not a perfect solution that makes everything totally fair and rosy in an afternoon so we hate it, we're folding our arms and if you try to make us go we're going to throw such a tantrum.

It's not really a step in the right direction. It does nothing to address the regional imbalance in the Senate, there's no way to ensure ahead of time that the appointment process will actually achieve its non-partisan goals, and it gives legitimacy to an outdated, undemocratic institution which makes future reforms more difficult.

At best it's slightly better than the status quo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

Poor widdle natural governing party. Heavy lies the crown.

You miserable bitter son of a bitch, why I oughta--

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

THC posted:

Christy Clark, BC's worthless toad of a premier, says Trudeau's senate plan doesn't "address our concerns" (whatever those are) so we're just not going to participate. The senate doesn't represent our interests and she's gonna make sure that remains the case for years to come.!

Was there an e-mail sent about this to her? Maybe it got triple-deleted.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

THC posted:

You miserable bitter son of a bitch, why I oughta--

One second thought maybe that shoulda been "heavy libs the crown".

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

THC posted:

It occurs to me that she can't opt BC out, just their provincial government. There's nothing stopping the committee from looking elsewhere in the province for feedback.
It just means ya'll don't need to worry about Christie Clarke having any influence in the senate picks, which is nice.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Funny how this comes out the same day as a Guardian article about how Uruguay has shifted to 95% renewable energy while also reducing electricity costs.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/03/uruguay-makes-dramatic-shift-to-nearly-95-clean-energy

It's funny because theoretically this is a similar system to what the OLP are doing, namely long contracts with fixed electricity prices. The difference appears to be, as Kafka Esq. said, that in Ontario it's corrupt as gently caress and used as a way to funnel public money into the hands of chosen corporations, whereas in Uruguay they're actually doing it as an open bidding process which means corporations actually compete with each other and drive prices down. Who knew.

63% of their capacity is hydro, which they have had for awhile, and while they have indeed been increasing solar/wind, they also import a large amount of energy from Argentina and Brazil, and in 2006 was nearly half their consumption, making the cost aspects of building solar/wind generation a lot more attractive (in addition to good conditions). Per capita consumption is 2,729, versus 12,750 in Ontario (Also 3.4 million vs 13.6 million people), which means the scale of things is much much lower.

This ain't to defend Ontario on this (it is quite clear they're bungling things quite badly), but to point out that even without the corruption i'm not confident that things would be exceptionally better. The problem is the idea and conditions, the implementation being complete crap just makes it worse.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Email us. Yes, we do send them out.

:( I never got a reply from the LPC, other than to fill out a broad survey about what issues are important to me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Vic Boss posted:

:( I never got a reply from the LPC, other than to fill out a broad survey about what issues are important to me.

Sorry. I can confirm your request is with them right now. I'll take you off the email list. Just we're like delayed as poo poo as we get the PMO set up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can you get Justin to at least grow a full dignified beard? Not the poo poo he tried to pull before, that was gross. Can he even grow a proper beard?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Liberal tax cut leaves most Canadians behind

NDP Tax Fairness proposal benefits the middle class and those working hard to join it

http://www.ndp.ca/news/liberal-tax-cut-leaves-most-canadians-behind

The Liberal government’s tax plan most benefits the wealthiest and leaves the majority behind. Canada’s progressive opposition has proposed an adjustment to improve the policy and extend the benefits to all middle class and working families.

Instead of applying the tax cut only to income in the second tax bracket, the NDP is calling for a cut to taxes on the first tax bracket and a boost to the Working Income Tax Benefit.

“The Liberal plan means zero benefit to two thirds of Canadians, while giving its biggest benefits to some of the wealthiest individuals in this country,” said NDP Finance critic Guy Caron (Rimouski-Neigette – Témiscouata – Les Basques). “As the progressive opposition, we are ready to fix the Liberal tax proposal so government action matches Liberal campaign rhetoric.”

Under the Liberal plan:

Median income earners making $31,320 get $0 in benefits.

Canadians earning between $11,000 and $45,000 would see $0 in benefits.

High-income earners making $210,000 would in fact get $270 in tax cuts.

Only people making more than $89,000 would receive the maximum benefit.

Under the NDP proposal:

Median income earners making $31,320 would get $200 in tax cuts.

People earning between $11,000 and $45,000 would see an average benefit of $172 in tax cuts.

High-income earners making $210,000 would pay $66 more in taxes rather than receiving the Liberal tax cut.

People making $44,701 will receive the maximum benefit of the policy.

“As it stands, the Liberal tax cut proposal leaves the bottom 67.5% of Canadian taxpayers behind while giving the largest benefits to people making between $89,000 and $200,000 per year,” said Caron. “That’s more of the old discredited trickle-down economics. We’ve offered a reasonable adjustment so that middle class and working families get the break they need.”

If they feel so strongly about this why didn't the NDP propose this during the election?

I'm assuming this proposal is uncosted, completely unviable and this press release is purely for PR purposes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

Hi jm,

I’m Georgina – one of the new MPs on our NDP team.

I’m from Saskatchewan, where New Democrats broke through for the first time in over a decade – by defeating Conservatives in ridings like mine on October 19th.

We did the same in Quebec, Southwestern Ontario, across the Prairies and on Vancouver Island.

44 New Democrats take their seats in Parliament today – and we’re ready to fight for you. From familiar faces like Charlie Angus and Linda Duncan to the newly elected like myself, Jenny Kwan, Daniel Blaikie, and many more. Meet your NDP team here and share the information with your friends:

https://www.ndp.ca/team

Stephen Harper may be gone, but his damage isn’t. There’s a lot of work ahead of us to get Canada on track.

We must take action on climate change now with targets and a plan to meet them. We must reject Stephen Harper’s job-killing TPP, not rubber-stamp it. And we need to get to work on electoral reform to make sure every vote counts in the next election.

Read about our NDP team and pass it along to your friends and family:

Meet the team. Share on Facebook. Share on Twitter.

Thanks,

Georgina

Georgina Jolibois
MP, Desnethé­–Missinippi­–Churchill River
Canada’s New Democrats

Still talking about Harper :raise:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coolwhoami posted:

63% of their capacity is hydro, which they have had for awhile, and while they have indeed been increasing solar/wind, they also import a large amount of energy from Argentina and Brazil, and in 2006 was nearly half their consumption, making the cost aspects of building solar/wind generation a lot more attractive (in addition to good conditions). Per capita consumption is 2,729, versus 12,750 in Ontario (Also 3.4 million vs 13.6 million people), which means the scale of things is much much lower.

This ain't to defend Ontario on this (it is quite clear they're bungling things quite badly), but to point out that even without the corruption i'm not confident that things would be exceptionally better. The problem is the idea and conditions, the implementation being complete crap just makes it worse.

No offence man but you clearly didn't read the article. First of all, it talks about how this is a development since a cross-party consensus on Uruguay's energy future was reached in 2008, so figures from 2006 are no longer relevant. Second, the article clearly addresses the issue of importing electricity:

quote:

“For three years we haven’t imported a single kilowatt hour,” Méndez says. “We used to be reliant on electricity imports from Argentina, but now we export to them. Last summer, we sold a third of our power generation to them.”

And third, while it's true that Uruguay is a much smaller place than Ontario, a) their p/c income is somewhere around $20,000 US so it's not like they're some poor backward developing country where no one has ever heard of electricity; and b) the fact that they have a smaller population also means they're doing this with a smaller tax base--there's not really any reason why a success like this couldn't be scaled up to a larger society. The biggest thing Uruguay has going for it, honestly, seems to just be the political will to actually do something about this rather than a) ignoring it or b) using it as an excuse for corruption.

Considering that a country most Canadians would consider developing or "third world" looks on track to achieve an 88% cut in carbon emission from their 2009-13 average by 2018 while simultaneously decreasing electricity costs and stopping energy imports, we in Canada should be ashamed of ourselves.

e: also looks like the figure you found for p/c electricity consumption was from 2008, so that may have changed since then as well.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 3, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vyelkin posted:

No offence man but you clearly didn't read the article. First of all, it talks about how this is a development since a cross-party consensus on Uruguay's energy future was reached in 2008, so figures from 2006 are no longer relevant. Second, the article clearly addresses the issue of importing electricity:

And third, while it's true that Uruguay is a much smaller place than Ontario, a) their p/c income is somewhere around $20,000 US so it's not like they're some poor backward developing country where no one has ever heard of electricity; and b) the fact that they have a smaller population also means they're doing this with a smaller tax base--there's not really any reason why a success like this couldn't be scaled up to a larger society. The biggest thing Uruguay has going for it, honestly, seems to just be the political will to actually do something about this rather than a) ignoring it or b) using it as an excuse for corruption.

Considering that a country most Canadians would consider developing or "third world" looks on track to achieve an 88% cut in carbon emission from their 2009-13 average by 2018 while simultaneously decreasing electricity costs and stopping energy imports, we in Canada should be ashamed of ourselves.

It's almost like we're the most uselessly corrupt country in the G7 or something!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

It's almost like we're the most uselessly corrupt country in the G7 or something!

Our results are doctored :argh: http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Geoff Regan has been elected Speaker Of The House. With the selection of Senator Furey of NL as Senate Speaker today, we are now lorded over by Atlantic Canada. Mwhahaha

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vancouver wins award at Paris climate summit. It truly is the greenest city.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

If they feel so strongly about this why didn't the NDP propose this during the election?

I'm assuming this proposal is uncosted, completely unviable and this press release is purely for PR purposes.

During the election they thought that instead of actually criticizing the Liberal plan they could just repeated the Conservative attack ads about how Trudeau "isn't ready" to lead. It's hardly surprising given that their may way of advertising their own platform was to talk about how "balanced" and "responsible" they were.

It was campaign via cargo cult rhetoric. Just keep describing yourself using words that you think voters have positive associations toward, and keep describing the enemy using words that voters have a negative associations toward, and show absolutely no flexibility when that plan clearly doesn't work. It's the new NDP's time tested strategy for remaining in third place and they had it on full display during the last campaign.

Even if we assume that voters are dumb, there are limits to how far you can go before even the stupidest person figures out you're condescending toward them. The NDP went well past that limit and paid the price for it.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sorry. I can confirm your request is with them right now. I'll take you off the email list. Just we're like delayed as poo poo as we get the PMO set up.

Would it help if I said that the photo would be a gift for CPC relatives?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Vic Boss posted:

Would it help if I said that the photo would be a gift for CPC relatives?

No, sorry. We wanna get these out as soon as we can. we have a big enough backlog.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I missed the past tence on import (imported), which to be fair does change the tone of that sentence. My point was that it was because they were massively importing energy that higher cost alternative sources would become more viable, especially since their needs are substantially lower than Ontario (both in overall capacity and per capita capacity). I absolutely understood their consensus, and was trying to establish that their reasoning was significantly influenced by their dependence on other countries for electricity. It also means that comparing electricity costs from the present to the past needs to take into account that imported electricity usually costs more than it would to produce; If they were higher as a result of this, then it's not hard to see why the costs have gone down. I don't know if this is the case because I don't have those figures, but I don't feel it is unreasonable to assume that the importation issue was certainly at play.

The rest of this just reinforces my point, Ontario will likely never have a political consensus with respect energy policy, thus making long term planning and implementation more difficult.

quote:

I'm going to use numbers from here to talk about this, so we're on the same page: http://cait.wri.org/profile/Uruguay

According to this (and it could very well be wrong, inaccurate, etc), Uruguay produced on average 34.44 Mt of GHG gross, 14.68 net after carbon sinks between 2009-2012(in this period the total fell about 1Mt). While this source does not provide year to year on other data, their agricultural sector produced 23.94 Mt of that in 2012. Their energy sector is responsible for 8.58 Mt in the same year, of which more than half is non-electric based (mostly transportation). This means that in order to accomplish their stated goal, they must also overhaul their agricultural industry and reduce other energy-sourced GHG emissions in addition to what they have done to get to that reduction target. This is for a country that has the benefit of low diversity in industry, plus land-use that is substantially reducing their impact.

I could bring Canada's numbers out, (and they are readily available there for comparison) but suffice to say we are at a net loss for land use and have extremely diverse sources of GHG production. That isn't to say we shouldn't strive to reduce these numbers but that there are many more things to deal with, and pointing to a country that was in an excellent position to make such changes doesn't say much about our own situation and needs.

quote:

e: also looks like the figure you found for p/c electricity consumption was from 2008, so that may have changed since then as well.

The Ontario figure is from 2005, so it too may have changed (I typically send a bit more time backgrounding this but I felt they were reasonably comparative for my point, but my point was not clear so).

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

New Speaker of the House, Geoff Regan, resists as he is dragged to the Speaker's Chair by PM Trudeau and interim Opposition Leader Ambrose. Upon taking his seat, his first order of business was to inform the house that he would not tolerate heckling. He was then roundly heckled.

quote:

MPs have elected Liberal Geoff Regan as Speaker of the House of Commons.

Regan, 56, who represents the riding of Halifax West, was first elected in 1993, defeated in 1997 and then re-elected in 2000, and has served as MP ever since.

He defeated fellow Liberals Denis Paradis and Yasmin Ratansi and Conservative Bruce Stanton.

Regan is the son of former Nova Scotia premier and federal cabinet minister Gerald Regan; his wife Kelly is a member of the provincial legislature.

Ottawa-area MP Mauril Belanger was expected to also be a candidate, but revealed on Monday that he has amyotrophic lateral sclerosis — ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease — and withdrew from the race.

Conservative MP Andrew Scheer, who held the post since 2011, opted not to run again, choosing instead to serve as Opposition House leader.

The election comes a day ahead of the Trudeau government’s first throne speech, to be delivered Friday by Gov. Gen. David Johnston.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 4, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
As much as I dislike Wynne, as a lover of absurd comedy, I absolutely enjoy her question period answers.

quote:

Mr. Patrick Brown: It’s time for the Premier to clear up the confusion that her transportation minister has caused.

Will the Premier tell us, was the Auditor General wrong when she said that the Liberals paid for new equipment, or did the Liberals mislead the Auditor General?

Hon. Kathleen O. Wynne: The standards that are in place are among the highest in North America, which is why our roads, for 13 years, have been the safest or the second safest in the province.

There are children in the galleries today, and I want to say to those children—because I have grandchildren. I was the Minister of Transportation. I ensured that the standards that we have in place are the highest possible. We have stuck to those standards, and I will say—

Hon. Kathleen O. Wynne: I want those children to be safe on the roads, whether they’re in cars or whether they’re in buses.

Hon. Kathleen O. Wynne: One of the conversations that we had when I was Minister of Transportation is in fact that we are adapting to new weather conditions—

Hon. Kathleen O. Wynne: I hear the heckling from the other side: “Oh, new weather conditions.” The reality is—

Hon. Kathleen O. Wynne: We are seeing the effects of climate change across this country. We are working. Why? It is very important that we have the right equipment, that we have the right amount of de-icing fluid. Things are changing in the north, in the south and across the globe. If the people opposite don’t want to acknowledge that, the children in the gallery certainly do.

The Speaker (Hon. Dave Levac): Stop the clock. Be seated, please. Thank you.

New question.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Ikantski posted:

As much as I dislike Wynne, as a lover of absurd comedy, I absolutely enjoy her question period answers.

If the forums don't survive this migration, I must let you know that I will miss your horrible, non-stop posts about how Wynne is devil-incarnate. :smith:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

If the forums don't survive, I'll miss all of you. with notable exceptions.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Georgia Straight posted:

Today, I received an email from a group called Friends of Science condeming the Alberta government's decision to phase out coal-fired power plants.

The society claimed that "renewables like wind and solar are economically and environmentally unsound".

Friends of Science has consistently criticized the Kyoto Protocol to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions. It's been linked to University of Calgary professor Barry Cooper, a pal of former Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Friends of Science and others groups' insistence on minimizing the role of human beings in climate change has drawn the ire of Ecojustice, which launches legal challenges on behalf of the environmental movement.

It's posted a public letter on its website urging the commissioner of competition, Jon Pecman, to investigate "false and misleading representations made by denier groups".

Ecojustice claims that these claims violate the Competition Act, which regulates advertising messages.

"Attempts to discredit the overwhelming scientific consensus that climate change is real and driven by human activity undermine the public interest by forestalling the clean energy transition we need," the letter states.

"Friends" of "Science" :rolleyes:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

As if I'd believe that anyone who is a friend of Harper is also a friend of science.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

BattleMaster posted:

As if I'd believe that anyone who is a friend of Harper is also a friend of science.

That's what gets me. After a decade of this, who are they fooling?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Stretch Marx posted:

That's what gets me. After a decade of this, who are they fooling?

#realchange

quote:

The new Chief of Staff to Canada's Minister of Natural Resources used to be the head of communications for the oil industry's lobby group?

Until last year, Janet Annesley was Vice President Communications for the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, a role that saw her sometimes denounce environmental critics, the Pembina Institute, CBC journalists or celebrities like Robert Redford, Leonardo DiCaprio and Neil Young.

But don't worry, Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr assures us he brought her on board as his first mate because she has a "broad understanding of the issues."

In fact, her understanding of the issues is so broad, she was even featured as a speaker on a 2013 boat cruise organized by conservative pundit Ezra Levant

http://www.pressprogress.ca/liberal_minister_new_chief_of_staff_was_a_speaker_on_ezra_levant_climate_skeptic_boat_cruise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone in communications is scum, he simply chose scum with direct experience with oil.