Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

Politics twists and changes. And the landslide effects of Hillary vs. Trump (or Cruz) would give her a lot of leeway to push whatever she'd like to in the first year or two.

Obama burned all his political currency to get the ACA (although he's making plenty of friends in the military industrial complex). Hillary is going to have to call in all her chips (and make some pretty serious promises) to get the nomination (I think). If she is nominated, and then elected, I don't think she'll want to bum rush the 2nd ammendment. I think she's got, what she (and her sponsors) considers, more important things to do.

Zeroisanumber posted:

You'd be doing me too much credit to compare me to Christoph Waltz.

I wanted to do the nazi thing. Hyperbole is the name of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Hillary is going to have to call in all her chips (and make some pretty serious promises) to get the nomination (I think). If she is nominated, and then elected, I don't think she'll want to bum rush the 2nd ammendment. I think she's got, what she (and her sponsors) considers, more important things to do.

Nah, she had the nomination locked up the second that Joe Biden decided not to run. Bernie was never a serious challenger, the democrats put mechanisms in place to prevent popular liberal outsiders from taking the nom after McGovern got his skis waxed by Nixon back in 1972.

I'll grant you that gun control probably won't be as high up on her list of priorities post-election, but Clinton is nothing if not mutable, and I could see her focusing on it if it remains a hot issue.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

spacetoaster posted:

Obama burned all his political currency to get the ACA (although he's making plenty of friends in the military industrial complex). Hillary is going to have to call in all her chips (and make some pretty serious promises) to get the nomination (I think).
the point you missed was that is a possibility that the next president will appoint the replacements for Justices Kennedy, Breyer, Ginsburg, and Scalia, presumably remaking the court with justices less likely to buy into the Heller line, emboldening states to corral our nation's insane gun problem. You don't need much "political currency" for a SCOTUS appointment in comparison to fixing a public health issue that happens to be worshiped by infantilized sociopaths

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

blackpresident.png

Alabama cops planted drugs and weapons on innocent minorities, and the DA covered it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFHpvPwq2i8&t=230s

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'll grant you that gun control probably won't be as high up on her list of priorities post-election, but Clinton is nothing if not mutable, and I could see her focusing on it if it remains a hot issue.

I'm certain she could care less about gun control. I imagine there might be some more dumb laws passed (like you can't have a gun that's the color black). But her campaign website shows what she's really excited about :

TenementFunster posted:

the point you missed was that is a possibility that the next president will appoint the replacements for Justices Kennedy, Breyer, Ginsburg, and Scalia, presumably remaking the court with justices less likely to buy into the Heller line

I didn't miss it. We were talking about Hilldog. But sure, that's a good point.

TenementFunster posted:

fixing a public health issue that happens to be worshiped by infantilized sociopaths

Separation of church and state?

wayfinder posted:

The ridiculous blah-blah of a bunch of murderers and would-be murderers doesn't matter, just ban those guns and be done with it, make the world a better place.

This why I don't worry about anyone doing anything about guns in our country.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 3, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The ridiculous blah-blah of a bunch of murderers and would-be murderers doesn't matter, just ban those guns and be done with it, make the world a better place.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

wayfinder posted:

That worked out well in France.

Also it's literally impossible to due because of that pesky bill of rights thing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if we banned guns though we might accidentally do something about the unprecedented suicide rate among middle aged white people and veterans

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 3, 2015

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Angry Boat posted:

NYT on a roll.

Well you have to admit the strategy of unfunding and/or obfuscating the research that says what you don't like works pretty well.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if we banned guns though we might accidentally do something about the unprecedented suicide rate among middle aged white people and veterans

Nah, we'll just do pills. I get a 30 count of percocet (sometimes loritab) just for having some aches whenever I go to community hospital.

Thanks Obama!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

I'm certain she could care less about gun control. I imagine there might be some more dumb laws passed (like you can't have a gun that's the color black). But her campaign website shows what she's really excited about :

She wasn't interested in drug treatment either until every person on her small town campaign stops brought up how their families were being eaten alive by heroin, now it's a full-fledged policy goal.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

She wasn't interested in drug treatment either until every person on her small town campaign stops brought up how their families were being eaten alive by heroin, now it's a full-fledged policy goal.

That's what it's going to take though. And right now this california shooting is a terrorism thing, and nobody even remembers the PP shooting.

Which really sucks because I want us to take in refugees.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

lol, as if our government has ever given a gently caress about vets. Lip service only does but so much, and they're happy to let vets continue offing themselves.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Thump! posted:

lol, as if our government has ever given a gently caress about vets. Lip service only does but so much, and they're happy to let vets continue offing themselves.

I had to debate a friend this morning because, to her, it's easier to believe that it's a concerted effort rather than people not caring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As a not-American I find the gun control 'debate' absolutely baffling and I have two questions for the pro gun crowd.

1. Are you aware how bizarre and strange your outlook is to everyone from other western countries?

2. What are the arguments 'pro' guns? Like I understand you want to avoid regulating them because of *reasons* but what are the 'pros' in your mind? Like what benefit to society/people/the nation is there if there are no/reduced restrictions on gun ownership and purchase, besides hobbyists being able to pew-pew at stuff? In the sense that education makes people smarter, health care makes people live longer and be more productive/happier etc, what do guns do that betters society?

Genuine questions.

Obligatory GIS image:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Who cares, really. Just ban the guns, don't even take their blathering into account.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

NYTimes is going in this week.

quote:

But the charge can be easily fleshed out with more examples. Writing for Slate last week, Jamelle Bouie argued that Trumpism, however ideologically inchoate, manifests at least seven of the hallmarks of fascism identified by the Italian polymath Umberto Eco. They include: a cult of action, a celebration of aggressive masculinity, an intolerance of criticism, a fear of difference and outsiders, a pitch to the frustrations of the lower middle class, an intense nationalism and resentment at national humiliation, and a “popular elitism” that promises every citizen that they’re part of “the best people of the world.”

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Mass Shooting Tracker

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

As a not-American I find the gun control 'debate' absolutely baffling and I have two questions for the pro gun crowd.

1. Are you aware how bizarre and strange your outlook is to everyone from other western countries?

2. What are the arguments 'pro' guns? Like I understand you want to avoid regulating them because of *reasons* but what are the 'pros' in your mind? Like what benefit to society/people/the nation is there if there are no/reduced restrictions on gun ownership and purchase, besides hobbyists being able to pew-pew at stuff? In the sense that education makes people smarter, health care makes people live longer and be more productive/happier etc, what do guns do that betters society?

Genuine questions.

Obligatory GIS image:

Replace 'gun' with 'penis' and you'll get the appeal.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

:yikes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fitting

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That article is actually pretty amazing because Douthat goes through of the trouble of labeling Trump-ism as a fascist movement but never makes the connection with the fact that he's ostensibly on the same side as the people that he's calling fascist.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

quote:

Australia Enjoys Another Peaceful Day Under Oppressive Gun Control Regime
As a result of the nation’s controversial and oppressive gun restrictions, no one has died as a result of a mass-shooting on Australian soil today, for the 7158th day in a row.

Local cinema attendant, Christina Upton can’t believe it has been a whole 19 years and 7 months since a heavily armed white Australian male decided to shoot at a crowd of unsuspecting Australian civilians for no reason.

She says the peaceful two decades that have followed are “probably” because the Australian government decided to strip her of a God-given right to own projectile weaponry capable of shooting down helicopters.
http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/australia-enjoys-another-peaceful-day-under-oppressive-gun-control-regime/

Unrelated:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tbf you don't need a gun to give a helicopter a bad day.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Cute, but total bullshit

... Meanwhile...

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I like the converse of what this image is obviously getting at. Make abortions super easy to get and explicitly protected by the constitution.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Thump! posted:

they're happy to let vets continue offing themselves.
to be fair, have you read GIP lately?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The Lieutenant Governor of Texas keeping it classy.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scratch Monkey posted:

Also it's literally impossible to due because of that pesky bill of rights thing.

Laws are, ideally, about shifting the probability of a certain outcome toward a favorable (or favored) direction. Laws outlawing murder, while ineffective at stopping all instances of murder, have the effect of reducing the number of murders (in establishing punishments for the crime, for example). From this crude utilitarian perspective, I think we can agree that laws against murder are effective and necessary, assuming you believe it is a matter of a nation's public policy to involve itself with mitigating the killing of its citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP1AoocnoXM

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scratch Monkey posted:

Double post. Uh, here's a pic of Horace Greeley.

Edible Hat fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 4, 2015

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's not impossible at all. The current SCOTUS interpretation of the 2nd amendment is far broader than all previous rulings. All it takes is for Scalia and Alito to finally shed their human skins and return to their mothership and it's very possible that the court would overturn DC vs Heller and revert to the previous, far more restrictive interpretation of US vs Cruikshank - which explicitly ruled out an individual right.

After the Oregon shooting.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Genuine questions.

Obligatory GIS image:

Well, the National Guard are the organized militia, and trace their heritage back to the Minute Men so, a good cartoon.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grj_HR715SQ

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I think that responsible persons who want to own firearms should be allowed to own firearms.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TenementFunster posted:

to be fair, have you read GIP lately?

I follow the Mil Pics and USMC threads, and I assume that anything I read in that forum is taken with a gigantic boulder of salt.

But yeah, whole lotta vets are shitheads, but then again a lot of people in this country are shitheads, and the military is a great microcosm of the poorer elements of US society.

Armyman25 posted:

Well, the National Guard are the organized militia, and trace their heritage back to the Minute Men so, a good cartoon.

Goddamn why do National Guard dudes always look like the biggest goobers?

If you block your face out, no one get's to see you look like a weirdo :colbert:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What's wrong with this anecdote

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Helen Highwater posted:

which explicitly ruled out an individual right.

Isn't it funny how when the word "people" is used in the bill of rights it refers to individual rights, except in the one case where you don't want it to? :wiggle:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

conservatives and liberals should reach across the aisle and solve this problem once and for all. the liberals need to accept guns from the conservative stockpiles and together kill the exploitative global economic elite before turning on one another

edit: global ideological civil war now

huskarl_marx fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 4, 2015

• Locked thread