Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Inzombiac posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard someone claim, "Oh, I've had everything planned out from the beginning."
Double for when they are a D&D GM.

Or D&D from GoT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

To get back on to movies, Christopher Priest has said that he wishes he'd thought of the monologue Michael Caine gives at the start of the trailer for The Prestige. And as George Lucas so adequately proved with the Star Wars Special Editions, art is never finished, only abandoned.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleph Null posted:

For a writer, a book is never finished. There are always new and better ideas.
At some point, you just have to stop and ship it.
I'm sure there were plenty of "why didn't I think of that earlier?" gnashing of teeth moments.

Why didn't I make Frodo and Sam kiss? He was giving all kinds of signals, it would have been perfect!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

To get back on to movies, Christopher Priest has said that he wishes he'd thought of the monologue Michael Caine gives at the start of the trailer for The Prestige. And as George Lucas so adequately proved with the Star Wars Special Editions, art is never finished, only abandoned.

Later he'll decide that Jackman's character comes across as too much of a bad guy and decide that Norton's character should shoot first :cheeky:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Later he'll decide that Jackman's character comes across as too much of a bad guy and decide that Norton's character should shoot first :cheeky:

This hosed me up because I think you meant Bale, not Norton. Norton was in The Illusionist, which was also about magic and came out like the same week The Prestige did.

Took me a second to remember they were two different movies.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

This hosed me up because I think you meant Bale, not Norton. Norton was in The Illusionist, which was also about magic and came out like the same week The Prestige did.

I spent the entire run time of The Illusionist wondering when Wolverine was going to show up. It was a supremely confusing film for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Joey Freshwater posted:

poo poo you're right. The two films just like blur together in my mind.

How about this for an Irritating Movie Moment:

Hollywood constantly does this thing where they find out somebody is making a movie so they rush to make the same movie at the same time, I guess to compete or steal their thunder or something. Its a huge dick move.

Antz vs A bug's life, for example. Same exact concept coming out at the same exact time from two different studios.

You see this poo poo constantly. "They're making a sci-fi movie! Lets make one!" "they're making a superhero movie, we should do that too." "Hey, disaster movie? Count us in too!"

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Dec 3, 2015

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Zaphod42 posted:

Hollywood constantly does this thing where they find out somebody is making a movie so they rush to make the same movie at the same time, I guess to compete or steal their thunder or something. Its a huge dick move.

Antz vs A bug's life, for example. Same exact concept coming out at the same exact time from two different studios.

You see this poo poo constantly. "They're making a sci-fi movie! Lets make one!" "they're making a superhero movie, we should do that too." "Hey, disaster movie? Count us in too!"

Cross promotion. They get to make a similar (thing) and not spend half as much on advertising it because the other guy already did it for them. Which is why you see movies come out in pairs like that.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I watched those two movies about the White House being attacked back to back and now they've run together with the GI Joe White House part in my memory. That was just such a specific thing for there to be more than one movie about, my brain's decided it was all one movie with a huge cast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

There were also those two rom-coms about fuckbuddies within like a six-month span a few years back.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Not to mention the two Herculeses. Herculi? Herculodes?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zaphod42 posted:

Dante's Peak/Volcano and Deep Impact/Armageddon are the ones that bothered me most about that

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Caedus posted:

I watched those two movies about the White House being attacked back to back and now they've run together with the GI Joe White House part in my memory. That was just such a specific thing for there to be more than one movie about, my brain's decided it was all one movie with a huge cast.

Wasn't Channing Tatum in more than one of those movies, also? That probably doesn't help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Not to mention the two Herculeses. Herculi? Herculodes?

And they were both garbage too.

AnonSpore posted:

Dante's Peak/Volcano and Deep Impact/Armageddon are the ones that bothered me most about that

Yeah it was when Deep Impact / Armageddon came out that I first noticed it as a kid and said "hey!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Antz was really, REALLY bad.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not quite so "irrational" but gently caress the Ilusionist is a garbage film.

My biggest gripe (apart from the whole, cause a man to commit suicide cause we dont like him plot :| ) is that the "magic" in the context of the movie audience is entirely real. The orange tree, the "ghosts" etc.. are shown with special effects designed to make them look like real magic is being done. Then the movie shows us how they were all tricks all along despite them being LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE PULLED OFF IN THE 19TH CENTURY.

Its like watching those awful tv "street" magicians who do amazing tricks that turn out to be post editing and just actors. So you know, no different to any other film maker ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Antz was really, REALLY bad.

I like it better than bug's life :shrug: To each his own.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Patattack posted:

Wasn't Channing Tatum in more than one of those movies, also? That probably doesn't help.

White House Down was the Tatum one, Olympus Has Fallen was the other one.

Which reminds me that 22 Jump Street had a line in it about Tatum's role in that movie. And also reminded me that Olympus Has Fallen is getting a sequel: "London Has Fallen".

And THAT makes me wonder if "Salt" is getting a sequel. Edit: Nope because the extended cut that was later released tied up the "Sequel" thread.

Eldritch BiLast has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Dec 3, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nutsngum posted:

My biggest gripe (apart from the whole, cause a man to commit suicide cause we dont like him plot :| ) is that the "magic" in the context of the movie audience is entirely real. The orange tree, the "ghosts" etc.. are shown with special effects designed to make them look like real magic is being done. Then the movie shows us how they were all tricks all along despite them being LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE PULLED OFF IN THE 19TH CENTURY.

Its like watching those awful tv "street" magicians who do amazing tricks that turn out to be post editing and just actors. So you know, no different to any other film maker ever.

Now You See Me is like that too.

Most of the magic is just actual magic. They explain a couple of tricks, but there's lots of other stuff they do that's just not possible to fake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

You can kinda explain that as being the movie is the audience's interpretation and not literal fact; unreliable narrator and all that.

But in film those kinds of elements are often very frustrating, since yeah, you can see it and its generally assumed that the camera is an unbiased point of view unless otherwise explicitly shown.

Its like in Game of Thrones, there's a whole bit in the book where Barriston Selmy goes to Daenerys but you don't know its him. Its just some old man because nobody in Essos recognizes him. Then Ser Jorah shows up and the book is suddenly like "Barriston Semy says" and you're like "Whaaaat!"

But something like that just flat out doesn't work in film. You'd recognize the actor right away unless they went to huge levels to hide his face, in which case something would obviously be going on. And if they just swapped the actor, then the later reveal would feel like you were being cheated, it would seem "unfair".

There's a ton of dramas and heist films and such that only work because they depend upon audience ignorance of something the characters know the whole time and I generally hate that. Even worse is when a character starts talking like they're about to explain whats going to happen and then the camera just conveniently cuts away so you don't get to hear it.

Anime is especially guilty of this, they love to use pronouns to build (fake) tension. "I'm going to use THAT technique!"
"Oh no, not THAT technique!!!"

"What happened?"
"I think HE finally escaped."
"Not.... HIM!"

Dun dun dunn! Tune in next week to find out what the gently caress these characters were talking about!

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Dec 3, 2015

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Nutsngum posted:

My biggest gripe (apart from the whole, cause a man to commit suicide cause we dont like him plot :| )

I was waiting that entire movie for them to show that the prince (or duke or count or whatever he was) was a bad guy and deserved what happened but they never did and that really bothered me.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Depressio111117 posted:

I was waiting that entire movie for them to show that the prince (or duke or count or whatever he was) was a bad guy and deserved what happened but they never did and that really bothered me.

I thought it was pretty funny when Paul Giamatti was reminiscing about all the staged scenes throughout the movie that he'd just figured out and was laughing about it. "That rascally rabbit illusionist tricked a guy into killing himself!"
Maybe it was dark comedy the whole time and we didn't 'get it.'

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Depressio111117 posted:

Yeah they talk about a rumor that he hurt his last girlfriend or whatever but they never confirm it. Also the whole thing seems way too vindictive when they could have just faked her death and got her out of there without tormenting the guy/making it look like he killed her.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Zaphod42 posted:

The latest Bond and MI films did this as well, and I think I read that MI: Rogue Nation's release was brought forwards so they could get there first. Spy films have been really over-done this year: when I saw Rogue Nation, literally every trailer was for a spy film.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I read a theory somewhere that the way it works is a table full of Hollywood hacks are spitballing ideas, two of them come away with the same basic idea, write a script, get greenlight/funding etc and sign contracts before finding out about the other one. Then because it's advantageous to both for reasons explained above, Hollywood momentum takes over and two pieces of poo poo get crapped out.

Very few of these "doubles" movies are worth a drat, wonder what the connection is.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've always wondered about about sexual assault on the Hogwarts campus. Any place that mixes 14-17 year old boys, "love potions" and memory erasing spells would be rape central. Does Hogwarts do what most colleges in these cases do and just cover everything up? Do they tell the girls " It was your own fault for not practicing your Legumitilitis or not having your anti rape patroneus summoned"?

Could you just make a polyp juice potion of a girl's boyfriend, knock him out, drink the potion and then just bang his girlfriend all day with her being none the wiser? It worked in Revenge of the Nerds.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I've always wondered about about sexual assault on the Hogwarts campus. Any place that mixes 14-17 year old boys, "love potions" and memory erasing spells would be rape central. Does Hogwarts do what most colleges in these cases do and just cover everything up? Do they tell the girls " It was your own fault for not practicing your Legumitilitis or not having your anti rape patroneus summoned"?

Could you just make a polyp juice potion of a girl's boyfriend, knock him out, drink the potion and then just bang his girlfriend all day with her being none the wiser? It worked in Revenge of the Nerds.

What a dark and creepy thing to always wonder about.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Harry broke curfew once and had to wander a haunted loving forest with things out to kill him. I'm pretty sure the Headmasters and Professor Maggie Smith would have no tolerance for that and send the 14 year old straight to Azkaban for magic abuse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Could you just make a polyp juice potion

Ewwww.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I nerd out about a lot of minor details in movies and books and poo poo but I have never once wondered this at all. Its a loving book.

Source your quotes :stonk:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jerusalem posted:

I love that the whole human cast spends the entire time being huge douchebags towards their own "intelligent" creation and belittling the idea he could have thoughts/feelings, then being surprised and shocked when they discover their own creators feel the same way about them.

I actually like Prometheus and am fairly certain that how stupid and shortsighted everyone is totally intentional. I mean it's not nearly as good as Alien or Aliens but it's far better than Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection and at least as good as Planet of the Vampires.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Based on Rowling's description of Valentine's Day at Hogwarts, it's best not to think about it.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I can't believe I'm responding to something like this, but I believe it was mentioned that they're very difficult to brew and require some rare ingredients. Way beyond the talents/means of a teenager

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

screaden posted:

I can't believe I'm responding to something like this, but I believe it was mentioned that they're very difficult to brew and require some rare ingredients. Way beyond the talents/means of a teenager

Except the three teenagers that make them in whichever book it is. I mean, the argument there is "Hermione is a prodigy and is wizarding at a much higher level than other students" but it's not impossible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Memento posted:

Except the three teenagers that make them in whichever book it is. I mean, the argument there is "Hermione is a prodigy and is wizarding at a much higher level than other students" but it's not impossible.

It takes months to brew, requires stealing from Snape himself, and also requires a book from the restricted section.

But yeah, its pretty hard to imagine other people wouldn't be able to also.

But at risk of engaging in this topic, the ministry of magic probably considers most polyjuice use a crime and you get into serious trouble? Then again, if Hermione can get away with it... :v:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The Weasley twins did it for sure

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Took turns and everything

Now she is bathroom ghost

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

syscall girl posted:

Now she is bathroom ghost

stay safe bathroom ghost

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I actually like Prometheus and am fairly certain that how stupid and shortsighted everyone is totally intentional. I mean it's not nearly as good as Alien or Aliens but it's far better than Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection and at least as good as Planet of the Vampires.

It's not even as good as Alien 3.

It's starts so well I love David hanging out watching Lawerance of Arabia but then it just gets stupider & stupider.

Angry alien is fine and some of the characters are good but it's just a loving soggy mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

It's not even as good as Alien 3.

It's starts so well I love David hanging out watching Lawerance of Arabia but then it just gets stupider & stupider.

Angry alien is fine and some of the characters are good but it's just a loving soggy mess.

Yeah but its better than Alien Resurrection :cheeky: