Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You could try loading a world without planets and pasting a planet in creative...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well after getting frustrated with trying to build a mining truck, I decided to just steal materials from the nearby pirate base instead! And this isn't the little outpost I'm talking about, this is the big headquarters on the earth planet. My experience has been very successful.

Here's the what do guide:
When you get there, there's going to be this drones spawning quite often. Sometimes it's the "stinging adversaries" that you're all used to, and sometimes it's these bigger, saucer types that are harder to shoot down. They have much more engines than the other, have a gatling turret on the bottom, and a missile turret on the top. But you can just attack from the bottom or top and quickly take out one of the turrets and just laser-beam right through the middle and make it useless.

What you will see!
The whole base has several islands, each one is themed such as "ore processing," "salvaging," "crew," etc. And one main, big island in the middle. And then there's the turret towers surrounding them near the bottom.

Their spawn antenna!
The big island in the middle is where these drones are popping out of. At first I thought it was the antennas on the top. Nope it's this one antenna that's in a heavy-armor room, surrounded by personnel turrets, which is in turn inside a light-armor room, which is inside the big building. Kinda ridiculous.

Kill outside things!
The first thing you should do is to take out the big turrets from 900ish meters away. There's a lot of them. There's also a few outer mini-turrets outside that can be annoying. When I was doing this the drones that were spawning weren't pursuing me, so it made this task easy.

Kill antenna/drones!
After you take out most of the turrets, zoom on in closer and take out the drones real quick. Then take your gatlings and bullet-drill right into the middle of the middle island where the antenna is. Be aware of the little turrets inside as you're making this hole. Once that antenna is kaput, blow up any remaining turrets outside.

Don't hack any terminals!
If you hack any terminals in the base, all of the inside turrets will go batshit and start shooting everything! I assume they're trying to shoot through the base and kill the hacked terminal, but I don't know. It bogged down my frames tremendously when I did this and it really isn't necessary anyways.

EZPZ!
Be very careful going inside these buildings each large cargo container is surrounded with explosives that trigger when someone gets close. Each warhead has a sensor on it that triggers if you even get a little bit close. If that happens then all that juicy cargo is gone. I think it would explode if you get within 4 or so large blocks of it. Don't shoot the sensors or the warheads! Your mission now is to shoot and kill all batteries and reactors you see. And everything is connected even the turret towers! The turret towers also each have their own battery, which is sometimes underground. Don't worry about ammo or if you forgot to bring a drill, the crew quarters island has way more ammo than you will ever need as well as a bunch of tools. And watch out for indoor turrets, there's a lot of them. They're kind of easy to see though, since they're red and the rest of the base is varying shades of brown and grey. There's some batteries that you would have to shoot rather than grind since they're too close to exploders, but in this case you can hover outside in your ship and shoot through the window at it. There are a lot of batteries, and the ones in the turret towers outside also need to go.

Once everything is powered down, CONGRATS! You can now walk right up to those warheads and dismantle them all easy like. Hack those cargos and dismantle any other turrets you may have missed. The islands should all be connected with conveyors, so once you make the base "safe" you can power it back up with one of the reactors on the middle island and bring over your cargo-ship and suck up all the loot at one of the connectors! Lots of loot! one of the cargos also had 800 superconductors too!

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 27, 2015

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
So I picked this up during the sale and have been working through the tutorials. On tutorial 03 energy it says to connect the two sides of the station or something. It seems as if you should just G to the item menu or whatever and select the first box on there and just spam those across the room between the two ramps. When I try to build them across the room though, it will never let you connect to the other ramp. I've tried to start on both sides and either way you always end up not being able to build the last square. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it just bugged?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I feel like Keen rushed planets too hard, there have been some pretty bad game-breaking bugs since their release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

I feel like Keen rushed planets too hard, there have been some pretty bad game-breaking bugs since their release.

Things were going to break regardless. It's a 15-30 man development team vs millions of different PC hardware configurations and there comes a point they just have to let stuff break out in the wild so they know what actually needs fixing.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Stuff like power generation/consumption breaking isn't due to the variety of hardware in use, though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

GotLag posted:

That's just how this stuff works. People have been clamoring for months for them to just "go ahead and release planets" and so finally they have and now it's "oh planets are buggy, why didn't you work on this longer?". You can't win as an indie dev that tries to please your playerbase.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

Stuff like power generation/consumption breaking isn't due to the variety of hardware in use, though.

It does from trying to optimize the house of cards that is their source code though.

Also wanted to try making a large ship that could do more than smash into the surface of a planet, so I figured why not scale up one that works :v:.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That shuttle reminds me of the Python, in the best possible ways:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also wanted to try making a large ship that could do more than smash into the surface of a planet, so I figured why not scale up one that works :v:.

The only correct solution

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Decided to actually remove the shuttlebay in the end, as it eats up a few decks worth of precious internal space. Instead, I did this;

May as well make use of the Hullrider version, and I think it actually looks better on the whole. There's also an airlock on both sides to mount more shuttles, or general cargo transfer.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You'll have to be careful with those docking maneuvers though, as it's a rather tight space. :ohdear:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So are cameras not telescopes anymore? I can't seem to zoom super far anymore.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Decided to actually remove the shuttlebay in the end, as it eats up a few decks worth of precious internal space. Instead, I did this;

May as well make use of the Hullrider version, and I think it actually looks better on the whole. There's also an airlock on both sides to mount more shuttles, or general cargo transfer.

How long does your hydrogen supplys last when you've got them running? Since im guessing the atmospheric flight does quite a drain on that. Or at least from sub orbital to leaving planets gravity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TwatHammer posted:

How long does your hydrogen supplys last when you've got them running? Since im guessing the atmospheric flight does quite a drain on that. Or at least from sub orbital to leaving planets gravity.

I've built it as a scaled-up version of the Kestrel shuttle, which doesn't rely on Hydrogen for continuous flight. It just uses them as a little extra boost for a vertical takeoff, then it can hover and fly fine on Atmosphere and Ion thrusters. Aside from takeoff, the Hydrogen thrusters are mainly for momentary boosts (especially the sole Large thruster on the back). I still need to test the bigass version on a planet though. Gotta finish the interior and connect everything.

McGiggins posted:

You'll have to be careful with those docking maneuvers though, as it's a rather tight space. :ohdear:

Nah, the lateral thrusters aren't all that fast without the Hydrogen ones assisting, so it's pretty easy to slot in. Especially once the Connector pulls the shuttle's one.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So are cameras not telescopes anymore? I can't seem to zoom super far anymore.

Got tagged as a bug in the official forums. I hope this gets fixed or at least bumped back to being useful.
[01.110.005] Camera Zoom is Broken

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Moddington posted:

This is sexy as hell. Do you have a shot like this but from just outside, showing the hillside it burrows into?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try Eikester's Nuke Launcher if you want something to excavate big caverns with.

It punches big spherical holes in the ground :v:. That is an amazing underground base, and n'thing that I want to see how it looks from the outside.

Thanks guys. I was away for Thanksgiving, so here's more stuff. Expect to be thoroughly underwhelmed.

Front entrance. It's underwhelming and hidden away, as I want it to be. It's also not complete, maybe when it's done there will be a few turrets outside or something.

Flying overhead is my fleet of built-on-the-spot drillers and space-clearers. They can't fit inside so I just ctrl-c them in as needed :allears:

And this is the beautiful mountain that I chose for my base. It's tall and most importantly, wide at the top so I can hollow out a portion of it for a aircraft hangar entrance. But i'm getting ahead of myself.

Extent of the base so far. It's not a lot because clearing rock takes an eternity.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You better be putting a Stargate in there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Painted up my upsized Kestrel to match its little shuttle origins.

The inside's almost finished too, save for lighting and some programming. Some of these pics I grabbed before painting the ship.

A mini CIC. Pretty much just a room for consoles and ship stats on LCD's.

Dorsal airlock. From here you climb up into the shuttle, and there's a medical console to refuel off of.

Main Flight Deck. There's an LCD on the wall on either side just out of sight for basic ship status stuff (Fuel, hyperdrive charge level, etc).

Secondary Flight Deck. Wanted to add more windows as it's an aerospace craft instead of my usual flying fortresses, and I kinda picture it as some poor bastard getting stuck guiding the ship in to land safely on a planet from that seat.

Also swapped the atmospheric thrusters for Hydrogen, seeing as the Large Block thrusters don't suck tanks dry in seconds. It's a real fat bastard trying to take off from a planet surface.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

My big ship thing has a bunch of smaller ships attached to it, and I just discovered why the connectors keep disconnecting! When I'm in the big ship pilot seat, pressing P would turn off all ship connectors temporarily.

This really messes up my small ship "supercomputer" that is just a bunch of timers and program blocks. It's meant to stay connected 100%. Is there any way to ensure that individual connectors stay locked all the time?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

My big ship thing has a bunch of smaller ships attached to it, and I just discovered why the connectors keep disconnecting! When I'm in the big ship pilot seat, pressing P would turn off all ship connectors temporarily.

This really messes up my small ship "supercomputer" that is just a bunch of timers and program blocks. It's meant to stay connected 100%. Is there any way to ensure that individual connectors stay locked all the time?

Small-block timers and programming blocks are great for large ships :allears:. I abuse the poo poo out of that trick for my big battleships (especially the Avalon), and there's a much easier way than Connectors.; Use a Rotor instead Disconnect the Large Block rotor head, angle a Small Block one close enough that the rotor base gives the option to lock it, and do so. Use some maglock/landing gear blocks to secure your fancy new supercomputer core permanently in place by switching them off once they're locked and you're set.

I actually uploaded a pure-vanilla version of my battleship's processing core a while ago for anyone wanting a quick-and-dirty one to install in their own stuff.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'll have to do that rotor trick then. Still, pressing P still disconnects all my docked ships.

Maybe I should just not use landing gear on my huge ship for landing? What do you guys think I should use instead? Just armor blocks?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Put the landing gear in a group and manually toggle the lock from the hot bar. I hate the way those toggles work, dock my ship hit Y to power off, yay now all the ships are off. :v: (and it doesn't even toggle solar or batts s if you got them it wont turn off when you want it off)

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acVnO4cLHg

quote:

Features
- new weapon / tool tiers

Fixes
- various performance improvements
- fixed game freezes when drilling
- fixed crash when loading world
- fixed sound on alien planet
- fixed crash with connectors
- fixed station not aligning correctly

For the lazy: Tools and assault rifles now come in four tiers. Tools get faster if you buy the higher tiers, upgraded assault rifles are either "precise", "rapid fire" or a little bit better than stock at both but not as good as the specialized ones.

Seems like the basic tools don't require as insanely many metals as they used to either, you can make them all with some mix of iron, cobalt, nickel and silicon. The higher tiers require other metals.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, not much of an update.

We need an end game, a reason to build the things and fight the other players.

Like, destroy the Space Nazi fortress or something, before anyone else can claim the Alien Spaceship inside it.

This game has great freedom to do many things, but no reason to do them at the moment, other than "gently caress that guy over there".

:(

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

McGiggins posted:

Hmm, not much of an update.

We need an end game, a reason to build the things and fight the other players.

Like, destroy the Space Nazi fortress or something, before anyone else can claim the Alien Spaceship inside it.

This game has great freedom to do many things, but no reason to do them at the moment, other than "gently caress that guy over there".

:(

I kind of feel like that's the million dollar question. Is the game ever going to evolve into less of a sandbox and more of an objective based game? I really would love a reason to exist in survival mode that was deeper than gathering more materials to make bigger ships.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
One of the problems is, it would be all too easy to build some sort of doom fortress in the depth of space that must be destroyed before Y=(Time Limit) or X=(poo poo ton of Pirates Spawn) will happen, but given the way the game works, any have smart engineer will simply build a machine that flings inert armor projectiles from way out of range that would grind it to bits with no effort or risk.

For example, needing to build an extremely resource intensive machine that was required to stop the sun from exploding or halting a massive meteor shower (thus destroying everything) would be cool, and your reward could be a whole new set of very rich asteroids to harvest, but with the penalty of having respawning Pirates that will harvest and build with an eye towards denying the player territory and resources.

It give players a Thing To Do, and Reason To Interact, as they fight to be the first to Do The Thing.

I dunno, that's just what I was able to think of in 5 minutes, I'm sure a deeper discussion of the problem could yield much better solutions than mine.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Thats why I like From The Depths, its got the block building moving vehicles(but only air and sea) like SE and campaign mode where you fight other enemies. Plus it does other stuff that SE should do, like mapping controls for advanced ships, rotors that don't explode, AI, the modular gun and engine systems.

It doesn't have the deforming blocks and the UI is extreme jank but its still fun.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Ass_Burgerer posted:

You could try loading a world without planets and pasting a planet in creative...

Yeah when you approach the planet from afar it works. God only knows...

McGiggins posted:

I dunno, that's just what I was able to think of in 5 minutes, I'm sure a deeper discussion of the problem could yield much better solutions than mine.

I mean Space Engineers had already quite the evolution and maybe it's not misplaced to feel optimistic about it but man, I just sort of don't believe it'll ever move past being this sandbox.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Moving beyond the sandbox is what the scenario editor is for. That thing needs to be more robust, or moddable in itself.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
ARGH

I had a huge effort post typed up and submitted it just as the forums went down.

TLDR, I had an idea.

You're welcome.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I wonder if this game could use an EVE-lite sort of galactic system. Each local server or MP server is it's own system within the giant galaxy. Those said systems would be safe zones, where you're free to base build and design / plan without much fear of griefers. Conversely there would be certain MMO-style 'systems' where people could warp in (or take a relay to) that have large amounts of resources for exploitation, but is also open to PVP. Think of it like nullsec in EVE.

A large portion of the fun in this game is getting a base and building cool things. It loses it's luster when you can't really do anything with those things though. Enabling people to get together to either build grander things, or blow up each other's poo poo would be fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I think would work is adding a full fleet of ships among the random encounters/spawns, like what you see in the new menu movies and planet trailer. Something big and dangerous that you either have to work to pick off an outlier picket ship for minor profit as the rest jump away and leave it behind, or wade in with a battleship of your own to slug it out with the big boys for their vast ammo stores and repair materials.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jigoku San posted:

Put the landing gear in a group and manually toggle the lock from the hot bar. I hate the way those toggles work, dock my ship hit Y to power off, yay now all the ships are off. :v: (and it doesn't even toggle solar or batts s if you got them it wont turn off when you want it off)

You can at least unbind the Y power toggle, and force yourself to use control bars. Unfortunately the P key is the colour picker as well as landing gear toggle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

You can at least unbind the Y power toggle, and force yourself to use control bars. Unfortunately the P key is the colour picker as well as landing gear toggle.

I wish there was an option on things like Reactors and Connectors to designate whether or not they're controlled by the keyboard commands :sigh:.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm running super god drat slow now in my game. What's happening?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I'm running super god drat slow now in my game. What's happening?

Check your sim speed. Are you on a server. Can you space master around?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

How can I check sim speed? I'm offline singleplayer and I get good framerates it's just now I'm like moving in super slow-mo.

E: I have a sim speed of 0.43. UUUUGH. How do I make it 1? This is horrible.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 4, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Seeing as people liked the other ones, have a cutaway.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

How can I check sim speed? I'm offline singleplayer and I get good framerates it's just now I'm like moving in super slow-mo.

E: I have a sim speed of 0.43. UUUUGH. How do I make it 1? This is horrible.

Wait for the hotfix when they "optimize" their new optimizations :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm going to guess that my low sim speed has to do with my CPU not being able to simulate physics for the accumulated mass of floating items and debris from dozens of drones and other things. Trash removal seems to still be broked.

Also new really weird problem; whenever I get close to docking my small travel ship onto this specific connector on my ship, the game immediately crashes. It's just this one ship and that one connector, too. What's the deal there?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seeing as people liked the other ones, have a cutaway.

Wait for the hotfix when they "optimize" their new optimizations :v:.

I see you're using hydrogen reactors mod which is cool. I just got that one, have yet to actually poke at it though. Is that an extra large hydrogen tank? Sorry about spamming this thread with my problems btw. I'll be posting some nice content pictures of my dumb survival wienership soon.

• Locked thread