Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

I didn't get it either and "knows famous penny arcade panels" or whatever is a pretty niche prerequisite for a joke.

edit: also "asking the on-call nurse where a room is" isnt really the same as Opposition, and "doctor regretfully explaining what happened" isn't Browbeat. I give this a 1/10

It wasn't my original joke (but I'm glad people liked it), I said I copied it off of someone on Tumblr.

But you're right, it can be improved.

VV: Oh I know, I was mostly commenting on how Opposition and Browbeat don't fit super well. :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Serperoth posted:

It wasn't my original joke (but I'm glad people liked it), I said I copied it off of someone on Tumblr.

I'm not making GBS threads on you for posting it, just glad someone else didnt get it because I felt dumb.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Chamale posted:

Mishras Workshop
Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoths Will
Necropotence
Tolarian Academy
Mana Crypt
Tinker
Bazaar of Baghdad

I keep seeing necro, but no one has mentioned Yawgmoth's Bargain. Bargain seems a lot more busted and I know there's at least one deck that runs it in vintage, is necro just that much better?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I don't get it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

A friend of mine passed me an Inferno Titan in M12 draft for that reason.

I had a veteran player at my LGS pass me a Tasigur during our first Fate Reforged draft. When I asked him why, he said the card was poo poo. Then, he got mad with it jumped to $12 the next week. Some things just aren't obvious to some people without the meta evidence to show them whether a card is "good" or not.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Serperoth posted:

VV: Oh I know, I was mostly commenting on how Opposition and Browbeat don't fit super well. :)

I originally thought the joke was "Don't kill the messenger" lol

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

I originally thought the joke was "Don't kill the messenger" lol

When I first saw it, I tried to see a combo. :downs:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I had a veteran player at my LGS pass me a Tasigur during our first Fate Reforged draft. When I asked him why, he said the card was poo poo. Then, he got mad with it jumped to $12 the next week. Some things just aren't obvious to some people without the meta evidence to show them whether a card is "good" or not.
People tend to downgrade a card if it has an ability that isn't relevant even if the card is still good without it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
People vastly underrate cost-reductions in general

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

GeneX posted:

Yeah all the recent delve cards had this. People saw Cruise as "Ancestral, if you get really super lucky" rather than "a pushed Inspiration or Divination that is sometimes Ancestral"

The bannings of Cruise and Dig probably mean we won't see cards like it again soon, which is a shame because a couple broken cards every now and again is cool.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah all the recent delve cards had this. People saw Cruise as "Ancestral, if you get really super lucky" rather than "a pushed Inspiration or Divination that is sometimes Ancestral"

The bannings of Cruise and Dig probably mean we won't see cards like it again soon, which is a shame because a couple broken cards every now and again is cool.

They were fine in standard, and I think that's all R&D really cares about. They don't really want old cards dictating what they can put in standard, and legacy and modern are big boys who can take care of themselves.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dr. Stab posted:

They were fine in standard, and I think that's all R&D really cares about. They don't really want old cards dictating what they can put in standard, and legacy and modern are big boys who can take care of themselves.

I want to see Jeskai Ascendancy get its last hurrah before it rotates out into obscurity.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

I want to see Jeskai Ascendancy get its last hurrah before it rotates out into obscurity.

Whatever happened to that being the one card from Khans that was totally going to break Modern?

It's always sad at rotation to say goodbye to the cool rares that aren't quite good enough for modern and were powerful enough for Standard but just never had the right deck to go in.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jeskai Ascendancy definitely got various hurrahs throughout the competitive scene, it was just never a dominant deck. For cool and powerful rare that never saw play, I think more people would go for Empty the Pits. Everyone was hyping that up.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Whatever happened to that being the one card from Khans that was totally going to break Modern?

It's always sad at rotation to say goodbye to the cool rares that aren't quite good enough for modern and were powerful enough for Standard but just never had the right deck to go in.

I'm going to have this problem with Sarkhan Unbroken next year. :sigh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

Ascendancy did break modern for a while (as long as Cruise was still legal). But it was a 4 color monstrosity that could sometimes kill on turn 3.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I told people I was going to build goblins.dec when M15 came out, friend of mine with a standard win-rate of 80%+ in matches asked me why I wasn't looking into building a serious deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GeneX posted:

Cost-reduction is an easy concept to abuse and/or break in general, just look at Affinity, Delve, Phyrexian mana etc. You might even be able to consider Storm as a kind of cost-reduction since it lets you cast a given spell multiple times for less than it would if you were just casting multiple copies of the same card from your hand. A while back I had a whole thesis dreamed up in my head about how anything that skirts the in-game economy of "you can't get more value out of a card than what you put in" is going to eventually be broken under the right circumstances, but I forgot most of it (and also realized I shouldn't be putting this much thought into a card game for babies). I don't even know if that's the right way to describe what I'm talking about.

E: Cascade too! Or at least Value All-Star BBE.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 4, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

it's in the name, man

no false advertising or anything

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

One of the guys at my LGS is playing him in a Modern RUG Goodstuff deck that he brewed up. Apparently to some level of success too. :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

C-Euro posted:

Cost-reduction is an easy concept to abuse and/or break in general, just look at Affinity, Delve, Phyrexian mana etc. You might even be able to consider Storm as a kind of cost-reduction since it lets you cast a given spell multiple times for less than it would if you were just casting multiple copies of the same card from your hand. A while back I had a whole thesis dreamed up in my head about how anything that skirts the in-game economy of "you can't get more value out of a card than what you put in" is going to eventually be broken under the right circumstances, but I forgot most of it (and also realized I shouldn't be putting this much thought into a card game for babies). I don't even know if that's the right way to describe what I'm talking about.

There's a theory that everything has a certain mana value, and the player who gets the most value is the one who wins. Something like Tarmogoyf is good because a 4/5 on the curve is 4.5 mana, so you're getting value - it's an extra 2.5 mana for just 1G. Healing Salve doesn't get played because gaining 3 life for a card is such a bad effect it's worth less than 0 mana.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'd love to see a Flame's Journey. Same CMC as Treasure Cruise, but Red and dealing 4 damage.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SaffronOlive posted:

Obviously we cannot control what cards Wizards puts at Mythic. When it comes down to it, the choice is theirs and theirs alone. If they wanted, they could look at the Future Future League results, try to pick the 15 most playable Standard cards, and stick them all at Mythic Rare. We couldn't do a drat thing about it.

You could not play standard

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Ascendancy did break modern for a while (as long as Cruise was still legal). But it was a 4 color monstrosity that could sometimes kill on turn 3.

Speak of the devil. CF posted a run of Modern Jeskai Ascendancy yesterday. I have to agree that it is more-or-less a bad twin deck at this point, but it looks fun to play even if going through the motions on MODO is a pain in the rear end.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm really glad Dark Petition is seeing play in legacy and vintage while not really seeming to do anything in standard (don't know about modern but I assume it's not really being played there either)

I don't know, I just find it cool when a card sees play in those formats but isn't really broken

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm really glad Dark Petition is seeing play in legacy and vintage while not really seeming to do anything in standard (don't know about modern but I assume it's not really being played there either)

I don't know, I just find it cool when a card sees play in those formats but isn't really broken

I mentioned using petition in legacy storm when it first came out and I got shot down, so I'm glad too. It's a 2 mana tutor that doesn't require an empty hand when you're trying to go off.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is no-banlist Affinity better than no-banlist Jeskai Ascendancy? Doing No Holds Barred Modern in a few weeks and forgot about the couple of weeks I had to deal with that deck.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is no-banlist Affinity better than no-banlist Jeskai Ascendancy? Doing No Holds Barred Modern in a few weeks and forgot about the couple of weeks I had to deal with that deck.

Play Hypergenesis.

Edit- lol

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 4, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
If there's no banlist at all just play Hypergenesis. Otherwise I think Jeskai Ascendancy probably gets more out of having Ponder and Preordain, although Affinity certainly turns into a horrifying monster when it's got a full suite of artifact lands plus skullclamp.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Play hypergenesis instead

E: Hahaha

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I mentioned using petition in legacy storm when it first came out and I got shot down, so I'm glad too. It's a 2 mana tutor that doesn't require an empty hand when you're trying to go off.

It's also way worse against soft counters, which isn't usually a weakness of storm. That said there isn't very much in the way of soft counters in vintage so it's especially obnoxious there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the big factor is you only get to play with 1 LED in vintage, which makes Infernal Tutor pretty unusable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OK, that is sweet.

2016 GP Promo

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The yarn ball wig fashion style is IN.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

mcmagic posted:

OK, that is sweet.

2016 GP Promo

It says Judge, not GP.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Is that supposed to be a germ token following her?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It says Judge, not GP.

IDK why it does but it's the GP Promo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/2015-world-magic-cup-faq-and-more-2015-12-04

quote:

Trick Jarrett ‏@TrickMTG 54s55 seconds ago
The new GP promo is indeed Stoneforge Mystic, the judge text at the bottom is a rendering mistake. Won't be there in real version.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Fair enough!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
That is pretty sweet, but I was promoted to look at the 2016 GP schedule and now I'm sad. Why is the one in Atlanta always Limited?? :(

Guess I'm traveling to Charlotte and Indy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Fair enough!

Besides, we just got Judge promos this year. I don't think they cycle through them that fast.

• Locked thread