Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Does anyone else have the problem where the game just cuts to a black screen and you have to force close it in the task manager? I checked and people were saying it's overheating or overclocking or something and I have neither of those problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DarthBlingBling posted:

They should just let you buy it stripped beyond what's needed to let you take off and land.

I mean, you can resell components at cost so you basically can plus one step.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
People mentioned back early on in the 1.5 beta that the Corvette was going to take somewhere in the ballpark of 600m to A-fit for combat. Is that still holding true, and counting the 15% discount on both ship & modules? Interested in setting a Robigo goal for myself and I just passed 400m and Tycoon.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean, you can resell components at cost so you basically can plus one step.

I know. Skip the step. I don't think anyone flies out with two lovely c1 pulse lasers unless you're in the starter sidey

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

2 SPOOKY posted:

People mentioned back early on in the 1.5 beta that the Corvette was going to take somewhere in the ballpark of 600m to A-fit for combat. Is that still holding true, and counting the 15% discount on both ship & modules? Interested in setting a Robigo goal for myself and I just passed 400m and Tycoon.

The corvette is on corilois (ship fitting website) so you can experiment but yeah 600m sounds about right. The A grade power plant on it alone costs 150M Cr :chanpop:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

DarthBlingBling posted:

I know. Skip the step. I don't think anyone flies out with two lovely c1 pulse lasers unless you're in the starter sidey

In my first couple hours in the game I killed two anacondas with the starter sidey flashlights.

They forgot to equip weapons. It took literally hours.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone else have the problem where the game just cuts to a black screen and you have to force close it in the task manager? I checked and people were saying it's overheating or overclocking or something and I have neither of those problems.

This has been happening to me frequently in the past two weeks while before that I've never had a problem. My Internet connection has been fucky for the same amount of time so you may want to look there.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
One thing to note for those that don't have the beta yet: Frontier made it so that now if your game is not in focus (because you alt-tabbed out) and are making/about to jump to a different system, your throttle will be automatically set to 0% when you arrive.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
What's this Robigo run, anyway? I've got a Type-6 gathering dust with 84 cargo slots just waiting to be stuffed.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Robigo is a populated system about 200 LY outside the populated bubble. Mission payouts scale with distance travelled, and since the most of the eligible targets are back in the bubble the missions generated there are worth lots of cashmoney. Basically you head out, stack as many missions as you can stand, then head back and get rich.

They're called Robigo runs because that's the most popular place to do them, but there are quite a number of systems exactly like it (some are even in chains or clusters). To find them, set your galaxy map to filter out all unpopulated systems and just look around the edge of populated space. They stand out like sore thumbs.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

radintorov posted:

One thing to note for those that don't have the beta yet: Frontier made it so that now if your game is not in focus (because you alt-tabbed out) and are making/about to jump to a different system, your throttle will be automatically set to 0% when you arrive.
It's not just when jumping, alt-tabbing sets throttle to zero until you tab back in the SRV too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Want to assault the ground
http://gfycat.com/AridTanCentipede

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It's so beautiful :swoon:

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
For the Imperial Eagle, should you just use the 315k "worth flying" fit for it? Naturally with the medium slot occupied by a bigger laser or cannon or something.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

jaffyjaffy posted:

For the Imperial Eagle, should you just use the 315k "worth flying" fit for it? Naturally with the medium slot occupied by a bigger laser or cannon or something.

That's what I did to start out. My current Iggle has a beam laser in the medium slot and a couple cannons in the smalls.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

tooterfish posted:

Robigo is a populated system about 200 LY outside the populated bubble. Mission payouts scale with distance travelled, and since the most of the eligible targets are back in the bubble the missions generated there are worth lots of cashmoney. Basically you head out, stack as many missions as you can stand, then head back and get rich.

They're called Robigo runs because that's the most popular place to do them, but there are quite a number of systems exactly like it (some are even in chains or clusters). To find them, set your galaxy map to filter out all unpopulated systems and just look around the edge of populated space. They stand out like sore thumbs.

Robigo sends you to Federation systems to deliver your ill-gotten goods, which will help get federation rank missions as a nice side effect.

The "Fehu" system will do something similar for the Empire, and is more or less the same deal.

So choose accordingly depending on which fancy faction-locked ships you are aiming towards, and both now have good options.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Dessert Rose posted:

That's what I did to start out. My current Iggle has a beam laser in the medium slot and a couple cannons in the smalls.

I'll go pick one up then.
That said I might just go for the Viper since I've made a bit over a million just letting the police kill poo poo in high RES.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

what's your FOV? :O

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The GD 140 system, and one of the moon in particular (GD 140 1 A 1), was pointed out in IRC, so I took a trip there.
As it can be seen, the moon itself is a pretty small rocky planet with clearly visible canyons

Said canyons are pretty deep

So of course I had to jump one. And just after night had arrived. :v:

Pilchenstein posted:

It's not just when jumping, alt-tabbing sets throttle to zero until you tab back in the SRV too.
I did not notice that! That's another handy change.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Nation posted:

how do we make this happen?!

Thread: Lagrange points and Points of Interest: better travel and more focused gameplay

I was expecting it'd have an idiot reply by now about realism or space trucker immersion or something but instead I fear it's going to get washed away in the tide of Horizons suggestions. There a couple other older suggestions involving L-points, but both of them had different approaches- one wanted to use Lagrange points for some kind of gravity speed manipulation stuff in supercruise and the other wanted to restrict high-wake jumps to other systems to the L-points. I'm pretty happy with the way mine ties into and theoretically improves existing game mechanics but who knows if the developers will read it, let alone agree.

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 4, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Controversial opinion:

I like the Keelback.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Controversial opinion:

I like the Keelback.
You'll love the Cobra Mk.4 then. :cheeky:

Also, if you haven't been to Mitterand's Hollow and have the horizons beta, go there now: http://gfycat.com/ElasticRightCockatiel

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Controversial opinion:

I like the Keelback.

What's not to like?

It's a great early game trade ship that can defend itself, with decent jump range, great for rare runs/long range trade missions, and super-cheap.

And you get the Lakon cockpit where you can see downwards, for fast & fun docking.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

radintorov posted:

You'll love the Cobra Mk.4 then. :cheeky:

Also, if you haven't been to Mitterand's Hollow and have the horizons beta, go there now: http://gfycat.com/ElasticRightCockatiel

Does the MkIV have Homeworld aesthetics and rotating engine pods? :krad:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Question. Is the Beta self contained and will any progress made be wiped when it's over?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

Question. Is the Beta self contained and will any progress made be wiped when it's over?

Yes. Yes.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bushiz posted:

Yes. Yes.

Awesome, thanks.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Does the MkIV have Homeworld aesthetics and rotating engine pods? :krad:

The MK IV is a slow type 6 that's shaped like a cobra. The hardpoint placement is fantastic and the 8 internal slots, 4 of which are class 4; give it a lot of fitting room.

The problem is the rest of the ship is just not good enough to take advantage of all that space.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
For the Imperial Eagle is it still wise to gimball everything? I know when I was faffing about in the normal Eagle it felt kinda odd being stupid maneuverable but using gimballed weapons. I might try out normal cannons or some kind of cannon instead of lasers just to get a feeling for them as well, but I assume the lasers would be best in the medium slot.

Alternatively I can try out the railgun. :black101:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Holy crap this guy talks a lot--

nevermind, it's twins! :downs:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

what's your FOV? :O

At 80 via ini tweaks, I'm on ultrawide so I find with my face in the center of it higher FOV is required.

edit
its beta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwv0AvA5x0

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 4, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

And from another perspective:
http://www.twitch.tv/helterskeltr/c/7053241

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's so beautiful :swoon:

I was always kinda interested in FDL but was put off by tiny fuel tank and why did it make it like it was designed in the 60s?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Back from the latest beta.

Frontier ironed out a lot of the sound problems. Graphics issues still persist, but thats a given. I've dropped my settings from ultra to medium and can hit a locked 60FPS constant.

My impressions:
- Planetary landings is a huge huge expansion. Lots of things to do if you know how to go about it.
- Simply being able to fly "into" a planet is just mind boggling.
- The past 3 days I've spent on 2 systems, to and fro. Running missions between stations, and spaceports.
- Flying into an ice planet with rings and then flying into its canyons just cause feels so empowering.
- That star trek feeling of being the only living player character on the planet
- Can't wait to discover / play more.

Crashes have been mostly resolved the past patch. Everything is quite stable now.

Oh for those thinking "bigger is better". I've testing landings with Corvette vs Viper Mk4. Viper is superior when it comes to doing ground missions (easier to find a landing spot, and smaller target for NPCs to hit, more nimble, less mass / inertia to fly in gravity). I'll write another post on this later after more tests. But the Corvette is like flying a bulky mothership of sorts in gravity, the strain the thrusters have vs gravity can be heard and felt. Its quite amazing.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 4, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sekenr posted:

I was always kinda interested in FDL but was put off by tiny fuel tank and why did it make it like it was designed in the 60s?
Lore wise the FDL is a luxury murder yacht. It's the kind of thing well heeled bounty hunters or wealthy executives would use to get around in. It's got big guns and big engines, but it's also got Windsor leather seats and a minibar.

If James Bond existed in the Elite universe, it's the kind of thing he'd do assassinations in... while wearing a tux and drinking a martini. You can't get more 60s than that, so the design aesthetic might be appropriate actually.

Sard posted:

Thread: Lagrange points and Points of Interest: better travel and more focused gameplay

I was expecting it'd have an idiot reply by now about realism or space trucker immersion or something but instead I fear it's going to get washed away in the tide of Horizons suggestions. There a couple other older suggestions involving L-points, but both of them had different approaches- one wanted to use Lagrange points for some kind of gravity speed manipulation stuff in supercruise and the other wanted to restrict high-wake jumps to other systems to the L-points. I'm pretty happy with the way mine ties into and theoretically improves existing game mechanics but who knows if the developers will read it, let alone agree.
Good job. Seems to be getting a positive response from non goons too so far.

It doesn't really matter if they adopt this particular suggestion in my opinion (not that I don't think it's a good idea), but as long as it gets them thinking about the spirit of what it represents i.e. mechanisms for encouraging more organic interactions and making the game world feel more lived in, I'll be a happy bunny.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Controversial opinion:

I like the Keelback.

You're not the only one and I've only been able to look at pictures of it.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So bought into this off the black friday sale and it sure is pretty. I have a few questions though:

1) How the hell do you get bounties above ~200K or so? Even with a KWS I barely breach that when splashing high-level anacondas in high-risk RESes.

2) How do you join a faction/why would you ever want to, apart from getting the couple dinky totally-not-a-type7 ships?

3) This is more of a nitpick but why in the absolute loving hell is my ~400T "Space superiority fighter" only carrying 30 rounds of ammunition for a size 1 gun, and a "top tier" sensor array that can't see poo poo until I almost run into it. I can spot and visually ID a (fer-de-lance/python and up) target from what feels like twice the range that the ship's sensors can even bother to get a distorted blip of "something over there" even if it's an anaconda that's putting on a version of the 4th of july.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 4, 2015

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

How's the Fed Assault Ship? I like the idea of having two medium points in addition to the two large like a Vulture, but is it just a big fat target?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

How's the Fed Assault Ship?
Glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

KakerMix posted:

At 80 via ini tweaks, I'm on ultrawide so I find with my face in the center of it higher FOV is required.

edit
its beta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwv0AvA5x0

What was happening here? Was the corvette trying to shoot the srv when it was on it?

• Locked thread