Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
If no one cared what people liked this thread wouldn't exist. We'd all just listen to music quietly and not post about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm more surprised that there are still people capable of getting angry about coldplay in 2015

they shouldn't be playin that halftime show tho

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Is this the thread where we memorialize our fallen forefather

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-dead-at-48-20151204

RIP

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I liked STP enough as a kid but was never way into them like I was a few other 90s alt bands... still lovely though. STP was my first concert actually when I was 13, but I was there for Green Day.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I was at a bar running karaoke next to a music venue I was going to see Mac Demarco at later in the night. This dude absolutely nailed Plush, and ended up being a member of one of the opening bands. Plush is now one of my go to karoake songs so that's my STP story.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

My band released a new album today called "Mystical Shitheads." Maybe some people here might like it, regardless I'd be interested in hearing feedback.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Change in pace from a lot of stuff posted here, but this song that I found out about this week is just amazing to me right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jErJimwom94

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Does anyone have any indie christmas song playlists? I heard Dent May's "I'll Be Stoned For Christmas" and I'd love more stuff in this same vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_4_R_pBox0

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Hi guys. As 2015 draws to a close, me and some friends have been knocking up our favourite/best tracks of the year on spotify to share with one another. This thread always mentions acts that I end up getting in to, so would anyone else be interested in knocking up a ten song Spotify playlist and sharing?

Mine should be done tomorrow, sharing with the girlfriend and one or two other friends who are sending me theirs. Anyone here want to swap playlists with me? Always on the hunt for new stuff.

Cheers.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ten-song playlists seems like a pretty cool way to do end-of-year favorites. a lot less imposing than listing off a ton of albums to listen to, plus will get people to mostly share stuff they think other people haven't heard and should

ricecult posted:

My band released a new album today called "Mystical Shitheads." Maybe some people here might like it, regardless I'd be interested in hearing feedback.

this is real good btw, thanks for sharing

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Here y'all go:

:v: Real Name Grover's 10 for 2015 :v:

I also have a 32-song 2015 playlist that's public if you feel so inclined. I kept more widely-known stuff like the Decemberists, FJM, Neon Indian, etc. off of the 10-song one since the thread has thoroughly covered a lot of it.

E: Someone please let me know if that link doesn't work — been having trouble with Spotify's browser-based stuff.

E2: Or this :respek: \/\/\/

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 10, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

protip if you, like me, hate Spotify's web player: you can paste a playlist URL into the search in the desktop player and it'll pop up there

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Real Name Grover posted:

Here y'all go:

:v: Real Name Grover's 10 for 2015 :v:

I also have a 32-song 2015 playlist that's public if you feel so inclined. I kept more widely-known stuff like the Decemberists, FJM, Neon Indian, etc. off of the 10-song one since the thread has thoroughly covered a lot of it.

E: Someone please let me know if that link doesn't work — been having trouble with Spotify's browser-based stuff.

E2: Or this :respek: \/\/\/

Will subscribe and listen on train tomorrow :)

Here's mine (let me know if link doesn't work) -
https://open.spotify.com/user/1152510500/playlist/60jQhiRFwol8dS5ybvpyaK

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Amazing how much this thread and the Pop one dictate my musical preference. I sure do like lady singers a whole lot:

https://open.spotify.com/user/unstoppabledog/playlist/3nZhOdaKGCc5hpxC6LneMc

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Slandible posted:

Amazing how much this thread and the Pop one dictate my musical preference. I sure do like lady singers a whole lot:

you should really listen to Empress Of if you haven't yet. also hell yeah Beverly owns

here's me: https://open.spotify.com/user/anvolcano/playlist/3ZoMHbxoHUZiUOTTfylMO0

I'm kind of disappointed in myself this year, tbh. For the past few years, I've kept a Spotify starred playlist and cleared it at the end of the year, with the goal of adding one song a day (or at least ending up with >=365 total). Last couple years, I got up to around ~300, which was pretty good. This year, my starred playlist has only 206 songs, and probably only ~35% of that actually came out this year. I feel like there's a bunch of great music that came out this year that I completely missed, so I am glad I don't know like 70% of the songs on the playlists y'all have shared so far!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

you should really listen to Empress Of if you haven't yet. also hell yeah Beverly owns

here's me: https://open.spotify.com/user/anvolcano/playlist/3ZoMHbxoHUZiUOTTfylMO0

I'm kind of disappointed in myself this year, tbh. For the past few years, I've kept a Spotify starred playlist and cleared it at the end of the year, with the goal of adding one song a day (or at least ending up with >=365 total). Last couple years, I got up to around ~300, which was pretty good. This year, my starred playlist has only 206 songs, and probably only ~35% of that actually came out this year. I feel like there's a bunch of great music that came out this year that I completely missed, so I am glad I don't know like 70% of the songs on the playlists y'all have shared so far!

Empress Of was an opener for something I saw last year and kind of brushed her off, but the album she put out this year was really good. It's hard narrowing stuff down at the end of the year. I usually send some giant essay out to my friends that I'm sure most of them don't even read.

Beverly too is great. Went to see them this summer really for just something to do on a Friday night and drat. Was like a crowd of ten people, but they are really a good band.

Edit: Also britishbornandbread already went through yours. Liking the Chormatics and Spector songs.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 11, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Slandible posted:

Empress Of was an opener for something I saw last year and kind of brushed her off, but the album she put out this year was really good. It's hard narrowing stuff down at the end of the year. I usually send some giant essay out to my friends that I'm sure most of them don't even read.

I saw Empress Of headline a few weeks after the album came out and it was a great set - IIRC it was basically just the album in a different order. She had a live band playing drums and bass that added a lot. I kind of wish Grimes would do something similar, her set felt a little anemic by comparison.

e: really like this Ought song in britishbornandbread's playlist because I am a sucker for any singer doing a David Byrne impression and this is just straight-up uncanny

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 11, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Catching up on some other stuff tonight, apparently Lucius dropped a new single last week as well as a video. Pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv6jER7wrPM

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't knocked out by the new Lucius single, but I didn't hate it. Given how much I like their last album I'll probably listen to it a dozen more times before I really make up my mind about it.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Slandible posted:

I really, really enjoyed this. In fact, most of the songs on it. I knew most of the aritsts on here already (didn't know Phantogram had new stuff out!) but was not familiar with any of the songs. The first three songs, Tove Styrke, CHVRCHES and Grimes, were all fantastic.

Beverly is completely new to me, I enoyed the grungey shoegaze sound and female vocals.

Plenty on here going in my starred playlist. Thanks for sharing.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I didn't even know about that Phantogram song for a few months until NPR mentioned it. It was for a video game soundtrack, but they never mentioned doing that song at all. Which is crazy because I think it's one of their best.

Tove Styrke has been my jam all year long, I can't get enough of it. Her album Kiddo is one of my all time favorites now.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I do 100 songs every year and 96 of this year's were on spotify, so here's 96 songs in descending order

https://open.spotify.com/user/phrontiersman/playlist/1P9tO7wbWg2XosQuIMy5b8

The ones missing are tracks from Everything Everything and Joan Shelley, that I can remember off the top

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Slandible posted:

This is a real good list.

This is my 10 in a chronological order, I trimmed away some of the bigger names and artists this thread is already plenty familiar with. Ended up pretty poppy this year.

https://open.spotify.com/user/vastakaiun/playlist/5yWTP9I31Do0pL2YQU0XM6

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I'm glad people are jumping on this idea and sharing. I will be replying to everyone who posts a playlist with my thoughts but this weekend I'm away in London. Needless to say everything I have heard so far has been great.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Same here, I went through I think everyone that posted one last night. A lot of new stuff I like and some similar artists popping up. Top 10 was a great idea because it's quite simple, but still gets out what you wanted. Keep them coming!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

britishbornandbread posted:

I really, really enjoyed this. In fact, most of the songs on it. I knew most of the aritsts on here already (didn't know Phantogram had new stuff out!) but was not familiar with any of the songs. The first three songs, Tove Styrke, CHVRCHES and Grimes, were all fantastic.

Beverly is completely new to me, I enoyed the grungey shoegaze sound and female vocals.

Plenty on here going in my starred playlist. Thanks for sharing.

That phantogram is unique to Grand theft auto. GTA soundtracks have a bunch of new "one off" track from a lot of artists. Health, FlyLo, The Rapture etc....

I'd highly recommend getting the GTA V and IV soundtracks, you'll be shocked at how much poo poo you're missing out. Also give Big Grams a look if you wanna scratch that phantogram itch in the lull between records.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The extended GTA V soundtrack that was part of the next gen re-release is actually really underrated.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Thanks for posting all these. I try and keep up with music but there's always a ton of stuff I miss, and this (plus year-end album lists, it's like musical Christmas) help me find that stuff.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Here's another

https://open.spotify.com/user/enjoybellwoods/playlist/46yDqBQWsZWDMkAMsZGKuA

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Going through more of these lists tonight, really liking that Go! track, Vastakaiun.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Slandible posted:

Going through more of these lists tonight, really liking that Go! track, Vastakaiun.

Yeah, Public Service Broadcasting is pretty great. Their thing is they use samples from old public broadcasting and archive footage as their vocals. Their first album was all old british educational films (My favourite track from that album), and "The Race For Space" is about, well, the space race. It's a hell of an album.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Depreston by Courtney Barnett was probably my #1 this year but that got posted already. I feel like that guy that is obsessed with "Desperado" in Seinfeld whenever it comes on.

Here are the 10 best songs of 2015 10 songs from 2015 I liked a lot that hopefully are new to at least some of you.

https://open.spotify.com/user/124445470/playlist/7DC7v5Izk9HpdTsuLKfb7j

abraham linksys posted:

That Julio Bashmore song was great. I remember hearing Simple Love somewhere before but didn't realize he had a whole album out.

resident fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 14, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

resident posted:

That Julio Bashmore song was great. I remember hearing Simple Love somewhere before but didn't realize he had a whole album out.

it's a good (if slightly short) record! I love how varied all of the vocal guests are. And yeah, of the 800 songs that came out this year called "Holding On" or some variant, I'd argue his is by far the best :v:

e: also hell yeah @ Yonatan Gat on your playlist. He's so loving good live.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

While we are on the best of 2015 theme...what was everyone's favorite live show(s) of the year? Mine was Chance the Rapper at Bumbershoot and there wasn't a close second. It's really hard to believe he is only 22. He's already such an amazing showman and picked a great backing band to boot. My bar for good hip hop shows was high after seeing the roots a few years ago and he cleared it easily.

Yumi Zouma was probably second but I was hammered so they might not be as good as I remember.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

resident posted:

While we are on the best of 2015 theme...what was everyone's favorite live show(s) of the year? Mine was Chance the Rapper at Bumbershoot and there wasn't a close second. It's really hard to believe he is only 22. He's already such an amazing showman and picked a great backing band to boot. My bar for good hip hop shows was high after seeing the roots a few years ago and he cleared it easily.

Yumi Zouma was probably second but I was hammered so they might not be as good as I remember.
Death Grips, Disclosure, Run The Jewels, The Glitch Mob, Modest Mouse, Grimes...gently caress, I don't even know. I saw so many.

e: Oh, also Godspeed You Black Emperor. And Battles. I saw some good-rear end live shows this year, hot drat.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 15, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

resident posted:

Sleater-Kinney :haw:

But Waxahatchee was loving great live, holy poo poo. Her sister is pretty nice, too, and the opener I saw them with (Try the Pie) was a lot of fun.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I saw a loving ton of shows this year but here's my top 5:

PC Music (QT, Danny L Harle, AG Cook, Hannah Diamond, GFOTY, SOPHIE, probably someone I'm forgetting) @ BRIC House

Number one with a loving bullet. This was an insane pop-art experience that began with selfies with manufactured pop stars and ended with an incredible SOPHIE DJ set, with everything from a small live orchestra to wacky waving inflatable arm tube men in between.

Vince Staples @ The Shop

I managed to catch Vince 3 times this year - including once opening for RTJ and once at Music Hall of Williamsburg last week - but between those, I saw him at a loving BBQ joint in Bushwick at a Red Bull-presented $3 thing. It was the dead of summer and the single hottest room I've ever stood in, and he brought more energy to the stage than I've ever seen in my life. I nearly died when he dropped Senorita, and lost a shoe during Blue Suede.

Savages @ Baby's All Right

This show had been rescheduled due to a crazy blizzard, meaning it was at 1:15 in the morning on a Thursday. I had just seen Viet Cong earlier, too, and I was loving exhausted, but managed to hold down a spot dead front and center.

Jenny Beth spent the entire show screaming over my head while I stared straight up in a daze for 40 minutes. It was awesome. I cannot wait for their new album.

FFS @ Terminal 5

I love Franz Ferdinand, and had never seen them live. I love Sparks, and had never seen them live. I got to see a setlist that included - in sequence - The Number One Song In Heaven, Michael, and This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us. Those were my favorite 12 minutes of 2015.

Yonatan Gat @ Rough Trade NYC

Yonatan Gat and his band play in the center of the floor. It's awesome and a sight to behold. He also has the hands-down greatest drummer I've ever seen live - that dude plays rhythms that sound physically impossible

Honorable mentions: Kendrick Lamar @ Terminal 5, Carly Rae Jepsen @ Irving Plaza (SHE PLAYED LIKE EVERY SINGLE SONG ON EMOTION Y'ALL), We Are Scientists @ Rough Trade, Neon Indian @ Baby's, Hot Chip @ Webster Hall, Ratatat @ Webster Hall, Todd Terje @ T5, I saw Sloan do like a 2-hour set at Rough Trade, Mastodon & Clutch in Central Park, goddamn this was a crazy good year

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 15, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

resident posted:

All of these were in Chicago:

Sleater-Kinney at Pitchfork
Blind Guardian at Concord Music Hall
Doomtree and Open Mike Eagle at the Abbey
The World is a Beautiful Place and Foxing at Subterranean
Electric Wizard at Metro
The Fall of Troy and And So I Watch You From Afar at Metro
Neurosis at Thalia Hall
Between the Buried and Me, Enslaved and Intronaut at the House of Blues
Living Colour, Against Me!, Iggy Pop and Modern Life is War at Riot Fest

I started freelancing for a local music site at the end of last year so I went to a ton of shows this year and many of them I got into for free. Plus moving to Chicago in general made the amount of shows overwhelming.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
You guys like bullshit. Best albums this year, grimes, sufjan, someone still loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

rear end catchum what were your favorite 10 songs of the year

spotify playlist, youtube playlist, or :justpost:, i want to know, as i hear you have the best taste in music one can find on these here forums