Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Peeve of the day: Craigslist ads for apartments that show up in the "cats okay" search but in the text say something like "NO PETS" or "I have a cat already, no additional pets." The worst was "declawed cats okay." WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU.

I've been house hunting and I've also run into this.

Property is pet friendly*!!
*tenant may have one gerbil at landlord's discretion**
**landlord only accepts gerbils with a minimum three professional regencies and at least a masters degree

Why even bother allowing pets at that point? I'm a landlord myself so I totally get having a no pets policy but if you're going to allow pets at least be reasonable about it. I found an apartment complex that had a list of banned dog breeds that took up a whole large paragraph and it was the most random-rear end list of the most common dog breeds. Stop kidding yourself and just say "cats only" jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ozz81 posted:

This, but for pretty much any "free" app. I had a free flashlight app on my work iPhone, helped when I needed to crawl under desks or work in dark server rooms. Inevitably the drat light would turn off after a couple minutes when a stupid loving ad for something unrelated came on, and I'd have to close and reopen the flashlight app. Got so sick of it that I started using a pocket size LED flashlight since we had a whole basket of them from a vendor, and uninstalled that stupid rear end app entirely.

Unless you have a super ancient iPhone or iOS 6 for some reason, they all use the flash as the flashlight, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen and it brings up the Control Center and in the bottom left is the flashlight, which stays on until you turn it off.

pussy riot police posted:

I get that when I yell human at it enough. Unless it's like that one that hangs up if it doesn't understand you.

Yeah I just yell a bunch of swear words and it connects me pretty quickly. Except when I called chase the other day and it just gave me 10,000 ads without any way to stop them.

E: what happens when someone has an accent? The system would be impossible to use.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Dec 1, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've been house hunting and I've also run into this.

Property is pet friendly*!!
*tenant may have one gerbil at landlord's discretion**
**landlord only accepts gerbils with a minimum three professional regencies and at least a masters degree

Why even bother allowing pets at that point? I'm a landlord myself so I totally get having a no pets policy but if you're going to allow pets at least be reasonable about it. I found an apartment complex that had a list of banned dog breeds that took up a whole large paragraph and it was the most random-rear end list of the most common dog breeds. Stop kidding yourself and just say "cats only" jfc.

If you say "NO PETS" or "CATS ONLY" or whatever, you might miss out on prime renters like, say, a single quiet grad student who would always pay his or her rent promptly and never cause any trouble or wreck up the place, but has a pet turtle. "No pets," he or she'd say, then move down the list.

So, you say "small pets negotiable" or somesuch. This, of course, opens you up to calls like "HI I HAVE THREE PITS THEY ARE ONLY 50LBS EACH, SO THEY ARE SMALL PETS BUT THEY ARE NICE DOGS THEY NEVER BIT NOBODY CAN I SEE THE UNIT TOMORROW," but that's part of the business. :smith:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Peeve of the day: Craigslist ads for apartments that show up in the "cats okay" search but in the text say something like "NO PETS" or "I have a cat already, no additional pets." The worst was "declawed cats okay." WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Cats are destructive as gently caress and unless it's your furniture getting mauled you don't really have the right to try to force someone to deal with it when it's your cat that's the problem.

My cat came declawed on the from from the shelter and I wouldn't have taken him had he not. He paws at everything; the walls, the bed, my leg, door jams, everything. It wasn't a problem when he was the sole cat but I moved in with a couple who decided to get two kittens. Of course the kittens weren't declawed or even had nail covers on, and my cat ended up teaching them within a month to scratch everything in their reach into ribbons. Their nice leather couch had stuffing falling out of the sides and seats by the time I moved out. The walls had huge gouges. The couple were both overworked so they didn't notice until it had gotten horrifyingly bad and I was on my way out. Had I had known at the time too I would have never moved in for those few months.

Cats are little poo poo machines who will destroy everything you love if you let them. I fully support landlords not letting tenants pass that poo poo off as "normal wear and tear."

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Cats are destructive as gently caress and unless it's your furniture getting mauled you don't really have the right to try to force someone to deal with it when it's your cat that's the problem.

My cat came declawed on the from from the shelter and I wouldn't have taken him had he not. He paws at everything; the walls, the bed, my leg, door jams, everything. It wasn't a problem when he was the sole cat but I moved in with a couple who decided to get two kittens. Of course the kittens weren't declawed or even had nail covers on, and my cat ended up teaching them within a month to scratch everything in their reach into ribbons. Their nice leather couch had stuffing falling out of the sides and seats by the time I moved out. The walls had huge gouges. The couple were both overworked so they didn't notice until it had gotten horrifyingly bad and I was on my way out. Had I had known at the time too I would have never moved in for those few months.

Cats are little poo poo machines who will destroy everything you love if you let them. I fully support landlords not letting tenants pass that poo poo off as "normal wear and tear."

I am aware of this; I am not a stranger to pet companionship. My peeve is not with apartments that are not pet-friendly. My peeve is with apartments that are not pet-friendly, but hit the "cats okay" button on CL. If pets are not okay, don't say they are okay. Okay?

And perhaps your friend needs to take those kittens to the vet--I have never heard of a cat that claws that much or that destructively. Mine has normal claws that I trim whenever needed, and she uses her scratcher or nothing at all. Personally I'd rather have pets than nice furniture.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I am aware of this; I am not a stranger to pet companionship. My peeve is not with apartments that are not pet-friendly. My peeve is with apartments that are not pet-friendly, but hit the "cats okay" button on CL. If pets are not okay, don't say they are okay. Okay?

And perhaps your friend needs to take those kittens to the vet--I have never heard of a cat that claws that much or that destructively. Mine has normal claws that I trim whenever needed, and she uses her scratcher or nothing at all. Personally I'd rather have pets than nice furniture.

Pet peeve (no pun intended); When animal owners are so ignorant of what their breed of animal can do they actually believe that every other pet out there is exactly like theirs. Especially when you could simply type it into google and see millions of results on the subject. Nope, every other cat should be exactly like my cat, it's the billions of other cats who are broken and lovely!

And the dog owners who start screaming that their dog is so friendly and just wants to play as they choke themselves trying to charge something to murder it. No, the dog doesn't want to play with the bunny, they want to pick it up and shake it until it's dead. Lady, the dog is frothing at the mouth. That ain't normal.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The advertising from the local animal shelters. It's always a sad-eyed weiner dog or a fluffy little bichon with a tired expression, and you just want to run down there and get that sad wheelchair dog and rescue it. Good advertising. Of course the shelter is literally a row of 150 pitbulls and nothing else, because even hardcore pitbull weirdos don't actually want pitbulls.

They should just be honest. "You're at a shelter in southern California. Come get a cat, and while you're here check out our famous wall of unwanted murder dogs."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thin Privilege posted:

E: what happens when someone has an accent? The system would be impossible to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFRoYhTJQQ

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

That was really funny, but his "eleven" sounded just like an American "eleven", 9.5/10.

Pet peeve: when grocery store people bag your groceries and put the avocados on the bottom, then when you open them half is brown and bruised because it was smashed. Soft mushy things go on top!!!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This is such a hyper specific pet peeve, but 90% of the people I know intimately know not to compare heroin to banal poo poo like chocolate or whatever in front of me. I've lost a really close friend to heroin and a few close friends are still struggling with it, so I pull my hair out when people compare anything that isn't heroin to heroin, especially sugar. "DID U KNOW SUGAR IS AS ADDICTIVE AS HEROIN :downs:" It's not. I quit drinking pop by replacing it with tea and water and felt vaguely nostalgic at best, and also shut the gently caress up.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Ugh, listening to people talk about nutrition in that weird witch-doctor, voodoo way is so goddamned frustrating. I have two housemates, both girls in their early 20s, and the other day they were discussing food and talking about how sugar is basically granulated poison and gluten is the devil and rah rah rah. They both eat like poo poo but you better believe they spend a ton of money on organic veggies and other hippy nonsense that then rots in the fridge while they eat takeaway and junk food most days.

Life is too short to obsess about food, especially if you're not actually educated about things beyond reading Facebook macros and ~inspirational~ posts on Instagram. Eat balanced meals, don't eat things if they make you feel sick, exercise more. That's it. That's the goddamned secret code to ensuring the horrible pile of meat that is your body is running at an optimal level.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cyberia posted:

you better believe they spend a ton of money on organic veggies and other hippy nonsense that then rots in the fridge while they eat takeaway and junk food most days.

I know a guy who does this poo poo all the time. Every other day he's buying huge bags of fruit and vegitables, salads and meat and he never eats most of it and then it goes rotten. His fridge is loving full. If I'm ever at his place and I need to put something back in the fridge it's a struggle because there's no loving space in his fridge or freezer but he never loving eats 90% of the poo poo and most of it is over a year old. Buying poo poo you'll never eat doesn't mean you're "eating healthy"!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

It's pretty obvious that if you eat nothing but McDonald's and Hungry Man dinners that you're probably going to die. But people obsess about it to a degree that is psychotic and intellectually wasteful. Case in point: My mom smokes a pack a day, drinks wine like water, eats nothing but brie and roast beef, and every time she gets a new doctor they marvel at her low blood pressure and her smooth baby skin. She's a genetic superman and she lives like Marie Antoinette. If I eat cake I get chest pains, and I am probably going to be dead at 50. God is a deceitful, mean awful jerkwad who randomly assigns luck to people and it doesn't matter. The secret code is accept your inevitable death and maybe eat a carrot so you can feel like you had some modicum of control over the entire ordeal.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Thin Privilege posted:

Unless you have a super ancient iPhone or iOS 6 for some reason, they all use the flash as the flashlight, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen and it brings up the Control Center and in the bottom left is the flashlight, which stays on until you turn it off.

Yeah I just yell a bunch of swear words and it connects me pretty quickly. Except when I called chase the other day and it just gave me 10,000 ads without any way to stop them.

It was real fun dealing with voice recognition when my speech impediment was worse, let me tell ya.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

cyberia posted:

Ugh, listening to people talk about nutrition in that weird witch-doctor, voodoo way is so goddamned frustrating. I have two housemates, both girls in their early 20s, and the other day they were discussing food and talking about how sugar is basically granulated poison and gluten is the devil and rah rah rah. They both eat like poo poo but you better believe they spend a ton of money on organic veggies and other hippy nonsense that then rots in the fridge while they eat takeaway and junk food most days.

Life is too short to obsess about food, especially if you're not actually educated about things beyond reading Facebook macros and ~inspirational~ posts on Instagram. Eat balanced meals, don't eat things if they make you feel sick, exercise more. That's it. That's the goddamned secret code to ensuring the horrible pile of meat that is your body is running at an optimal level.

Oh god, these people. My boyfriend's mom is one of those anti-vaxxers who think that depression can be solved by eating organic and taking a tablespoon of honey every night. Yes, she actually said that to me. She also says that if you eat anything that's not natural it'll fill you with "toxins" and that sugar is basically formaldehyde. And she knows all this because she was a nurse and saw that doctors and hospitals don't work.

I feel really bad for her previous patients.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Nuebot posted:

I know a guy who does this poo poo all the time. Every other day he's buying huge bags of fruit and vegitables, salads and meat and he never eats most of it and then it goes rotten. His fridge is loving full. If I'm ever at his place and I need to put something back in the fridge it's a struggle because there's no loving space in his fridge or freezer but he never loving eats 90% of the poo poo and most of it is over a year old. Buying poo poo you'll never eat doesn't mean you're "eating healthy"!

Kind of related: people who won't eat perfectly good fruit or vegetables because it's on the best before date. Like a brocolli is in the fridge since last week, you look at the brocolli, the brocolli smells fine, there's no weird brown bits, it is green and tasty and good for you and you want to eat the brocolli. You pick up the brocolli, look at the date and throw it in the bin. :supaburn: it's out of daaaaaaate gotta throw it awaaaaay

I have similar peeves about not using meat that's on or one day past the use by so long as it doesn't look or smell weird but I seem to have an iron stomach which is not shared by others so I let that one go.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm bad about that, not always though. It comes and goes, a few months back I had some bacon that had only recently expired but I spent a whole day wishing I was dead so since then I've been extra paranoid about expiration dates. Eventually I'll relax on that a bit then eat another bit of bad food and regret life and the cycle continues.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who attribute certain attitudes or behaviours to "goons". It's always some incredibly generic human trait found everywhere.

Nuebot posted:

I'm bad about that, not always though. It comes and goes, a few months back I had some bacon that had only recently expired but I spent a whole day wishing I was dead so since then I've been extra paranoid about expiration dates. Eventually I'll relax on that a bit then eat another bit of bad food and regret life and the cycle continues.
Expiry dates are a guess. A conservative guess (since the company certainly doesn't want the product to go bad before the date printed on it). For some products (like milk) it can be a really inaccurate guess, because there are too many uncontrolled factors for anything approaching accuracy. For some things it's closer, but it's never completely accurate, and unless something has gone seriously wrong (in which case the date is meaningless anyway) it will usually be perfectly fine to eat stuff after the expiry date. And sometimes it will go bad before the expiry date. It's a guide, not a prophecy.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sociopastry posted:

Oh god, these people. My boyfriend's mom is one of those anti-vaxxers who think that depression can be solved by eating organic and taking a tablespoon of honey every night. Yes, she actually said that to me. She also says that if you eat anything that's not natural it'll fill you with "toxins" and that sugar is basically formaldehyde. And she knows all this because she was a nurse and saw that doctors and hospitals don't work.

"Processed food has ~toxins~."

"What are toxins? Do you even know?"

"...they're what processed food has."

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Processed food has ~toxins~."

"What are toxins? Do you even know?"

"...they're what processed food has."

Pretty much. Granted, I could stand to eat better, but not eating expensive organic food isn't the reason I have depression. She told me it was because I'm malnourished and that if I do a cleanse and eat just organic food I'd "come right out of it". I love my boyfriend, but goddamn is his mother crazy.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Tiggum posted:

People who attribute certain attitudes or behaviours to "goons". It's always some incredibly generic human trait found everywhere.

Conversely, "goons" that think the whole world acts like and has the knowledge of someone who has been constantly on the internet for a decade-plus.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Sociopastry posted:

:cripes: gently caress.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Roommates who don't put poo poo away, but when I put it away they assume we're out of it so they buy more :psyduck: like, you couldn't just ASK me what happened to that sack of powdered sugar you left open on the kitchen counter for days? Or look around for two seconds? It's not like I hid it, it's in plain view, just not out where we're gonna spill it everywhere and end up with it full of bugs. Now we have THREE partial sacks of loving powdered sugar! Who even USES powdered sugar?!? She also loving loves leaving open bags/containers of rice, flour etc. out everywhere, despite the fact that it always ends up with bugs and gets thrown out.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

cash crab posted:

This is such a hyper specific pet peeve, but 90% of the people I know intimately know not to compare heroin to banal poo poo like chocolate or whatever in front of me. I've lost a really close friend to heroin and a few close friends are still struggling with it, so I pull my hair out when people compare anything that isn't heroin to heroin, especially sugar. "DID U KNOW SUGAR IS AS ADDICTIVE AS HEROIN :downs:" It's not. I quit drinking pop by replacing it with tea and water and felt vaguely nostalgic at best, and also shut the gently caress up.

I remember my dad saying that quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin. I mean maybe the cravings last longer but what the heck,

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I remember my dad saying that quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin. I mean maybe the cravings last longer but what the heck,

I'm in the process of quitting smoking and it's rough but I can't imagine something like going clean off heroin. Jesus christ.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
TV shows with an interesting premise that insist on being a procedural. The case/monster/murder/whatever of the week poo poo is never anything beyond middling and usually incredibly predictable and underwhelming.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

People who complain about spoilers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rurea posted:

People who don't care about spoiling plot revelations for other people :colbert:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
It's all cozy, cloudy and rainy today so I made the banal comment at work today that I'd rather go home, sit on my comfy sofa and have a warm cup of coffee or tea while watching the rain out my window.

"Or you could just have a glass of water" responds the office Mormon, who then takes a big swig of the Dew.

I don't know where else to complain about this. I guess my pet peeve is when people hold you to some really oddball moral standards. I'd be more guarded around the guy, but he's usually pretty cool and I forget that caffeine is bad or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

TV shows with an interesting premise that insist on being a procedural. The case/monster/murder/whatever of the week poo poo is never anything beyond middling and usually incredibly predictable and underwhelming.
The opposite of this. I want to sit down and watch a story, not a section cut out of one. If you want to tell one long, uninterrupted story then you should have made a movie or book, not a TV show. It doesn't have to be quite as self-contained as say, Law & Order, where you can watch the episodes out of sequence and miss nothing, but there should be a specific problem for each episode that is the focus and any ongoing story should fit seamlessly around that.

Rurea posted:

Agreed. If it bothers you that much, make sure you watch the thing as soon as possible and stop expecting everyone else to avoid talking about things in case you haven't seen them yet.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DarkCrawler posted:

Maybe it's because after all that time it went nowhere but the conspiracy episodes of the X-files suck compared to the really good MOTW

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
When the 3rd "seriously, get the gently caress up and get in the shower or your gonna be late to work" alarm goes off on ur phone, midway through the morning gently caress. You gotta swipe to turn it off and wind up smearing bodily fluids across the screen. Then it dries and you see it again, when you go to text BAE on the train.

liquorlanche has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Dec 5, 2015

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
When people take really long at the drive thru. I don't mean when there's 5 people on the car, I mean the single person for who, for whatever reason, takes 5 minutes to order. Come on just say "I want a #1 no cheese with a Coke" and go! Don't sit there debating and questioning the drive thru person about whatever while 20 cars pile up behind you!!!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Thin Privilege posted:

When people take really long at the drive thru. I don't mean when there's 5 people on the car, I mean the single person for who, for whatever reason, takes 5 minutes to order. Come on just say "I want a #1 no cheese with a Coke" and go! Don't sit there debating and questioning the drive thru person about whatever while 20 cars pile up behind you!!!

One time I went to Whataburger and got trapped in the drive-thru for, I poo poo you not, 30 goddamn minutes because the people in front of me had ordered enough food for at least 10-15 people. They had to get their food in at least three giant plastic shopping bags.

If you're ordering food for more than 2 people go the gently caress inside.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
My roommates texted me halfway through my shift asking me to go buy a plunger on my way home. Two people who were off work, with literally nothing to do today, decided they'd rather leave the ONLY toilet clogged and full of poo poo for 4 hours, than walk down the loving street to the store.

My roommates are my pet peeve.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've lived with a lot of people like that. Apparently I'm the only person in the world who knows the secret trick to restarting our wireless so any time there's a power issue, or the internet fucks up they would just sit around doing nothing all day until I get around to unplugging and plugging the drat thing in. It takes five seconds.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

I am also annoyed when people aren't as intimately familiar with the mcdonalds menu as I am and have to take time to make a decision.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah Bro posted:

I am also annoyed when people aren't as intimately familiar with the mcdonalds menu as I am and have to take time to make a decision.

Most people who eat at poo poo places like McDonalds order the same poo poo every time. If you're an rear end in a top hat who orders nuggets every time, just order your nuggets. Don't slowly gaze over every menu item before saying you'll have a nugg or ten. You know you want them nuggs!

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Most people who eat at poo poo places like McDonalds order the same poo poo every time. If you're an rear end in a top hat who orders nuggets every time, just order your nuggets. Don't slowly gaze over every menu item before saying you'll have a nugg or ten. You know you want them nuggs!

Lol. I expect everyone to have the same rote routine practiced for the tri-weekly mcdonalds visit like I do. It's the responsible & courteous thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Just get your slop in a bag, take it home, then eat it off the floor like an animal already.