Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

hitachi posted:

Did you guys check out Lammle's book as well? That is the one recommended in the OP, just curious if you had seen both and preferred Odom's. I am gonna purchase one here soon and try to take the test next month.

I'm currently reading Lammle's book for the CCNA. It's a lot less dry than Odom's book, and seems to be covering stuff well. It has labs too, though I don't think they're quite as nice as odom's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lammle is a better writer. Odom goes into more technical depth. If you're new to networking and Cisco equipment, Lammle might be the better way to go.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

cocaine mountain posted:

I work for a managed service small shop doing desktop support and have decided that I want to start down the cert path. First step for me is CCENT. I don't have the money to build my own lab so I'm researching my options on what would work best/cheaply.

While i'm looking into that, I want to go ahead and order a book. Do you guys have a go-to recommendation for a CCENT study book? I plan on supplementing it with videos (Professor Messer, some others I've bookmarked from this thread). It's going to be a slow process as I don't have a huge amount of free time, but I want to take the first step and get the book ordered.

I used Lammle's book for my CCENT and Odom for the CCNA. Overall I prefer Lammle although either one will get you results if you study it. Odom is incredibly dry and a bit over detailed at times in my opinion.

Dont waste the money on a full lab setup. I really liked using Boson Netsim to study for both tests although it costs around $200 if my memory is correct. You can also look into setting up GSN3 for yourself or possibly using Packet Tracer.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

HPL posted:

I'm going through the Boson practice exam for the 70-410 and is it me, or is this exam a load of horse crap? The questions take forever just to read through and I swear the exam must be like at least 25% 70-411 level material. CCENT was a finely-tuned piece of machinery compared to this.

It's a gigantic pile of horse crap. Lots of silly memorization of PowerShell commands and where menu items are located mixed with some usefulness. It gets worse as you move up to 411 and 412.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Are the VMWare certs worth getting? We want to move from VSphere 5.5 to 6, and I've done nothing with VSphere before so I'm going through a bunch of pluralsight courses on it to learn more, and if the certs are valuable I might as well get them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Are the VMWare certs worth getting? We want to move from VSphere 5.5 to 6, and I've done nothing with VSphere before so I'm going through a bunch of pluralsight courses on it to learn more, and if the certs are valuable I might as well get them.

The VCP level ones are if you want to work with VMware seriously, sure. They're reputable and reasonably in-demand.

Skip the VCA ones, though. They are literally "spend 5 minutes reading our marketing brochures so you can regurgitate which product does which things, pay $100, and you're done" and utterly worthless.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

HPL posted:

I'm going through the Boson practice exam for the 70-410 and is it me, or is this exam a load of horse crap? The questions take forever just to read through and I swear the exam must be like at least 25% 70-411 level material. CCENT was a finely-tuned piece of machinery compared to this.

Little late; but definitely one of the worst exams I've taken; its just designed to be tricky and doesnt really reflect knowledge or skill, IMO.

"WHERE ON THE SCREEN WOULD YOU CLICK FIRST IN ORDER TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN VIRTUALIZE A DOMAIN CONTROLLER?" Uhhhhhhh, I mean, I get the intention but really guys? :psyduck:

70-411 is indeed worse.

Take 74-409 instead of 412 for the wrap up of the MCSA (at least thats what I did and am glad I did).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Walked posted:

Take 74-409 instead of 412 for the wrap up of the MCSA (at least thats what I did and am glad I did).
I get the 412 as part of my program, so I'll be taking it regardless but I'll keep the 74-409 in mind if I run out of tables to flip.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Walked posted:

Little late; but definitely one of the worst exams I've taken; its just designed to be tricky and doesnt really reflect knowledge or skill, IMO.

"WHERE ON THE SCREEN WOULD YOU CLICK FIRST IN ORDER TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN VIRTUALIZE A DOMAIN CONTROLLER?" Uhhhhhhh, I mean, I get the intention but really guys? :psyduck:

70-411 is indeed worse.

I might end up going the 462 route since I already have a VCP.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
All this talk about how bullshit MCSA is now is making want to go the ICND 1 and 2 route. I spoke to my manager and he named CCNA and VMWare certs as desired, he doesn't really care about the Microsoft stuff and I don't think anybody that's come up to the network team here since 2005 even has MCSA or equivalent.

Plus I've used the Lammle book (previous edition, and lent out anyway) for a college course on this, plus done some labs for the class, so it's not like I'm totally new.

I think I'll do it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Kashuno posted:

Seconding what Docjowles said. I got my VCP5-DCV back in May after studying for 3 months solid. Now you might be able to cut that time down if you extensively work with vSphere and vCenter, but most people don't. You'll also want to have some sort of lab, either physical or using Workstation on a relatively beefy computer (minimum 16GB of RAM and an SSD if you don't want to tear your hair out in frustration). I personally did both, and I set up a FreeNAS system for some additional storage experience.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I am studying for my CCENT right now, and have a question about subneetting form.

Is it considered 'bad form' to write down basic subnetting info each time, or should I have it memorized (Which will come as I continue to use it?)

Example:

code:
  A   B   C  
 /9  /17 /25  1         128  2/126
 /8  /18 /26  11        192  4/62
 /15 /23      1111111   254  128/0
 /16 /24      11111111  255  254

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You know that 15 minute tutorial you get just before the exam starts? Heck of a time to write out your cheat sheet.

You should have enough time on your test to write out your subnetting problems in full. Sometimes there will be a gotcha that doesn't become apparent until you work it out in binary.

There's no going back to previous questions on the CCENT so get it right the first time and watch the clock like a hawk.

HPL fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 4, 2015

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Gothmog1065 posted:

I am studying for my CCENT right now, and have a question about subneetting form.

Is it considered 'bad form' to write down basic subnetting info each time, or should I have it memorized (Which will come as I continue to use it?)

Example:

code:
  A   B   C  
 /9  /17 /25  1         128  2/126
 /8  /18 /26  11        192  4/62
 /15 /23      1111111   254  128/0
 /16 /24      11111111  255  254

Both.

For the exam there's no reason to not write it down. You'll need to be perfect on this info to answer exam questions and having a reference in front of you will be helpful in gaining confidence.

The more you study it, the more you'll have it memorized. This will come more in handy when at work since you'll have more time to think through the math involved but basic stuff like /24, /30, /29 or whatever will come naturally.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I've got a home lab system that I'm looking to get rid of, if anyone is interested. It's this Shuttle case with an i7-3770s quad core, 16GB of memory and a 240GB mSATA drive. I'm looking to get around $500 for it. I've also got a Cisco SG300-10 layer 3 capable switch that I'll include for another $100. PM me if interested, or just drop a line here and I'll get in touch with you. I can probably also throw in some VMware NFR licenses that are usually good for at least six months.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think I've stumbled across the largest lump of horse manure in the general pile that is the 410. The question is asking why a print job won't print. The print job was sent 16:59. The StartTime is 720 and the UntilTime is 1200, which is 12:00 to 20:00 UTC. The answer to the question hinges on the assumption that the printer is located on the east coast of North America and the print job was sent at 16:59 eastern time, which is assumed to be outside business hours, neither of which was mentioned anywhere in the question. I guess we are also supposed to know what the weather was like when the print job was sent and what they were serving in the company cafeteria that day.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For that one, it can't print because the printer status is paused. The start time and until times are red herrings.
It asks at what times a user can submit jobs, the answer is any time. It won't actually print until the Start time, it'll just remain in queue.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For that one, it can't print because the printer status is paused. The start time and until times are red herrings.
It asks at what times a user can submit jobs, the answer is any time. It won't actually print until the Start time, it'll just remain in queue.

The question wasn't why it was paused. That part was given. It was why it was paused in the queue and not printing. If we knew the office was in the eastern time zone, then we'd be like: "Ah, that's 21:59 UTC, outside the time range", but 16:59 UTC would still be within the 12:00-20:00 UTC range and so it would have printed right away instead of pausing until the start time and then we'd have to keep on digging for answers.

I mean, would it have killed them to include something like: "A user in the New York office reports that..."?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's not going to print, no matter what time of day it is, because the printer is in a paused status.

Users can submit jobs at any time, but they won't print until it's between those times and it gets unpaused.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
The correct answer is "gently caress Printers!"

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

The correct answer is "gently caress Printers!"

gently caress print devices!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

HPL posted:

gently caress print devices!

This made me laugh harder than it should have.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
normally not much of a james conrad basher but holy gently caress how did they let him get away with those A+ 80x videos?

like he literally just added 12 extra videos over the 70x series and called it quits

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
What's the general consensus on Udemy? Specifically am thinking of signing up for the course here on Containers. It's reviewed pretty well but I've never signed up for anything from them before.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Wicaeed posted:

What's the general consensus on Udemy? Specifically am thinking of signing up for the course here on Containers. It's reviewed pretty well but I've never signed up for anything from them before.

If you pay more than $20 you're not trying hard enough for coupons. I paid $15 for over 30 hours of CCNA videos and it was a really great resource.

It's like a community college though. The entire experience depends on the instructors which range from "really great" to "cashing a check".

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you pay more than $20 you're not trying hard enough for coupons. I paid $15 for over 30 hours of CCNA videos and it was a really great resource.

It's like a community college though. The entire experience depends on the instructors which range from "really great" to "cashing a check".

This, treat is as a Steam sale and hoard when stuff can be gotten cheap. I got some really good CCNA/CCNP stuff as well, but the Juniper courses seem worse across the board.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Udemy routinely has what you're looking for for $10-15. Do not get anything for anything else.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Man we really should consolidate about 10 of these threads into general "I work in IT, let's talk" threads. I have no idea where to post this question. It's going here.

If I want to put together a basic CCNA lab, I go buy a couple of switches, couple of routers, it's all good. Or, I do it in GNS3. Easy. Here's my question. How do I know which version of IOS to run on each device? There's so many options and flags that I'm at a loss.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Google Cisco software downloads. On that site you can search by specific model numbers and see applicable software with release notes (usually).

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Man we really should consolidate about 10 of these threads into general "I work in IT, let's talk" threads. I have no idea where to post this question. It's going here.

If I want to put together a basic CCNA lab, I go buy a couple of switches, couple of routers, it's all good. Or, I do it in GNS3. Easy. Here's my question. How do I know which version of IOS to run on each device? There's so many options and flags that I'm at a loss.

God, post it here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561669

:ducks:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bigass Moth posted:

Google Cisco software downloads. On that site you can search by specific model numbers and see applicable software with release notes (usually).
Yeah I don't mean literally which IOS is for which device, anyone can Google that. I mean which of the 27 versions of IOS with various flags turned on and off which all can run on a particular device do I want to run for a lab? Dah well.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
For the CCNA you can use any of them. Every version has the same basic commands that CCNA covers. I can't imagine you'll run in to version issues with the CCNP either. Unless you switch tracks to security or collaboration version shouldn't matter.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'd imagine the new CCNA uses version 15.X. All of the commands are the same on the cisco access layer switches, with the exception of some minor feature variants that you won't encounter at the NA or even NP level.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

You'll probably want to get one with crypto, which I believe is identified by "k9" in the filename. Not sure if that's included by default in 15.x though.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Took and passed CCNP Security: 300-208 yesterday. What a garbage exam. Never seen so may spelling errors and the "sims" are just screenshots of ISE that have clickable links when you highlight over something important. I'd skip the ccnp sec completely, but welp, sunk cost fallacy and work is paying for it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I'm looking to dip my toes into a different field then I'm currently working in. I have about 10 years of experience in my current job which is functional/technical application administration.

I'd love to get a job in network/security but my current employer deems it unlikely I can roll into a job at the company I currently work for.

They did however allow me to take a training of my choice. Since a purely security gig seems more difficult to get I was thinking that CCNAis probably of better use to me right now than CEH or CISSP.

I'm in doubt which one I should take though. Should I go for routing and switching which seems like the best allround choice, or should I take security, which is closer to the field I'd like to grow into but might be more difficult to land a starting gig.

What would you guys recommend? I'm an EU goon, in case that matters.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
sitting here and reading Lammle's N10-006 deluxe study guide

what tips do you guys have of retaining all this (or any kind of information, for that matter...)?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Race Realists posted:

sitting here and reading Lammle's N10-006 deluxe study guide

what tips do you guys have of retaining all this (or any kind of information, for that matter...)?

Repetition :eng99:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
For N+, flash cards. There's barely any problem solving or deep analysis, most of it is "What does this? What does this stand for? If I wanted this speed fiber at this distance, what connector and protocol would I use?"

Acronym on one side, function on the other, and make sure you memorize the full name.

For harder tests it's all about taking notes, going over those notes, clarifying stuff you need to fill in for those notes, then studying them like crazy before the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

For N+, flash cards. There's barely any problem solving or deep analysis, most of it is "What does this? What does this stand for? If I wanted this speed fiber at this distance, what connector and protocol would I use?"

Acronym on one side, function on the other, and make sure you memorize the full name.

For harder tests it's all about taking notes, going over those notes, clarifying stuff you need to fill in for those notes, then studying them like crazy before the test.

i think the biggest problem for me is, i always forget the super smaller details like FCS and CRC

like i know RADIUS is used primarily for wireless security, but i honestly had no idea it could ALSO be used for VPN

seems rather pointless using a highlighter for this drat book, considering im rereading every single sentence of every single paragraph:suicide:

finals are about to end so maybe i could buy some n10-006 flash cards?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 11, 2015