Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Bleh. I really want to get into SC but the "there are ten billion easily missable things" thing is kinda tiring and makes it hard to play casually. I'm pretty willing to give up on max BP at this point but is there anything otherwise I should keep an eye out for?

In one of the chapters you'll be traveling on foot around the country. There is a really fun optional/missable sidequest then at the Royal academy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... wait, Cold Steel's artbook has stuff from it and CSII?

Uhhhhhhh...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

OddObserver posted:

In one of the chapters you'll be traveling on foot around the country. There is a really fun optional/missable sidequest then at the Royal academy.

They say at the guild that you should check out the academy so it's far from obscure

Literally just play the game. Everything missable doesn't matter or is heavily sign posted

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

They say at the guild that you should check out the academy so it's far from obscure

Literally just play the game. Everything missable doesn't matter or is heavily sign posted

Yes, they really intend a full BP run to be NG+, I think more than FC. I don't think the reward from A rank is that amazing anyway. It's high defense but the armors you find in the final dungeon boost other stats and tend to be more useful.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Really Pants posted:

It's what you get for collecting all the Gambler Jack books and turning them in. If you have one, you can use it to get a second piece early in the finale. You make weapons with it.

You also get a piece on NG+, but NG+ is currently bugged to delete all the gear and quartz that anybody was wearing at the end of your last game, so I recommend holding off on it for now.

Is that a bug? I just figured it was because there really wasn't a time to save after the final boss rush before the credits.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Thank you for this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Huh, didn't know Rean used that style of swordplay.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Motto posted:

Huh, didn't know Rean used that style of swordplay.

Yup, Rean is part of the same sword school as Cassius, Col. Richard, Anelace and a few characters who English speakers haven't seen yet. I forget if he shares any moves with Anelace or Richard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Levantine posted:

Yes, they really intend a full BP run to be NG+, I think more than FC. I don't think the reward from A rank is that amazing anyway. It's high defense but the armors you find in the final dungeon boost other stats and tend to be more useful.

Yeah, I don't even remember if I put the Aura Guard on anyone. Maybe Estelle?

The B+ Stregas were way more useful (on Agate's feet, natch).

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SpaceDrake posted:

Yup, Rean is part of the same sword school as Cassius, Col. Richard, Anelace and a few characters who English speakers haven't seen yet. I forget if he shares any moves with Anelace or Richard.

They're different forms, so I assume not.

Edit: Well, technically we've never been told Anelace's form, so I guess it could be the same as hers.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 3, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I don't even remember if I put the Aura Guard on anyone. Maybe Estelle?

The B+ Stregas were way more useful (on Agate's feet, natch).

I stuck the Aura Guard on Kloe because I was determined to use her against the final bosses and while it keeps her alive it also reduces her casting ability.

Kevin seems to be the better endgame fourth though, if i had to do it over again.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Levantine posted:

I stuck the Aura Guard on Kloe because I was determined to use her against the final bosses and while it keeps her alive it also reduces her casting ability.

Kevin seems to be the better endgame fourth though, if i had to do it over again.

I never had issues with her dying, but I also was in the low 90s when I finished the game, so that probably helped (everyone - including Kloe - was north of 10k HP).

E: I guess it depends on what you want out of your fourth, though. I wanted a fourth damage dealer that can also support, and Kloe with all the women-only offensive Arts gear does just fine. Kevin is definitely much more pure defense/support - 200 CP Grail Sphere is bananas.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i get Christmas to new years off so I am excited to play a bunch of cold steel and not work

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... there are Wallpapers on the site for Vita.

Including a Olivier one.

Getting with the force of a billion suns!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
ToCS has a release date: https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/672507220349833216

22/12. Wondering if I should get it on Vita or wait for a possible nicer PC version down the line.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Selane posted:

Also I just beat SC a few days ago so I guess I'll post a few random musings while I still remember.

-The last dungeon was fun and had cool music, and I appreciate that it was pretty linear compared to the annoying shithole final dungeon from FC

Yeah, I guess that was a big improvement. Short and direct, the FC final dungeon was exhausting.

quote:

-Like several people have mentioned, both Renne fights were pretty awful, both the first one with the petrify spamming laser robots and the second with the giant robot that can resurrect her at will.

I actually didn't mind either of those fights. The first one I was clued into what status ailments I should protect myself from based on the accessories you could find in the chests. In the second one, I didn't mind the robot reviving Renne, since that was a turn the robot wasn't using to murder me, and it wasn't all that hard to beat Renne back down to 0 HP.

quote:

-For the bosses that create duplicates of themselves, I like how if you use your head there are multiple ways to tell which is the real version and which are the fakes.

Really? What was the one for Luci? I couldn't figure out a good way to hit her duplicates without her assholishly teleporting my party members there in it's place. Using Phantom Raid was a MISTAKE. Bleublanc was easy enough to do by using an AoE attack.

quote:

-As usual, they managed to genuinely surprise me a few times. A surprise appearance from Colonel Richard of all people was the last thing I would have expected.

I wasn't that surprised. After the final boss of SC, Richard clearly realized that he'd hosed things up and wanted a way to atone. With that and his memory wipe, I wasn't surprised that Cassius would find a way to make use of someone that smart and capable.

quote:

-Making you run through the drat Zeiss tunnel in the dark is bs. I had the night vision goggles but that poo poo was still annoying :argh:

Cloak quartz.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 13, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

ToCS has a release date: https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/672507220349833216

22/12. Wondering if I should get it on Vita or wait for a possible nicer PC version down the line.

It'd be rad but a PC port isn't particularly likely despite all the falcom game that are on steam so i wouldn't hold my breath

Selane
May 19, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Really? What was the one for Luci? I couldn't figure out a good way to hit her duplicates without her assholishly teleporting my party members there in it's place. Using Phantom Raid was a MISTAKE. Bleublanc was easy enough to do by using an AoE attack.

If you stick a debuff like str down on someone before they split the duplicates won't have it on them. Also, if you're using Information quartz the clones will always have an XP value of 1, as opposed to the normal value for the actual boss.

And I figured there was some way to get Cloak earlier on, but whatever it is I didn't find it. So I didn't have it until you can buy it from shops in chapter 9.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Selane posted:

If you stick a debuff like str down on someone before they split the duplicates won't have it on them. Also, if you're using Information quartz the clones will always have an XP value of 1, as opposed to the normal value for the actual boss.

And I figured there was some way to get Cloak earlier on, but whatever it is I didn't find it. So I didn't have it until you can buy it from shops in chapter 9.

Cloak is in the last tower of chapter 7, and even if you missed it you can actually buy it in chapter 8 anyway

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

It'd be rad but a PC port isn't particularly likely despite all the falcom game that are on steam so i wouldn't hold my breath

Is there a reason for this do you know? I was really hoping a PC version would come out myself because now I'm kinda hooked on these games, but I don't have a PS3 or a vita.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Broose posted:

Is there a reason for this do you know? I was really hoping a PC version would come out myself because now I'm kinda hooked on these games, but I don't have a PS3 or a vita.

Trails in the Sky and SC were originally made for the PC, so there was existing PC code for XSeed to use for the English versions.

Trails of Cold Steel has only been released on PS3 and Vita; there's no existing PC version for XSeed to localize, which means that in order to make a PC versions either Falcom or XSeed would have to build the port from the ground up, which is a big undertaking.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Well, that's a bummer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can get a vita really cheap these days.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

Trails in the Sky and SC were originally made for the PC, so there was existing PC code for XSeed to use for the English versions.

Trails of Cold Steel has only been released on PS3 and Vita; there's no existing PC version for XSeed to localize, which means that in order to make a PC versions either Falcom or XSeed would have to build the port from the ground up, which is a big undertaking.

Not completely from the ground up, since Trails of Cold Steel makes use of the PhyreEngine, an engine made by Sony that has built-in support for PS3, PS4, Vita and Microsoft Windows. But I'm fairly sure you'd still have to go through the entire project, remove all PS3/Vita-related system calls and replace them with equivalent directX calls. It's hardly an impossible task, there have been quite a few PhyreEngine games released over the years and several of those were given PC ports. The issue is that one of the two parties involved would have to handle the porting process and neither of the two parties is all that suitable.

- XSeed only has one programmer, Sara, who handles ALL their PC-related projects and unless we find some means to clone her, it's unlikely she'll be able to handle porting an entire Trails games to a different platform on her own, even if she knows her way around PhyreEngine.

- Falcom has around 50 employees, but those are all console programmers. They haven't done any PC development in years and Sara once mentioned that she now has a bigger understanding of the workings of the PC Ys and Trails games than anyone at Falcom. Also Falcom isn't really that large and prefers to dedicate their programmers' time to the creation of new games. Since PC gaming is a niche of a niche in Japan, they have no incentive to put their own people on the porting process either, since Cold Steel for PC probably wouldn't sell well enough over there to cover the costs.

- Ideally, a 3rd party with experience in PhyreEngine games on PC would handle it, but who would finance the whole thing? Falcom or XSeed?

If either Falcom or XSeed were a bit larger, we'd have seen a PC version of Cold Steel already, most likely. As things are now, the odds of seeing Cold Steel on PC at this point are still very slim.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'll probably depend on how well SC does on steam. If it does really well, they might be able to work something out with a third party.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, I know Falcom would have to be the ones to port it first, it's just that Japanese devs are starting to realise there's a PC market and port their games to it, so who knows. :v:

Mostly my issue was with the inability to patch TiTS' translation on handheld, but that's because they were PSP games. Presumably there will be no issues patching the Vita version, outside of console certification.

Endorph posted:

You can get a vita really cheap these days.

It's still $300 in the UK, but fortunately I've already spent that money! :toot:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got mine for £120 off eBay and it only slightly looks like someone's dog mauled it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Broose posted:

Get a Playstation TV if you dont' want to pay for a Vita: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-TV-vita/dp/B00KVMHSUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449226218&sr=8-1&keywords=playstation+tv

Any compatability issues seem to have been sorted out and it has a huge library. I paid full price for mine when it launched but at 33 bucks that's a gimme.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Some Numbers posted:

I'd definitely back any Kickstarter but I can't imagine the fanbase is large enough for a Kickstarter to succeed. And yeah, there is the other problem of having enough people to work on it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bleh, I kinda assumed it would come out on Steam at some point. A Vita is definitely not on the cards for me at the moment,

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does anyone who has played the Japanese releases of Cold Steel know, all things being equal, whether the PS3 or Vita version is considered better? I have both systems so there's no real stake in it for either one for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Munin posted:

Bleh, I kinda assumed it would come out on Steam at some point. A Vita is definitely not on the cards for me at the moment,

Like other people have pointed out, you could wait and see if it's PSTV compatible (it probably is) and then get a PSTV. They're like, $20-40 plus the cost of an 8GB Vita memory card for an HDMI set-top-box that will play most (but not all, hence the waiting) Vita games with a PS3 controller.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Like other people have pointed out, you could wait and see if it's PSTV compatible (it probably is) and then get a PSTV. They're like, $20-40 plus the cost of an 8GB Vita memory card for an HDMI set-top-box that will play most (but not all, hence the waiting) Vita games with a PS3 controller.

It's not necessarily confirmation, but the other versions are PSTV compatible.

I mean, they could magically not make it compatible for some inane reason, but I don't see why.

... also, "plus the cost of an 8GB vita memory card" is a lot more than you make it sound. Jesus christ it costs as much as the actual system sometimes. gently caress Sony and their proprietary memory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Supremezero posted:

I mean, they could magically not make it compatible for some inane reason, but I don't see why.

It's literally a whitelist that Sony updates per region, so it's sadly totally arbitrary, hardware considerations/precedent don't come into play. :(

Supremezero posted:

... also, "plus the cost of an 8GB vita memory card" is a lot more than you make it sound. Jesus christ it costs as much as the actual system sometimes. gently caress Sony and their proprietary memory.

Yeah, the proprietary memory card stuff is pure nonsense and I imagine probably had at least something to do with the Vita performing very poorly.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nate RFB posted:

Does anyone who has played the Japanese releases of Cold Steel know, all things being equal, whether the PS3 or Vita version is considered better? I have both systems so there's no real stake in it for either one for me.

I asked that question a few weeks back and Spacedrake said the ps3 version was the one to play.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zaggitz posted:

I asked that question a few weeks back and Spacedrake said the ps3 version was the one to play.

If you're playing exclusively at home and don't prefer lounging around the house with a Vita, then yes, on balance the PS3 version is the superior experience. Higher resolution, slightly better load times, et cetera.

And yeah, while a PC version of Cold Steel would be possible on a technical level due to PhyreEngine (we've had a number of Phyre ports on Steam now), if you're interested in the game and/or want to support the franchise, don't hesitate. A PC port will be a while in coming, if it ever does, and I do not know of any plans to port the Cold Steel games.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Load times you say. How much better is slightly better?

I'm really not one to give a poo poo about minor differences in graphics that everyone loves to hold up as "why would you even play on the other thing when this exists", but load times are something worth caring about.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

SpaceDrake posted:

If you're playing exclusively at home and don't prefer lounging around the house with a Vita, then yes, on balance the PS3 version is the superior experience. Higher resolution, slightly better load times, et cetera.

And yeah, while a PC version of Cold Steel would be possible on a technical level due to PhyreEngine (we've had a number of Phyre ports on Steam now), if you're interested in the game and/or want to support the franchise, don't hesitate. A PC port will be a while in coming, if it ever does, and I do not know of any plans to port the Cold Steel games.

It doesn't seem likely though. How well has SC been selling since its initial launch date? It seems like it went under a lot of people's radars.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Slur posted:

It doesn't seem likely though. How well has SC been selling since its initial launch date? It seems like it went under a lot of people's radars.

Seems to have sold much less than FC; which is not surprising considering you really should finish FC before playing it. The SC launch does seem to have given FC sales another shot in the arm in part due to that.

What buzz I have seen has been good and I have seen more and morre word of mouth mention of it on various sites since SC came around. Man I seriously do hope that with long tail sales etc porting it ends up making them a good chunk of change.

[edit] I also have to admit to being one of the people who raves on about TitS in comment threads...

But to add a touch more detail. The regular "What are you playing this weekend" feature on RPS had one other person playing TitS last week and this week three plus one of the RPS contributors considering it. That's after Kotaku having a article calling Trails the best JRPG of the decade so far recently. So there is definitely some increasing awareness.

Munin fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I don't think FC sold that much immediately either. It was a long haul thing. So there's not much point in judging SC at this point.