Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ImpAtom posted:

I personally am looking forward to seeing Henry Cavill in sunglasses, Henry Cavill with a robot face, black Henry Cavill in armor (War Machine tie-in?!) and teenage Henry Cavill.

And we'll get a newly revived Henry Cavill with long, beautiful hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
This Luthor makes way more sense for the era we live in, since he represents the wacky silicon valley tech guys that we need to stand up to before they finish turning America into a nation of distracted and underpaid short duration servants for anyone too lazy to go get their own McDonalds. I'm way more scared of them than I am of a major corporation, because they're actually pretty good at obfuscating how loving awful they are from everyone, themselves included. It makes sense for our times to have a superhero who is also a captain of industry and a populist everyman superhero stand together to stop a deluded utopian liberal tech mogul.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I hope they mega-troll fans and everything seen so far is from the first half of the movie and the rest of it is just a solid hour of Gotham and Metropolis being destroyed by Superman and Batman's one hour of screen time struggle with Doomsday and there's an after credits teaser of John Henry Irons for no reason.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I can't believe some people on the internet think they're "wasting" Doomsday with this movie. Anyone with half a brain knew that Batman and Superman were gonna set their differences aside to deal with a larger, and Doomsday is perfect for that - powerful enough to be too much for Superman to deal with alone and one dimensional enough to be put to bed by the end of the movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I can't believe some people on the internet think they're "wasting" Doomsday with this movie. Anyone with half a brain knew that Batman and Superman were gonna set their differences aside to deal with a larger, and Doomsday is perfect for that - powerful enough to be too much for Superman to deal with alone and one dimensional enough to be put to bed by the end of the movie.

AND best part, easy enough to bring back in further movies as either More Zod or More Doomsday.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
With Duber by LexCorp.io anyone can fight the alien menace in are country, but with Bitcoin

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neo Rasa posted:

I hope they mega-troll fans and everything seen so far is from the first half of the movie and the rest of it is just a solid hour of Gotham and Metropolis being destroyed by Superman and Batman's one hour of screen time struggle with Doomsday and there's an after credits teaser of John Henry Irons for no reason.

I frequently see people describe Superman's six minute battle with Zod as "endless" or "tiring", so I'm pretty sure a solid hour of Zack Snyder Super Punch'Ems would send people scrambling for the exits.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I frequently see people describe Superman's six minute battle with Zod as "endless" or "tiring", so I'm pretty sure a solid hour of Zack Snyder Super Punch'Ems would send people scrambling for the exits.

It's pretty nuts, but I can see how people think that if they aren't used to it. I watched Fury Road (literally one of the best action movies to ever grace the cinemas) and I caught myself thinking more than once 'holy poo poo, this is exhausting'. You were always taking something new in, and it was such an actiony "always on" movie that yeah, I can see it. I loved every second of it, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Personally I love movies like that that hit a point where the movie does not stop, like everything in Evil Dead from the pencil scene on or the last half hour of Alien. Man of Steel really scratched that itch for me.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, a third-act villain who actually had two brain cells to rub together would require a fair bit more screen time to develop and set up, whereas Doomsday can basically just be an extension of Luthor's role in the first two acts. I'm not a huge fan of the character, but I'm fine with how he seems to be used here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

On further reflection, the problem that I have with Doomsday is that he looks almost exactly like what I pictured when I imagined a CGI Doomsday. The Kryptonians were such a rad surprise in Man of Steel, with their elaborate all-black armor, heraldry, and skull helmets, that I was kinda expecting lightning to strike twice. I wanted to see some reinvention of the character or at least a wild re-interpretation with a few surprises. But instead I pretty much got Doomsday. For better or for worse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

On further reflection, the problem that I have with Doomsday is that he looks almost exactly like what I pictured when I imagined a CGI Doomsday. The Kryptonians were such a rad surprise in Man of Steel, with their elaborate all-black armor, heraldry, and skull helmets, that I was kinda expecting lightning to strike twice. I wanted to see some reinvention of the character or at least a wild re-interpretation with a few surprises. But instead I pretty much got Doomsday. For better or for worse.

Nah. That wasn't very close to any of his comic selves.

Though he likely will physically change across his role in the movie so that could be cool

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I really felt it was, obviously with some concessions toward "realism".

I really do hope he gets tougher as they fight. There's that rumor that Wonder Woman cuts his fuckin' arm off and he grows it back with bone spikes on it so if that's true then cool.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Well, to be frank, if the DCCU wants to avoid the pitfalls that the DCAU had, Doomsday is the perfect setup. He's a villain strong enough that Superman can't solo him (and I think that will be demonstrated in BvS), forces teamwork, and is also a global event where everyone (including the other JL heroes) find that not even Superman can do this alone. Perhaps most importantly of all, Superman himself sees this.

It gives the DCCU the impetus to start a Justice League because there are villains and threats that none of them (even the most powerful) can tackle by themselves and it also means they see the value of a teamwork. I also believe Superman "dying" would actually accomplish this goal even more but I don't know if the film will go that far. If Superman is out of the picture for a few movies, it gives the DCCU the artistic freedom to explore each of the members and their individual strength/weaknesses without the need to explain away Superman's involvement. Superman then returns and they all know their roles.

As for the DKR and D&RoS storylines, Batman could very well "beat" Superman in this film. Superman losing might be the character development he needs in order to face Doomsday (i.e. the humility to ask for help).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Superman can't die because he's only been doing his Supermanning for a year or whatever, right? He can die when he's an established world-hero. Then people'd care.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FooF posted:

Well, to be frank, if the DCCU wants to avoid the pitfalls that the DCAU had, Doomsday is the perfect setup. He's a villain strong enough that Superman can't solo him (and I think that will be demonstrated in BvS), forces teamwork, and is also a global event where everyone (including the other JL heroes) find that not even Superman can do this alone. Perhaps most importantly of all, Superman himself sees this.

It gives the DCCU the impetus to start a Justice League because there are villains and threats that none of them (even the most powerful) can tackle by themselves and it also means they see the value of a teamwork. I also believe Superman "dying" would actually accomplish this goal even more but I don't know if the film will go that far. If Superman is out of the picture for a few movies, it gives the DCCU the artistic freedom to explore each of the members and their individual strength/weaknesses without the need to explain away Superman's involvement. Superman then returns and they all know their roles.

As for the DKR and D&RoS storylines, Batman could very well "beat" Superman in this film. Superman losing might be the character development he needs in order to face Doomsday (i.e. the humility to ask for help).

And then by fourth movie we can flash forward and get Kingdom Come

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hbomberguy posted:

What makes Superman culpable for the violence in Man of Steel?
Legally and moralistically? Nothing other than the fact that keeping himself sequestered and secret from the world led to its ignorance and unreadiness to face those threats. And outside of the legalities and moralistics, the harsh truth is that this race did come looking for him, so logistically this all did happen because of him.

(The idea that they would have come anyway because of some random spaceship from however many years ago is a bit of a stretch; they were looking for Kal-El and Jor-El's codex. Earth might not even have crossed Zod's mind if Kal had landed on another system. Or it might have, but that still wouldn't absolve Kal-El's influence.)

The thing is though, even if the entire world was in total agreement that Kal-El did absolutely everything right in every way possible and holds no blame whatsoever, the question of what to do with him going forward is still paramount. The question of how to enforce culpability upon him if necessary is still needed. There's no variation of any events that should compel anyone to think "Well, let's just let this guy do whatever he wants 'cuz who cares, right?"

ImpAtom posted:

Why does Superman need that question answered and not Wonder Woman?
Because it's a Superman movie? Because he even has a movie out at all? We don't know anything at all about Wonder Woman's motivations, methods, or power level. The question will probably apply to her at some point, but it also might very well never need to apply.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Bruce reasons that Superman's mere presence makes Earth a target. He is correct. Of course, Bruce is also a problem, but comic books are always far more complex than most writers will allow.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drifter posted:

Superman can't die because he's only been doing his Supermanning for a year or whatever, right? He can die when he's an established world-hero. Then people'd care.

He's already seen as a god by some, and reviled as a false god by others. Having him die in order to save those who persecute/worship him would be a sacrifice worth remembering.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BrianWilly posted:

We don't know anything at all about Wonder Woman's motivations, methods, or power level. The question will probably apply to her at some point, but it also might very well never need to apply.

If they go with the comics at all, Wonder Woman could beat the poo poo out of Superman in any head-on confrontation (at least, all the way up until the depictions of Superman in "the future" where he has absorbed enough solar energy to eventually become stronger than her). The only way Superman can take Wonder Woman out is if he gets a sucker punch in at the start and never lets up. Also, the handful of times Batman has made remarks about her in the comics have been some variation of saying that Wonder Woman is "The best melee fighter anywhere".

This is mostly because Wonder Woman's powers are based in Magic and Superman is as vulnerable to that as anyone else. She's basically a goddess and has faced down several global extinction level threats by herself in various comics. The reason she gets more slack from humanity is that (at least in the comics) she was always up front about who she was, what she wanted and what her long-term goals were.

Man of Steel Superman, on the other hand, has insisted on privacy and made no effort to reassure humanity that he isn't a threat, even in the aftermath of what happened in the events of the first movie.

Whether Wonder Woman acts like her comic counterpart in this movie will determine a lot, but there is a great deal of potential for her to actually play as a role model to Superman as opposed to the antagonistic roll Batman will play (depending on whether the Themiscyra island of the Amazons is portrayed as a hidden island or extradimensional plane).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 3, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

He's already seen as a god by some, and reviled as a false god by others. Having him die in order to save those who persecute/worship him would be a sacrifice worth remembering.

Sure, and to some people Krispy Kreme's a god. Let's wait until he's more of an Apple or Alibaba or Amazon or something, first.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FooF posted:

Well, to be frank, if the DCCU wants to avoid the pitfalls that the DCAU had

Which ones? The DCAU was always pretty solid and it probably wouldn't have been hard to adapt and condense the overarching story into three or four movies with some minor changes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drifter posted:

Sure, and to some people Krispy Kreme's a god. Let's wait until he's more of an Apple or Alibaba or Amazon or something, first.

Drawing the Krispy Kreme logo on your roof won't save you from a raging flood :colbert:

Actually, or would it? If you eat lots of Krispy Kreme donuts, that'd likely make you plump and buoyant. Would you sink or float if you had lots of donuts in you?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Which ones? The DCAU was always pretty solid and it probably wouldn't have been hard to adapt and condense the overarching story into three or four movies with some minor changes.

He may be referring to how the Justice League cartoon never really did a great job in Season 1 of establishing why Superman would need anyone's help, and they regularly used nonsensical tricks to get him out of the picture. He'd get captured and put in like a electric torture rack or something that shocked him every time he moved to get out. Usually it involved electricity. I think they figured kryptonite was lame and they couldn't overuse it but their ideas weren't really any better.

By season 2 and JLU they go more creative and did more interesting stuff like having Superman sent back in time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

He may be referring to how the Justice League cartoon never really did a great job in Season 1 of establishing why Superman would need anyone's help, and they regularly used nonsensical tricks to get him out of the picture. He'd get captured and put in like a electric torture rack or something that shocked him every time he moved to get out. Usually it involved electricity. I think they figured kryptonite was lame and they couldn't overuse it but their ideas weren't really any better.

By season 2 and JLU they go more creative and did more interesting stuff like having Superman sent back in time.

Or telling smaller scale stories where it was like "Why would you bother Superman with this poo poo?"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Wade Wilson posted:

Man of Steel Superman, on the other hand, has insisted on privacy and made no effort to reassure humanity that he isn't a threat, even in the aftermath of what happened in the events of the first movie.

Haha what? there was a whole section of the movie about exactly that

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Basebf555 posted:

He may be referring to how the Justice League cartoon never really did a great job in Season 1 of establishing why Superman would need anyone's help

In the very first episode, aliens he couldn't take on alone which followed the whole darkseid thing from the superman animated series and made him, and the others, realize there are things he can't do alone. The biggest thing about the DCAU was that superman was way scaled down in power compared to movies and the comics, as well. It's probably one of the weakest portrayals of superman which is probably why I think it's also the best because while he's still one of the strongest characters in the series, he's not the godly character from the comics.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Glad to see others notice this too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FooF posted:

MoS Superman has Jesus style humility, down to turning the other cheek. His plan to stop Zod required the help of the army and others. If anyone is going to be humbled in BvS, it's going to be Batman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah and especially in some recent stories, the Nolan flicks and the video games (which yeah they're just games but they sell way more than the comics) Batman is much more of the I AM THE CHOSEN ONE I'M GONNA DO THIS MY WAY HRRRRNNNNGGGG character of the two.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah and especially in some recent stories, the Nolan flicks and the video games (which yeah they're just games but they sell way more than the comics) Batman is much more of the I AM THE CHOSEN ONE I'M GONNA DO THIS MY WAY HRRRRNNNNGGGG character of the two.

That's probably like, the exact opposite of the character in the Nolan flicks.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

Glad to see others notice this too.

Christ, can someone stuff him in a locker already?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

broken clock opsec posted:

That's probably like, the exact opposite of the character in the Nolan flicks.

It really isn't. Batman continues justifies why he's the only one who can be trusted with all this and why he should be allowed to run around with a hi-tech arsenal of weapons.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowman_McK posted:

It really isn't. Batman continues justifies why he's the only one who can be trusted with all this and why he should be allowed to run around with a hi-tech arsenal of weapons.

Yeah, three loving movies of Batman acting like a spoiled manbaby and people still don't get it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

wyoming posted:

Yeah, three loving movies of Batman acting like a spoiled manbaby and people still don't get it.

His big character moment isn't the heroic sacrifice, it's a) learning to live and b) accepting that other people can also do things. He's got a martyr complex a mile wide.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

BrianWilly posted:

Legally and moralistically? Nothing other than the fact that keeping himself sequestered and secret from the world led to its ignorance and unreadiness to face those threats. And outside of the legalities and moralistics, the harsh truth is that this race did come looking for him, so logistically this all did happen because of him.

So you're saying Superman is culpable for the violence the bad guys did, because the bad guys wanted him?

I think I get Computer Parts' joke now. Holy poo poo dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

"What gives you the right? What makes you better than us?"
"...least I'm not wearing hockey pads."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

In the very first episode, aliens he couldn't take on alone which followed the whole darkseid thing from the superman animated series and made him, and the others, realize there are things he can't do alone. The biggest thing about the DCAU was that superman was way scaled down in power compared to movies and the comics, as well. It's probably one of the weakest portrayals of superman which is probably why I think it's also the best because while he's still one of the strongest characters in the series, he's not the godly character from the comics.

Yea but the reason he couldn't take on the aliens alone is because they captured him and hooked him up to some torture rack device that he somehow couldn't break out of. Maybe that would have been ok if they didn't keep reusing it, at one point Darkseid shoots Superman with something he calls an Agony Matrix or something like that. Darkseid claims it stimulates his pain receptors or some crap but big surprise it just looks like it shocks Superman over and over with electricity. That poo poo got stale.

You're right that it was a weak portrayal of Superman but people did not like that at all. It was the #1 criticism of the show at that time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
An alternate cut of the BvS trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Sn535mvhU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

I really love how, in the final scene, when Batman gets his gadget at the ready, and Wonder Woman preps her sword and shield, Superman just flexes.

• Locked thread