Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!

Toast posted:

So I'm in Canada... for a good budget 4k 55" how much better is a Sony XBR55X810C vs. the Vizio M55. I unfortunately missed the boat on a good sale on the sony as they're out of stock and best buy seems to be only national store that carries them..

I want the tv soon enough that my budget is pretty much maxed at under 1500CAD and I'm doing general TV stuff and some xbone/ps4 gaming.

Check this out:
LG 55" 4K Ultra HD 120Hz IPS LED Smart TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Crossposting from deals thread because I don't think people know about it:

LG Electronics 55EG9100 1080p OLED 1399 via Adorama on eBay

God am I getting close to just saying gently caress it and getting this vs the 65" flat OLED which is 3x as much.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Thanatosian posted:

I'm looking for something that I can basically play the very occasional XBox 360 game on or watch a movie or two when people visit. Am I crazy for considering something like this (15% discount on Amazon Warehouse today)?

Considering Amazon just pulled it from sale because people were reporting something was wrong with it, idk man

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

I looked at that one but most of the reviews I've seen have pegged it under the vizio for stuff I care about.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

sellouts posted:

Crossposting from deals thread because I don't think people know about it:

LG Electronics 55EG9100 1080p OLED 1399 via Adorama on eBay

God am I getting close to just saying gently caress it and getting this vs the 65" flat OLED which is 3x as much.

I'm super loving tempted to get that TV.

Edit: welp, that sold out quickly.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 1, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
For anyone with the Sony 850, what motion settings are you guys using. I actually turned everything off, simply because I can't stand the soap opera effect.

Grittykitty
Aug 10, 2004
Sand makes it scratchy
Soiled Meat

Thanatosian posted:

I'm looking for something that I can basically play the very occasional XBox 360 game on or watch a movie or two when people visit. Am I crazy for considering something like this (15% discount on Amazon Warehouse today)?

I saw the 32 inch model of this TV for sale and I really want it because of the built in ROKU. I want to put something in my garage so I can watch the occasional football/soccer/baseball game while the kids are playing in the driveway.

Will I notice that it's only 720P? I'm not planning on putting a cable box on it and instead use rabbit ears for local broadcasts or the ROKU functions for streaming.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

32" and 720p at normal viewing distances sound fine to me. Especially if you're watching broadcast mostly.

E: my only concern is that I bet $1 that it's not natively 720p and its scaling to some awkward resolution internally. Usually something like 1356x768 or similar.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

EL BROMANCE posted:

32" and 720p at normal viewing distances sound fine to me. Especially if you're watching broadcast mostly.

E: my only concern is that I bet $1 that it's not natively 720p and its scaling to some awkward resolution internally. Usually something like 1356x768 or similar.

Which is still fine, how is that a concern? I've had a 32" 720p Westinghouse for like 10 years. It's 1366x768, you can't tell... 32" is really small for a TV. You aren't using it as a computer monitor.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

sellouts posted:

Vizio m series 49" for 529 on Vizio.com with free shipping.

http://www.vizio.com/blackfriday/m49c1.html

And I refreshed and it's gone. E series is still available and still better than the Samsung imo

Amazon has the 50" M50-C1 for $630 with prime, which would work within my budget thanks to some cash back options I have. Was thinking about cancelling my backorder for the 49" with Adorama to pick this up. Are there any quality difference other than size? It seems unusual to me that a manufacturer would offer two models with only 1" size difference within the same line of TVs.

EDIT: Actually if you have a prime membership there's an additional $30 discount, so with prime it's $600.

ChubbyPitbull fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 1, 2015

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hey, is discussion of universal remotes kosher here? I couldn't find any other thread, but I may just be blind.

Assuming I'm good, I'm looking for a cheap new remote, hopefully under $60; I had a Logitech Harmony 550 for like seven years but it finally bit it. I was looking for another 550 but it's been discontinued for a while; the Harmony 350 is almost exactly what I'm looking for but it appears not to have the backlighting the 550 did. Does anybody have any other recommendations? All it needs to control is an AppleTV, a Comcast cable box, a Samsung dumb TV, and an Onkyo receiver.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

mentholmoose posted:

Hey, is discussion of universal remotes kosher here? I couldn't find any other thread, but I may just be blind.

Assuming I'm good, I'm looking for a cheap new remote, hopefully under $60; I had a Logitech Harmony 550 for like seven years but it finally bit it. I was looking for another 550 but it's been discontinued for a while; the Harmony 350 is almost exactly what I'm looking for but it appears not to have the backlighting the 550 did. Does anybody have any other recommendations? All it needs to control is an AppleTV, a Comcast cable box, a Samsung dumb TV, and an Onkyo receiver.

You want this.

e: Looks like it sold out since I linked it. Check eBay, or get the 650, which is far more frequently stocked.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 1, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

mentholmoose posted:

I got the Smart Hub for 80 on sale from Best Buy at some point and it was worth every penny. poo poo works awesome.

Grittykitty
Aug 10, 2004
Sand makes it scratchy
Soiled Meat

ddogflex posted:

Which is still fine, how is that a concern? I've had a 32" 720p Westinghouse for like 10 years. It's 1366x768, you can't tell... 32" is really small for a TV. You aren't using it as a computer monitor.

Great, thanks for the input.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

ChubbyPitbull posted:

Amazon has the 50" M50-C1 for $630 with prime, which would work within my budget thanks to some cash back options I have. Was thinking about cancelling my backorder for the 49" with Adorama to pick this up. Are there any quality difference other than size? It seems unusual to me that a manufacturer would offer two models with only 1" size difference within the same line of TVs.

EDIT: Actually if you have a prime membership there's an additional $30 discount, so with prime it's $600.

Pulled the trigger on this, was going to get the samsung 7100 for $350 (for 4:4:4) but got this instead an going to use the difference for a 4K gaming card for my media/game PC.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Well, poo poo. I just had my Vizio M70-C3 delivered, and after setting it up, I'm seeing faint horizontal black lines running across the entire middle of the screen. They're not thick, but incredibly distracting:

http://s4.postimg.org/faj17123h/IMG_2946.jpg

Is this something normal for a brand new TV that'll go away, or did it get messed up in shipping? Do I need to return it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's broken son

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Motherfucker.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah my old 2012 LG had a similar problem, was a pcb problem and it just continued to get worse over time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
One of my roommates has an LG LN52 (42") new in box that he's never opened. What would be a fair offer for it?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Elysium posted:

So my 2 year old Vizio E601-A3 just today started making a horrible high pitched noise and then turning itself off. You can turn it on again right away but after 5-20 minutes it will do it again. The Internet has me believing that I can replace the power supply board and it will probably fix it, does that sound right?

So I ordered a new power board. We plugged it in a pressed the on button... nothing. Then we noticed the ribbon for the power button came out. So we plugged it in and pressed the on button and... backlight, but nothing else. No vizio logo on bootup, no other screen graphics. Made sure all the connections were solid but same result. Put the old power board back in. Boots up right away, full picture. Lasted several hours before it turned itself off again.

So I guess I'll just return the power board for another one and try again...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Thanatosian posted:

One of my roommates has an LG LN52 (42") new in box that he's never opened. What would be a fair offer for it?

How old is it. Is it within the return period if it has defects?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

How old is it. Is it within the return period if it has defects?

I think he got it last Black Friday. Almost certainly not within a return period.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'd be wary of a 1 year old TV that hasn't been tested and can't be returned.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

I'd be wary of a 1 year old TV that hasn't been tested and can't be returned.
He's a good friend, and I won't buy it if he won't agree to take it back if there's a problem.

How much would be fair?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The current model new is 449. Kinda depends on how good a friend he is I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7A578BRXW69NT6T

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

The current model new is 449. Kinda depends on how good a friend he is I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7A578BRXW69NT6T

Oh, that actually links to a "newer model" that's only $300. That's hella weird.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-43LF5400-43-Inch-1080p/dp/B00ZVCZYTO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Given that it's two models old at this point apparently (it was definitely being sold in early 2014)... Is $200 fair?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont know, is it?

Thats really up to you.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
We got our Samsung UN65JS8500 all hooked up and man, it's so good. The smart stuff is really easy and snappy to navigate and the picture is fantastic. Thanks again for the recommendation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nice!

Did you have to do any calibration or was it pretty good out of the box? Turn off any of their motion handling?

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007

Jayo posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a TV between 38" and 42". Will be used for gaming, blurays, and netflix with an emphasis on gaming.

I'm in the UK and am looking to spend £350-£400. I realise that limits my options.

Is http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-42LF652V-Smart-webOS-Model/dp/B00UYZBLZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1448560330&sr=1-1 any decent?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Still after recommendations if anyone can help.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

sellouts posted:

Nice!

Did you have to do any calibration or was it pretty good out of the box? Turn off any of their motion handling?

I set the picture mode to vivid and turned the motion handling off. I'm still messing with it, but it looks awesome. I watched some 4k nature stuff on Netflix and was totally sold on the quality difference. It looks insane and I don't even feel bad not waiting on an oled TV. And at $2k, I feel like we did good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hamsystem posted:

I set the picture mode to vivid and turned the motion handling off. I'm still messing with it, but it looks awesome. I watched some 4k nature stuff on Netflix and was totally sold on the quality difference. It looks insane and I don't even feel bad not waiting on an oled TV. And at $2k, I feel like we did good.

No! Bad hamsystem! Bad!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

BonoMan posted:

No! Bad hamsystem! Bad!

It's actually dynamic, is there some issue I'm not aware of?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dynamic and vivid are both 'display room' modes where the TV is competing with a stack of others in a big room with lighting nothing like your own home.

Tune it using a calibration disc or choose Professional or Expert or whatever sounds closest at the least and tweak from there. You'll think 'this looks muddy and lifeless as poo poo' to start with but your eyes will adjust and you'll have a much more natural picture.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Vivid kills your sense of dynamic range by hamfisting contrast to its extremes. If you like it, I can't exactly force you over the Internet to change it, but understand it's the TV equivalent of looking at over-processed HDR photos.

A $100 calibration disc is literally 5% of what you paid for the TV!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I changed the mode to natural and messed around with the settings some while flipping between a few different movie and a football game to try and find a good balance. I'll order a calibration disk sooner or later, but everyone thinks the picture is amazing so I may not need to do much.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I've been contemplating between two 75" Sony TVs. XBR75X910C vs XBR75X850C. I think the 910C has an IPS screen. Is it worth the $1500?

Also, I've noticed that the 65" TVs in the same model numbers as above are significantly smaller. Is 75" pushing some sort of limit? Should I just wait a year or two until there's cheaper, larger panels? Should I wait until there's 4k content easily available?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Slowhanded posted:

Vivid kills your sense of dynamic range by hamfisting contrast to its extremes. If you like it, I can't exactly force you over the Internet to change it, but understand it's the TV equivalent of looking at over-processed HDR photos.

A $100 calibration disc is literally 5% of what you paid for the TV!

I'm curious, what's the advantage of a $100 calibration disc over something at a lower pricepoint (like the Disney World of Wonder blu-ray that I used for calibration and dropped like $15 on)? I know that I can still fine-tune my settings even more but I was under the impression that you don't really see much of a return on investment until you buy specialized equipment that costs hundreds of dollars/hire somebody with said equipment to roll out to your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The avs disc is a free download