Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

he looks like a bad influence imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I honestly can't believe Akira Toriyama never drew Goku smoking, I can't find anything but fanart

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Considering Oda smokes like a looney toon, it's more surprising that there's so few smokers in his manga

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Considering Oda smokes like a looney toon, it's more surprising that there's so few smokers in his manga

People who smoke: Sanji, Smoker
People who get chumped: Sanji, Smoker

... COINCIDENCE????

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I net Jacks real body just looks hilarious for how much poo poo he talks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm glad we're finally getting a bit of insight into what the gently caress is happening in Zou. I guess we kinda did come in in media res after the other guys had already done their thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Judo flipping monster cat.

I'd be happy if he's the last crew instead of Jinbei.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does anyone actually want Jinbei as the final crew member at this point, considering all the other much more interesting potential candidates?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm going to be the final Strawhat. Luffy will reach out of the computer and drag me into the manga like Captain N.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does anyone actually want Jinbei as the final crew member at this point, considering all the other much more interesting potential candidates?

He's a good straight man, he's an expert helmsman, and he comes up with strategy names. As we've seen with Operation SOP, strategy names are very important. He'd be a critical addition to the crew.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He's a jinbei wearin a jinbei named Jinbei who can summon other jinbei. And throw the ocean at people. So yes.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Besides Sanji and Smoker, there's Crocodile, Wyper, at least one of the Buster Call vice-admirals was a smoker, Shilew, Capone Bege... those are the major ones that spring to mind. There'll probably be more, along with more alcoholics.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Jinbei seems like a good fit, if for no other reason than we more or less know his backstory and he was the one who helped Luffy keep his poo poo together after Ace died. I think what ultimately stops him (and any other potential Straw Hats) is that there hasn't been a compelling reason for them to drop whatever it is they're doing and go with Luffy on an adventure. Dreams, etc., etc.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

He's a jinbei wearin a jinbei named Jinbei who can summon other jinbei. And throw the ocean at people. So yes.

Fair enough. I don't even remember any of this; I'm re-reading the series, but there's so much of it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Replace the front page post with this new color spread.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fair enough. I don't even remember any of this; I'm re-reading the series, but there's so much of it.

I think if I didn't keep up with this thread I wouldn't remember nearly as much as I do. I like how ridiculous Jinbei is as a character concept because he carries himself so seriously. He's just this walking contradiction. I want him to be buds with Frankie and bond over his boat :3:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like that some of the mink types are obviously the basis for some zombies from Thriller Bark

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Maybe he just got swole/ate an Ancient Zoan Devil Fruit and defected from the Marines after being arrested?

It's not like it's unprecedented (eg X-Drake). It seems odd too that the last pic of Jack only shows his left arm and not his right.

Just because someone gets the drop on you doesn't automatically make you a weakling. Luffy was able to pull off a sick nasty Red Hawk on Dofy with Law's help.

X-Drake was a Vice Admiral on the Grand Line who left because his superiors wouldn't let him attack Kaido. Morgan was a pissant Captain in East Blue who threw such weak rear end axe-punches they couldn't even wake Garp up from a nap. The two really aren't that comparable.

Advice posted:

Drake is almost definitely pulling a mole operation for the Marines. Wasn't he good friends with Smoker/Hina? We have no reason to believe he would suddenly defect, then try his rear end off to reach a high-ranking position specifically in Kaido's crew. Even Kizaru didn't know why he left, it's probably because there was no reason. He's on a secret op.

Drake's backstory is much more in line with either pulling an Ace with Kaido as his Whitebeard or, more likely, working his way up the ranks to get close enough to kill Kaido.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The new color spread is tits good

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Eiba posted:

The worst thing about that cat is that Nekomamushi couldn't compete in his debut chapter...

Yeah, I love how that dude is probably just a nameless bit character we'll never see again. He's still my fav. That Handsome Gentleman for next crew member.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Baller as poo poo.
It is indeed.

As for the chapter, I do have to wonder why Jack would revert back to human after getting a beatdown, and still look confident? Thrilled?

I smell Haki shenanigans approaching at ludicrous speed.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

It is indeed.

As for the chapter, I do have to wonder why Jack would revert back to human after getting a beatdown, and still look confident? Thrilled?

I'd say it's to go into the middle form, the middle form is always the strongest for Zoan users unless you're chopper. The full mammoth form probably has a ton of power but not much in the way of flexibility or movement, which against that cat is going to be an issue.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AradoBalanga posted:

It is indeed.

Generally, Zoan users are going to be strongest in either their human or midway transformations. Mamoths are notoriously lovely at punching after all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Plus he has a gas weapon that he knows will utterly wreck the minks and is either perfectly happy to use it or already knows that he's going to use it, since we know the broad outcome of this already.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

Generally, Zoan users are going to be strongest in either their human or midway transformations. Mamoths are notoriously lovely at punching after all.
This is Eichiro Oda, though. He'd find a way to make a mammoth drop a shoryuken on someone.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

AradoBalanga posted:

It is indeed.

He looked incredibly unfazed by that entire 'beatdown'. I doubt he's even remotely injured.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

We've already seen a giraffe's neck almost slicing Zoro in half. I'm sure his half-form will be a trunk sword of some sorts.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
Maybe the constant close-ups of Jack's eyes are Oda's response to everyone complaining about never seeing Dofy's eyes. Although after reading vol 76 it seems like we actually saw Dofy's eye on this page??

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fooma posted:

Do they include those splash pages in the english SJ? I can see some parents get up in arms about a comic for kids promoting drinking Beer, Smoking, and hanging out with cats.

Look on the seat under Luffy. Robin and Brooke, Actual Adults, are smoking. Luffy has a lollipop in his mouth. No comment on the :radcat:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Luffy could still be seen as a bad influence since he's passing a mini pistol to the cat on his head.

(And I just noticed Brook's smoke is also going out his eye sockets :yohoho:)

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Mechanigma posted:

Doffy's eye
that is indeed doffy's eye. as for jack its for scale. to show how big he is i suppose. considering he is a gigantic mammoth he has gigantic eyes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mechanigma posted:

Maybe the constant close-ups of Jack's eyes are Oda's response to everyone complaining about never seeing Dofy's eyes. Although after reading vol 76 it seems like we actually saw Dofy's eye on this page??

I don't remember this page at all, woah. Do they ever add pages in the collected volumes?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't remember this page at all, woah. Do they ever add pages in the collected volumes?

I don't think so, this one was definitely in the weekly release. I still wish we'd gotten a clearer look at him without the glasses, though.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Holy gently caress the anime's depiction of haki. I thought it was supposed to be a visual aid for the reader to know when someone was using it, did anyone ever even comment on being able to tell someone was using haki by the black stuff before they hit them/were hit? Now it's apparently swirling purple demon energy with sound effects. Yikes.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Thanks for reminding me why I don't watch the One Piece anime.
That episode was atrocious.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Advice posted:

Holy gently caress the anime's depiction of haki. I thought it was supposed to be a visual aid for the reader to know when someone was using it, did anyone ever even comment on being able to tell someone was using haki by the black stuff before they hit them/were hit? Now it's apparently swirling purple demon energy with sound effects. Yikes.

If you can use observation haki armament will show up as black, otherwise its invisible and poo poo I think... dunno about the terribad anime sound effects.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

This is the only color spread to just make me stop and soak it all in. It's amazingly good
Notice that Luffy isn't smoking, he has a lollipop. Look carefully and see the wrappers on the seat below him. :ssh:

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Asimo posted:

Notice that Luffy isn't smoking, he has a lollipop. Look carefully and see the wrappers on the seat below him. :ssh:

Those are condoms.

I miss the Ruin the Moment thread...

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Advice posted:

Yeah I wasn't a fan of that episode or the effects they chose to use either.

It's really weird, I thought the anime was stepping up it's game with the Frank vs Senor Pink, Diamante vs Kyros (actually arguably better than in the manga I think) and Laws flashback kinda gave me hope things were heading in the right direction. The filler they were adding wasn't even that bad. Then that episode hits. Pica literally stops and starts hurtling his giant fist at them three times and Usopp starts screaming every single time as if he can't get away. I don't even understand why they had a flashback to fighting Mihawk and saying he was gonna be the best in the world? It doesn't have any relevance to the fight, Zoro isn't struggling with Pica so it's nothing like Mr 1's fight where he's using the past to figure out how beat the guy. It's just completely out of place.

I just hope they don't gently caress up Gear 4, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. I'm even betting they'll extend the fight ala Hody Jones or Caesar Clown to make it more "epic" and completely miss the point that Luffy is meant to be completely dominating the fight instead of struggling.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Well, there was Jean Ango (cactus hat guy) at least.

I agree, though. I wish there were more credible high-level bounty hunters. I wonder if they mainly hang out in the New World due to the high risk:reward ratio and we just haven't seen much of it?

I'm kind of wondering if Mihawk wasn't a bounty hunter pre- Shichiboukai. It'd be the kind of profession that'd suit the guy and becoming a privateer wouldn't even be a big change of career in that case, since he'd be doing the same thing in a more official capacity. It'd also draw a parallel between him and Zoro, with both starting as bounty hunters. It's not a necessary parallel, but then neither was the straw-hat being Rogers and passed to Shanks.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't think so, this one was definitely in the weekly release. I still wish we'd gotten a clearer look at him without the glasses, though.

I imagine we haven't seen the last of Doflamingo yet, so maybe next time he shows up with some prominence it'll happen I guess?