Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am trying to symlink some folders off of my SSD so I can get some room. I run windows - do I need to symlink from the appdata folder or from my F: folder? I downloaded this link shell extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I just added my music to Plex, and that's all working fine. However I also wanted to add my music videos to it, and stuff got weird. Some stuff is showing up 100% fine. But some artists, named, tagged, and added the exact same way, aren't showing up at all. And other stuff, also named, tagged, and added the exact same way, are showing up with "Artist Name - Song Title" instead of just "Song Title." What should I be doing to get this to work right?

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
I'm going to be moving house soon and will likely be without internet access for a week or so. I'll be moving my HP microserver so will have all my content with me but without net access my Chromecast is going to be pretty much useless right? I believe it needs net access to load the plex.tv app before using that to stream local content.

What is my best option for the short term to get my (non-smart) TV to play media? I have some raspberry pi's lying around and I am thinking of installing a plex client on one of them - would that be workable? Or does anyone else have a better solution I have not thought of?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Seksiness posted:

I'm going to be moving house soon and will likely be without internet access for a week or so. I'll be moving my HP microserver so will have all my content with me but without net access my Chromecast is going to be pretty much useless right? I believe it needs net access to load the plex.tv app before using that to stream local content.

What is my best option for the short term to get my (non-smart) TV to play media? I have some raspberry pi's lying around and I am thinking of installing a plex client on one of them - would that be workable? Or does anyone else have a better solution I have not thought of?

It should still work fine so long as everything is connected to a local network. You can test this now by just unplugging your current internet connection and seeing what happens.

If the app on your phone doesn't work it should still work by connecting directly to the plex web page hosted on the microserver and casting from that.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
So in theory, if I pre-optimize some movies for iOS, and then sync them, the server won't re-transcode the original and then just send the pre-optimized version to my iPad?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chromecast needs to see internet access to work. Even if you set it up on a network, and it can join the network, it won't go any further until it can see the internet.

Any non-CC device should be fine on a local-only network, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I made a thread for Plex's main competitor, Emby: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753964

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm thinking of replacing my crappy little media PC with something simple that my wife can use, like a Roku or Fire stick (or even the 360.) I'm a little confused as to pricing though - I know Plex for the server is free, but do you have to get a month/year sub to use the app?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm thinking of replacing my crappy little media PC with something simple that my wife can use, like a Roku or Fire stick (or even the 360.) I'm a little confused as to pricing though - I know Plex for the server is free, but do you have to get a month/year sub to use the app?

App is a one-time purchase on most platforms (including Roku and Fire). The subscription membership gets you early access to features that are nice (like offline syncing to mobile devices) but are not critical to your use of Plex.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

As far as I know, some of the apps require Plex Pass while they're new or "in beta". The Playstation app is one of these. Not sure about the Roku or Fire TV apps though, but I think the Xbox app was recently made free.

The iOS app used to cost like $5, but now I think its free with Plex Pass or you can still purchase it separately.
Also the new Apple TV app is totally free despite being new.

It just varies depending on what platform you choose.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 3, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hello, I just picked up a new vizio tv that has the plex app, so I'm experimenting with it. Read through the thread, renamed all my media, started ripping my DVD collection, etc. Just a few quick questions, if you don't mind:

- Unless I'm being blind, the tv app doesn't seem to have any alternate display modes for displaying lists of shows or episodes. The web app lets you do box view vs vertical lists with descriptions. Is this hidden somewhere in some advanced option I need to turn on? The order the tv app is displaying episodes (top row 1, 3, 5, bottom row 2, 4, 6) is annoying me.

- I saw a lot of mentions of various plug-ins in the thread. Is there any consensus on must-have plug-ins? Right now, I'm running a plain vanilla plex server.

- Has the default agents been updated since the media formatting literature was written? I was trying to follow plex's directions exactly to add a short to a movie (same direction, include -short in the filename or put it in a subdirectory named shorts), but the agent kept mis-recognizing it as a movie named Shorts. When I manually corrected it in the program, it indeed recognized it, but put it as it's own separate entry in the movie listings, not as a supplement to the main movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bobulus posted:

Hello, I just picked up a new vizio tv that has the plex app, so I'm experimenting with it. Read through the thread, renamed all my media, started ripping my DVD collection, etc. Just a few quick questions, if you don't mind:

- Unless I'm being blind, the tv app doesn't seem to have any alternate display modes for displaying lists of shows or episodes. The web app lets you do box view vs vertical lists with descriptions. Is this hidden somewhere in some advanced option I need to turn on? The order the tv app is displaying episodes (top row 1, 3, 5, bottom row 2, 4, 6) is annoying me.

Not sure what the vizio plex app looks like, but if it's like the current UI that's being ported to every platform, then I don't believe there's a way to change the display of the episodes unfortunately. I personally don't like the UI layout of the new app, but it is something the devs have said they were working on in regards to bringing in more functionality.

quote:

- I saw a lot of mentions of various plug-ins in the thread. Is there any consensus on must-have plug-ins? Right now, I'm running a plain vanilla plex server.

Most plug-ins are for niche use cases. You most likely won't need to install anything additional in my experience.

quote:

- Has the default agents been updated since the media formatting literature was written? I was trying to follow plex's directions exactly to add a short to a movie (same direction, include -short in the filename or put it in a subdirectory named shorts), but the agent kept mis-recognizing it as a movie named Shorts. When I manually corrected it in the program, it indeed recognized it, but put it as it's own separate entry in the movie listings, not as a supplement to the main movie.

Have you made sure to enable "Local Media Assets" as one of the metadata agents? More info here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies If the -short or "Shorts" directory fails to scrape correctly, trying something else like -scene or a "Scenes" directory.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

After giving the beta version of Plex with the built in optimizer I uninstalled it and went back to the older version. I would start to optimize a show, maybe 10 episodes or so that were sd copies, and about 15-20 minutes later Plex would slow down to the point where it wouldn't load show pages or play anything. I checked task manager on the system and it was pegging all cores at around 99% on a HandBrakeCLI process. Since that really isn't acceptable, I went back to the old version and am just going to live with the transcoding to my girlfriends roku.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

diremonk posted:

After giving the beta version of Plex with the built in optimizer I uninstalled it and went back to the older version. I would start to optimize a show, maybe 10 episodes or so that were sd copies, and about 15-20 minutes later Plex would slow down to the point where it wouldn't load show pages or play anything. I checked task manager on the system and it was pegging all cores at around 99% on a HandBrakeCLI process. Since that really isn't acceptable, I went back to the old version and am just going to live with the transcoding to my girlfriends roku.

Yeah, the optimizer needs some work. It would straight up fail to optimize some files on my end, spitting out some obscure error. I'd wait maybe 2 or 3 revisions before considering using it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does anyone here know if you should still use those alternate/edited Chromecast Plex files that have better settings for streaming to chromecast? I know I remember reading about them over a year ago, but I don't know if they're still needed (or even which one to download since there seems to be multiple versions).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does anyone here know if you should still use those alternate/edited Chromecast Plex files that have better settings for streaming to chromecast? I know I remember reading about them over a year ago, but I don't know if they're still needed (or even which one to download since there seems to be multiple versions).

No, because as it turns out Plex puts a hardcap on the bitrate for Chromecasts streaming at 12Mbps. Any video file that has an overall bitrate higher than 12Mbps will be transcoded, regardless of any edited XML profiles. Any video file under the 12Mbps hardcap should be able to be Direct Played/Streamed without issue and no need for you to modify the XML profiles.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

teagone posted:

No, because as it turns out Plex puts a hardcap on the bitrate for Chromecasts streaming at 12Mbps. Any video file that has an overall bitrate higher than 12Mbps will be transcoded, regardless of any edited XML profiles. Any video file under the 12Mbps hardcap should be able to be Direct Played/Streamed without issue and no need for you to modify the XML profiles.

Cool, thanks!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ludwig van Halen posted:

As far as I know, some of the apps require Plex Pass while they're new or "in beta". The Playstation app is one of these. Not sure about the Roku or Fire TV apps though, but I think the Xbox app was recently made free.

I tried the Plex app last night on an Xbox One and it still said its in preview unfortunately.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The Xbox 360 one is out of preview but the Xbox one version isn't.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Roku app is free also.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Does Plex server make any modifications to file structures, or do I have to set things up in a special way for it to work? Currently, I just have a server with movies and shows sorted to Kodi standards. Do I just point Plex to that, or do I have to make any changes? And if it turns out I don't like Plex, and want to go back to Kodi, will I have any issues?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You should be fine, I'm pretty sure it holds it all internally in its DB rather than in NFO files (it's not great at dealing with existing NFO files even).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Cool, thanks. One thing I forgot to ask - do you point the server to directories, or does it just scan everything on a drive? I'm thinking of putting all my video onto an external drive and using something low powered (like a Raspberry Pi) for hardware, so I don't want Plex constantly trying to scan my C: drive or any other drives on the system. I've got a software folder on the same drive as my media and Kodi keeps trying to scan it and throws an error every time.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 6, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Cool, thanks. One thing I forgot to ask - do you point the server to directories, or does it just scan everything on a drive? I'm thinking of putting all my video onto an external drive and using something low powered (like a Raspberry Pi) for hardware, so I don't want Plex constantly trying to scan my C: drive or any other drives on the system. I've got a software folder on the same drive as my media and Kodi keeps trying to scan it and throws an error every time.

You can do either or. Before setting up a drive pool, I had Plex libraries pointed to folders and drives all the same. Plex will scan wherever you point it :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 6, 2015

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm trying to configure my setup so that I can access my videos over the internet. My setup is WAN --> Cable Modem (192.168.0.1) --> TP-Link Router (192.168.1.1) --> Plex Server (192.168.1.105).

UPNP isn't cutting it. I've tried manually port forwarding 32400 to the appropriate IPs... but I'm doing something wrong and I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong. Any tips?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You sure you aren't running into a double NAT? The cable modem has no routing ability or is set to bridge mode?

upnp should work. After that I'd dig into your router and check all upnp settings?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

sellouts posted:

You sure you aren't running into a double NAT? The cable modem has no routing ability or is set to bridge mode?

upnp should work. After that I'd dig into your router and check all upnp settings?
The cable modem is not set to bridge mode. I have UPNP enabled on both the router and the modem, but Plex is reporting that it isn't available via the internet. So, I tried manually port forwarding, and that doesn't work either. Or I'm setting it up wrong.

Edit: So, the a solution should be to set my modem to Bridge Mode?

Edit 2: Setting my modem to bridge mode and my router to uPNP still doesn't fix the problem. Hmmm.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 6, 2015

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
On your Plex server setup, manually set the server to use the default port. Then the server will actually listen on that port.

This burned me for a few versions

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Roundboy posted:

On your Plex server setup, manually set the server to use the default port. Then the server will actually listen on that port.

This burned me for a few versions
Already done. No difference so far.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sneeze Party posted:

Already done. No difference so far.

UPnP / NAT-PMP are disabled on my router and I (and friends and family) have no issues accessing my server outside of my home network. Try disabling UPnP NAT-PMP on your router?

[edit] Have you scoured the Troubleshooting Documentation for Remote Access? https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-myPlex-Server-connections

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 6, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Well question one should be, have you ever successfully had a port forwarded through that setup?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've used Plex for some home video files in the past. Now I'm trying it with music for the first time. I'm noticing that it seems to do its own thing with a lot of my album titles, disregarding the metadata.

For example, I'll have several singles by an artist, with embedded titles that all end in " - Single". This displays fine in iTunes, but in Plex I may have one title listed as " - Single", one as " (Single)," and one as " [Single]." I wouldn't really mind if this info was being auto-populated for the first time - but since I've already gone to the trouble of tagging everything consistently, it's annoying.

Can I force by own titles to be recognized without manually re-editing the labels in Plex? Or is it an all-or-nothing deal where I'd have to lose things like the Last.FM artist descriptions too?

I know, :spergin: problems, but I figured Plex was supposed to cater to this type of thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I use a Roku. As far as I recall Roku was free, but I paid a few quid for the Android app (which may or may not be the same as the Fire app, I dunno!)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Minidust posted:

I've used Plex for some home video files in the past. Now I'm trying it with music for the first time. I'm noticing that it seems to do its own thing with a lot of my album titles, disregarding the metadata.

For example, I'll have several singles by an artist, with embedded titles that all end in " - Single". This displays fine in iTunes, but in Plex I may have one title listed as " - Single", one as " (Single)," and one as " [Single]." I wouldn't really mind if this info was being auto-populated for the first time - but since I've already gone to the trouble of tagging everything consistently, it's annoying.

Can I force by own titles to be recognized without manually re-editing the labels in Plex? Or is it an all-or-nothing deal where I'd have to lose things like the Last.FM artist descriptions too?

I know, :spergin: problems, but I figured Plex was supposed to cater to this type of thing.

Subsonic is to music what Plex is to videos. They can both do both, but they're tailored for their respective focuses.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 14, 2015

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Xbone app supports channels now, so that's nice.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Jehde posted:

Subsonic is to music what Plex is to videos. They can both do both, but they're tailored for their respective focuses.

Plex seems to be getting involved with Music more now. I personally haven't dived into the music aspect, has anyone got a short review of Plex's music features and if they're good?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Plex for Xbox One and PS4 is now open for non-Pass holders. The app itself is also free which is cool.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jehde posted:

Thanks for this! Looks right up my alley. Is there an SA thread for it? I've got some questions. Like, the web app is listing ~2000 albums in my library, so it obviously sees my media - but I can't for the life of me find where to actually view or play anything:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There's no thread, but I don't see why there can't be any Subsonic chat here. I'm not sure why you're not seeing your albums, may have to do a refresh or something along those lines. Maybe it's established you have that amount of albums, but it still needs to take time to index everything? Normally (on my instance at least) there's a drop down list just above the 'Refresh' link on the left hand side where you select your library. Once you select your library then the left hand lists all the artists and the main view populates with album covers.

EDIT: Maybe double check the user access settings for the library in the Users settings.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jehde posted:

EDIT: Maybe double check the user access settings for the library in the Users settings.
That was it! I had to manually grant access to the media folder after I added/scanned it. Thanks! Which interface do you tend to use... the web page or one of the various apps?