Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Forgall posted:

Matt and Woolie seemed to like it a fair bit, so why would they be upset about it winning?

Because while the story is enjoyable to some it really didn't deserve to beat Rocket League or Undertale or literally anything that was up there. The fact it won best performance to is hilarious given how stilted the girls voice is.

Edit: I don't think they actually blocked Kojima from getting his award, it was a error in communication. Kojima couldn't accept because he was on his vacation and wouldn't be able to make it

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the game awards are a farce and witcher 3 winning goty was a total fluke

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

the game awards are a farce and witcher 3 winning goty was a total fluke

I am happy that we have an outlet for giving lifetime achievement awards+lavish presentations for loving King's Quest and Dune 2 personally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've heard of those two names but never played either, can't tell if you're being serious or not. Apparently they're good???

edit: check out this sweet color spread from this week's One Piece

dat cat

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The VGAs/VGXs are 3 hour commercials

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

I've heard of those two names but never played either, can't tell if you're being serious or not. Apparently they're good???

edit: check out this sweet color spread from this week's One Piece

Dune 2 and Kings Quest are ancient

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I wouldn't recommend playing either in 2015 but they're extremely important.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

I wouldn't recommend playing either in 2015 but they're extremely important.
Oh that's cool then. Lifetime achievement awards and stuff? Always good to appreciate those who were there before and laid the foundation for what came after. But the current games aspect of the VGAs has always been a joke

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Keighleys are a lot better than the Spike shows as far as the actual awards go. The musical segments and ads are disasters though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got pretty upset when I saw Psychonauts 2 and even more so when crowdfunding was brought into the equation

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Psychonauts is good.

The Iwata tribute was very bad. Like, Reggie's speech was excellent but sandwiched between a lovely PowerPoint and whatever the hell that piano segment was.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

Psychonauts is good.

It's one of my favorite games

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Psychonauts is super good

Psychonauts 2 probably not so much

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just don't trust Double Fine to make q good game anymore.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

gently caress'S SAKE LOWTAX GET THAT REDIRECT poo poo UNDER CONTROL

Anyway I sure won't be backing it but I still hope it's good. BA Act 1 was good! It's not like Schafer has been replaced by a horrible nightmare beast, he just hosed up Act 2!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

gently caress'S SAKE LOWTAX GET THAT REDIRECT poo poo UNDER CONTROL
what kind of hosed up world do we live in where people aren't using adblockers and noscript.

honestly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All I wanted was the platinum tmnt game to be announced and didnt get that. Besides that the show was boring in many parts but Not Bad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno, considering the runner-ups I'm fine with Her Story getting best narrative. TGA is poo poo tho. Also, if anything marks Konami's complete loss of credibility as a gaming company, it's the Doritos Pope grandstanding over them with unanimous support behind him. Hell, if that version of the facts was correct I'm behind him too.

Psychonauts 2 would make me very happy if it weren't for Double Fine's recent track record. I dunno what the gently caress is a Fig, but in their Fig page they're aiming for an actual budget of $13mi, between crowdfunding, their own cash and outside funding. While I'm sure that with good funds management they could make the sequel on that cash, well...anyway, I'm looking forward to exploring The Baz's brain.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dias posted:

Also, if anything marks Konami's complete loss of credibility as a gaming company, it's the Doritos Pope grandstanding over them with unanimous support behind him. Hell, if that version of the facts was correct I'm behind him too.
They sent the head of Konami's PR Department to pick up this year's Playstation Award gongs, a ceremony that Kojima had been a regular at in past years. While there's only one source for the cause of Kojima's absense at TGA (Geoff), it's not an isolated incident.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow the head honcho of Konami is one vindictive motherfucker. holy poo poo what I would give to find out what the gently caress is at the root of all this, it cant just be delays and costs of MGSV, shits way too evil for that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They might be able to keep Kojima from showing up, but can they stop Joakim Mogren?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rhonne posted:

They might be able to keep Kojima from showing up, but can they stop Joakim Mogren?
Mogren is current embroiled in an intense lawsuit with 7780s Studio, sadly.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Famed director of MGSV, Ainu Plisken.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The nominees for best score/soundtrack were a complete joke IMO.

Telltale's Batman game is pretty much confirmation of a new Best Friends LP, right?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Please god, no more Telltale LPs. Borderlands at most.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I cannot imagine how bad the telltale batman game will be

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Baal posted:

I cannot imagine how bad the telltale batman game will be

Which is exactly why they should play it!

But seriously though I really hope it's more of a Borderlands and less of anything else Telltale has ever done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pulp, accept my friend request already so I can send you the game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dexie posted:

Which is exactly why they should play it!

But seriously though I really hope it's more of a Borderlands and less of anything else Telltale has ever done.

Telltale is a good company that makes good games. They just shotgun properties to such an extent that they're doomed to a few duds every now and then.

Like, there was no chance of that Game of Thrones mess ever having a satisfying resolution, it's too strangled by canon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dexie posted:

please don't talk poo poo about ori and the blind forest

Telltale Batman could work. I find Batman more interesting when he's being the Greatest Detective instead of Action Heroman, and the Telltale format is quite suited for that. But it's probably gonna suck.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think canon is the problem with the GoT game.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
*watches the audio cut out for the majority of episode 4 of the GoT telltale games*

Nah trust me. Tale Tale is good at making games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I don't think canon is the problem with the GoT game.

It kinda is, because it hamstrings how much they can shape the story.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dias posted:

please don't talk poo poo about ori and the blind forest

My Game of the Year for sure.

And I knew as soon as I finally bought Rocket League on the PS4 during the recent Co-Op sale that it would get announced for the XBox One. At least I can play it for the next couple of months, I guess. From what I keep hearing, it's a game worth buying multiple times.

Have the Friends reached Ludwig the Accursed in The Old Hunters yet? DSP's recent shenanigans had him fight that boss 55-56 times and rage quit the game altogether after saying he wasn't going to play the DLC and then bought it and replaced it with a "customer appreciation" event after his fans donated money to his Patreon in order to be a part of it. Marvelous. :allears:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Dexie posted:

I can't believe Undertale didn't get nominated for best soundtrack.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's almost like it's a lovely award show.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's almost like it's an award show.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Charles Martel posted:

My Game of the Year for sure.

Mine's still Undertale, but Ori is a good-rear end game. 2015 was a good-rear end year for good-rear end games (and announcements) of all kinds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

At least poo poo like the Oscars have the whole industry nominating and voting. The VGAs are 30 people and the awards are sandwiched between tons of ads. Did you forget how last year they had to give a bunch of the awards out on the carpet before the show began because of how many 'world premier' trailers there were?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Dias posted:

Mine's still Undertale, but Ori is a good-rear end game. 2015 was a good-rear end year for good-rear end games (and announcements) of all kinds.

Ori and the Blind Forest would be one of my favorite games if it didn't lock you out of your save file after beating it. Let me go back and get 100% after I finish the story, or at least make the point of no return incredibly obvious before I pass it. I know it's a dumb thing to get upset about but it really lowered my opinion of the entire game that I couldn't go back and finish exploring/collecting poo poo.