Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I am realllllllllllllllly over crowd funding games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'll be funded no matter what you do because it already has over $600 of the $3.3 million it's asking for, so don't worry about it

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
my ps4 sounds like a goddamn hair dryer while sitting on this uncharted 4 mp menu, is there something wrong with it or is that normal? It's one of the older models with the shiny plastic

I hope there's nothing wrong with it, it feels pretty hot and it's not venting much air out the back, might be clogged or something

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So when's the patch that fixes JC3's ridiculous load times going to come out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cat doter posted:

my ps4 sounds like a goddamn hair dryer while sitting on this uncharted 4 mp menu, is there something wrong with it or is that normal? It's one of the older models with the shiny plastic

I hope there's nothing wrong with it, it feels pretty hot and it's not venting much air out the back, might be clogged or something

The PS4 goes nuts at really odd points. Transistor isn't very demanding on the hardware but makes the fans howl. MGSV stresses it worst when you're just sitting in the helicopter between missions.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tomb Raider used to make my PS4 sound like a jet engine to the point that I thought it was dying but no other game has ever taxed it like that.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's a good question. I played it for about 2 hours when it came out. Gradually, anything that incurred load times (mainly, repeating wingsuit trials until I got five gears) caused load times to get longer, until the point where I was waiting close to 2 minutes for a reload to finish. I haven't gone back to it since, and won't until it's patched.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think there is some weird SDK bug on the PS4 where it tries to render as many frames as possible at all times, so when a game is in a menu it's probably trying to hit like 300fps and it makes the GPU go nuts. Too many games have had weird issues attributed to high fps, starting with COD Ghosts.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

They said to expect it at the same time Sony releases the update unlocking 4K60 resolution and UltraHD Blu-ray playback capability.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

cat doter posted:

TLOU SP used to destroy PS3s to the point where mine would shut down due to overheating, so I'm not surprised Naughty Dog have returned to annihilating consoles.

It's very rare for PlayStations, but not unfamiliar territory.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

The devs say it'll take some time to figure out the problem.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Reverse Centaur posted:

First look at Far Cry Primal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYyqRWULljk

Setting is interesting but looks like a lot of re-used assets.

Is there a non-youtube source for this anywhere? God drat youtube compression sucks rear end.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

ufarn posted:

TLOU SP used to destroy PS3s to the point where mine would shut down due to overheating, so I'm not surprised Naughty Dog have returned to annihilating consoles.

It's very rare for PlayStations, but not unfamiliar Uncharted territory.

:dukedog:

Also Siege is really good even though I am really bad at it. poo poo gets intense.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Far Cry Primal: How much poo poo can we pre-Steal from Wild?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Policenaut posted:

Article about it. God drat it, the pre-existing PS2 Classics really won't be compatible?!

poo poo rear end dickfuck :argh:

fracturing the releases so some PS2 games are available on PS3 but others are on PS4, and there's no overlap between them. wonderful. great decision making there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

People with the PC version have said putting Steam in offline mode reduces them to seconds, so that's sort of a hopeful sign.

Instant Grat posted:

fracturing the releases so some PS2 games are available on PS3 but others are on PS4, and there's no overlap between them. wonderful. great decision making there

You do realize that it would require emulating the PS3 emulating the PS2, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Instant Grat posted:

I don't think you understand how emulation works.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think you understand how emulation works.

that doesn't make it a reasonable business decision in any sense, from a consumer standpoint it's idiotic

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Do not give Tim Schafer money

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The PSOne emulator that runs on PS3, PSP, and Vita also isn't exactly the same emulator obviously. You couldn't literally take the same code and run it on a Vita that runs on a PSP, which is why the PSOne classics didn't work on the vita at first. This is a pretty big change to fracture the classic releases like this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Instant Grat posted:

that doesn't make it a reasonable business decision in any sense, from a consumer standpoint it's idiotic

I think not doing an impossible thing is probably reasonable, as much as it hurts some consumers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Harlock posted:

Do not give Tim Schafer money

I'm gonna

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nail Rat posted:

The PSOne emulator that runs on PS3, PSP, and Vita also isn't exactly the same emulator obviously. You couldn't literally take the same code and run it on a Vita that runs on a PSP, which is why the PSOne classics didn't work on the vita at first. This is a pretty big change to fracture the classic releases like this.

Opening with a new title's a much better proposition, especially a cult classic, because the inference remains that there'll be more that they've managed to get working on a PS4 that they couldn't on PS3 for whatever reason.

Aphrodite posted:

I think not doing an impossible thing is probably reasonable, as much as it hurts some consumers.

Yeah, the bottom line is that just because it worked fine on a PS3 by no means guarantees it's going to work on a PS4's architecture. They've gotta rebuild and tailor the emulators from the ground up for every game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Aphrodite posted:

You do realize that it would require emulating the PS3 emulating the PS2, right?

I think he's getting more at the purchase side of things. A more consumer-friendly policy would be to forward your classic purchases even if the emulator is being re-written. This is an entirely reasonable position.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Gauntlet is a Good Game, and it's free get in the bandwagon yall.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

All I want is GOD HAND

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bloodychill posted:

I think he's getting more at the purchase side of things. A more consumer-friendly policy would be to forward your classic purchases even if the emulator is being re-written. This is an entirely reasonable position.

We don't actually know what they're doing. The official stuff only comes out tomorrow.

It doesn't work mechanically with PS3's PS2 Classics, or discs. That's all they're saying right now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I love how he spearheaded making his own crowd funding platform to get more money to waste instead of it going to Kickstarter fees

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I might eventually, but they want $60 for console versions and well, nope.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Way I see it, Schafer has only had one game just completely fall apart on him. If Psychonauts 2 is fraught with development troubles, delays, whatever I don't really care. As long as it comes out and captures even a fraction of what I loved about the original then I'm willing to risk it.

Athenry posted:

I might eventually, but they want $60 for console versions and well, nope.

Yeah that's dumb I'll just be contributing enough for the PC version which sounds like a fair price.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I've been a Metal Gear fan since the very first NES game - always loved the sneaking, the gear, the weirdness, the crazy tone, etc. Devoured Ground Zeroes and loved TPP for about 20 hours but I put it down somewhere around episode 23 or so and can't convince myself to pick it up again months later.

I feel guilty about it but I think it's just too free-form of a MGS game for me and I miss the driving force of a typical (loopy) MGS story. It's a fun semi-open world, to be sure, and an amazing game on a technical level but I just don't feel like it has a heart, or something.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I kind of want them to emulate PS2 Super Puzzle Fighter but I'd much rather they just ported the HD remake.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Even jackfrags can't make uncharted 4 multiplayer look interesting

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Things:

1) Weren't PS4 bundles supposed to go cheaper (Uncharted and Star Wars) starting today? Or was that not today?) Retailers don't seem to have them cheaper yet. (at least not Target or Amazon)

2) Just Cause 3 is dumb fun. But it may end up being so unfocused that I just don't care? I'm glad I rented it from Gamefly. I'm maybe an hour in, if that, and I'm like, going around doing stuff with like zero motivation or guidance. Yes, I know you make your own fun... and I am... but this is going to get old real fast if it's this unfocused. I have all these icons when I enter a base in the upper right and doing stuff makes some of them disappear but they don't say what they are and scavenger hunting every square inch of a base is mondo unfun.

3) The Old Hunters (BB) is like the best holiday gift ever. That game is so good and the DLC is so extremely my poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

univbee posted:

Gonna depend on your definition of exclusive here, like if PC, 360, Vita and/or PS3 versions count.

Exclusive, as in, exclusive to the PS4. :v:

I don't really like The Last of Us or Uncharted anyways, so I guess I'll hold off for awhile on a PS4. Bloodborne is really cool but of the other 2 games I really am interested in on PS4, one got cancelled and the other I just got the 360 version. :shrug:

Was the last console generation this slow? Even the Wii U only has like a dozen games that people talk about a lot and that's been out longer.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

el oso posted:

I've been a Metal Gear fan since the very first NES game - always loved the sneaking, the gear, the weirdness, the crazy tone, etc. Devoured Ground Zeroes and loved TPP for about 20 hours but I put it down somewhere around episode 23 or so and can't convince myself to pick it up again months later.

I feel guilty about it but I think it's just too free-form of a MGS game for me and I miss the driving force of a typical (loopy) MGS story. It's a fun semi-open world, to be sure, and an amazing game on a technical level but I just don't feel like it has a heart, or something.

That's pretty much how I feel about the game, except I made it into the 30s. Just can't bring myself to trudge through the third act, which is a drat shame.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Feenix posted:

2) Just Cause 3 is dumb fun. But it may end up being so unfocused that I just don't care? I'm glad I rented it from Gamefly. I'm maybe an hour in, if that, and I'm like, going around doing stuff with like zero motivation or guidance. Yes, I know you make your own fun... and I am... but this is going to get old real fast if it's this unfocused. I have all these icons when I enter a base in the upper right and doing stuff makes some of them disappear but they don't say what they are and scavenger hunting every square inch of a base is mondo unfun.

As you destroy stuff in bases the remaining objects will start to appear on your map, getting more and more clear as you whittle down the number of destructibles left. It's not ideal to have to constantly be opening and closing the map, but it helps a lot when it comes to finding the last one or two things.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I wonder if Just Cause 3's collectibles are actually 100%-able. I spent well over 100 hours in Just Cause 2 on the 360 only to realize you couldn't actually 100% the game due to an unfixable bug. I was at 99.97% or something like that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh hell yeah Shadow Complex: Remastered is coming to PS4 early next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

So look on the map where the icons have labels.

• Locked thread